KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

KingSong 16X (KS16X)

IMG_5594-1.jpg

Scroll down for Range Tests results.

Specifications: (on mobile, view horizontally or in Desktop Mode). 

Battery 84V 1554wh (Smart BMS with balance, over-charge, over-current and short-circuit protection)
Rated Power 2200w
Max Power 4200w
Top Speed 50km/h  (Top speed unlocked after riding 200km)
Travelling Range Around 100 – 120Km (See real range tests below)
Diameter 440mm
Climbing Angle Around 35 Degrees
Footrest Height 180mm
Available Color Black (See Pictures)
Overall Dimension 590(H) x 495(L) x 180mm(W)
Tyre Size 16×3
Weight Around 24,3Kg
Ports Charging ports x2, USB ports x2
Lift Stop Rotation Switch Improved dual mechanical switch
Tilt Protection 45 Degrees to both sides (It auto reset when the machine is placed back  onto the vertical position)
Speed Limit Protection Voice alarm or beep alarm combined with tilt back
Low Battery Protection When battery reaches 30% of capacity speed will decrease linearly;  5% Battery left triggers voice alarms; 0% Battery left, full stop and unable to ride.
Standard Accessories 1.5A Charger and user manual.

Real Range Tests:

@chrisjunlee 140lb/60kg rider did 60mi/96km in one go, 15% battery left. 21.6mph/35kmh average speed. He also has a diary where he shares all the data and thoughts about his 16X:

@Daniel-Son 215lb/97kg, high speed riding 25-28mph for 41mi/66km before forced speed reduction. Range result: ~50miles/80km. 

If you already have a 16X, please do a range test and share it (PM me to let me know, so I can put it here). 

Please ideally provide:

Load (rider + gear/backpack), Temperature, road conditions, amount of hills, riding style (relaxed, aggressive), average speed (GPS recording even better, for example, "GPS Speed" for Android is good). Any other details you see relevant. 

___

Edit: Updating title from "New KingSong 16X Rumours" to "KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)"

___

Original post:

___

There is rumours of a new 16 inch KingSong being released soon, the "16X".

Mainly due to this "Coming Soon" page from an Italian dealer (which may be an error, or a marketing strategy? Who knows...)

https://www.monoruotaitalia.com/?page_id=664

Flying Rat commented about the 16X being a secret on his video.

Also, KingSong have confirmed that the KS-18XL will be the last 18inch for the next few years (nobody mentioned 19, 22 or other size). Screenshot courtesy of Neon (UK rider).

Looking forward to your comments and research! Happy Holidays ;)

IMG-20181229-WA0010.jpg

Screenshot_2018-12-30-00-05-29-869_com.google.android.youtube.png

Edited by Jean Dublin
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

yes, very excited about the new 16" wheel.  Should have been released if not for the 18L freezing issues.  hope they are listening to their riders.  if this wheel isn't at least 45kmph, it will be a total failure.  why?  because inmotion already has a 16" wheel that is 40kmph.  They are going to release another wheel that is the same exact specs as the inmotion why would anyone buy it?  why wouldn't i just buy the cheaper 16S.  It needs to be special.  At least a 2.5" wide tire.  It has tough competition since GW is already teasing it's new 16" wheel.  Though in typical gotway fashion they call it a 17" wheel even though you can clearly see the tire is 16x3.  Just like their MSX, it isn't a 19", it is 18x3.  It's not 1600wh, it is 1554wh.  GW needs to be kept honest.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

It's not 1600wh, it is 1554wh.  GW needs to be kept honest.

I'm fairly certain Kingsong does the same thing. I tore apart my 16S and I don't remember the exact numbers but it didn't quite reach 840 Watt-hours, I think it may have been closer to 800 watt-hours based off what was labeled on the battery. 

3 hours ago, gr8ps said:

I'm fairly certain Kingsong does the same thing. I tore apart my 16S and I don't remember the exact numbers but it didn't quite reach 840 Watt-hours, I think it may have been closer to 800 watt-hours based off what was labeled on the battery. 

You are right, battery is labeled 806.4wh not 840wh.  Seems like they were using 3.6v vs 3.7v.  But even at 3.7v, it only comes out to 828.8wh.  In order to get 840wh, we would have to use 3.75v.  

So if GW is using 3.75v then their pack should be 1575wh.  They need to use 3.8v to get 1600wh.  Think the standard is either 3.6 or 3.7v. 

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The tire diameter of these 3'' wide tires is 17'' or 19'' if you actually measure. They're bigger. So that's the one thing they don't lie about.

