Speed Reduction Graph, Rider Info Needed

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

For Gotways, it's quite simple, all of their Wheels have the same firmware setting that starts to reduce the max speed, whether or not the tilt-back is enabled/disabled, at 30%

Really?

I can only speak for my 1300Wh 84V ACM's (assembled April '17) behavior, but there it seems to be only voltage related.

The wheel starts battery beeping whenever the battery falls under 15% (so under a certain voltage). Which is about 30% under no load (wheel standing still and nothing on it - which becomes 15% under load with my 80kg weight). I get one slow beep at 15%, two slow beeps at 10%, 3 at 5%. Only at/towards 0% you get heavy tiltback.

I never noticed any speed reduction or speed related-alarms/tiltback with low battery. But of course I'd never have those if I slow down due to low battery beeps in the first place, so theoretically they might exist separately.

But effectively, as far as I know, at 30% no-load battery the Gotway wheel is at 15% under load and starts battery beeping and will force tiltback if you ignore the beeps and don't slow down/climb a hill/whatever and get to 0% battery voltage.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

Technically the Gotway chart looks like this quality picture. And the constant top speed is only true if the 80% alarm doesn't cause reductions on its own (which, according to Marty, it does). Otherwise, it's a step chart where's some steps/ speed reductions at certain percentages.

But if the point is to convince Inmotion to improve their throttling behavior, focusing on Kingsong and not taking Gotway as an example might be better:efee8319ab:

How does the Ninebot One Z do it? You're no longer selling it, but it can still be a point of comparison from a probably rather safety-conscious brand.

gwchart.jpg

35 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

All of my Gotway wheels only initiate beeping when the battery dips below 15% (load or no load, just 15%).

You're right, 15% is 15%. It's just that it corresponds to about 30% no-load charge and Jason mentioned a supposed speed reduction at 30% and I figured maybe it's the same thing. Or maybe the 80% alarm lowers at 30%?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Update: Gotway/@Linnea Lin Gotway very kindly provided this overview of their programmed speed alerting characteristics. As @Marty Backe indicated, this 100-10% is not tilt-back, as with other manufacturers, but the level 3 audio alarms. It's interesting how Gotway permits the Rider to really push the Wheels to 80% of their max speed all the way down to where other manufacturers are limiting the cruising speed down to a snail's walking pace.  

uc?export=view&id=1TeH2_K5wyLICgbV55Z8GF

uc?export=view&id=1oy6KFKND9fT44lAAlxeNN

With these 84v packs, with 6 parallels working in parallel, do you think there's an inherent (too great?) an unncessary safety margin which manufacturers such KS have not taken into adequate consideration when programming their larger capacity controllers degradation reductions? With the Gotways, we're not witnessing queues to A&E wards as a result of the Wheels cutting out under low battery. 

It’s interesting to see that the 100v MSX can go 4kmh faster than the 100v Monster, I always thought that the Monster went a bit faster. Of course, there’s very limited testing data (read: brave riders) to get actual top speed info from, so who knows how realistic these numbers are under real riding conditions. And, I reach the 80% beeps on the 84v MSX and Monster at the exact same speed of 51-52kmh on both wheels, despite a difference being claimed for those two wheels as well. So I’m sure the actual speed difference in the 100v wheels is smaller than what’s claimed (at least it would be for me). 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Update: Gotway/@Linnea Lin Gotway very kindly provided this overview of their programmed speed alerting characteristics. As @Marty Backe indicated, this 100-10% is not tilt-back, as with other manufacturers, but the level 3 audio alarms. It's interesting how Gotway permits the Rider to really push the Wheels to 80% of their max speed all the way down to where other manufacturers are limiting the cruising speed down to a snail's walking pace.  

uc?export=view&id=1TeH2_K5wyLICgbV55Z8GF

uc?export=view&id=1oy6KFKND9fT44lAAlxeNN

With these 84v packs, with 6 parallels working in parallel, do you think there's an inherent (too great?) an unncessary safety margin which manufacturers such KS have not taken into adequate consideration when programming their larger capacity controllers degradation reductions? With the Gotways, we're not witnessing queues to A&E wards as a result of the Wheels cutting out under low battery. 

Very cool to see actual data direct from Gotway :cheers:

And yes, their wheel behavior is why many of us Love Gotway wheels :wub:   They allow us to fully enjoy our wheels down to 15% battery. As long as you recognize the 80-percent alarm, the wheel is not going to cut out on you.

• Like 3

So the 80% alarm is just another fixed speed alarm in the end, albeit with speed dependent on battery voltage? That's disappointing. It doesn't take rider weight and other conditions into account and isn't an actual power draw alarm:(

3 hours ago, Chriull said:

Does the MSX84 allow discharge down to 3V or 3,3V per cell? I took 3,3V for now...

