Gotway/Begode’s legal injunction against Veteran ?

eucVibes

Oh wow, that WOULD be interesting to know. Makes me want to make sure I dont fall it over until I hear for sure.. I like my Sherm, but I like profits more! Anyone else hear something like this?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

That is a really nice euphemism for not being able to get spare parts and service.

I know what I'm talking about, I own a motorcycle from a brand that went out of business two weeks after I bought it ...

Trust me I know how this goes, I own 2 ninebot z10's ...And I had to fully repair the tire , mosfet and control boards on both smh.. .but I am on a waiting list for Sherman and this rumor actually makes me want it more lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

Interesting if true but personally i don't believe that a rare euc is anything to strive for unless you are building an euc museum.

A rare euc as pointed out above would only be a headache to get parts for, beyond that with the rapidness in releases we are witnessing in this field that wheel is going to be ancient in 8 months.

This is very true... UNLESS, legislation all a sudden comes crashing down, and wheels are no longer sold with such large specs. Not that I think this is going to happen with the sherm, but imagine the value, if a worlwide ban came and stopped ANY euc's from being sold that go faster than 30kmh. Personally, I'd be more worried about replacement parts than anything, as I am not running a museum.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

This is very true... UNLESS, legislation all a sudden comes crashing down, and wheels are no longer sold with such large specs. Not that I think this is going to happen with the sherm

That could only ever change if the Chinese government instituted some kind of ban or regulation. I live in a country where owning a wheel capable of going past 20km/h is illegal but i was still able to order any wheel i wanted regardless of that fact.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Asphalt said:

He says that Gotway got the EUC patent from Shane Chen and is threatening to use them against Veteran

Speaking of which, wouldn't Segway have had patents regarding self balancing tech before Shane Chen used it for EUCs? It always felt to me they where the first to use it for a marketed vehicle and EUC is a minimalistic branch or Segways tech. Was it a too broad concept to be enforced? 

I always felt Shane Chen couldn't patent things that where used before him, the overall concept of EUC is as old as the 70s and as mentioned, Segway. I totally appreciate him for striking the nail on the head, but as for patentable technology I dont see.

notalawyer

Edited by null
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 6:29 PM, null said:

Speaking of which, wouldn't Segway have had patents regarding self balancing tech before Shane Chen used it for EUCs? It always felt to me they where the first to use it for a marketed vehicle and EUC is a minimalistic branch or Segways tech. Was it a too broad concept to be enforced? 

I always felt Shane Chen couldn't patent things that where used before him, the overall concept of EUC is as old as the 70s and as mentioned, Segway. I totally appreciate him for striking the nail on the head, but as for patentable technology I dont see.

Considering Veteran is composed of disgruntled former Gotway employees, I imagine Gotway's claim is more specific to details of their implementation (circuitry/software/etc) which Veteran may have 'borrowed'/used too directly/literally on the Sherman--not merely the concept of EUCs or self-balancing tech.

Edit: this comment was made before the licensing of Inventist patents was known.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, null said:

Shane Chen tried taking Segway/Ninebot to court, but the Chinese judge would only rule in Shane's favour if he gave permission for the Chinese factories to continue manufacturing the products they stole from him. :facepalm:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshepard/2018/01/31/meet-the-inventor-of-the-hoverboard-who-lost-millions-to-chinese-counterfeiters/?sh=317bf1313c47

4 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Shane Chen tried taking Segway/Ninebot to court, but the Chinese judge would only rule in Shane's favour if he gave permission for the Chinese factories to continue manufacturing the products they stole from him. :facepalm:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshepard/2018/01/31/meet-the-inventor-of-the-hoverboard-who-lost-millions-to-chinese-counterfeiters/?sh=317bf1313c47

The whole purpose of the patent system is to encourage the sharing of ideas, not to block other people from using your ideas. I for one am glad that the Chinese judge ruled in favor of allowing the Chinese factories to continue manufacturing the products, as long as there is a royalty / license in place. Unfortunately so many patent trolls demand the most absurd license fees to use the patent system to try block any competition from entering the market. They really should put a cap on the license fees. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BFE Duke said:

The whole purpose of the patent system is to encourage the sharing of ideas, not to block other people from using your ideas. I for one am glad that the Chinese judge ruled in favor of allowing the Chinese factories to continue manufacturing the products, as long as there is a royalty / license in place. Unfortunately so many patent trolls demand the most absurd license fees to use the patent system to try block any competition from entering the market. They really should put a cap on the license fees. 

I agree. I wish companies outside of China would have been allowed to innovate on EUCs as well, because Shane wasn't interested in pushing the technology any further. Instead he gave us Hovertrax, Iotatrax, OrbitWheel, and Hoverwheel :facepalm:

I do have some sympathy for Shane though - he could have made a small fortune on Hoverboards if the Chinese manufacturers didn't blatantly rip off his ideas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asphalt said:

I agree. I wish companies outside of China would have been allowed to innovate on EUCs as well, because Shane wasn't interested in pushing the technology any further. Instead he gave us Hovertrax, Iotatrax, OrbitWheel, and Hoverwheel :facepalm:

I do have some sympathy for Shane though - he could have made a small fortune on Hoverboards if the Chinese manufacturers didn't blatantly rip off his ideas.

Patents are pretty specific, and there are many ways to develop an EUC without infringing on his. EUC manufacturers are so set on designing it virtually the same way with improvements on specs only. It's not like he's the first to patent an EUC concept. The Simeray patent dates back to 2005. Their patent requires pedal sensors like the Onewheel however, and it was easy to get around that one. The vast majority of engineering failures are not failures of calculation, but rather failures of imagination. 

• Like 2

On 11/19/2020 at 4:02 AM, Asphalt said:

I didn’t mean Ninebot/Segway though, but Segway who released the first self balanced PEV early 2000, long before they got purchased by Ninebot.

That was before Chen and his balancing devices. (Who to me are in big part declination of the original Segway concept)

edit: a good thread on the origins of EUCs.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 2:53 PM, null said:

I didn’t mean Ninebot/Segway though, but Segway who released the first self balanced PEV early 2000, long before they got purchased by Ninebot.

That was before Chen and his balancing devices. (Who to me are in big part declination of the original Segway concept)

edit: a good thread on the origins of EUCs.

The Segway has a mechanism to steer vs EUC has none and relies on the rider to physically lean. Onewheel has a pressure sensor to sense rider is onboard. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, EUC Addict said:

Chinese Solowheel patent may spell trouble for Veteran

Competition heats up in China as electric unicycle (EUC) companies duel for a piece of the pie.

In an aggressive move, Begode (Gotway) bought inventor Shane Chen's Chinese Solowheel patent earlier this year in April. Chen could not disclose how much Gotway paid for the patent, but said Gotway was the one that approached him.

Chen is also the founder of Inventist Inc. based in Camas, Washington. He still holds the U.S. Solowheel patent, which he licenses to EUC resellers like eWheels. 

Gotway would not comment on its plans for the patent or if it intended to use it against Leaperkim (Veteran), but a representative from Gotway indicated the company's plans for the patent would be revealed in the future.

So what does this sale mean for Veteran? (Read more)

Hmmm, on this forum ewheels seems to have a back log of Sherman orders. When I messaged a few of the AliExpress retailers from China, every single one was wheeling and dealing. $3500 cdn is free seat, fender, and second charger. $3250 cdn is the lowest price I got shipped to North America. Most of the reputable sellers won’t budge below $3500 but seemed to offer me “free stuff” like fast charges and second tires.