Will I learn how to drive EUC???

caravela

2 hours ago, beast@tanagra said:

When I got my huge-by-comparison V10F it was like starting all over again

Interestingly I didn't have this experience. After learning on my V8, I had zero problems hopping on my buddy's KS16S and then on my V10F when we got each of them. I anticipated/was worried there was going to be a steeper re-training curve and was pleasantly surprised when that wasn't the case (for me). And similarly I don't expect it to be any different to try an even bigger wheel. Although to my benefit the order for me was: 30lb V8, 37lb KS16S, 45lb V10F, presumably eventually some 50+ lb 18" or one of the new breed of massive 16", so there was some ramp up. I suppose going from a 20-something lb wheel straight to a 45 or 50+ lb wheel might've been more jarring.

Yeah....don't give up, and don't practice indoors (unless you have an indoor basketball court or something). It takes space. Try a few different things....riding next to a wall, wide open spaces, doing turns. And once you get going, don't get too overconfident...that was a big lesson for me. It's really much like a motorcycle. Ride safe.

I've been riding for almost 3 years, and often think about how strange it is I can get on these things so quickly and easily. It doesn't look natural, but it certainly feels natural after you've been riding awhile.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

I've been riding for almost 3 years, and often think about how strange it is I can get on these things so quickly and easily. It doesn't look natural, but it certainly feels natural after you've been riding awhile.

Great point.

When I got my first Segway i2 lesson from a friendly neighbor, I remember being fearful of every uneven pavement. Years later I can't understand how it's difficult for anyone because it's so natural for me.

I too am hoping to find that what I call second click with the EUC. I can ride mine now (1st click), but I look forward to that 'second click' which is what you have described as feeling natural. I saw a man yesterday in NYC riding his so effortlessly - texting, no helmet, gear (I don't recommend that), just gliding in the street. 

Congrats, @caravela!

You just pushed past the most challenging part of the learning process. From here on out it gets easier and much more fun. 

Achievement unlocked :)

Stay confident but respectful, always gear up, have fun and you’ll be rolling like Kuji in no time. 

Nice!! Congrats on the first click! I can tell you im pretty sure i typed it here or said it audibly that I dont think id be able to learn that thing. I felt so embarrassed walking my wheel to the school grounds, gripping the fence for dear life and falling over and over. Even when i could ride a bit, it would go down. Once i could stay on, i was still struggling and didnt have the confidence to go up and down any curb (from the sidewalk to the road, not the big curbs). It was terrifying. Kept going. There was a moment in there where I just assumed falling was the norm and that one should never have anything like a laptop or phone or camera on them at any time. Now 2700 (combined) km later and im comfortable riding in all sorts of conditions and at all sorts of speeds. Im fully geared up due to how i ride, and i still have things to learn. Like COMFORTABLY riding off curbs. I can do it, but there are times that my soul leaves my body. Jumping the wheel. Riding up curbs. Fast tight carves at speed to dodge obstacles. Super hard emergency breaking. Etc. Always something to learn even when you're proficient, but I think thats what makes me love this. Enjoy it! Its like a journey that never ends.

• Like 1

Little update:

The more I ride the more I love it!

I can honestly say that EUC is my first gadget ever which I just absolutely adore. Yesterday before falling a sleep I was thinking where I will ride tomorrow! Thats insane! :)

Please make a lilt ranking here of 3 best EUC to buy right now and give me in few worlds reason? (im preparing my self to buy second one, but I don't kn ow whitish one)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, caravela said:

Little update:

The more I ride the more I love it!

I can honestly say that EUC is my first gadget ever which I just absolutely adore. Yesterday before falling a sleep I was thinking where I will ride tomorrow! Thats insane! :)

Please make a lilt ranking here of 3 best EUC to buy right now and give me in few worlds reason? (im preparing my self to buy second one, but I don't kn ow whitish one)

it has begun.... welcome to the club lmao. i see you have your eyes on the msx already.. both of these are fairly large wheels, might i suggest something like the inmotion v5f(+ if you can) or the kingsong 14D/S.. no collection is complete without something 14" or smaller for tricks or fun around town, portable and easy to stash away, discrete, and better control for around town.. when i go down the street to pick up some groceries i dont want to be wheeling an 18" 50 lbs euc with me in the grocery store haha.. v10 is already great for an all rounder, msx is heavy duty high speed and burning trails so best would be something small and portable

edit: nvm i confused you for someone else lmao... well then, may i suggest the MSX! :P

Edited by Rywokast

2 minutes ago, caravela said:

I'm almost 40 Years old and being excited like a child :D

From small wheels Im thinking od mten3 - just for fun.

haha i feel ya.. mten3 is an extremely unique wheel.. i will tell you from experience though it is exactly that, just for fun.. im not saying its not possible but its not really for commuting even though it may seem like it.. the stock tire is very wide and very flat, it is fun as hell but reeeeally weird to get used to, the tire will fight you hard at first, and when going on say sloped sidewalks it will want to stay parallel to the slant and youll be fighting it, im just saying that it will be quite awkward going back and forth between wheels and youll need to stay sharp if you dont want to have to retrain yourself every time you get on it :P if you were to get one i would definitely suggest replacing the tire like marty did to something not so flat, but its not at all an easy task and you should definitely test it for at least a week to see if you like it or not.. just my personal opinion its not something i personally am super comfortable swapping back and forth with at least practicing for a few mins in the basement before taking it out haha. my personal recommendation still stands of a KS14D/S or V5F+.. maaaaaybe even a V8 its pretty similar in size to the V5 that way theres no grace period before feeling comfortable going out like on the mten and theyre still suitable enough for all situations.. mten is really small but still quite heavy so dont think just because of its size you can carry it around indefinitely, youd probably want to rig up a trolley. its more of a 4th/fun only wheel if you ask me

18 hours ago, caravela said:

I'm almost 40 Years old and being excited like a child :D

From small wheels Im thinking od mten3 - just for fun.