It's 3.3 - see here: click.

36 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

I wasn't aware of this either, it just comes to show that what goes on in Engineering doesn't get disseminated to whatever marketing dept there is. 
Bear in mind that these figures are simply the 3rd level alarm, it's most certainly not a safe ride speed; there's been reported instances of Riders accelerating hard, still under the limit, with the Wheel cutting out from under them. Couldn't help myself, plotted the data into a graph.

uc?export=view&id=1n6TA1ahKNQsh1ZzWIXWpQ

Tesla is wrong, should the speed on the right be 40kph?

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

Bear in mind that these figures are simply the 3rd level alarm, it's most certainly not a safe ride speedthere's been reported instances of Riders accelerating hard, still under the limit, with the Wheel cutting out from under them.

That's the intrinsic of any fixed (or also just battery level dependend) limit/alarm - one can "outaccelerate" it. Overlean without warning is possible with every wheel - presumably needs some "overcoming" with the new powerful ones.

• 1 month later...

This is really good info for those of us like me who really want to understand the correlation between battery voltage and wheel behaviour (tilt-back/alarms etc). As a newbie I have been really careful in bringing my speed up gradually and as a result haven't been running anywhere near the wheels capabilities yet, but as my speed is increasing with confidence I would really like to know what my wheels might do in relation to voltage.

The only thing missing is that theres no V5F or ninebot Z data! I appreciate that the wheels listed above are the most popular but if anyone has info it would be greatly received!

What I really want is a version of these charts with the "battery level [in %]" axis replaced by "distance ridden". (Edit: or at the very least as suggested by meep, scaling the chart lines by battery size.)

The problem comparing them at battery % is that they have different sized batteries. (For example, as it stands such a chart makes it look like the KS14D can go way longer/further at its max speed than the V10F which is bollocks, since the V10F has over twice the battery.) Comparing them at percentages may make sense when comparing the math of their algorithms, but it makes zero sense comparing the different wheels as products since battery percentage is an abstraction that does not directly correlate between wheels in usage.

What we really want to know is how top speed reduces per how far you go. This would also have the advantage that anyone could quickly gauge how wheels compare in range before tiltback at their personal normal cruising speed.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

What I really want is a version of these charts with the "battery level [in %]" axis replace by "distance ridden

As @meepmeepmayer wrote that's a nice and important figure too. @Jason McNeil has some figures like this, too afair. But they are very dependend on riding style, inclines, speed, temperature and weight. One can use the ~12-20+ Wh/km formula to get some feeling of a possible range.

The only outlier should be the ks18(X)L which uses the battery cells down to 3V instead of just 3.3V as all/most of the other wheels. 

But this is a different topic - and has (about) nothing to do with the here shown speed reduction vs battery charhe graphs, which are of their own interest.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@meepmeepmayer Thank you for the amazing post. It clears up a lot on the Kingsong vs MSX range question.
It also gives us better understand on the safety precautions Gotway and Kingsong have put into place.

My riding weight is around 66kg and I get 1km per % battery on my MSX 1600Wh. I ride between 25 and 35 km/h. I have been wary of riding it down to very low numbers which I see now is unnecessary as the low numbers are real numbers. And I don't have to worry about riding it down to 0 because at zero i'm still at 3.3V and not doing a deep depletion of the battery. So I quite possibly have 100km range on the MSX. 

I did some calculations and could see that ~12-20 Wh/km has been rather realistic for my riding depending on cold and more towards 14 Wh/km now that it's warmer and as long as I am not constantly pushing to 40km/h.

An interactive calculator with sliders / values and graphs would sure be something to see!

Adjustable slider for weight, speed, ambient temperature, etc. Of course we would need to show the calculations being done and what numbers we are using to "guess".

100% battery to 20% battery on my MSX.
Riding speed 25 km/h.
Riding weight 68kg.
Ambient temperature 5C
Distance achieved 70km
Wh/km 18.2

100% battery to 20% battery on my MSX.
Riding speed 25 km/h.
Riding weight 66kg.
Ambient temperature 15C
Distance achieved 90km
Wh/km 14.2

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, US69 said:

What i just wanted to add that all These curves and assumtions we see here are for the actual battery Status.

We've already arrived at that conclusion, otherwise everything is chaos. Battery percentage is whatever the wheel shows at every moment, the end. So real life behavior can be more confusing.

4 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Do we know what the battery config is for the Nikola 100v 1845WH or Monster 100v 1845 for that matter?
This makes the 100v 1230 configs a bit self limiting by their own nature.

6x24 cells with 3450mAh. Yes the 1230Wh is 4p, not 6p. Not sure whether it's really such a limit though.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2