Gotway/Begode’s legal injunction against Veteran ?

eucVibes

2 minutes ago, EUC Addict said:

That’s true. Sherman still hasn’t delivered all the orders to the US. 

Nope, still waiting on mine. I think it’s due next week. 

Just now, EUC Addict said:

I thought I recognized your pic. I didn't know you had ordered the Sherman. I'm still looking at about a month and half for my Monster Pro.

Yeah, wasn’t planning on the Sherman but my MSP caught fire and burned the garage. I think that I’ll stick with 18650 cell packs and proven technology for a while.  I chose the Sherman but originally had my eyes set on the Monster Pro. I hope that I’m not disappointed.

2 minutes ago, EUC Addict said:

I don't think you will be. Lots of the guys here have one, but most of the guys ride with in the OC area are getting Pro's.

Fortunately I’m not keeping up with the Jones where I live currently. I did want a wheel that could ride at 35 mph for 70+ miles so I’m sure the Veteran will do that well. Looking forward to joining you all soon for some warm LA group rides! 

16 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

the only thing that is a blatant rip-off of Gotways design is the pedal hanger assembly, pedals are compatible with each other.

It would appear they didn't patent it. As the patent they sued over doesn't include pedal hanger design as I recall.

This isn't Gotway suing Veteran for stealing their design. It's Gotway buying the original Inventist patent and suing Veteran for infringing on Inventist's design.

I'm guessing they couldn't sue Veteran for stealing their design because Gotway doesn't hold any patents to sue over.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jonesq said:

This isn't Gotway suing Veteran for stealing their design. It's Gotway buying the original Inventist patent and suing Veteran for infringing on Inventist's design.

I'm guessing they couldn't sue Veteran for stealing their design because Gotway doesn't hold any patents to sue over.

Nailed it.

25 minutes ago, Jonesq said:

Hehe, the same patents Gotway have been infringing till now then.
(IMO too much prior art and generic ideas to patent EUC overall concept anyway)

Edited by null
  • Like 2

It seem Veteran isn't just a regular competitor to Gotway, perhaps they represent the silver bullet that slays the performance king. It's one thing to pursue former employees who go rogue, but to spend the time and money on patent legal fights shows just how much of a threat Veteran is. I guess Gotway's route to go to the courtroom instead of the engineering lab to beat Veteran shows in their resent product quality and design choices. I wonder how Jason at eWheels fits into this puzzle?

• Like 2

Jason at ewheels reads like when DJI first started growing with their Phantom 1. Their American distributor (reality TV celebrity Colin Guinn) overstepped his role and often acted like he was the CEO of the company. DJI later parted ways with Guinn after an unusual visit to SpaceX where he was found to have hidden SD cards of launch footage and one of his accomplices did not have the proper security clearance and who happened to be a Russian national. Guinn put up a legal fight and was initially successful at stopping DJI products from selling in America but its rumoured they settled financially and parted ways. 

If EUC were to make it mainstream , I predict similar power struggles will brew in America and the Chinese manufactures. 

Another parallel with drones industry is open source hardware. Ardupilot was huge and more established than DJI. GoPro backed ardupilot and eventually lost the drone war but DJI likely benefited huge from ardupilot at its beginnings. With self balancing pev, there has gotta be someone working on an opensource controller project to disrupt transportation globally! This would be pretty awesome! 

42 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

It seem Veteran isn't just a regular competitor to Gotway, perhaps they represent the silver bullet that slays the performance king. It's one thing to pursue former employees who go rogue, but to spend the time and money on patent legal fights shows just how much of a threat Veteran is. I guess Gotway's route to go to the courtroom instead of the engineering lab to beat Veteran shows in their resent product quality and design choices. I wonder how Jason at eWheels fits into this puzzle?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

I wonder if a Veteran win would that mean there are no longer any patent issues whatsoever around electric unicycles.

It's Veteran's opinion that if they win the paten will be essentially useless in China.

9 minutes ago, EUC Addict said:

It's Veteran's opinion that if they win the paten will be essentially useless in China.

As the EUC patents should be everywhere. Good for China for not having a shit awful patent system.

Shane Chen is basically a worthless patent troll that is holding back innovation in EUCs and lining his own pockets. Every single rider in this forum is paying a Shane Chen tax. 

I can understand the initial patents on a self balancing wheel like the OG Segway, but I think it’s nonsense to patent every minor iteration of that. On top of that patents should expire in 5 years, not 20. Or maybe even get rid of them altogether. The inventor can still have a first to the market advantage by virtue of having created the invention. 

I also lost a lot of respect for Gotway for going the litigation route. How much money did they both waste to fight this battle? This is on the level of Kingsong locking wheels IMHO. 

Edited by shellac

1 hour ago, null said:

Hehe, the same patents Gotway have been infringing till now then.
(IMO too much prior art and generic ideas to patent EUC overall concept anyway)

I think Gotway, KS, and Inmotion are all licensed to use the Inventist patent according to the article.

• Like 2

I wish we had an EUC riding lawyer in these forums, maybe someone who could look into the Shane Chen patents and see how valid they actually are. I imagine we can find prior art.

We could then have a community funded effort ala gofundme to see if we can get a judgement overturning his patent in court. It would be beneficial for the community. 

• Like 1

Just so we're all clear. Shane Chen's patent does not prevent anyone from manufacturing an EUC in the states or reselling as long as long as the patent is licensed. Patent's are licensed all the time. It's not a big deal. Only one company has approached Shane about licensing for EUC manufacturing in the US and that was Razor. And they didn't want to do it because it wasn't toy enough for them, according to him. 

• Like 1

Still here is posiblility begode/gotway can buy/outsource custom control boards created in kingsong factory.:smartass:

I dont care who make my control board if working good.:thumbup:

6 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Observing both veteran and Gotway, the only thing that is a blatant rip-off of Gotways design is the pedal hanger assembly, pedals are compatible with each other. 

That may be true hardware-wise, but we know nothing about their software implementation. (Not that the software appears to be a component in the current legal dispute.) There are some obvious differences in 'feel' between their wheels that might lead one to believe the software must be different, but they could still be using some or a lot of similar code and just have some differences either intentionally or accidentally.