If the new KS16X gets a 3'' tire, it will be 17 inch too. But I don't believe they'll go over 2.5 like the V10.

Question is in which other industry do they say the wheel is bigger because the tire is bigger?  

No one else advertises their wheel like that.  The V10F is a 17” wheel if you measure the outside diameter too.  

Mid you look at the monster wheel, the tire is really a 17” motorcycle tire.  

Though the Z10 has a 18” x 4.125” tire, it is only wide, not tall.  So it’s outside dimensions are not bigger than a standard 18” tire.  

The taller tires perform worse in my opinion.  If the motors are all the same size which for now they are.   all it is achieving is pushing the turning axis further away from the treads while giving you more tread, more contact. Try turning a wheel of your bike towards the center of the wheel vs from the tire, it takes much more force to turn it at the same rate towards the center than if you were to try to turn the wheel using the tires.  Just physics.  The magnets or air gap is at the edge of the motor. 

On 12/31/2018 at 2:30 PM, eddiemoy said:

Question is in which other industry do they say the wheel is bigger because the tire is bigger?  

No one else advertises their wheel like that.  The V10F is a 17” wheel if you measure the outside diameter too.  

Mid you look at the monster wheel, the tire is really a 17” motorcycle tire.  

Though the Z10 has a 18” x 4.125” tire, it is only wide, not tall.  So it’s outside dimensions are not bigger than a standard 18” tire.  

The taller tires perform worse in my opinion.  If the motors are all the same size which for now they are.   all it is achieving is pushing the turning axis further away from the treads while giving you more tread, more contact. Try turning a wheel of your bike towards the center of the wheel vs from the tire, it takes much more force to turn it at the same rate towards the center than if you were to try to turn the wheel using the tires.  Just physics.  The magnets or air gap is at the edge of the motor. 

Actually @meepmeepmayer is correct.  For some reason bicycle tires are defined by their outer diameter when inflated and not by the size of the rim they fit on.  Why? I don't know.  As an example, my KS14 has a 10" rim.  A 16" wheel will have a rim equally smaller, say 12".  So When Gotway say a wheel is a 17" they aren't lying, because the 3" tire is not only fatter by about an inch, its also wider by about an inch.  So when I modded my KS16s with a 2.5" tire I technically made it a KS16.5S :)

I guess its up to the manufacturer if they decided to emphasize the actual rolling diameter vs the number printed on the side of the tire.

Incidently, I've noticed that  printed in metric on the side of somebicycle tires, maybe all, is the actual rim size and recommended rim diameter.  

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 2

Makes sense, though. For bikes and EUCs, outer diameter determines the ride feeling. So outer tire size matters. For a car or motorccle, they probably just want to know which machine to use to get a tire on the rim. So rim size.

Or it's just chance it is how it is;)

Quick 16X poll to stay on topic despite the lack of facts to discuss:

KingSong's next 16 incher will have:

• 3 inch wide tire
  • 2.5 inch
  • 2.125 as now

What do you predict?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Makes sense, though. For bikes and EUCs, outer diameter determines the ride feeling. So outer tire size matters. For a car or motorccle, they probably just want to know which machine to use to get a tire on the rim. So rim size.

Or it's just chance it is how it is;)

Quick 16X poll to stay on topic despite the lack of facts to discuss:

KingSong's next 16 incher will have:

• 3 inch wide tire
  • 2.5 inch
  • 2.125 as now

What do you predict?

3” unless it changes the way the wheel rides.  By this I mean if the result is the wheel that behaves like the MSX or to an extreme the Z10, then I would want them to keep the 2.5”.  I felt a little of it but rarely in the V10F.  The resistance to turn.  Seems to happen at different speeds depending on the tire size.  

I think they will go with 2.5”.  I don’t think the advantages of going 3” outweigh the hesitation you will experience due to the bigger diameter.  Airgap further away from the rim in 3” vs 2.5”. 

18 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Why not buy an MCM5? It's a work of beauty:wub: I don't think KS's next 14 incher will be able to compete on stats, whenever it comes out.

I really am not partial to the looks of the mcm5.  And while I haven't stood on it and a lot here say it's no issue, that protruding gotway logo besides being ugly looks like it would be uncomfortable on my leg/ankle/foot area or if the logo didn't hit it the ridge in the shell behind the logo (where it dips to be recessed) looks like it would bite it.

Besides that though, the ks16s seems much better designed when it comes to ease of maintenance like changing a tire.  I'm assuming the 16x would be similarly designed if not even better as would any new 14 inch wheel.  The mcm5 though on the other hand looks like a nightmare to have to do any maintenance on or fix anything on.  All that effort you have to go through to change a tire on the mcm5 (according to the videos anyways) seems like poor design.

