New long cruiser

11 hours ago, fbhb said:

Wrong Way! posted this video review on YouTube, in which he demonstrates in his own style of riding how much available torque the MSP really can provide!

isnt this higher output more to do with the firmware than the motor itself? seems to me that they changed the amount of power the motor should deliver with the nikola, thats why it was so much snappier.

Theres still more power there still, if the controller was tuned to deliver more, it could even have you fall flat on your back, with the older models, no doubt.

Edited by EUC GUY
added a new line
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, EUC GUY said:

isnt this higher output more to do with the firmware than the motor itself? seems to me that they changed the amount of power the motor should deliver with the nikola, thats why it was so much snappier.

Theres still more power there still, if the controller was tuned to deliver more, it could even have you fall flat on your back, with the older models, no doubt.

We know that the MCM5 has amazing torque and it has a much wider motor (motor magnets) that other wheels. Now the MSP was created and it also has a much wider motor (motor magnets) and it has a lot more torque.

So I'm thinking the motor design plays a big part in the ability to deliver torque.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

We know that the MCM5 has amazing torque and it has a much wider motor (motor magnets) that other wheels. Now the MSP was created and it also has a much wider motor (motor magnets) and it has a lot more torque.

So I'm thinking the motor design plays a big part in the ability to deliver torque.

i can see that angle, but also, if the older wheels had more power to deliver simply by having more grip and leaning harder, then that could be set as default for the normal riding conditions instead. 

would'nt you agree ? :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EUC GUY said:

i can see that angle, but also, if the older wheels had more power to deliver simply by having more grip and leaning harder, then that could be set as default for the normal riding conditions instead. 

would'nt you agree ? :)

I think I can agree that both the power electronics and the motor design determine the power delivery. Wouldn't it be great if we could have a conversation with the actual designers at Gotway :popcorn:

• Like 2

I was just wondering. When my new Nikola+ arrives should I open it and do full inspection like @Marty Backe did? And what to check before first ride? I was thinking about these steps.

• Tire seating and condition
  • Rim inspection and is it true
  • Stickers condition
  • Handle operation, tighten bolts and piece of velcro tape
  • Loose connections inside, insulation and rerouting wires away from phase wires
  • Insulation of motor wires from tire cavity (black plug)
  • Slime the tube (6oz) 

As I watched Marty's setup video I think that my floor pump doesn't fit to valve, because of tight space between rim and body. I do have the same Lezyne hand pump so I have to go with by squeeze feel. Those side pads look so thick that I have to try the wheel first and then decide will I use them. Tell me what I missed in check list and what is a must with this wheel to get so my first ride would go with ease.

Edited by FunkyWheeling
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, FunkyWheeling said:

I was just wondering. When my new Nikola+ arrives should I open it and do full inspection like @Marty Backe did? And what to check before first ride? I was thinking about these steps.

• Tire seating and condition
  • Rim inspection and is it true
  • Stickers condition
  • Handle operation, tighten bolts and piece of velcro tape
  • Loose connections inside, insulation and rerouting wires away from phase wires
  • Insulation of motor wires from tire cavity (black plug)
  • Slime the tube (6oz) 

As I watched Marty's setup video I think that my floor pump doesn't fit to valve, because of tight space between rim and body. I do have the same Lezyne hand pump so I have to go with by squeeze feel. Those side pads look so thick that I have to try the wheel first and then decide will I use them. Tell me what I missed in check list and what is a must with this wheel to get so my first ride would go with ease.

Double-check the fit of the tire. After many months I finally realized that my tire wasn't fitted great, causing my wobbles which only really affected me on downhills. Deflating the tire and using my hands and a mallot, I was able to the the tire fixed.

Check the bolts on the pedals hangers. They can be loose sometimes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FunkyWheeling said:
  • Slime the tube (6oz) 

What slime would You suggest in Finland. There seems to be wide variety in local shops, but pls. give me any hints? (My KS16S and Mten3 seem to loss pressure under time)

-Z-

5 hours ago, Zwheeler said:

What slime would You suggest in Finland. There seems to be wide variety in local shops, but pls. give me any hints? (My KS16S and Mten3 seem to loss pressure under time)

I’d skip the local bicycle types and order Goop from Ebay.co.uk. It has small pieces of rubber in it to seal bigger holes as well. In my understanding it’s the closest Slime equivalent in Europe.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Zwheeler said:

What slime would You suggest in Finland. There seems to be wide variety in local shops, but pls. give me any hints?

Didn't find it from Finland. I had it from Germany when I ordered my helmet. 

https://www.bike24.com/search?searchTerm=slime

I got that big bottle and it was too much for me. I can bring it with me when have time for next group ride and we slime all your tires. :P

Edited by FunkyWheeling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FunkyWheeling said:

I got that big bottle and it was too much for me. I can bring it with me when have time for next group ride and we slime all your tires. :P

Hey, thanks!

I mean, how much cooler can it get: I can test-drive a Nikola+ and fix tires at the same time. :clap3: I'll bring the pump to re-pressurize the tires after sliming them

EDIT: on second thought, maybe not at the same time: FIRST try the Nikola and THEN slime the tires. I don't have the balance to do that simultaniously :whistling:

EDIT #2: I know it's a lame joke, but just could not resist...

-Z-

Edited by Zwheeler
reality
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 1:13 PM, EUC GUY said:

The power that the MSP delivers is more than a mere flip of some firmware switch.

8 hours ago, Lutalo said:

As others have said all of these wheels are great wheels. Choose the one that fits your use case the best. If you are certain that you won’t get the urge to surpass 31mph then I would recommend the KS wheels. They are Easier to adapt to and more versatile in terms of fitting across a broad range of use cases. Plus, you don’t really need 100 Volts of power if you are not going to go beyond 30 mph.

