Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

8 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Did a bunch of jumps in the skatepark and I think the 750lb spring is suitable for my weight

Have you measured sag already?

14 minutes ago, Miko.cz said:

front lights vaporize everything (max tilt to ground), it cannot be used in winter morning/evening on cyclopaths.
I was unable to find any settings that can reduce light intensity (but FW do it, because when speed is changing 3->0->3km/h, light is changing intensity automaticaly)

Thanks for the report @Miko.cz!

Yes when facing the S22, even at rider height (so above pedestrian height) the headlight is awfully blinding.

• Positive: everybody will see you which is good for your safety
  • Negative: they won't see anything else, which is bad for safety in general

Adam/Wrong Way didn't exaggerate. Be prepared to find another headlight.
It should be fine as flood-light for off-road tho - but that's it.

Edited by supercurio
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, supercurio said:

I've been riding with @Rawnei and his S22 a couple times now, and he encouraged me to try it as well, appreciated 

Did you have a chance to ride at higher speeds? Even if not, how was your feeling regarding stability, when compared to the Sherman Max?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Did you have a chance to ride at higher speeds? Even if not, how was your feeling regarding stability, when compared to the Sherman Max?

No high speed for me (only when I get my own wheel with well adjusted setup 😄) , but @Rawnei tried yesterday evening. Fundamentally tho the tire will define 95% of the feeling of stability at speed.
I can already tell that S22 with 75% battery is a significantly faster than Sherman Max at 35% battery (and Max is slower than OG).

Oh and on the first day we tried the S22 titlback at low speed, it deployed super slow, and also took forever to disengage even once stopped. Unless it's different at higher speed I'd say it's ineffective, broken and buggy. Make sure you hear the beeps on the S22.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Miko.cz said:
  1. EUC is really rolling backward a bit if just rest standing at smooth wall
  2. top seat is... i dont know, just for temporary foot resting. Its more bumper. But I need more experience.
  3. squeeky handle (will be solved easily)
  4. connector of charger cable is a bit lax (connector in socket is moving), not a catastrophe, but I just dont like too much freedom of connectors (same with connector to EUC, cannot be locked when charging)

1. Setting 1 degree forward angle solves that :)

2. Agree, I'm working on improvements though it could turn out much better in the end.

3. Mine is nto squeaky!

4. Ah right, the charging, it's a fiddle to get started, getting the charge cover off takes a lot of fiddling as it sits very tight.

5 minutes ago, supercurio said:

tho the tire will define 95% of the feeling of stability at speed.

Even so, given that both were on stock tires, how would you compare the two for stability, and planted-ness feeling? 

3 minutes ago, supercurio said:

techyiam I'm supposed to get mine on August 3 and should be able to answer that after learning the wheel, riding it some.. then contradicting half of what I said at the end of the honeymoon period 😅

Fair enough. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

I'm lighter (72kg naked) and for me, the stock suspension with @Rawnei settings doesn't seem to do much if anything when riding on street. It only takes the edge off or unexpected roots or potholes stuff like that, but you're still connected to the road like on a non-suspension wheel.

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

However I'm concerned that there might be too much friction or dampening, including on compression for the suspension to be as quick as I'd like.

I'm the same weight and got a 300 lbs coil for it (haven't tried yet). That spring is way too heavy for you. It's all about having a correct sag. So far I have collected two data points. One 85 kg rider with 4mm sag and another 100 kg rider with 10-12 mm sag on the original 750 lbs coil. There might be too much stiction also but the bigger issue is too stiff spring for most riders. Of course it's possible that the correct sag cannot be measured reliably if stiction affects it. 

• Like 2

I think it would have made more sense to ship it with a 500-650 spring for majority of riders even if I'm personally happy with the 750.

• Like 2

@supercurio

If you don't mind my asking, according to your profile, your V12 is on the chopping block. I am somewhat curious, especially when other riders from European countries have been insisting that the uses cases in Europe don't need high speed wheels. And here you are with the Sherman Max (high speed stability king), and disposing the V12, a very capable agile wheel. I am simply perplexed. 🙂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

I think it would have made more sense to ship it with a 500-650 spring for majority of riders even if I'm personally happy with the 750.

