Skydio 2 is here!!!

Kens

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

I put $100 down.

i mean, what’s another drone I don’t use.

maybe @Rehab1 will talk some sense into me.

but, if it can follow me and Bob around the ranch without hitting all these trees, I gotta see that.

I rarely use my 1st generation Mavic Pro because mostly of afraid crashing it to trees, wires, poles.. and regulations..

If I can get a drone that is simple to use and can follow me around without crashing into things then maybe I will using it more :D

@Rehab1 I heard anyone who bought the R1 will be able to buy the Skydio 2 for a "significantly discounted price" :efeeec645d:

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:popcorn:  I was trying to spot @Marty Backe riding around in that promo video, but oh well no such luck.  :cry2:  Maybe it’s finally time for a drone, Marty!!  :w00t2:

I saw this video on Youtube, and thought geez this is exactly what EUC Youtubers need!  Hopefully it lives up to it’s claims.  Too bad the arms can be swivelled in for compact storage.  I wonder whether it can spot overhead power lines... 

That is cool. I'll keep an eye for that post release. Maybe for next summers riding season :confused1:

• Like 3

Wow!  That actually pretty insane.  I actually fly drones commercially and that is a game changer.  FAA is starting to catch up to the drone tech, and eventually  letting some drones fly over people and at night, but it has to meet certain manufacturing specs.  That tracker is a game changer, they should of included that in their specs.

• Like 1

I'm impressed by the manufacturing and assembling line. Usually I'm skeptical of paying for the privilege of being first in line for a buggy 1st generation product, but Skydio seems akin to 1.5 generation. Note, however, the almost required accessories puts the price around $1500, but that also pays for the built-in Skydio collision insurance, where they replace your broken Skydio, presumably after looking at its data log. Flight failure over water? You're probably out of luck.

• Like 1

I would definitely wait for others to test this out to see how well it works before splurging that much coin as often the advertisement promises fall short in the real world.  They must be quite confident in it though as they removed the rotor shields so if it does go haywire it could be a pretty crazy airborne blender.  :blink:  But hey, they got self-driving cars now so why not a self-flying drone?  It would be interesting to see someone rig up some thin laundry rope and have it try to fly through some horizontal obstacles.  One other concern are the downward facing rotors when landing.

It would be even cooler if the rotors could tilt to allow it to fly diagonally or vertically.  Or is that thinking too far ahead?  :whistling:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

new R2 is suppose to go 35 mph in no wind where my R1 could barely hit 22 mph. This could be a game changer!:clap3:

What will you use this drone for, assuming its capabilities are as advertised? Does it even come close to the feel of general aviation (if you use goggles)?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks  @Kens. Just what I need... another drone.:facepalm:

Don’t buy it Novazeus!!!! 

Me too. My current Skydio loved power lines and tiny branches. 

Who are you kidding Marty? You never wait. :popcorn:Tell you what... let me crash mine after it arrives and I‘ll sell it to you really cheap!;)

That’s what I like about my Skydio R1. The rotor enclosure protected my drone when it hit trees and also dropped 30 feet after hitting power lines. Just a few broken props. 

Skydio is great company! They sent me 2 sets of props, a carrying bag and sunglasses...all for free!  I just called to request spare blades last week and they stated there wouldn’t be any charge. Amazing!

48834131153_77a9e6c462_b.jpg

The new R2 is suppose to go 35 mph in no wind where my R1 could barely hit 22 mph. This could be a game changer!:clap3:

Ur not very convincing.

i like that it’s an American company.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LanghamP said:

What will you use this drone for, assuming its capabilities are as advertised? Does it even come close to the feel of general aviation (if you use goggles)?

I’ve used the original Skydio R1 to follow me on my EUC rides. The increased speed of the R2 should open up some exciting video shot possibilities.

I also like idea of being able to program the R2 like the Mavic and have it fly to selected waypoints and elevations automatically. 

Nothing will ever beat the feeling of general aviation. :)

• Like 1

:w00t2:  That thing is sooo cool.  Did you see the part where it lost sight of him behind a wall and then gained altitude to avoid another wall and locked back on him?  Holy crap it flies so fast too.  I wonder how safe it is near pedestrians like if there were someone watering plants or something bent over who suddenly stood up - how good is the avoidance system?  Or say some kid jumps up to try to touch it with a hand... or someone throws a soccer ball at it... or say you go into a narrow, dark tunnel will it follow you in or will it gain altitude to go over and potentially fly into traffic or will it park and alert you that it has lost tracking... or say a seagull swoops down on an attack run what does it do... 🤔

Seriously, I would pay money to watch a Marty Backe video with drone follow footage through trees and around those mountain pathways that he rides through.  That would be epic.:popcorn:   I wonder how people got to be beta testers?

Without landing gear, won’t those props get damaged pretty easily?  I wonder why they need so much plastic shell.  Wouldn’t a minmalist shell with metal motor support arms lighten the load and lengthen flight times?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I pulled up some patent documents on the new Skydio. Below is a flow chart of the drone’s sophisticated computerized interfaces. 

49031476007_eca7b249bd_b.jpg

The new drone will begin shipping the end of this month. :clap3:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

December 10th Q&A session with Skydio’s CEO. 

Becoming Skydio 2

https://link.medium.com/L3PENQXKo2

Skydio’s reservation process: 

We have begun shipping the first production batch (in the order in which reservations were placed)! 

Reservation pre-orders for production batches 1, 2 and 3 are sold out. Currently, reservation orders are for production batch 4, which will ship in the 3rd quarter of 2020.

Note: Batch 1 reservation order numbers begin with a 6, batch 2 with 7, batch 3 with 8, and batch 4 with 9. When a customer completes their reservation and/or adds accessories, they'll get a new order number. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Too bad we can't get them in Europe... :cry2:

I can buy one for you and ship it but with all of the algorithms tied into the system it may not function properly in your country. That would be a good question for Skydio. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I can buy one for you and ship it but with all of the algorithms tied into the system it may not function properly in your country. That would be a good question for Skydio. 

Thanks! That's a good point you bring up, might write to them asking if (as a US resident) I'd have any issues with it when I travel to Europe for my...table tennis tournament? :ph34r::efefa6edcf:

• Like 2