Gadget displaying speed

Ch.Eng.62

17 minutes ago, Ch.Eng.62 said:

By the way, I wonder which is better for displaying the speed 

1.) Wheel -> WheelLog on the cellphone -> WheelLog on the watch (Gear or Pebble), or

2.) AMAZFIT BIP 

The first choice relays on the Bluetooth connection, which is not reliable, but I can see battery charge. 

The second option is simple, the speed is from GPS, but can't give battery charge. 

To me, the battery and temp levels are more important than anything else. The wheel will chirp when I'm pushing the speed limits but the battery level tells me when I'm at bingo.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ch.Eng.62 said:

By the way, I wonder which is better for displaying the speed 

1.) Wheel -> WheelLog on the cellphone -> WheelLog on the watch (Gear or Pebble), or

2.) AMAZFIT BIP 

The first choice relays on the Bluetooth connection, which is not reliable, but I can see battery charge. 

The second option is simple, the speed is from GPS, but can't give battery charge. 

I just started using the wheellog app for my Gear S3 running Tizen. Works great and is accurate. The Gear S3 also has a GPS speedometer that I have also used before but the wheellog app is great. 

5 minutes ago, Blank said:

I just started using the wheellog app for my Gear S3 running Tizen. Works great and is accurate. The Gear S3 also has a GPS speedometer that I have also used before but the wheellog app is great. 

Thanks. I will look at it. 

Thread hijack, but staying within thread topic!

I don't have an Apple Watch (never saw the point until now), but I'm committed to the iOS ecosystem and am considering getting an Apple Watch just for the DarknessBot integration features, plus being able to get GPS speed and turn by turn, etc. I have some questions for anyone who has an Apple Watch and uses it with their wheel:

• How do you mount/strap it while accounting for wrist guards?  Unlike other solutions I've seen, I wouldn't be comfortable modifying such an expensive device to Velcro it or otherwise attach it to the outside of the wrist guard.  On the first page of this thread I saw a different type of watch worn under the wrist guard and sort of sticking out sideways (no modification), which is intriguing, but I don't know if that will work with the Flexmeters.
  • Is the DarknessBot integration reliable, or would I be looking at constant dropped connection issues and other annoyances?
  • Don't have an Apple Watch, so how easy is it to switch between apps on the watch, for example between the DarknessBot app and a GPS app?

Thanks!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lefteris said:

latest WheelLog custom apk works with Z10, not all features but basic features do work!

Yep, does work with Z series but I just wanted to point out that the latest APK doesn't work with Gear watch (well I couldn't get it to work, but it could be a problem my end).

8 hours ago, Blank said:

I just downloaded it this morning. It's still on the Galaxy Store for me. Had to switch wheellog versions to use it. But it works great.

Ah excellent! I couldn't find it, maybe because it's already on the watch. I was worried that the app had been stopped/removed.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 8:20 AM, Planemo said:

Yep, does work with Z series but I just wanted to point out that the latest APK doesn't work with Gear watch (well I couldn't get it to work, but it could be a problem my end).

[...]

You need to check the WheelLog thread for yestedays post by Sebas he mentions that it's needed to use previous SDK cause some functions break in latest SDK. So download that and you'll be ok.

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2019 at 12:05 AM, svenomous said:

I don't have an Apple Watch (never saw the point until now), but I'm committed to the iOS ecosystem and am considering getting an Apple Watch just for the DarknessBot integration features, plus being able to get GPS speed and turn by turn, etc. I have some questions for anyone who has an Apple Watch and uses it with their wheel:

• Is the DarknessBot integration reliable, or would I be looking at constant dropped connection issues and other annoyances?

I'm in exactly the same boat, only now interested in smartwatches for this purpose and nothing else. I'd consider one of the cheaper devices but I am also currently an iPhone user which limits to apple watch + Darknessbot.

Unfortunately I (and many others) have been experiencing compatibility problems between Darknessbot and the InMotion V10F where it keeps losing connection. I don't have this problem with my V8 or my buddy's KS16S, but it just doesn't seem to stay connected with the V10F (whereas the official app stays connected no problem). Ultimately you should share what wheel you ride and try to find someone with the exact setup you're thinking of getting to verify the particular combination works.

Conversely, I'd love to hear a way to fix Darkenssbot with the V10F and/or access to the developer to help remedy the problem.

5 hours ago, AtlasP said:

Conversely, I'd love to hear a way to fix Darkenssbot with the V10F and/or access to the developer to help remedy the problem.

It could be related to the phone going to sleep. Although having the display open in the pocket is of course not a good solution.

The developer posts on this thread:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/6578-darknessbot-ios-app/

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Does the Gear work on top of a wrist guard? Do you still need an Android phone running the app? What's battery life like?

Thanks!

