INMOTION V12

Mike Roe

2 minutes ago, Paul g said:

12x125V mosfets cost - 12 x100V mosfets cost won’t mount to 150% increase in price for the entire wheel. For that money  it would be the Ferrari of EUCs and made of carbon fibre.  Would need more than just better mosfets to motivate the price. 

Of course. The price increase would be across the board for all  components, plus the additional time to install, the extra manpower needed to be hired to ensure adhering to QA standards etc.Training of staff etc. Person to oversee and write training, standard operating procedures. The purchasing officer would have to source all parts from QA approved suppliers etc. Quality of parts etc. I was using £5k as a theoretical example. Say fluke multimeter is usually £300, but get something that does the same kind of thing for £120. 2.5x less. That is all. Hopefully they could produce a decent wheel that meet the safety requirements we want for less. But I don't know. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I fully agree with your post above @RagingGrandpa.

I think Inmotion got cough by surprise and got a short straw. 

I agree also that steps needs to be taken to avoid situations like these as much as possible. 

From what I know of pcb testing these are often "stress tested" with test chambers to ensure environment functions. (from when I were interviewed for a job many years ago, how Inmotion do I have no idea).

But in fully assembly in a full wheel, once wheel model has passed into production I guess most would assume it is safe. Streamlining production or shifting component supplier can bring on surprises you didn't anticipate. 

We see this happening in almost any electronic use in many businesses, so not just an EUC problem. It is also why we see massive car recalls from all brands from time to time (electronic or mechanical). 

The last 3 models Inmotion released had initial problems. But has been resolved with the V10 series (was a fast detected and resolved) and V11 (complex bearing problem that needed long term testing before it was resolved).

Soon I suspect a fix for V12 too from the statements from Inmotion staff made public here and other social media places. 

From what I have seem in the time from riding my first EUC, a V8, Inmotion has been committed to have problem free products.. Overall they had good quality results from early models and V8 and V10 from what yearly reports made public by EcoDrift. 

I have not seen numbers of last year and for V11. 

It is so easy to think switching brand will make things better. But overall in my opinion there isn't a huge difference. But I do appreciate to have info coming to public direct from the brand I invent in. KS had this before, and said they will get a replacement from Jack. But so far it has been quiet as far as I know. 

I never seen anything from GW/sister-brands. Only stuff from you tubers and Influencers. 

To me this look like Inmotion do try harder. It is not the same as 100% success all the time, but I view them as very committed. 

One of the old brands like Ninebot didn't care from their resellers and customers from owners I heard about here. That brand is not active anymore. So I view it as critical for a brand to listen and engaging with their customers/end-users. 

Some call me a fanboy. I view it more like supporting a brand with a design philosophy and commitment. As a community we can choose if working together to get relevant and safer products by helping out the manufacturer or one can sit and point a blame finger. I don't believe on the last option. But maybe that is just me. 

Ninebot is currently VERY active just not with EUCs. 

Nearly everything else they make is now available at a huge US retail chain, Best Buy. EUCs were too low volume sell through.

24 minutes ago, Waulnut said:

Is it hard to replace the 100V rated mosfets with better ones?

I would think that this is tricky and best handled at depot repair. Not something I'd ask distributors to do.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I seen a statement from Inmotion that are they are investing and will be back with a solution. I have not yet seen a solution but maybe I missed something? 

Until we see their solution I don't think it more than speculation. 

Again expireance from my work, it takes some time to get everything sorted out and ready until you can make a final solution statement. 

As far as I know this is what we all are waiting for atm. Now I don't have a V12 so I didn't follow it closely as I have been busy with other irl stuff. But I do think it holds some interest what the solution will be from Inmotion. It is part of riders to fully trust their wheel. And bigger overall problems seems to be a focal point for discussion of all brands. So hopefully we don't see more of similar problems in future models when they are launched. 

You're right. We are still awaiting a formal response from Inmotion on the cause. I was referencing a previous post claimed to be from eWheels (also posted on the V12 Facebook group), but since this is posted from an unverified source, I should not assume it is 100% accurate.

Will keep my hopes up that Inmotion releases a response that will inspire confidence.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I would think that this is tricky and best handled at depot repair. Not something I'd ask distributors to do.

Most electronic technicians who can handle SMT board level repair, would have basically ZERO problem replacing something as large as these MOSFETS. However most of them won't be familiar with VFD or PWM motor controllers as likely their experience is more mainstream consumer electronics. They might not have the experience required for ideal component selection, much less be able to verify tolerances or how will said components match each other. 

I honestly couldn't tell you much more specifics my engineering classes were more oriented towards PLCs and other industrial equipment.

Edited by nosamplesplease
Damn autocorrect. Sigh....
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, evans036 said:

well... i tried the test with lifting my wheel and rocking it forwards & backwards. it seemed to pass that test ok.

i have about 500 miles on my wheel and have not experience any issues thus far.

still, i dont feel i can trust it. are there any other tests we can come up with that might trigger mosfet burnout?

Thanks for giving this test a shot, I have a few questions regarding how it went:

• Where and how did you grab the wheel to get enough leverage and stability: extremities of the handle or front and rear bumpers?
  • Did you feel like the wheel could keep up, resisting mostly leveled with your yanking then "slipping", when accelerating or changing direction? (In the air)
  • What kind of noise did the motor make when changing direction abruptly? On the Sherman for instance, it's not a very nice sound and you can tell the whole thing is under stress.
  • did you swap direction from max rotation speed, lower speed or any kind of speeds multiple times?
Edited by supercurio
  • Like 3

It reads like you executed the test in good form @evans036!

The key part is indeed when getting  the "slip" sensation which indicates either that the wheel ran out of speed (not what we want) or torque (the stress test intended).

And right before or while running out of torque, the controller will try to drive the motor as hard as it can to prevent losing level or regain it, possibly frying the MOSFETs in the process.

Now I would (sadly) like to see a wheel failing this test to confirm its validity.

At 10% failure rate, that should happen for some.

Edited by supercurio