YZpower-450 (same as stock charger) killed my Sherman

null

Short story short: just charging with my barely used yzpower-450 (the same as stock charger) and bam, pop sound and burnt smell.

Not only did that POS charger break, it killed the Sherman logic board which now won’t charge and only displays “e char” error message. AFAIK nothing can be done other than replacing the board. So I’m looking at 300€+ in parts, +2 months shipping +taking everything apart to swap the board, great

This isn’t the first case (and probably not the last); not only is the (stock) charger shit, the logic board dies from it.. I wouldn’t use the stock charger (or other yzpower-450) until we get to know if some are worse than others.

Are there any 100.8V chargers of decent quality?

ED6B69A4-752A-49F2-ADD9-C329C0531B29.jpeg

12FF20A8-41FA-4EE4-9949-3EE9D27FF6A6.jpeg

EE725DD1-98C6-46C3-9446-8390542D23F6.jpeg

7178A05C-40B3-4D22-ABB3-C6FA22668754.jpeg

Edited by null
  • Like 3

I feel your frustration. I can’t go a day without riding my Sherman. Any downtime definitely sucks!

I routinely charge at 10amps without issues but I charge with the official Leaperkim chargers. I simply don’t trust non-branded non-official chargers since you cannot verify the internals are the same and if the Leaperkim chargers have different electrical and electronic components purpose built for their wheels.

I don’t understand what you mean when you say “stock” chargers. Did this charger ship with your wheel?

Here are my dual chargers, these I consider stock since they are Leaperkim branded and their models are Veteran-450 specifically. I do believe their manual states you should only charge using their official chargers. What is odd is the polarity is switched (red circles) on the illustrationson the chargers.

E5636F7C-B28F-4987-82EE-2BFBFB02567F.jpeg

• Like 2

Thank you for your sympathy. It is indeed highly annoying to have it stuck.

The chargers are the same because the veteran is just a rebadge of a YZ charger. They even cost the same, the only reason I got the one with the YZ sticker is because it was in stock in Europe. The same happened to @fbhb and if I recall right his was veteran badged.

AD9845EA-D38B-4829-ACD6-D72E282F12D6.jpeg

08AC79C5-1191-43C6-88FD-AC9A29A30366.jpeg

• Like 2

Looking closer the dead charger has two caps who are smaller.
If it is the same as here, (but the image links are broken) it might be a series which is worse than the other.

@houseofjob Thanks for the references, I'll look closer at them.
I do long distance so need to be able to charge 10A* , but also have to keep bulk and weight reasonable.
The chargery is heavy, but less than I thought.

*(no double port but could consider if it turns out if there is no major overheating)

IMG_5036.JPG

Edited by null
  • Like 3

• null changed the title to YZpower-450 (same as stock charger) killed my Sherman
3 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Haven't found a 15A 24S charger that is lighter or smaller, but if you do, let me know!

There probably aren’t, but if I’m stuck at 10A it’s a bit on the heavy side. Could be worth it to avoid killing the controller board again though..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, null said:

There probably aren’t, but if I’m stuck at 10A it’s a bit on the heavy side. Could be worth it to avoid killing the controller board again though..

Yes, but all the other options are typically Chinese-made and of similar, cheap build quality to the Vet stock charger unfortunately. :( Plus, I don't believe I've seen even those 10A 24S chargers go lower than 2kg(?) (could be wrong)

I guess the ability to do 100V with quality means weight(?) (remembering that early Gotway 3A 100V chargers were riddled with issues probably because the components weren't robust enough for 24S).

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

@null I'm so sorry this has happened to you too, as it is exactly what happened to me in pretty much every detail and I also see that you had linked to my first reference about this problem in your 3rd post (only difference is my charger is actually Leaperkim branded - NOT that it means anything whatsoever as they are all made by the same "cheap quality" factory!)   

I have just fixed the broken links to the original post I made back on November 21st last year and since then I have been waiting patiently for the "Slow Boat from China" to get my replacement control board and charger shipped here to New Zealand. 

Finally, after 2 months of waiting the 2 warranty items have arrived courtesy of communication with my seller and their lengthy communication with Veteran themselves, to confirm what needed to be replaced! 

Rather than hi-jacking your thread my intention has been to create a New topic of my own once I had done the control board swap and several "Test Charges" to make sure All is well with the New gear!  (But that's gonna be another one of my very lengthy stories, when I get around to it!) 

