INMOTION V12

Mike Roe

The wheel is supposed to beep at the speed alarms set in the app right? I have my first alarm set to I think 28mph and the second alarm set to 30 something but I haven't heard the first alarm despite hitting 28 multiple times. 

Is my volume just too low or something? Guess I'll turn it to 100...

Gonna try setting my speed alarm to something ridiculous like 5mph just to test if it's even beeping

EDIT: Set my speed alarm to 3mph, it's definitely going off. Guess I just can't hear the alarm with the wind sound+helmet. Pretty dangerous

Edited by StudentOfTheWheel
adding on to my previous comment
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, StudentOfTheWheel said:

The wheel is supposed to beep at the speed alarms set in the app right? I have my first alarm set to I think 28mph and the second alarm set to 30 something but I haven't heard the first alarm despite hitting 28 multiple times. 

Gonna try setting my speed alarm to something ridiculous like 5mph just to test if it's even beeping

Yes, I believe you should be able to confirm these speed limit were applied on the V12 built-in display.
By the way beeps should also match with tilt-back.

4 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Some might be linked to shortage and disruptions of the supply chain (poorly performing alternatives, grade B components or fake making it into the final product?). In all cases Inmotion has a lot of problems to solve.

This is exactly why I was going to wait another year or more before buying a new wheel with so many possible items being sourced from unproven places but my excitement got the better of me on this one.

7 minutes ago, supercurio said:

By the way beeps should also match with tilt-back.

I still don't really know what tiltback feels like, is it noticeable and hard to push through? I'm scared to push my wheel because I'm worried I'm gonna inadvertently push through the tiltback like how Onewheel riders accidentally push through pushback. But it also seems like a waste to have a fast wheel if I'm scared of going too fast lol

48 minutes ago, StudentOfTheWheel said:

I still don't really know what tiltback feels like, is it noticeable and hard to push through? I'm scared to push my wheel because I'm worried I'm gonna inadvertently push through the tiltback like how Onewheel riders accidentally push through pushback. But it also seems like a waste to have a fast wheel if I'm scared of going too fast lol

You're absolutely right to be scared before practicing it ^_^

It should be totally fine tho once training for it a little, both to not inadvertently fight it & lose balance, and learn to identify it as a valuable signal to take into account and respect.
Setting the speed limit to a low value, like 10 then 20 kph and try what happens is an excellent idea!
I expect Inmotion to have implemented it well for speed limit.

On the flip side, some tiltback are not well made, like the one on the Sherman which is bad in its own right then amplified once braking, and Inmotion's tiltback on low battery and overload on the V10 and some other wheels, which angle is so steep that some people I know fell off the wheel.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, supercurio said:

I have to admit that my confidence in Inmotion for higher safety and reliability is down the drain.
For instance, I chose a Sherman because despite its popularity, this type of failure seems to simply not happen.
I still trust Inmotion design regarding battery safety however, since none of these 30% BMS failure ended in a fire.

Let's put this in context. Now I am not saying there isn't a problem. But yet how many wheels has been shipped out and how many have we heard that has an issue? I don't know. You reseller doesn't know either on a global level I suspect. 

So let's see how many have had issues with their sherman? I know some haf fires happening and other had other issues too. Now you will find more desterbing news from Hawaii on a fatial incident resulted by a rider talking his wheel on the freeway and lost control (could be cut out or other reasons the news didn't say yet). Now if the fall or being run over by cars was the main cause I can't say either. 

And yes this could have happened to an Inmotion rider too. Or KS rider for that matter. 

In the end product confidence should not just be on one's own experience on once own wheels. And it is part of the design risk despite most riders do not what to admit this. Products fail sometimes random sometimes you can foresee this. But they will fail eventually that we know for sure. 

This is something any rider should know when riding an EUC. Ignoring this is a big riders mistake in my opinion. 

Yes this is not fun inspiring. But it doesn't change because you as rider want it to. 

The way I deal with this myself is gearing up. In how I ride and where I ride and how fast and aggressive I ride. I learned this direct on my body. I do not stop riding but I take my precautions. The risk is still there yet it is a calculated risk I a Lone accepted whenever I ride. 

There is simply no way for a EUC to be made so it has sufficient plan B in case of a failure. Now if gear box or transmission dies on a car or mc it doesn't effect balance in a fatial way at once. On an EUC it is a VERY critical to have traction and surplus of power to maintain balance. 

There is not anything we can do about this right now. I seriously doubt there ever will be a solution when using wheels. And forcefield.... Well we are not really there yet. 

