Gadget displaying speed

Ch.Eng.62

Hi, I am looking for any CHEAP (under 100€) gadget, something like smart band, watch or handheld GPS, displaying GPS speed from integrated GPS sensor or from the cellphone. 

There is a a lot of wearables displaying blood pressure, heart rate and bla bla, subjects I don't want to share with Facebook, for example. And I don't want to spend several thousand € for electronic toy with limited life cycle. 

Any suggestions? 

Edited by Ch.Eng.62
  • Like 2

How about the cheapest and smallest smartphone you can find, in an armband? Run a speedometer app in it, and you should be done well below $100.

Edit: And keep you actual cell phone in your pocket I mean.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

I was looking for such a thing. But everything I found is above 5.5" and well above 100€ (for new one). Now a days nobody is making device under 5.5". 

Probably I will use my daughter's old Sony Z3 compact.

Edited by Ch.Eng.62
  • Like 1

I've followed Luk Luk on YouTube, don't remember his handle on the forums (sorry), and i've bought a Pebble Time for about $35, 3 months ago..  after i saw THIS video

g9bAEtr.png

i'm gonna use it with my Z10 (the wheel is coming this week), as a speed-o-meter, and other information like temp etc.

The famous WheelLog app has a watchface for Pebble (with rebble servers).

I know it's a discontinued watch but still lasts for 4 days, provides basic notification functions, i loooove the buttons and with a bit of tampering with IFTTT and http/json calls you can manage to send voice commands to google assistant and control home appliances connected to home assistant io on a raspberry.

For ±$35 it's one hell of a deal!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

I think an Apple watch will be beyond the 100 euro that the OP said he wished to spend.

Thanks for pointing that out :rolleyes:

I was just providing input on what I use and works well for me. Others will also read this post and will benefit from others input. 

I also just checked ebay and found quite a few older apple watches (which would work) for around 100 euros. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, prasket said:

just checked ebay and found quite a few older apple watches (which would work) for around 100 euros

Good, but I have to buy an iPhone too ;-)

17 hours ago, Planemo said:

You might be able to pick up a Samsung Gear for cheap nowadays. My solution is an S2 with sticky backed velcro. The straps release in a second and the velcro (the soft side) stays on the watch when I am using the strap. Dont even notice it when wearing and doesnt bulk it out from my wrist. Affixs more than well enough on the wrist guard. I run it with wheel log on an S9 but you could use any old android phone.IMG_20190429_114520_192.thumb.jpg.cebbc82f714049a080be7db34bef951a.jpg

I actually have a Samsung Gear S3, what app are you using to display speeds?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Planemo said:

I downloaded Wheel Log onto my phone from the Play store, and the companion app onto the watch from the Galaxy wearable store :)

Wow I didnt even realize this existed. This is a amazing find. Thank you!

For info to those with or looking to use the Samsung wearables, I couldnt get the latest version of wheel log to work with the watch and had to reinstall the (older) Play version. A shame because having everything in 1 app (ie live maps) would be really nice. Not knocking the developers, they have done a great job, plus of course there isnt many Gear S users anyway I dont think.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info. I use WheelLog for Mten3, but never tried for Z10. 

For Z10 I use Ninebot / Segway app. If combination WheelLog / Samsung gear is working for Z10, probably I will get it.

Odd...better hold fire on the Gear front...I just tried looking in the wearable store and cant find Wheel Log in there now..?

Maybe it was pulled? I definately must have downloaded it to the watch from the store...I have no idea how to 'side load' or any other fancy schmickery to the watch so it cant have got on it from anywhere else :confused1:

39 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Odd...better hold fire on the Gear front...I just tried looking in the wearable store and cant find Wheel Log in there now..?

Maybe it was pulled? I definately must have downloaded it to the watch from the store...I have no idea how to 'side load' or any other fancy schmickery to the watch so it cant have got on it from anywhere else :confused1:

I just downloaded it this morning. It's still on the Galaxy Store for me. Had to switch wheellog versions to use it. But it works great.

I just got a Pebble Time on Amazon for $50 and it fits perfectly (and is well protected) inside of my wrist guard -- didn't have to modify a thing.

The only problem that I've had is that, if Wheellog looses connection with the wheel, then the speed displayed on the watch is stuck at whatever it's last speed reading was. But that's Wheellog's bug, not the watch's.

Pebble Wheellog.jpg

• Like 1

By the way, I wonder which is better for displaying the speed 

1.) Wheel -> WheelLog on the cellphone -> WheelLog on the watch (Gear or Pebble), or

2.) AMAZFIT BIP 

The first choice relays on the Bluetooth connection, which is not reliable, but I can see battery charge. 

The second option is simple, the speed is from GPS, but can't give battery charge. 

• Like 1