Im falling in love with EUC and the community that surrounds this wicked awesome sport/hobby/lifestyle.

Peters

1 hour ago, Peters said:

What do you mean by geolocking? Sorry Im new to all this EUC lingo.

Geolocking an object means breaking its functionally when it's moved to outside its market region. It's a particular pet peeve of mine, because at great cost society built the transportation structure upon which goods flow.

Previously, you would have two choices.

1. Buy a wheel at full market value from a local dealer, with a warranty.

2. Buy a wheel from inside the manufacter's country and have it shipped to you. Since you're often buying directly from the manufacturer without warranty, you might spend about 30 to 50 % less.

However, geolocking means a wheel must be activated via cell phone from within the originating country. Of course, you can probably spoof your phone so it thinks it's inside China. In practice I strongly suspect wheel manufacturers go behind dealers backs (the dealers don't want you to buy wheels from anywhere but them...when you hear the term "exclusive dealer of x" that means dealers constrained supply in order to make more money) with a wink and a nudge because manufacturers are more interested in selling quantities of wheels than protecting their dealers. Without grey market goods manufacturers keep buyers who otherwise wouldn't buy their goods.

Ever noticed how refurbished goods almost always seem new? Most refurbished goods are new items being sold cheaper with little to no warranty. Refurbished just means "sneaky grey market goods sold to bottom feeders."

• Like 1

So if I bought a new 16S now from Ali, it wouldnt work in the uk? As in I couldnt get the app to work and therefore adjust anything? The sellers dont put this fact on their pages, so do they 'do the necessary' before shipping if its a non chinese destination? I havent had this added risk before because I think my V5F and Z10 were never geolocked in the first place.

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

So if I bought a new 16S now from Ali, it wouldnt work in the uk? As in I couldnt get the app to work and therefore adjust anything? The sellers dont put this fact on their pages, so do they 'do the necessary' before shipping if its a non chinese destination? I havent had this added risk before because I think my V5F and Z10 were never geolocked in the first place.

Looking through the AliExpress website, it seems all wheels are now unlocked. The last time I looked at AliExpress, the option to ship to the US was greyed out for almost all wheels.

That no longer seems to be the case. The wheel prices do seem very high for the newest wheels, but are low for the previous generation wheels. The Inmotion V10f seems particularly appealing; the next Chinese holiday might push that bad boy well below $1000. Insane.

3 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Goods news then, thanks. I think the KS16S was around £825 which I think is pretty good for an old, but still very rideable wheel (like the V10F).

I'd probably spend a bit more for the far better trolley handle and the ultra powerful motor in the V10f, but the KS16s is a workhorse.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Looking through the AliExpress website, it seems all wheels are now unlocked. The last time I looked at AliExpress, the option to ship to the US was greyed out for almost all wheels.

That no longer seems to be the case. The wheel prices do seem very high for the newest wheels, but are low for the previous generation wheels. The Inmotion V10f seems particularly appealing; the next Chinese holiday might push that bad boy well below $1000. Insane.

I think the V10/V10F would be the perfect training wheel for me when the price drops in November since I want to maintain a decent size tire. I passed on a $750 KS-16S (120 mile old version) to wait for Black Friday hoping that prices would drop. However, doesn't Inmotion's app block the wheels purchased on Aliexpress/Gearbest except the ones from their official global store? $800 for a V10 last November was a steal from Gearbest but what exactly was blocked by Inmotion?

Edited by Vince23heat

48 minutes ago, Vince23heat said:

I think the V10/V10F would be the perfect training wheel for me when the price drops in November since I want to maintain a decent size tire. I passed on a $750 KS-16S (120 mile old version) to wait for Black Friday hoping that prices would drop. However, doesn't Inmotion's app block the wheels purchased on Aliexpress/Gearbest except the ones from their official global store? $800 for a V10 last November was a steal from Gearbest but what exactly was blocked by Inmotion?

End of January is Chinese new year, that's when the really big discounts will hit on Ali etc. But the Ali/Gearbest sellers might very well do something for Black Friday.

The Inmotions sold on Gearbest are "official" to the best of my knowledge, but there might be problems with other China sellers (as far as they sell them in the first place).

The 800€ V10 was Europe only so you didn't really miss out. But boy that was a great offer for a new rider coming in at the right time!

44 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The 800€ V10 was Europe only so you didn't really miss out. But boy that was a great offer for a new rider coming in at the right time!

Oh so I don't feel too bad. Amazing price if it was in the US. People here are currently paying $810 for a new V8. 

5 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I'd probably spend a bit more for the far better trolley handle

16S V2 has an upgraded sturdier handle that shouldn't be a problem. There might still be V1s around though, so one should double check that they ship the V2 before purchase.

2 hours ago, Vince23heat said:

However, doesn't Inmotion's app block the wheels purchased on Aliexpress/Gearbest except the ones from their official global store?

Doesn't seem so, my friend received a V8 from Green Fashion two weeks ago.

On 9/24/2019 at 6:27 PM, Meelosh123 said:

I think the Tesla still hits a decent price-point for power/weight/range.  In my opinion, the MTen3's battery's too small if it's your only wheel and you're getting into the hobby.  Part of the fun is exploring and just going further and further.  If you're here, and you think you'll like it, then you'll probably love it and stick with it.  If that's the case and you've got the cash, then I'd get one of the newest 16" wheels.

:thumbup:

Yupp. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to be replacing my V8 with :D