Note: the fatal incident can been found in the debate section. Different news flashes has reported on it. Some with more details than others. 

This blind trust in how safe some riders feel. And how fast they are willing to ride an EUC is why I a little time started the debate what is fast enough for an EUC. The sad news story was the thing I hope we could avoid. But from the response I were sure it was only a matter of time. 

So my point is no matter what brand you ride and model and generation this can happen anytime. So blame me of sugar coating things at times. But it is naive to think you will never have any fault if your qc is strong enough. 

I ride geared up in full lvl2 3D0 padded mc suit and carbon mc helmet. That is 2000$ gear alone. And I have set my top speed limit at 40kmh. That is my risk acceptances limit. You pick your choice as you want as a reader and rider. Despite accident and incidents

I love to ride and do it as much as I can. Not as much as it is fun but it helps me a lot to maintain movement of a rheumatic limited body if I don't ride. And I use my car mostly as backup especially in winter season. I take less risk this way. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, StudentOfTheWheel said:

As someone suggested. You must learn how it feels and how to handle this. If you don't you will get hurt big time. 

And the way to do this is set a lower speed limit and slowly raise it within what you can walk or run off. 

Now when you set the full top speed there is a few things to keep in mind. You do not have the same power to make the tiltback to kick in despite a headroom. So the tiltback might not be felt as strong and it depends a lot on how aggressive you hit the speed limit or now the speed capabilities. 

Inmotion is general have a conservative approach so your headroom is in general bigger than most other wheels. 

So tiltback is something that you need to be familiar with and same goes with emergency braking. Training makes master and you can't just read about it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StudentOfTheWheel said:

YOull notice it. You aint gna push thru it like a onewheel. First time I hit tiltback on my 18xl, I was railing thru a turn on the street at 31mph. Kinda startled me, but i maintained the turn and all was fine. I could have ignored it and kept leaning into it, but it would not have been from lack of noticing. You shouldnt be pushing hard to accel, once you are already moving near top speed. Stay alert, but dont worry so much, this aint a OneWheel. Your biggest concern should be equipment failure or rider error. Not being able to hear beeps is kind of both. Fwiw, you can blast to cutoff/overlean w/o the device having a chance to warn you. Tiltback is speed related, cutoffs are power related. Nothing is stopping you from lowering your tiltback and trying it. Well, nothing but fear or lack of skill.:eff02be2d7:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, supercurio said:

IMO:

• a board failing because it's over-burned driving a motor at 8 kW sustained during hill climbing
  • an over-lean in a strong acceleration

Are understandable, predictable and ultimately avoidable by learning the physical limits of the motor/controller/battery combination.
Generally, software alarms can prevent them reliably. Not an excuse for not being provided out of the box without a 3rd party app, but they work.

However, failures which are random or loosely following some kind of pattern like this "low speed bump failure" are more serious, because there's no method to avoid them.

Even you @Unventor got hurt with this type of unpredictable failure on the V11.
It doesn't seem Inmotion improved their process on the V12 with all the time passed since then.

It's great that their wheels don't end up in flames. But I don't think we should give Inmotion a pass for dumping riders onto the ground for no reason, only because a few years ago they were making safe wheels. It doesn't seem to be the case anymore, comparatively.

I didn't give them any pass at all.  But products fails. 

If you sell 10 units and 3 fails it is bad. 

If you sell 100 units with 3 failing. Not great

If you sell 10000 where do you draw the line? 

Even cars have problems, less than 10% goes thought their warranty period fault free. And well know brands do recalls on a massive scale. It has happen to all car makers. 

So if we take apple as a benchmark do not get me started. 

Now I work for a top 100 know brand in it/opp/camera business. Our fault rate is about 0.3%. It is outstanding yet when you sell on a global scale like we do some are bound to be among the 0.3%.

Yes I too had my share of problems with EUCs. I did by 3 wheels as 1st batch. 

So really where do we draw the line that is acceptable because no faults and perfect is not going to happen. 

And yes I don't expect to get likes from this post. I wish it were different. But it is what it is. 

So about processes. How did you the facts and insights on this? 

Also on a side note. If you can push a wheel to the point if goes starts a fire that is a serious design flaw that should not be allowed to be sold in my book. Despite the rider should know better. There should be satiety messages that stops catastrophic abuse. I really think the people that liked your post should think a moment on this. 

Yet it doesn't change we all like problem free products. 