I am more than happy to answer any of your queries or questions here though and help you out in any way possible in the meantime!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, fbhb said:

Rather than hi-jacking your thread my intention has been to create a New topic of my own once I had done the control board swap and several "Test Charges" to make sure All is well with the New gear!

Yes thats good, I knew you where planning on making one and didn't want to high jack it either. Anyway this needs to be heard, the Sherman is a much too expensive item to be gambling with faulty chargers (on top of danger). Likewise, if you can use some better info / pics from mine go ahead.

I got mine from the group buy and dont want to bother the organiser with the warranty (it would have to go through him) so out of luck here.

edit: Thanks for the image links, It seems YZpower just use random caps close at hand, all our four chargers are different.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, houseofjob said:

I guess the ability to do 100V with quality means weight(?) (remembering that early Gotway 3A 100V chargers were riddled with issues probably because the components weren't robust enough for 24S)

You are right, besides the weight per Amp isn't bad. I guess splitting the shell (argh) could be an occasion to install doubled GX16s. As long as stable that would be great, I love fast normal charging.

It would be nice of the manufacturers could switch to some seriously beefier charging plugs and circuits.

Edited by null

1 hour ago, null said:

I guess splitting the shell (argh) could be an occasion to install doubled GX16s.

If you are referring to: "splitting the shell" only in order to install the New control board when it finally arrives, I was fortunately able to do it without the need for a Full strip down!  

I have taken photos during my control board install explaining a small mod necessary to allow easy removal of the control board. 

It will be definitely be part of my Topic on this dodgy charger issue and as you commented yourself, I also want to bring attention to these failures to help/warn other Sherman owners too!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, null said:

You are right, besides the weight per Amp isn't bad. I guess splitting the shell (argh) could be an occasion to install doubled GX16s. As long as stable that would be great, I love fast normal charging.

It would be nice of the manufacturers could switch to some seriously beefier charging plugs and circuits.

Ah no, I meant the double-pinning each GX16 port if you wanted to do more than 5A per charge port (thus max 15A from the Chargery charger), since GX16 single pin runs the port hot above 5A.

If you just want 10A, you can leave the ports alone, and just DIY a Y splitter so the 10A selected from the Chargery charger is evenly distributed, 5A per charge port.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fbhb said:

If you are referring to: "splitting the shell" only in order to install the New control board when it finally arrives, I was fortunately able to do it without the need for a Full strip down!  

Thats great news! Glad to hear. There are times and things one like to tinker, others not.
I just did a last research on "e char" before ordering a new board and found someone else had managed to get in put as well, with some instructions from Jason.

4 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Ah no, I meant the double-pinning each GX16 port if you wanted to do more than 5A per charge port (thus max 15A from the Chargery charger), since GX16 single pin runs the port hot above 5A.

If you just want 10A, you can leave the ports alone, and just DIY a Y splitter so the 10A selected from the Chargery charger is evenly distributed, 5A per charge port.

Yes I got you, I ment the double pinned ports. Over 10A wasn't in my scope at first as the GX16 aren't very accessible, but if I'm in there for the board anyway it might be a good upgrade. If 15A charge turns out viable (and why not, it seems 10A is barely lukewarm from the outside) it would be great. Chargery in the shopping basket, cozying there a bit due to the price. At least it would replace all my other fast chargers, which is a good justification to get it. As well as lesser change of frying my EUCs.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

Speaking of Veteran stock chargers (Leaperkim), mine makes this periodic clicking noise along with LED flicker. Is that something to be concerned about, it looks like this may be typical of Veteran stock chargers.

4 hours ago, null said:

Chargery in the shopping basket, cozying there a bit due to the price. 

LOL same, I've had it in my basket for over a year :lol:

3 hours ago, Adel said:

Speaking of Veteran stock chargers (Leaperkim), mine makes this periodic clicking noise along with LED flicker. Is that something to be concerned about, it looks like this may be typical of Veteran stock chargers.

Might be a wire catching slightly at the fans, I would open and see, it's a super easy fix. 

The flicker I dunno. I know some of these cheapo Chinese stock chargers have very uneven power delivery when measuring with a volt meter.

1 hour ago, Seba said:

Actually, Ninebot chargers are also manufactured by 3rd company. In case of Z10 charger it's "Manufactured for Segway [by] ChingMi (Beijing) Technology Co., Ltd.". Also "stock" charger for Ninebot One S2 is also "Manufactured for Ninebot [by] Shenzen Xiguanyuda Power Of Science And Technology Co., Ltd". Actually it seems that there are just few companies that manufacture chargers for all EUC manufacturers. For example Jin Xin Yu Power (Shenzen) Supply Co., Ltd. is supplying chargers for Gotway and King Song.

