Skydio 2 is here!!!

Kens

• 3 months later...
On 1/16/2022 at 4:34 PM, 5Cauac said:

I got this thing back in November and just now putting it to the test. 🤣

Got to learn the ropes so I can include Skydio footage in my vids. 😎

Looks like fun. That concrete park is awesome! Watch those trees and powerlines. Give it a flight with an ipad and controller, pretty fun! Im not good enought to ride well and keep up with wtf the skydio is doing. The app lets you record audio to your driod or ios device. Pretty usefull at distance, otherwise it just an angry swarm of bees. I think you can put skydio stats on screen, but thats not really useful for euc stats. Cool vid man, looking forwards to what kind of features and workflow you come up with..

Edited by ShanesPlanet

25 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Im not good enought to ride well and keep up with wtf the skydio is doing.

Ya, autonomous my ass! You have to be conscious of where the drone is flying and predict what it may do according to what you want it to do and adjust it's flight. Knowing how it behaves according to your inputs is key to a successful tracking session. I'm still learning. Took it out for some coastal riding last weekend and ended up with 30 mins of boring, unusable footage due to no scenic value. It tracked me flawlessly but the view angle of me and the road from above sucked ass.

I use my phone as a remote viewer while using the beacon to control the drone. I think this is the best solution for tracking our type of rides.

Edited by 5Cauac

11 minutes ago, 5Cauac said:

Ya, autonomous my ass! You have to be conscious of were the drone is flying and predict what it may do according to what you want it to do and adjust it's flight. Knowing how it behaves according to your inputs is key to a successful tracking session. I'm still learning. Took it out for some coastal riding last weekend and ended up with 30 mins of boring, unusable footage due to no scenic value. It tracked me flawlessly but the view angle of me and the road from above sucked ass.

I use my phone as a remote viewer while using the beacon to control the drone. I think this is the best solution for tracking our type of rides.

I use my galaxy s9+ for eucw and was using it for the drone. It works okay with a beacon AND the phone out here. I still found myself needing to not only operate the drone, but try and think about what it is GOING to do. Autonomous kind of, but the caveat is you can watch it destroy itself with no time to react, as its flying itself. Gps out here is shit, so mine isnt reliable with just remote. Btw, i got a spare remote, need one?

At the end of the day, I am still not feeling safe by using the drone AND trying to ride out here. I simply can't split my focus that well. I have crashed my skydio about 4  times now. Everytime it was a powerline and it SHOULD have gone simply over or under. Problem is, it changes its altitude as it flies, so you can't be certain exactly where its gna be. Actively piloting the drone works, but whos piloting the euc? I must confess tho, it is VERY cool if you are just playing film maker and have the focus to devote to the drone. Filming others will be very nice. Its also very enjoyable with an ipad mini and controller.

Be careful with it for sure. They are tough bastards, but luckily ALL my crashes were at speed into a powerline and the battery goes one way, the drone crash landed in a field the other way. If you are in a concrete jungle, your results would vary. It does make me nervuos around people and cars. Just the fact it has a mind of its own, but VERY bad eyesight, says quite a bit about how it needs used.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

29 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

think you can put skydio stats on screen, but thats not really useful for euc stats. Cool vid man, looking forwards to what kind of features and workflow you come up with..

I'll have to look into the on screen stats.  I can see speed being useful. So far I've combined two cams which you can see in the Video Thread. What would really be fun is to make a short film using all my available cams that involves EUC riding. Like an action/thriller short with a chase scene on EUCs. Care to come up with a story??  :popcorn:😎

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 5Cauac said:

I'll have to look into the on screen stats.  I can see speed being useful. So far I've combined two cams which you can see in the Video Thread. What would really be fun is to make a short film using all my available cams that involves EUC riding. Like an action/thriller short with a chase scene on EUCs. Care to come up with a story??  :popcorn:😎

My imagination sucks, but some cheesy sci-fi like back in the 70's, seems fitting...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

but some cheesy sci-fi like back in the 70's, seems fitting...

:laughbounce2: That sounds like spending hours at the local Goodwill store picking out stuff for props. :facepalm:

That reminds me of the time I visited the Star Wars exhibit when it was in San Francisco back in the 90's.

I was so amazed at all the "everyday items" that were used to create props and even some of the vehicle models. Very cool stuff.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5Cauac said:

:laughbounce2: That sounds like spending hours at the local Goodwill store picking out stuff for props. :facepalm:

That reminds me of the time I visited the Star Wars exhibit when it was in San Francisco back in the 90's.

I was so amazed at all the "everyday items" that were used to create props and even some of the vehicle models. Very cool stuff.  

I have Willrow Hood's ice cream freezer from Star Wars - it'll help your Skydio 2 do the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs......

• Like 1