Also my V11 problems has been partly induced by myself during a tire change. I fried a drive board. I then got a faulty spare. It happens. Also in my company even if we have been in business since late 1930ish. And I had fault indicators with none matching firmware version yet I took it for a ride as it still did balance. I had strong indication it wasn't safe to ride. 

Edited by Unventor

6 hours ago, StudentOfTheWheel said:

EDIT: Set my speed alarm to 3mph, it's definitely going off. Guess I just can't hear the alarm with the wind sound+helmet. Pretty dangerous

Alarms are hard to hear as speeds picks up. It is the same on almost all wheels. 

Both wind noise and direction of the speakers come into play. 

This is why I wear a portable speaker on the front of my chest attached to my backpack harness. (the orange thingy.)

Winter gear december 2021

I don't ride by beeps. Over time I learned to assess my speed. Also instead of beeps I use a as from euc.world played by my speaker so I can hear speed from the pitch changing. 

But sound isn't my main perception of speed. It is only the 3rd sense. I use visual estimate from subconscious counting as I ride. And the sensation on win direction and drag and secondary sensation. 

If you are to hear sound from building speakers the optimal direction is point forward and upwards. That way you ride into the play direction. I just found sound or beeps are not great in windy conditions or as speeds picks up. Another reason why I dislike going faster than 40kmh these days. 

@Unventor you hit the nail on the head with proper gear. 

I just had my first crash in over 2yrs. Riding ok n a single track with a section along a ridge line that drops off to the left. It's dusty and has lots of small stones and some half buried rocks. I've ridden that trail a lot. 

The K66 handles off road conditions like this very well but yesterday I hit one of the half buried rocks with the side of the tire and it turned me off the side. I landed about 4ft down on my right shoulder and continued to roll all the way down the embankment. The RST made it down in front of me, bumpers did their job and my prices of dumb bell matt (like a yoga Matt but 5 times thicker) along with my side pads protected the wheel perfectly. 

I was wearing TCX Street Ace motorcycle shoes with heal cups, D30 downhill mnt bike knew pads that cover the intter and outer knee are and most of the shin, a Dianese motorcycle jacket with a level 2 back protector and chest plates, wrist guard and one of my old dirt bike helmets (Troy Lee air circa 2009). 

I rolled down a rocky 20ft mini cliff and my only discomfort is sornes mostly from be way out of shape compared to my younger self. 

Had both the wheel and I not been geared up for this type of riding (I was going aprox 15 to 18mph when I went over the edge) I'd have mess up pretty bad and the wheel would have been pretty beat up too. Falling down a steep ravine gave me time to blow off impact energy but the bottom was still a hard sudden stop, on rocks, on my back. My back plate saved my ass.

The sad part is when riding to a store, or just on the pavement I don't wear nearly as much gear, opting for elbow pads, same knee pads, wrist guard and often a non full face bicycle Hemet. I don't pay attention to the fact at any point the equipment could fail, when not stress, just cruising down the street. At a min I think I need to dedicate myself to riding in a full face all the time, but I know I won't gear up like I do for hard off road riding when going to the local store.

• Like 3

I will tell you what the V12 tiltback feels like since it is different then any other wheel I have ridden.  I have my settings all maxed out so when I am at full battery the first stage of tiltback is at 40MPH.  It feels like a suggestion.  It doesn't say, HELL NO! slow down.  It just brings your toes up a smidge and keeps them there until you drop to 39.  If you barely bounce 40 you may not even realize that tiltback happened.  If you get to 41, your toes go up even more. At 41, there is no question that your are tilting back.  It will feel slightly awkward.  At 42 your toes are up enough that it is hard to really accelerate.  You have to be making an effort at this point to even keep it at 42.  I have yet to get past this point.  43 is pretty hard to hit unless  you are absolutely trying to do it.  I have messed around with hard acceleration at the top end and I never get past 42.

42 minutes ago, Flying W said:

@Unventor you hit the nail on the head with proper gear. 

I just had my first crash in over 2yrs. Riding ok n a single track with a section along a ridge line that drops off to the left. It's dusty and has lots of small stones and some half buried rocks. I've ridden that trail a lot

It often takes an incident before the rider fully understand the forces at play and how fragile a body can be. And what little it takes to have a very different outcome. With my luck I should have won more money than Elon Musk has. I got enough hurt to learn from it but yet not so much that I couldn't recover from it (yet). 

From what I read you seems to have escaped with a reminder and likely to be sore in a few days. I hope you recover fast. And thanks for sharing your story. 👍

I have been in your situation that I would change how much gear I would need to be wearing. These days I don't expect for 2 specific things. 