Welcome to the club!

I also just turned 40 and got my first wheel- a V5F- about 4 months ago. I’m now obsessed with EUC’s, I think about them everyday and sometimes even dream about them at night. I just bought a V10F and love both.

It probably would have been smarter to buy the V8 instead since it’s much lighter and I commute to the train (plus it’s half the price). I think everyone needs a V8 in their collection so I may end up buying one anyway. It’s certainly one of the most popular unicycles. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The 12 step video of UStride that @Lillian mentions worked out for me just great. I followed it religiously.  @caravela Before this video, I was badly bruised, irritated and ready to sell mine. Learning is also a bit of a spiritual journey :)

These are the things i've learned and @Jediah Matthew ( the UStride video creator) told me :

1. It's an alien movement to newbies, you're using muscles never used before. 
  2. You WILL be tired and ache in places you didn't think of. It IS a workout while learning. Sometimes you aren't learning simply cause your muscles are fatigued. Rest, build more strength with practice and as time passes, you'll manage it almost magically. 
  3. Protection protection protection. The more padded up you are, the less scared you'll be, the more relaxed you'll be, the better (and hence faster) you'll learn. Safety for yourself and others. 
  4. DO NOT be carried away by videos on YouTube saying "Learning EUC within 2 hours", "....within 4 hours".. etc etc.... Each person take his/her time. Although these videos helped, I ended up frustrated. Like i was the only idiot who couldn't. FALSE. Anyone can do it. You also feel tempted to fly by before you've even learnt how to walk (figuratively). These videos are great educational material, but follow your own instincts too. 
  5. In those 12 steps mentioned above, try doing each step till you're very good at each single step before moving to the next. May be its just the 1st step for a week? Who cares ? The first few steps will take time, and they progressively get easier, because you've developed the fundamentals and strength. If you think small, you wont be frustrated. If you're not frustrated, you will relax ,give it more time and then learn it. 
  6. The only magic ingredient is practice.  
  • Like 2

Just got my first EUC ever.

I did drive an electric scooter but never know how to skate/ski/suff.

Practiced 30 min ytd in my drive way, I feel terrible and wondering when I can drive this to work.
And after another 40 min today in the park near by... at least I can drive it back home after this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Phong Vu said:

Just got my first EUC ever.

I did drive an electric scooter but never know how to skate/ski/suff.

Practiced 30 min ytd in my drive way, I feel terrible and wondering when I can drive this to work.
And after another 40 min today in the park near by... at least I can drive it back home after this.

You're quite good already. You avoided the mistake many beginners make: going too slow.

Also, wrist guards:) Other gear is optional depending on you and the situation, but I recommend wrist guards for every second on the wheel.

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You're quite good already. You avoided the mistake many beginners make: going too slow.

Also, wrist guards:) Other gear is optional depending on you and the situation, but I recommend wrist guards for every second on the wheel.

yeah, thanks.
I have the helmet and wrist guards at home ready, definitely will wear them on next practice.
I didn't wear them in the video because before going to the park, I couldn't drive the wheel yet (I have to walk the wheel to the park, thinking about another hour of struggling). 

When I first got my V8 I practiced twice day and wasn't getting far.  Very frustrating.  I consider myself athletic and rode a skateboard often.  I took my wheel to a party, and someone said, dude your tire is flat.  I pumped it up and was instantly able to ride.  Post of a video of you trying to learn and perhaps we can give you some good tips. :)

• Like 1

I don't know about others, but once you know how to ride, doesn't it make you wonder what was so hard about it in the first place? It seems so easy once you have it down. Someone on here once said that if you know to ride a bicycle, you know how to ride a unicycle, you just may not realize it yet.

• 2 months later...
On 9/5/2019 at 2:04 PM, uniCHAKRA said:

The 12 step video of UStride that @Lillian mentions worked out for me just great. I followed it religiously.  @caravela Before this video, I was badly bruised, irritated and ready to sell mine. Learning is also a bit of a spiritual journey :)

These are the things i've learned and @Jediah Matthew ( the UStride video creator) told me :

1. It's an alien movement to newbies, you're using muscles never used before. 
  2. You WILL be tired and ache in places you didn't think of. It IS a workout while learning. Sometimes you aren't learning simply cause your muscles are fatigued. Rest, build more strength with practice and as time passes, you'll manage it almost magically. 
  3. Protection protection protection. The more padded up you are, the less scared you'll be, the more relaxed you'll be, the better (and hence faster) you'll learn. Safety for yourself and others. 
  4. DO NOT be carried away by videos on YouTube saying "Learning EUC within 2 hours", "....within 4 hours".. etc etc.... Each person take his/her time. Although these videos helped, I ended up frustrated. Like i was the only idiot who couldn't. FALSE. Anyone can do it. You also feel tempted to fly by before you've even learnt how to walk (figuratively). These videos are great educational material, but follow your own instincts too. 
  5. In those 12 steps mentioned above, try doing each step till you're very good at each single step before moving to the next. May be its just the 1st step for a week? Who cares ? The first few steps will take time, and they progressively get easier, because you've developed the fundamentals and strength. If you think small, you wont be frustrated. If you're not frustrated, you will relax ,give it more time and then learn it. 
  6. The only magic ingredient is practice.  

Wow sorry I'm so late in replying. Thanks for the mention. Very glad the video helped 👍 

On 9/6/2019 at 10:45 PM, Blueblade said:

I don't know about others, but once you know how to ride, doesn't it make you wonder what was so hard about it in the first place? It seems so easy once you have it down.

Now try riding backwards :rolleyes:

• Like 2