What is ironic is that Jack ex-Kingsong complained in his review video that he could not persuade Kingsong to put in a 1000 lbs spring for production.

27 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Yeah, KS knew better and wanted to go lower but they compromised and now it’s not really good for anyone. Maybe heavier jumpers are fine with it. Everyone else either have bad experience or must buy a new spring that are not easy to figure out. 

My other thought was maybe because of the high stiction (quasi damping, since it is not speed sensitive), they had to use a high spring rate to mask the flaw.

3 hours ago, UniVehje said:

I'm the same weight and got a 300 lbs coil for it (haven't tried yet). That spring is way too heavy for you. It's all about having a correct sag. So far I have collected two data points. One 85 kg rider with 4mm sag and another 100 kg rider with 10-12 mm sag on the original 750 lbs coil. There might be too much stiction also but the bigger issue is too stiff spring for most riders. Of course it's possible that the correct sag cannot be measured reliably if stiction affects it. 

It felt pretty good for high jumps, and skate park stuff as it is!
But good point, the sag might not be enough to really provide the traction desired off-road, as without sufficient sag the suspension can't push the tire down into holes.

I guess a lighter spring will improve things in terms of sag - and everything else for street and off-road. Then when playing in skate parks, increasing the compression dampening should be sufficient to avoid bottoming out.

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

@supercurio

If you don't mind my asking, according to your profile, your V12 is on the chopping block. I am somewhat curious, especially when other riders from European countries have been insisting that the uses cases in Europe don't need high speed wheels. And here you are with the Sherman Max (high speed stability king), and disposing the V12, a very capable agile wheel. I am simply perplexed. 🙂

Yes I'll sell the V12 after completing a pull force test! I should have the whole setup now, so I just need some time to complete it.
Really curious how it'll turn out!

I just upgraded from the OG Sherman to the Max to address the issue of burning the mainboards on heavy stress or climbs (it took me 11 days to burn the first one, oops). The Max offers more torque but loses top speed as you'd expect from a higher torque motor. Surprised nobody seemed to notice before.
I initially got the V12 as winter wheel but then, you know 😄. Overall I find the tire options available on a 14" rim a massive deciding factor compared to a 12" one.

The pull force test will hopefully also tell us if the Sherman Max or S22 has more torque, or about the same.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Yes I'll sell the V12 after completing a pull force test!

Very nice of you to share your V12 pull test results, along with the Sherman Max's and S22's as well.

I just upgraded from the OG Sherman to the Max to address the issue of burning the mainboards on heavy stress or climbs (it took me 11 days to burn the first one, oops). The Max offers more torque but loses top speed as you'd expect from a higher torque motor.

You basically need a wheel with more torque, but you went with the Sherman Max instead of a torque wheel. Also, you pointed out the lost of top speed. I am getting mixed messages from European riders. Do riders in Europe have opportunities to travel at high speeds? Interestingly enough, you bought the S22 instead of the Master, but you seemed to have a need for torque. I hope the S22 have the torque you seek.

Overall I find the tire options available on a 14" rim a massive deciding factor compared to a 12" one.

Nope, you ain't wrong. But you just need one good tire.

The pull force test will hopefully also tell us if the Sherman Max or S22 has more torque, or about the same.

It is great that you are helping to produce actual quantitative results for the wheels.

• Like 1

Mine was delayed after being on the wrong boat. Due at the store last week but i’ve heard nothing yet.

Re looking at this photo of the s22’s i can figure out which one is mine

THE VERY LAST ONE. 

I think it’s just scared to get to know me and stayed on the boat. My wife was the same

931DDEDF-3800-44E5-BEFE-558772A3E03B.thumb.jpeg.c0df9d4a7a124155e69d595325ea57db.jpeg

• Like 3