If you think you might want to cruise over 30 mph at some point then the Gotway wheels that have been mentioned are your best option: Nik+, MSP, or you could go with a used MSX (Or “newsed” if a dealer still has them in stock).

That was my thinking when I got a 18XL . Let me tell ya, the more Km's I'm riding the more that speed thing is starting to creep up and up......lol. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, null said:

The recent 18XL uses the same tire as the MSX it seems.
The triangle pattern on the edge is the same at least.

Looks like it says 2.5 but it seems thicker than the older.

KS switched to the CST C-1488 (Nikola, MSP, MS3) around late last summer. The MSX has always had the ChaoYang H-5102 though, which the early 18XL was equipped as well.

The C-1488 is actually slightly narrower and not as tall as the H-5102. The less balloony profile makes it look a wider than it actually is. Much better grip under wet conditions though, my brother was slipping a few meters after switching to an older 18XL on wet cliffs! I also like the turning behaviour a bit better.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2020 at 3:25 PM, Lutalo said:

The power that the MSP delivers is more than a mere flip of some firmware switch.

If the first gen MSX doesn't beep at you under hard riding, then there's still torque available.
Modify the firmware to deliver more, and it should feel more snappy and responsive.

They already have profiles made to deliver x amount of motor torque at x angle of lean.

it can all be changed.

On 3/19/2020 at 1:51 PM, EUC GUY said:

If the first gen MSX doesn't beep at you under hard riding, then there's still torque available.
Modify the firmware to deliver more, and it should feel more snappy and responsive.

They already have profiles made to deliver x amount of motor torque at x angle of lean.

it can all be changed.

Yeah. I know very well that torque delivery profiles can be changed via firmware. I own a 1st batch 18L and 18XL that I bought when they were released, which have gone through several firmware upgrades since they were released. I have upgraded every time and for every tweak of the firmware they have done, and have noticed the differences. I love what they can do when they decide to adjust the firmware profiles.
I am not arguing about whether or not it can be done by firmware. I am pointing out however that the power increase for the MSP specifically is largely due to a new/bigger hub motor and not merely switch flipping firmware profiles.

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 6:42 PM, bigwave said:

That was my thinking when I got a 18XL . Let me tell ya, the more Km's I'm riding the more that speed thing is starting to creep up and up......lol. 

😂😂😂😂😂 Yeah. That tends to happen. Couple of weeks ago I was riding the Nik+ and my son was on the 18XL I looked up and he was like a half mile behind. I let him catch me. When I asked what had happened he responded that he just couldn’t keep up. The 18XL was beeping and tilting him back. I checked the app and I had hit 39 as a top speed on a stretch of road we were on. I knew that I had been going over 30 for that stretch, maybe around 35, but I guess I was in the zone and didn’t realize. It was such a nice stretch of road. 🌪🌪🌪🌪

• Like 1

I'm confused about the Nikola Plus. I went to Jason's site to see the Nikola, is there any distinction or is the original Nikola simply obsoleted with the new Nikola replacing it by default? I wanted to see the specs but unless I know exactly what I am looking at I can't trust I am applying what I am seeing to the correct model. Or does the drop down (on Jason's site) for battery type denote the model?  :huh:

Yep, the Plus is just the 100V Nikola. Some dealers may call all Nikolas "Plus" or something (Gotway have never been clear what "plus" means until now).

There's the 84V Nikola and 100V Nikola, in various battery sizes each, that is all.

See here for Gotways model overview.

5 hours ago, Roadpower said:

I'm confused about the Nikola Plus. I went to Jason's site to see the Nikola, is there any distinction or is the original Nikola simply obsoleted with the new Nikola replacing it by default? I wanted to see the specs but unless I know exactly what I am looking at I can't trust I am applying what I am seeing to the correct model. Or does the drop down (on Jason's site) for battery type denote the model?  :huh:

There are currently 4 Nikola models in production:

1) Nikola 84 volt 1600 wh

2) Nikola 84 volt 2100 wh

3) Nikola Plus 100 volt 900wh with the 21700 cells

4) Nikola Plus 100 volt 1800wh with the 21700 cells

5 hours ago, xorbe said:

I think Nik+ just means 100V.  Maybe we could ask ewheels to add that point to his product page, as it has come up before.

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yep, the Plus is just the 100V Nikola. Some dealers may call all Nikolas "Plus" or something (Gotway have never been clear what "plus" means until now).

There's the 84V Nikola and 100V Nikola, in various battery sizes each, that is all.

See here for Gotways model overview.

47 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

There are currently 4 Nikola models in production:

1) Nikola 84 volt 1600 wh

2) Nikola 84 volt 2100 wh

3) Nikola Plus 100 volt 900wh with the 21700 cells

4) Nikola Plus 100 volt 1800wh with the 21700 cells

Thanks for the feed back, yeah that wheel apparently needs some clarification. <_<

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 12:20 PM, Sebrios said:

I'd go for an MSP (not as comfy) or Nikola,

or even a Tesla that can cruise at 48km/h.. its super light and nimble... I wished they had a Tesla 100V. That would be my dream wheel

I agree the tesla is perhaps the most under rated wheel on the market!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Over 300km behind and big smile every time i get to ride this thing. So much power and torque, but still comfortable to ride. Big uphills go like flying and haven't heard a peeb from this wheel. It's just like you ask more and it delivers. There's no need to watch speed, because this thing goes faster than I fear to ride. After 50kph I think it's little sketchy with bad surface, but not going that fast anyway. Big thanks to you all. Stay safe out there.

• Like 3