Will I learn how to drive EUC???

caravela

Hello to all of You!

I did bought an Inmotion V10f on Friday (28.06.2019). For past 3 days I did try to learn how to ride. The first day was a complete disaster. I could only barely stay on it. The next day was not much better. Yesterday and today I was trying it for an hour (each day). I did manage to ride it for few rounds across small parking but still I don't feel it. My legs are shacking quiet often. Im stress while riding. 

Do You think it will pass away and I ill be able to ride it like most of You? 

Should't i ride it quiet good after 4 hours of training???

• Like 3

Try watching some videos on YouTube. There are plenty. Or try to find others to teach you. You WILL learn it once it clicks. Remember to relax and look up. 

• Like 1

It took me a few weeks to learn. My friend learned in 5 minutes. Some of my friends still have not learned. It has taken my wife a bit over a week.

The most important thing to do is ride. It's not a matter of time but a matter of miles you put on the thing.
Try to ride X amount of miles every day. And then add a mile every day.

I became friends with my Ninebot One E+ after 500km.
I became friends with my MSX after 3000km. :roflmao:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You will learn. 5 hours is nothing.

Rule #1: Don't be afraid. If you are afraid, you'll be unrelaxed and ride badly. Do whatever it takes so you're relatively fear-free (protective gear, pad your wheel well so you're not worried about dropping it, right place, attitude, ...). And don't be afraid of speed as a beginner. You're probably too slow if you can ride rounds in the parking lot but feel wonky. As soon as you can start riding (usually while holding on to something to start), speed up. Speed stabilizes you. Don't be afraid to ride a bit faster (15-20kph) as a beginner. Ride a bit more dynamic. Do not try slow (like walking speed) maneuvers, those are much harder.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, caravela said:

4 months  and still  not confident 😔. I fell I will also not learn How to ride it fast. My legs just don’t learn 😫

4 months indoors, only practicing a few times.

I have only ridden outdoors about 5 times in the last month. I also ride on the NYC streets, among crowds and aggressive bikers - as I am still learning. That's why I lack confidence. ;) I'm getting there though. You will too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, caravela said:

Unfortunately it is really hard to ride. When I think I know how then me legs don’t hear me:(

i ride ok for a while when suddenly I panic and stop or crash. I thought it would be much easier😩

Do you listen to music while riding? I find that listening to music distracts me from overthinking and I ride better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caravela said:

I thought it would be much easier😩

I can assure you that you are not alone. On the other hand, the learning process is very rewarding.

If you haven't checked it out yet, this is the how-to-learn-to-ride thread:

Firstly congrats on your new wheel - it's great fun once you can ride it :)

3 days isn't long to learn something new so just stick at it and you'll soon get the hang of it.

At nearly 60yrs old I'm probably one of the oldest riders here but I managed to learn to ride my first wheel recently. I bought a V5F about 10 weeks ago and like you I struggled a bit at first - after maybe about 5 days I found I could stay on and felt reasonably relaxed but couldn't steer very well. After about 2 weeks I met up with another couple of riders here and could just about manage a couple of miles at a time and steer so long as it wasn't very tight turns.

Now 10 weeks in I can confidently ride forwards and turn very tight turns, I can also get on and off without the need to hold onto anything - so believe me it is something you'll get the hang of shortly.

Have you tried practising on grass? I know it's not every ones way of learning but in my case it allowed me to gain a bit of confidence during the falling off stage. Once I couls ride for a few hundred yards on grass I moved onto tarmac etc.

Stick at it - its worth it :)

It took me 6ish weeks before I was able and comfortable to go outside on my wheel. 

My first few tries were outside and it didn't work out at all. I did about a week of research and found a tip that you can use a chainlink fence to ride along. So happens the subbasement of my building is storage lockers with one long isle (3/4 a city block)  and turns and short isles everywhere. I went down there for 30 minutes a day for 3 weeks then I went to the park near me and rode 1.5 miles stopping 6 times. Next day only stopped 4 times. Five months later i’m riding all over Seattle like its no thing. 

Long way to say hang in there friend, you will get it. Then you will wonder what you ever did without your wheel. I commute and leisurely ride almost daily. Hell I make up excuses to run errands haha. :) 

• Upvote 1

It took me weeks practicing almost everyday. It was frustrating and I thought there something wrong with my wheel. It really doesn’t matter how many videos you have watched. As others have stated, just keep practicing and it will eventually click.  I’ve been riding (mainly for fun) it almost evryday.  It’s addictive.  Make sure to wear your safety gears. Good luck and have fun.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, caravela said:

Some people can learn in 4 hours; not me! I practiced 30 minutes per day for a month before I could venture outside of my apartment complex!

