Bluetooth problems

Joker10

I have had a weird problem with my 18l ever since I got it.  I lose bluetooth connection between the wheel and whatever app I am using to monitor the wheel, it happens after an indiscriminate distance.  When I connect before he ride it seems to stay connected fine, but after I start rolling it will just lose connection at some distance.  The weird thing is that I play music through the speakers all the time and I never get disconnected between the music and the phone.  It didn’t use to  e a concern because The apps all left something to be desired.  But since Seba released EUC world I really want to use it but keep losing connection.  I have tried wheel log, darkness bot, kingsong and euc world and I lose connection between the wheel and the phone, the music never loses connection.  Been through multiple firmware updates.  Anyone have any ideas?   Thanks for any help. 

• Like 1

You might want to contact your seller.  My Telsa's BT stopped working just before winter for some reason so I suspect maybe a loose contact to the BT daughter board, or maybe it got fried.  Luckily they are cheap and fairly generic (dunno about the 18L though).  There is a specific way to program them to work IIRC as I don't think they are plug and play.  Also check to see if your device isn't putting the app in some sort of sleep mode when the screen is off?  Maybe double check it is seated well and if there is an antenna that it is routed to avoid interference?

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

My Telsa's BT stopped working just before winter

Your BT module probably went into it’s yearly hibernation. I’m sure when spring arrives it will wake up again. ;)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Joker10 said:

I have had a weird problem with my 18l ever since I got it.

Seems you're affected with issue I described above. So please try resetting your wheel by disconnecting batteries. If it won't help, you can blame motherboard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seba said:

EUC Bluetooth address was 08:08:08:08:08:01 what was different from normal address

Maybe include a warning in EUC World (?at the HW info page) if this address is used. Or just list the used Blue tooth address there? :D

... Since you mentioned you looked the adress up in your database - it's already in the log files in the extras column!...

1 hour ago, Seba said:

I suggest following procedure to hard-reset entire EUC (including BLE module):

I assume there is no software side resetting possible beside updating the firmware?

Would be cool to save one from opening the wheel - but then one has the (?!very little?) chance of bricking ones wheel... Maybe an even a bit bigger chance, since one has an unstable bluetooth connection?

... so this could be (beside some other hickups) one reason of some KS owners struggling with FW updates?

So checking the bluetooth address and this HW reset routine could be especially recommended before an update?

1 hour ago, Seba said:

I've checked several tours while EUC was using this BT address and noticed that users experienced connection lost during ride. But there are also tours that are fine (no connection problems) even if BT addr was 08:08:08:08:08:01

1 hour ago, Seba said:

If this won't help we may suspect faulty mainboard.

Once one has the wheel open one can check the bluetooth "antenna" (a short piece of ?blue? wire, just connected on one side). I've seen different versions - curled up as "pig tail", straight,...

Don't which is better - but some antennas where squeezed between the board and the casing, "hidden" under the board, below the fan, ...

So a nice and proper positioning could help?

Or this is the antenna for the music connection and the data connection uses the PCB antenna on the extra module? Or vice versa?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Or this is the antenna for the music connection and the data connection uses the PCB antenna on the extra module? Or vice versa?

#1 - I would say this is the HC-08 BLE module for data transfer

#2 - this should be the on board Bluetooth for music.

I have no problems receiving Bluetooth Data, but the range of Bluetooth Music is only 2-3 meters with visual contact. If I stand in between it is only 1-2 meters.

I am therefore also interested in whether I can perhaps pull the antenna spiral apart and lay it straight? 

Screenshot-20200208-103118-Quick-Pic.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Seba! The operation seems to have been a success.  I followed the instructions and it must have reset the Bluetooth address.  I forgot to check the address before and after but I did get a couple of 2 mile ride in this evening to and from the gym.  Stayed connected the whole ride.  And that’s a first.   Ow to determine how to get my tours uploaded.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well bad news.  It didn’t work.  I found that I was still getting frequent disconnects I checked the Bluetooth address and it was 08:08:08:08:08:01. I tried 3 more times to reset the address but can’t get it off of that address.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joker10 said:

Well bad news.  It didn’t work.  I found that I was still getting frequent disconnects I checked the Bluetooth address and it was 08:08:08:08:08:01. I tried 3 more times to reset the address but can’t get it off of that address.  

I'd assume you let it rest with discharged capacitors long enough?

On 2/8/2020 at 8:54 AM, Seba said:
  • Press power button to discharge capacitors.
  • Wait for 15 minutes.

PS.: @Joker10 - i moved this topic to the KINGSONG subforum so i can make it sticky, as it seems to be an "general" KS "problem". So it's easier to find for all KS riders...

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Joker10 said:

15 to 20 minutes.  I actually set a timer on my phone to make sure.  Should it have been longer?  I can try leaving it overnight if I need to.  

Maybe pushing the button some times until nothing happens anymore should do it - no more voltage and a full restart happens.

As the "bluetooth adress is set" while the initializing at the startup and ?one does not know exactly? why and what happens you maybe just had three times bad luck.

Best leave the wheel open and check until adress changed!

... or you just have a "bad" bluetooth module?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

... or you just have a "bad" bluetooth module?

I suspect it's the case.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is happening to my 18l as well.  Has the above fix of disconnecting batteries worked for anyone?  It would be good to know before opening up the wheel.

Mine seems to do a lot of reconnecting beeps when I slow to a near stop, or stop after a few minutes of riding.  It happened to me twice on my ride home today, (which is about a 10 min ride.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 12:59 PM, Joker10 said:

I have had a weird problem with my 18l ever since I got it.  I lose bluetooth connection between the wheel and whatever app I am using to monitor the wheel, it happens after an indiscriminate distance.  When I connect before he ride it seems to stay connected fine, but after I start rolling it will just lose connection at some distance.  The weird thing is that I play music through the speakers all the time and I never get disconnected between the music and the phone.  It didn’t use to  e a concern because The apps all left something to be desired.  But since Seba released EUC world I really want to use it but keep losing connection.  I have tried wheel log, darkness bot, kingsong and euc world and I lose connection between the wheel and the phone, the music never loses connection.  Been through multiple firmware updates.  Anyone have any ideas?   Thanks for any help. 

I have the same problem exactly with my KS-16 and have had it since it was brand new. Will not stay connected to APP. 

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, I never had this problem with the 16s.  Mine still doesn’t work so I just ride and watch the battery through the led lights on the side.  Haven’t been riding too much lately since Florida is so damn hot and humid.  Just started using the wheel again for the last couple of weeks.  

• 2 months later...