More, if you take a look at the photo below, you'll see lot of common between Ninebot and Gotway charger. In both cases model name starts with XVE, enclosure is identical, also code located on the bottom starts with XV- followed by 10 digits. We all know that Chinese companies tends to change registered names very often, so it may be the same company under different names.

Nice thanks! I figured as much, but no longer have Ninebots and their chargers to check.

Did you possibly find out what the name of the plug for the Z10 was by chance? Still one of the remaining mysteries of EUC :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Did you possibly find out what the name of the plug for the Z10 was by chance? Still one of the remaining mysteries of EUC :lol:

Still unknown, but apparently specifically the Ninebot Mini Plus (not to be confused with any of its other incarnations of miniLites/miniPros/etc, most of which use a simple barrel plug) uses the same connector, which can be seen (among other places) in the EcoDrift teardown: https://ecodrift.ru/2017/08/04/razbiraem-minisegvej-xiaomi-ninebot-mini-plus/

This isn't an answer, but it's another potential lead on figuring it out, as likely they sold an order of magnitude more Mini Plus's compared to Zxx EUCs, so there's probably more discussion/sleuthing to be found/done through that avenue.

Edit: also in the absence of being able to identify the specific connector and if someone wanted one for their own project, it would probably be easier/cheaper to find/get a Mini Plus charger to canibalize over a Zxx EUC charger.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AtlasP said:

Still unknown, but apparently specifically the Ninebot Mini Plus (not to be confused with any of its other incarnations, most of which use a simple barrel plug) uses the same connector, which can be seen (among other places) in the EcoDrift teardown: https://ecodrift.ru/2017/08/04/razbiraem-minisegvej-xiaomi-ninebot-mini-plus/

This isn't an answer, but it's another potential lead on figuring it out, as likely they sold an order of magnitude more Mini Plus's compared to Zxx EUCs, so there's probably more discussion/sleuthing to be found/done through that avenue.

This is crazy we're like years later after the Z10 release and still no one knows the name to this damn connector *smh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

This is crazy we're like years later after the Z10 release and still no one knows the name to this damn connector *smh

I suspect it was unique (proprietary) to Ninebot rather than a commercially available plug, hence no name for it.

As for YZ Power chargers, I haven't had issues with either the Z10 or 84v and 100v GW fast chargers I have, nor have anyone else I know that has bought them for GW's etc. Could the Veteran problems be associated with the charging circuit within the wheel rather than the charger? Could the 'diode' or other part of the system cause problems?

6 hours ago, Adel said:

Speaking of Veteran stock chargers (Leaperkim), mine makes this periodic clicking noise

Both mine did a cyclic sound variation as well, during the entire charge. My bet would be on uneven power delivery..

7 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Ebay one can buy loose Power plugs with the wires on the Z10 to use on chargers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replace-Power-Charger-Line-Cable-For-Xiaomi-Ninebot-Mini-Plus-Z8-Z10-Scooter-BM/203156381908?hash=item2f4d1060d4:g:JPUAAOSw8MRfmOlT

Edited by xSAMCOx
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 9:50 PM, null said:

Short story short: just charging with my barely used yzpower-450 (the same as stock charger) and bam, pop sound and burnt smell.

Not only did that POS charger break, it killed the Sherman logic board which now won’t charge and only displays “e char” error message. AFAIK nothing can be done other than replacing the board. So I’m looking at 300€+ in parts, +2 months shipping +taking everything apart to swap the board, great

This isn’t the first case (and probably not the last); not only is the (stock) charger shit, the logic board dies from it.. I wouldn’t use the stock charger (or other yzpower-450) until we get to know if some are worse than others.

Are there any 100.8V chargers of decent quality?

ED6B69A4-752A-49F2-ADD9-C329C0531B29.jpeg

12FF20A8-41FA-4EE4-9949-3EE9D27FF6A6.jpeg

EE725DD1-98C6-46C3-9446-8390542D23F6.jpeg

7178A05C-40B3-4D22-ABB3-C6FA22668754.jpeg

I have this same model of charger in 84v for my MSX since a few years. I used to be happy, it was my road trip charger, it was not unusal that the battery had 3 huge charges a day during hot summer with this charger.
But I noticed that my MSX has a much lower autonomy after these few years, what did not happen with my other wheels. I noticed too that this charger was charging actually quite fast, even in end of charge, and to the top 84V if i left it enough time... Maybe it could be related, maybe not.

• Like 1