Thanks everyone for Your support! Thanks to You I know that i'm not the only one who have problem to ride comfortable at beginning. I did watch all tutorials one YouTube but still it's not as easy as it' been shown.

I am going to ride everyday for at least one hour. Hope it will "click" fast :)

it takes time, I learned onewheel in 15 minutes.  Electric skateboard I did in a few mins also.  The EUC was hardest for me, took me two weeks of riding daily for it to click.  I was ready to give up because it seemed impossible, and it was physically exhausting as well.

All that goes away in time!  It's the best PEV out there once it clicks.  

It took me a week of crashing a new KS16S.  I had it all taped up with pads and everything and I still managed to scratch the crap out of it. I was 100% sure I would never figure it out and then  suddenly one afternoon bingo! I was going 100 feet at a time. Then 200 feet. And so on.  Then I learned how to turn and I mean barely at first. Now I can get around pretty good and go for miles.  I still can’t go backwards or ride on 1 foot but I’m going to learn how to do that also.  I know this will sound cliché but it’s just like learning to ride a bike. Once you learn you’ll never forget and you’ll have it forever after that.  Keep trying and don’t give up. You can always get another EUC if you destroy the one you are learning on now. You can also just get it fixed. So don’t worry about the wheel and keep practicing. 

I have been riding for 2 months now and have progressed from a v5f to an MSX  if I look back now I think that the best advice I could have given myself would be to start on well cut grass and try not to go to slow . Going slow makes balance a lot harder.  Just like a bicycle. 

18 hours ago, caravela said:

Hello to all of You!

I did bought an Inmotion V10f on Friday (28.06.2019). For past 3 days I did try to learn how to ride. The first day was a complete disaster. I could only barely stay on it. The next day was not much better. Yesterday and today I was trying it for an hour (each day). I did manage to ride it for few rounds across small parking but still I don't feel it. My legs are shacking quiet often. Im stress while riding. 

Do You think it will pass away and I ill be able to ride it like most of You? 

If you keep on practicing you will manage it! When I ride around on my EUC a lot of people will ask me - isn't hard to learn? To which I reply: it's like learning how to ride a bicycle. Now, most people don't remember what that was like to learn how to ride a bicycle. I can't say that I do either, but I have kids and so I have gone through the process as a teacher two times. Shocker: They didn't just pick it up, but had to practice a lot, and the normal required skills you'd expect from a bicycle rider only came after they not only learned how to ride but picked up some experience on the road.

Now, some people might pick up this really fast depending on previous experiences (skateboards, etc.), while others might not. In short, if you're determined to learn it you will. Don't expect to do advanced tricks like a super pro (at least not at first), but you're OK - keep at it and it will give.

29 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

One tip is that it's not just the amount of time spent but rather discreet instances of time spent. So practicing 3 separate times for only 20 minutes each time is way more productive than one solid hour. Hence I would say try practicing multiple times a day for just ~20-25 mins each time instead of hours all at once.

This was my experience, and that of my wife and two kids. I pushed myself for hours on my first days, but learned no quicker than the others working in 15-minute intervals spread over time.

Another comment I'll add here is that progression tends to come in spurts that depend on the wheel and might be quite spread apart in time and mileage. I learned on a tiny Mten3, and took days to be able to stay up and turn, and weeks before things clicked and I felt fluid. When I got my huge-by-comparison V10F it was like starting all over again: days of terror before I could make turns confidently, and weeks stretching into months before I truly bonded with it. My MCM 5 was an even odder case. Being in the middle, size-wise, I had no difficulty maneuvering right out of the gate, but it seemed to demand a kind of grandmotherly handling I wasn't too fond of, and I didn't ride it very often. It was nearly a year and some 500 miles before it suddenly felt like the sporty carver it was supposed to be, and now I can't get enough of it.

In fact, thinking back, I would say 300-500 miles was about what it took to really bond with each of my wheels, where this was a mix of straight-line cruising and twisty maneuvering. This is something I try to keep in mind when people share their impressions of a wheel they've only had for an hour, or a day, or a week -- especially if it's of a type outside their usual experience.

So be patient and enjoy the progression. It's a slower-burning thrill than it first appears.

• Like 2