When I use the V10f from apartment to garage (140m) or picking up food from pizza place 300m from work. Then I wear a normal tsg bicycle helmet. Otherwise it is full mc suit and tsg pass or klim mc helmet all the time. In summer I wear small skater wrist guards with the mc suit. At winter no wrist guard but thick weatherproofed gloves. 

Now since a year back I never deviate from this. That is the good part of wearing mc suit all comes on and off fairly fast and my mindset shift into euc ride mode as I put it on. 

At very hot summer time I might use 3d0 knee pads but I prefer to use mc pants. 

I also prefer to wear my backpack even if empty. It help because of my speaker but also to be more visual in traffic. So it is very rare I don't use it. 

• Like 1

Welcome @Timwheel!

Gathering statistical data is a good idea, especially if we can make it kind of a duty to participate for everyone owning a wheel: with and without issue.
I'm not sure how it could be incentivized positively and avoid it being gamed/corrupt by bad data for profit, but it's probably worth trying.

Regarding issues reported on the V12, there's no doubt many riders are quiet because everything works great and we hear about the problems instead. But at the same time, the V12 rollout is only at its beginning and the total amount of owners today worldwide must be fairly limited.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 2

I think I'm getting close to 200 miles / 322 km on my wheel, received beginning of November. I've purposely went into speed bumps at low speed and hit bumpy roads around mid 20 mphs /  32 kph. Top speed has been about 32mph / 51 kph. No heavy torquing it, no curb/stair drops. 

One minor surprise was on a full charge, taken out of my car trunk, board was 50f / 10c in the morning. I was turning it on while leaning on the front of the wheel, it alerted saying "overpowered, please get off" so I power cycled. It then said "please repair". Power cycled again, and no issues. Wheel has been riding fine. Diagnostic showed no issues when it happened. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Waulnut said:

I think I'm getting close to 200 miles / 322 km on my wheel, received beginning of November. I've purposely went into speed bumps at low speed and hit bumpy roads around mid 20 mphs /  32 kph. Top speed has been about 32mph / 51 kph. No heavy torquing it, no curb/stair drops. 

One minor surprise was on a full charge, taken out of my car trunk, board was 50f / 10c in the morning. I was turning it on while leaning on the front of the wheel, it alerted saying "overpowered, please get off" so I power cycled. It then said "please repair". Power cycled again, and no issues. Wheel has been riding fine. Diagnostic showed no issues when it happened. 

Doncha just love those intermittent Gremlins? Makes ya feel all warm and cozy when a device that has one wheel, says crap like that and you can't figure out why. Don't worry, itl be nagging in the back of your head for a while. This aint your first rodeo, so Im sure its not gna make you pause long. The stuff we put up with in the pursuit of magic.

• Like 2

I believe that, much like my V10f, that when you shut down the V12, it really doesn't power off fully.  Many times when I've had my V10F shut off (but plugged in) and I want to play music on my phone, the speakers start blaring on my euc as Bluetooth is still connected.  I think the euc still had some phantom power running despite being powered off.  I think that may be the reason why there is a transport mode setting...to prevent a possible powertrain/overheat issue during shipping.  

Regarding powering on, I always hold my euc in its standard upright position, so I never encountered an "overpower" warning.  

8 minutes ago, Waulnut said:

1 minute ago, Grimm10 said:

Regarding powering on, I always hold my euc in its standard upright position, so I never encountered an "overpower" warning.  

Yeah it was weird. I tested a few times after that same day and it didn't pop up again. 

2 minutes ago, Waulnut said:

Yeah it was weird. I tested a few times after that same day and it didn't pop up again. 

I suggest to upload diagnostic data using the IM app. Then ask on the telegram channel if Feng Jung can see anything odd in the data. IM has kinda like a black box function for these things. They can sometimes find some pretty amazing things from that data. 

I know from doing beta firmware test for V11. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Doncha just love those intermittent Gremlins? Makes ya feel all warm and cozy when a device that has one wheel, says crap like that and you can't figure out why. Don't worry, itl be nagging in the back of your head for a while. This aint your first rodeo, so Im sure its not gna make you pause long. The stuff we put up with in the pursuit of magic.

I went around it safely for a while and since I didn't eat pavement while full geared, I gave it a pass 😅. EUC, to me, is never 100% safe so always ride with caution when I do. 

2 minutes ago, Unventor said:

suggest to upload diagnostic data using the IM app. Then ask on the telegram channel if Feng Jung can see anything odd in the data.

Didn't know that is possible. Can it still be done even after the fact?