How effective are helmet rear view mirrors?

Looking to buy a rear view mirror for me helmet, but they seem a bit small? Also don't they vibrate a fair bit as well?

I am technically blind in my right eye and so looking over my shoulder here in the U.K is quite difficult as I really need to twist around, which at my level of riding at the moment, almost throws me off balance. Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

I have a helmet mirror since a few months and it does the job. You're not going to be watching the scenery in it but it is enough to see if there is someone behind you (car or cyclist). It also have the benefit of always being there, compared to the wrist mirror.

Edited by Mimolette
  • Like 2

I DIY installed a mirror designed for bicycle handlebar ends on my helmet’s sun shield/flap/fixed visor. The mirror is short and sturdy, so it doesn’t vibrate. I absolutely love the mirror, and got so used to it that I feel naked and insecure whenever I use my other helmet that doesn’t have a sun shield. Having a rear view in the corner of one’s eye at all times is a magnificent aid in getting a full spectrum grasp on what happens around me.

A wrist mirror that has to be separately positioned every time one wants to have a look didn’t do it for me, since I have found it quite valuable to have a view even when one doesn’t know to actively have a look.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2019 at 9:44 PM, mrelwood said:

I DIY installed a mirror designed for bicycle handlebar ends on my helmet’s sun shield/flap/fixed visor. The mirror is short and sturdy, so it doesn’t vibrate.

Could you take a picture of it?  And some instructions how to do it, if it possible?  Thanks in advance!

On 10/21/2019 at 5:10 PM, rhagen said:

The problem with a helmet mirror for us older riders is the difficulty/inability focusing at that close distance. I got a wrist mirror so I can hold it at a distance that I can focus at.

I can't effectively focus either. However, I use a convex helmet mounted mirror. I'm not trying to read a newspaper.

You use the helmet mounted mirror for situational awareness. I don't care whether it's a Ford or Chevy that's approaching, or what kind of bicyclist is heading my way. All I need is to see what's approaching with a quick glance in the mirror. For that, a small convex mirror is all that's needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonnyBonz said:

@Marty Backe, can you share a link to the one that you use and a pic of it on your helmet?

If you click the link in my signature you'll find a page that provides links to all of the equipment that I use, including the mirror. Any of my photos show the mirror.

How about this one?

IMG_1123-HDR

• Like 1

20190223_231756.thumb.jpg.bca0df346384779a546daabf4b285912.jpg20190510_155554.thumb.jpg.ecbcdc10a1270e1999638fc40f13a54f.jpg

I  couldn't help myself. Pulling a few old photos out of archives 😉

Mine is from amazon.de, but isn't available anymore. I founf if the mirror is too close to my eye, I can't focus on it. Old eyes I guess🤓🙄

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01E2IK104/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_yEA3Db3TYR992

Edited by Unventor

I liked the convex-mirror-attached-to-back-of-wrist-guard idea and bought some of these which are about the perfect size/shape: https://amazon.com/dp/B0777JTJGJ/

Never got around to attaching them though as around the same time I finally got way more comfortable riding even with extreme amounts of twist in my torso. But I should dig them out and attach them anyway to mess with the idea some more, especially since with my new enclosed helmet I can't hear as well as I could with my open-air summer one, so I should be checking behind me much more often.

Edited by AtlasP

15 hours ago, LouRider said:

Could you take a picture of it?  And some instructions how to do it, if it possible?  Thanks in advance!

To install a bicycle handlebar end mirror on the helmet’s visor/shader:

1) Remove the part of the mirror that is supposed to go inside the handlebar.

2) While wearing helmet, position the mirror to a suitable place.

3) Drill a hole in the visor for the attachment bolt.

91266724-26-BE-42-DF-90-A9-D6389-C7-ACBF B3-CDB77-A-4102-402-E-B4-E5-0-DB3-CB32-F 758565-B6-327-F-4-F61-B5-BE-DF22-AF4-CC7 D875-E676-B3-B0-4-DD5-AC6-A-0342652794-A 24457-B89-CC0-B-4-F26-9-A8-B-54-F2-DEEFA B2-E2-A6-A3-249-B-47-DC-BA46-75-B025-DC0 

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, rhagen said:

What scares me with these helmet mounted mirrors is the thought that in a crash the shaft supporting the mirror could snap off and get driven into my face or eye. 

Me too. That’s why I chose a solution without said shaft. I have also seen helmet mirrors with a goose neck type multi-joint shaft. I can’t see them poking the eye either.

On 11/27/2019 at 5:45 AM, rhagen said:

What scares me with these helmet mounted mirrors is the thought that in a crash the shaft supporting the mirror could snap off and get driven into my face or eye. 

I can speak from experience. These mirrors break away from the during a crash. It would be a real freakish crash that would cause it to impale your face. And it's certainly not a risk if you where a helmet with a face shield.

This should be the least of your EUC worries :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gaz Bon said:

To be honest my helmet mirror broke off 2 face-plants ago and i don,t miss it at all 

You just become more aware but then again i am not a Tarmac Tourist 

I'm the opposite. Whenever I ride without a mirror I almost feel blind :(

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Slashebeest said:

same here, since I'm riding with my tsg pass, I no longer have a mirror and it feels like something's missing.

I think it's very personal. Some people will love rear mirrors attached to their helmets or worn on their hands. Other will prefer to just look behind. We've all different preferences and there is no universal solution :)

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, who_the said:

Guys... Stop trying to focus on the mirror. That's not how it works. 

Your focal distance is to the object seen in the mirror, not to the mirror itself. 

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/24711/why-is-the-focus-distance-for-a-mirror-image-further-than-the-surface-of-the-mir/24713

Train your eyes to do this (is actually easy) by looking at objects both in front and behind you in your mirror at similar distances. Try this off your EUC first (heh) to see how it feels. 

Now, of course, especially if you're nearsighted (and/or farsighted) then this technique won't work any better (obviously) then your forward vision. Sorry, no miracles, that will cost extra. 

You'll find rear view mirrors most effective when viewing objects at a similar distance behind you than objects in your unmirrored forward vision. This way, your eyes only need to minimally refocus and the experience is much more seamless. 

I attach with Dual Lock Velcro™ and prefer a shorter "stalk" (for a larger-appearing reflective surface) mounted at or above the browline, all to minimize (the already minimal) intrusion risk on impact. 

20191017_161001_resize_10.thumb.jpg.ff802d45c931e1606845c83181f48adf.jpg

I need to mount another mirror on a new helmet. Now that I have a supply of Dual Lock, I need to try that instead of using epoxy. Thanks for the reminder.