Im falling in love with EUC and the community that surrounds this wicked awesome sport/hobby/lifestyle.

Peters

Im falling in love with EUC and the community that surrounds this wicked awesome sport/hobby/lifestyle.

Im doing lots or reseach on which EUC to get as my first. Reading lots on the forum and watching tons of Youtube vids, created by many of the members of this forum.
First of all, to all the contributors, thank you so very much in giving of your reviews, comments, videos and suggestions. I LOVE them!

Im about to purchase my very first EUC and wondering what would you recommend?

Bit about me so you may gauge your suggestions.
Im 5' 7", 170 Lbs, medium build, size 9 shoes (LOL... thought id add that in for fun!).
I currently ride a Segway ES4 electric scooter as my last mile commuter. I also ride motorcycles (love speed, while keeping safe of course). Play lots of sports.

I want an EUC that I can grow into, I was thinking something more advance (even though its my very first).
Im so excited to get into an EUC, hope the learning curve is easy for me... I hope !?!

What would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

61540571_10156403580015415_3705001998286

• Like 3

In my opinion the  long-term fun factor is higher if you dont start with the largest and most powerful wheel. A small wheel at the beginning can be a lot of fun. It is lighter and more agile. After some time you have reached the limits of the wheel and it is nice to know that you have the potential to change to a more powerful wheel.

• Like 3

On 9/23/2019 at 8:19 PM, Peters said:

(love speed, while keeping safe of course)

You said it all!  

Your 2 options:

1. Nikola Plus 1845 Wh 100 Volt Longer Range (than the MSX) "for group rides" plus that Extra Speed .

2. MSX 1230 Wh 100 Volt Long Range plus Extra Speed

Stay away from the 84 Volts if you like Speed.

I see on this forum that guys that have the MSX are now riding the Nikola, what does that tell you? :smartass:

Get yourself the BIG Wheel. I started riding 14 months ago and have 3 wheels now, cause I started of with a small wheel KS16S. Save your money and go for it! Just pad it all up until it "Clicks In"(get the hang of it).

Let us know what wheel you pick?

Lets Roll, Have Fun and Be Safe!

Edited by Dave U
MSX wrong Wh
  • Like 3

Appreciate all your comments. Yes, this is going to be a very expensive hobby/sport for me, if I should get hooked on it.... even now, I feel like Im already hooked.... and... I dont even have a wheel yet... LOL !   I think I have a problem !  I need help (suggestions?..LOL)!

Watching all your crazy fun videos got me soooo hooked on this EV form factor (despite me having fun with my electric scooter - Segway ES4), I feel this EUC world is my natural next progression into the PEV (or FEV) world. I want to be free as a bird and fly though the air like all your videos... leaning right into the wind at 40mph +, while having both hands free, and my body controlling the acceleration and steering. I want to experience how this feels (in this lifetime) !!! (Thank you for all your videos that shows this amazing and inspiring experience!).

Many of you are correct in saying that cost is a concern. These EUC are quite expensive !!!  Specially when considering I will likely only ride it in the summer months (say 4 months) per year. I live in Vancouver BC Canada, so it rains here lots once October hits (as you North Westerners of the US would also attest to).

I really love the technical specs of the Nikola 100V... totally agree with you all ! I think we all geeky nerds inside and are turned on by LARGE numbers... LOL (or is it just me !?!)

Thank you once again for all your comments, suggestions and personal experiences in your journey into the EUC world. It really helps me gain a great perspective of where I will eventually be in few months/years........... likely addicted and buying everything new that comes out  (or dreaming/druling of it). With a collection of EUC, wondering what got over me !?!  Unsure if I look forward to that or dread that? Oh boy here we go!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peters said:

Watching all your crazy fun videos got me soooo hooked on this EV form factor (despite me having fun with my electric scooter - Segway ES4), I feel this EUC world is my natural next progression into the PEV (or FEV) world. I want to be free as a bird and fly though the air like all your videos... leaning right into the wind at 40mph +, while having both hands free, and my body controlling the acceleration and steering. I want to experience how this feels (in this lifetime) !!! (Thank you for all your videos that shows this amazing and inspiring experience!).

Hah. I got into this in a similar way.. tried out a friend's V8, was immediately obsessed, and it's only gotten worse (better?) since then! But I have no regrets at all because the feeling I get from riding an EUC is like no other.

I rode a V8 for a year until I got my 16X. I'm happy that I got a less powerful wheel to start actually. The V8 is still an awesome wheel for short trips and tricks. I plan to keep it.

If your goal is to go 40mph it sounds like you will want to go with a 100V wheel.. I'm still too chicken to go over 25mph on my 16X 😅

• Like 1

Hi Peters

I ride motocycle in canada as well, and start EUC 2 months ago. Love every mins of it. Remember your first motocycle ? remember we asked 250/300 or 650/1000 bike ??  I think it's the same (if you take out the insurance part :)) 

I end up with the 250 bike (main factor is insurance, as you know it's crazy here), however, I wish I get bigger EUC than the ninebot one S2, but got lots of fun with this wheel and planing to keep it for awhile. My main concern was : "what if I give up? " It's took me couple weeks just to go straight-line. I almost gave up, but when I got it... it's ton of fun .

have fun with your 100V (if you already go with it :).  I do need to save more money for upgrade

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

No. For EUCs, the top or near-top of the market is where you get the most for your money. If you can afford it and such a wheel is right for you in the first place, the best course of action if you want to use your money efficiently is buying "the best" right away.