The leather strap on my S2 Classic has quick release pins so it takes seconds to remove it and put it onto my wrist guard with velcro. The 'fluffy' side of velcro is on the watch permanently and doesnt get in the way when wearing normally on the wrist. That said it might if using the heartrate sensor (which I dont) as the sensor needs to be right next to the skin.

Yes you still need Android running Wheel Log. It just means the phone can stay in your pocket/backpack.

Battery life on the watch? The Gear needs charging every day anyway whether its running wheel log or not.

It works well, but I am looking to get a Pebble just so I can use it purely as my 'wheel watch' as I use my Gear for work and it would be easier to have a watch just for the wheel only. Also a Pebble gets 3 to 4 days battery life which means I wont have to keep my eye on charge levels as much.

Back in the day I used a very simple approach: bike speedometer (wired). Glue the magnet on the tire rim, glue or tape the "receiver" (a magnetic reed-switch) on the shell, tape the wire to the shell and attach the speedometer to the handle. GPS is "good enough" for general speed gauging and odometer, but nowhere near as accurate as correctly adjusted (the tire circumference) "old-world" meter. The GPS can (at times) locate you within something like 1 meter (3 feet), but it only updates a certain amount of times per second, and the errors add up. Not a problem with a car driving in straight line at steady speed, but if you're swerving or accelerating/braking a lot, it's not going to be very precise. With a properly "calibrated" (again, the tire circumference, accounting for how much the tire "pushes in" with your weight) you can notice a slight drop in tire pressure, as the wheel circumference has dropped. The most accurate method would be to have multiple magnets over the tire at equivalent distances, so you get multiple "ticks" per revolution over the time, but the meter should support this then (I don't know if such speedometers exist).

Edited by esaj
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, esaj said:

The GPS can (at times) locate you within something like 1 meter (3 feet), but it only updates a certain amount of times per second, and the errors add up.

We use GPS tracking all the time in our race cars, and while you are theoretically right, in practice it works very well. Also there is no concept of "errors adding up" when using it to measure speed. We have 10Hz refresh rate

The problem with your speedometer is that it sits on the EUC which is very inconvenient to look at (who wants to look down at 45 km/h :D ), and wireless systems don't work because of RF interference of the euc motor. 

Anyway, on to something more constructive in this reply. I just tested this:

IMG_6943.thumb.JPG.4472ff58ab6daaa15add1d1451219f94.JPG

Stuck it on there with 3M dual lock.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I like to have battery percentage on my wrist because my wheel only has 5 leds which are approx 20% apart. So for example, with 2 indicators lit I could have between 40% and 59% left. That unknown could make a big difference to me. Some wheels may have 10 leds at 10% apart which would be better.

Wheel log does it all for me, showing speed (accurately), battery percentage and distance on the watch. Yes the downside is I do need to have my phone with me but it generally is anyway.

I agree with you except for on one point. Wheellog requires an Android. I am an iPhone user, and even if I do have plenty of phones around if I would have to take an Android with me just for this, forget about it. I'll probably never do it. Don't want to carry extra stuff on me.

Totally makes sense if an iphone user and like you, I hate clutter but one thing I always have on me is my phone so its a no brainer for me. Probably because I am paranoid about my daughter or I having a nasty fall whilst riding and not being able to make contact quickly.

I've been using the Garmin Forerunner 35 for my rides.  It tracks speed, distance, and average speed.   For the battery, I just look at the LEDs on the wheel when I'm stopped.  Pretty inexpensive, and totally standalone so you don't even need a phone for it.

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
On 4/29/2019 at 11:49 AM, Planemo said:

You might be able to pick up a Samsung Gear for cheap nowadays. My solution is an S2 with sticky backed velcro. The straps release in a second and the velcro (the soft side) stays on the watch when I am using the strap. Dont even notice it when wearing and doesnt bulk it out from my wrist. Affixs more than well enough on the wrist guard. I run it with wheel log on an S9 but you could use any old android phone.IMG_20190429_114520_192.thumb.jpg.cebbc82f714049a080be7db34bef951a.jpg

It seems you've found your watch at last :)

I were following your previous topic ...

It's good looking, well attached and it's doing its job :)

Guest PogArt Artur
On 4/29/2019 at 12:43 PM, Lefteris said:

i'm gonna use it with my Z10 (the wheel is coming this week)

Woooow !!!

Have you been waiting for long to get the Z next week?

Congratulation :):):)

On 6/28/2019 at 6:17 PM, esaj said:

Back in the day I used a very simple approach: bike speedometer (wired). Glue the magnet on the tire rim, glue or tape the "receiver" (a magnetic reed-switch) on the shell, tape the wire to the shell and attach the speedometer to the handle. 

I always admired your rudimentary but reliable mods. My all time favorite was your protective foam Dali masterpiece.;)

• Upvote 1