New long cruiser

On 3/7/2020 at 3:09 PM, Mike Sacristan said:

When it comes to 84v 1554Wh wheels they are "the same".
So the 16x, Nikola, MSX and 18XL are "the same".
Since they are "the same" then you can just go ahead and get the cheapest one...

This school of thought appeals to me.  I get the feeling that the differences within these wheels are fairly nitpicky at the end of the day, and people who have only one tend to like the one they have.  Not that there aren't differences, but for someone who doesn't know any better, you could just pick one and enjoy it.  I am very into audiophile headphones and you run into a similar thing at the high end of that hobby too... all the $1500+ headphones are amazing and, while there are differences, you could pretty much pick any and be super happy.

There's an Ali seller who has the Nik 84 for ~$1500 right now and the 100v for ~$1700.  Very tempting to just get the Nik 100 and have the best of the best right now.  I do worry that it might be a bit too much wheel for a noobie, but that's what speed limiting is for, right?  :-D

EDIT - Ooops the 100V is the smaller battery config.  Still, ~$1500 for the Nik 84v 1600Wh or MSX 84v 1600Wh.  Bummer about that white strip on the 84v Nik.  lol

Edited by Stillhart
  • Like 1

I dont think they are all 'the same'. Just as a ford tempo and honda civic are similar but not the same. The devil is in the details. Specs may be similar, but isnt it the small details we feel as a rider, something to pay attention to? Then theres also maintenance, dependability, and parts availability. Im sure most the top contenders are great wheels, but to assume the differences are so minor that it doesnt matter... Not sure I can jive on that.  Of course, some people are ocd and LOOK for differences and some people like to avoid focusing on that and just ride.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I dont think they are all 'the same'. Just as a ford tempo and honda civic are similar but not the same. The devil is in the details. Specs may be similar, but isnt it the small details we feel as a rider, something to pay attention to? Then theres also maintenance, dependability, and parts availability. Im sure most the top contenders are great wheels, but to assume the differences are so minor that it doesnt matter... Not sure I can jive on that.  Of course, some people are ocd and LOOK for differences and some people like to avoid focusing on that and just ride.

Well I took that quote out of context.  In context, the guy was saying how he was riding any of them at the limit, etc.  To me it's more about how in broad strokes, they're basically the same.  Of course there are differences and of course they're in the details.  But as long as there aren't any major differences that aren't just details, that's good enough for a certain subset of buyers.

• Like 1