I look at expensive EUCs with great suspicion, because as motorized vehicles they get banged up and broken, or stolen. Two midrange models, preferably of different sizes, would make the buyer less vulnerable to breakdowns, while working better for most (not all) situations.

I don't think warranties are worth piss, because you have to ship out the wheel at cost, and now you have no wheel. Nothing of something is 0% efficiency. 

You could buy a $950 KS16S and also a $800 mcm5 for the cost of a $2000 KS16X. That way, you have a lot more options, including lending and riding with a friend (we're generous!).

An alternative is to look very seriously at your car ownership; the average cost per year of owning a car is $9500 per year. If you live in a place where you can use a wheel and taxi the rest (Uber and Lyft aren't long for this world) then consider buying a bunch of wheels, eBikes, and other electrics to your heart's content. $9500 per year buys a lot of electrics.

• Like 1

If you can afford it, buy the 100V Nikola.  I have over 2k miles on my 84V and absolutely love it but consistently hit the ceiling on speed.  I'd buy a 100V now but with the prospect of a 126V I'll wait, but that's only because I already have a decent wheel.  

Good luck!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dong said:

Hi Peters

I ride motocycle in canada as well, and start EUC 2 months ago. Love every mins of it. Remember your first motocycle ? remember we asked 250/300 or 650/1000 bike ??  I think it's the same (if you take out the insurance part :)) 

I end up with the 250 bike (main factor is insurance, as you know it's crazy here), however, I wish I get bigger EUC than the ninebot one S2, but got lots of fun with this wheel and planing to keep it for awhile. My main concern was : "what if I give up? " It's took me couple weeks just to go straight-line. I almost gave up, but when I got it... it's ton of fun .

have fun with your 100V (if you already go with it :).  I do need to save more money for upgrade

Dong... you nailed it! 250CC or 600CC, that was the great debate when I first started riding motorcycle.
And yes, its very much the same question at this juncture of my EUC initiation. Do I get super fast or something just for learning?

Based on my history of motorcycle, my first bike was a Ninja 600R, so its most likely that I may follow the same reckless path... and go with a crazy fast EUC for my first.... LOL !!!

I am considering 100V Nikola or KS16X based on user reviews and fun videos Ive watched. Its soooo expensive!!! May be the death of me if I get one of these super fast EUC!

Yes, cost of these EUC is a careful consideration on budgetary constraint... specially when you consider I live in Vancouver (stupid expensive).

Thank you so much for your input

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

126V isn't happening in the foreseeable future... but maybe some new 21700 models.

Yes the 21700 nikola is on the list of gotway soon 2 battery packs ,,1800wh if i can remember👍

Edited by stephen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

You could buy a $950 KS16S and also a $800 mcm5 for the cost of a $2000 KS16X. That way, you have a lot more options, including lending and riding with a friend (we're generous!).

Do you mean used prices for the KS-16S and MCM5? If new, I'd like to know where please.

59 minutes ago, Vince23heat said:

Do you mean used prices for the KS-16S and MCM5? If new, I'd like to know where please.

I paid $926 for my KS16s through AliExpress but geolocking put an end to grey market imports. 

My KS16S was the last shiny new wheel I bought, before geolocking and tarifs brought an end to our fun. However, I'm guessing wheel prices will drop dramatically in the future, because mass produced electronic items from China have historically done so (eScooters and eBikes have already dropped dramatically).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

126V isn't happening in the foreseeable future... but maybe some new 21700 models.

Don't buy the Speedyfeet propaganda. I've never considered Ian to be on the leading edge of wheel development. He really doesn't participate in social media and often seems out of the loop with regards to what's happening. I think he's busy selling wheels instead of learning the finer details of what's going on in the EUC world. IMO.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The 84V & 100V were unheard of previously but it happened.  I’m optimistic about the 126V happening but who knows how long??? I’m willing to wait, at this moment in time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I paid $926 for my KS16s through AliExpress but geolocking put an end to grey market imports. 

My KS16S was the last shiny new wheel I bought, before geolocking and tarifs brought an end to our fun. However, I'm guessing wheel prices will drop dramatically in the future, because mass produced electronic items from China have historically done so (eScooters and eBikes have already dropped dramatically).

What do you mean by geolocking? Sorry Im new to all this EUC lingo.

1 hour ago, Peters said:

What do you mean by geolocking? Sorry Im new to all this EUC lingo.

Pretty much all EUCs require the smartphone app, to control alarm speeds, riding mode settings etc. KingSong app phones home when in use, and in my understanding it checks wether your wheel is ok to have been sold to the region you’re at.

@US69 explained how the geolocation is used, and IIRC it still doesn’t stop buying global versions from Aliexpress.

Regarding budget, if you plan on blasting at 30-40mph, you need serious protective gear that also cost several hundreds.

Regarding wheels, even as an MSX rider myself I wouldn’t recommend the MSX now that the Nikola is available. The Nikola just offers so much more in all aspects, especially comfort and features.

I consider the KingSong 16X and 18XL to complete the trio of current top wheels available (2000 USD). They are both limited to 33mph though.

Second value group (1000-1300? USD) of wheels that I’d recommend are Tesla and V10F.

Third, 16S and V8 (1000 USD). I wouldn’t pay US$1300 for a 16S. I bought mine for 970€ more than two years ago.

While buying cheap at first would make sense if you are unsure of the hobby, I think that 99% of people who give the hobby a chance are bitten by the bug. So the instant urge to upgrade is a common problem.

• Like 3