On top of that historically KS has a better track record on safety and reliability.  I like my mcm4 but I feel like I would like to try out a KS offering and don't want to buy a new wheel until their new ones are out.

Edited by Heyzeus

2 minutes ago, Heyzeus said:

I really am not partial to the looks of the mcm5.  And while I haven't stood on it and a lot here say it's no issue, that protruding gotway logo besides being ugly looks like it would be uncomfortable on my leg/ankle/foot area or if the logo didn't hit it the ridge in the shell behind the logo (where it dips to be recessed) looks like it would bite it.

Besides that though, the ks16s seems much better designed when it comes to ease of maintenance like changing a tire.  I'm assuming the 16x would be similarly if not ever better as would any new 14 inch wheel.  The mcm5 though on the other hand looks like a nightmare to have to do any maintenance on or fix anything on.  all that effort you have to go through to change a tire on the mcm5 (according to the videos anyways) is just poor design.

On top of that historically KS has a better track record on safety and reliability.  I like my mcm4 but I feel like I would like to try out a KS offering and don't want to buy a new wheel until their new ones are out.

I don't know why GW continues to use 1.75" pedal arm and shim system for axle lock.  It is clearly a flawed system and comes loose over time.  The vise like system of KS with the bigger pedal arm, 2.125" wide is much better and stronger system in my opinion.  It doesn't get loose over time and don't need a special tool to tighten.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I don't know why GW continues to use 1.75" pedal arm and shim system for axle lock.  It is clearly a flawed system and comes loose over time.  The vise like system of KS with the bigger pedal arm, 2.125" wide is much better and stronger system in my opinion.  It doesn't get loose over time and don't need a special tool to tighten. 

Are you talking about where the foot plates attach to the wheel and the rods used to attach the footplates that come loose or are you talking about the metal bar thing that attaches to the axel and is the thing the pedals attach to that comes loose 

I'm not too familiar with what parts are what on an EUC other than the basic things.

5 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

the pedal arm has two attachment points, one for the pedal the other to the axle.  the king song pedal arm is this, see the vise like implementation?

here is gotway's with the shim's.  those things get loose over time.  Ninebot uses the same shit.

30629763257_d8d82922c7_b.thumb.jpg.96a6d9f6fbcb4a3d74a70b28c724ff71.jpg

I can't believe you didn't use this picture to illustrate your gearing point (big wheel, little motor)

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I can't believe you didn't use this picture to illustrate your gearing point (big wheel, little motor

I think this is a better illustration.  the gear on the right is you or the motor.  the gear on the left represents when you move the gear to the bigger one.  the bigger the gear the easier it is to pedal.  again, you don't get stronger, you just put in the same effort, but it is amazing what a difference one gear makes.  and one gear is just sometimes less than 1/2" difference.  The further out the force is from the center of the rear wheel cassette, the easier it is to pedal.  But you go slower.  Same in EUC.  smaller motor, not much spoke, turning force is very close to the outside rim.  bigger wheel is very far from the outside rim, turning force sucks but top speed is higher.  considering we are using the same motor across the board. 

KT4531_366533b6-4cd5-46b2-99ca-bf668d3ea041_x1024.jpg.d796b8afca38bb07fcaab4ab7bb36637.jpg

1 hour ago, Heyzeus said:

Besides that though, the ks16s seems much better designed when it comes to ease of maintenance like changing a tire.  I'm assuming the 16x would be similarly designed if not even better as would any new 14 inch wheel.  The mcm5 though on the other hand looks like a nightmare to have to do any maintenance on or fix anything on.  All that effort you have to go through to change a tire on the mcm5 (according to the videos anyways) seems like poor design.

Unless you position your feet with your heal on the pedal and toes completely hanging off the front, the GW Logo cannot touch your ankles. On all my wheels I position my feet so an equal amount of the shoe hangs off the front and back of the pedal. The GW Logo is nowhere near your leg in this foot position.

You know, KingSongs are no joy to work on either. They have very intricate wiring harnesses that require a lot more work when disassembling/reassembling.

I like the quality of the KingSong wheels much better than Gotway, but I prefer working on Gotway wheels.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Probably because they bought 20,000 sets of components and won't consider changing until they've used up all the crappy parts. Customers be damned.

I think the pedal arms are different per model...  i.e. the ones for the Mten3 are different than the ones for the MSX, different than the one in the Tesla/ACM, etc.  The picture of the Mt2n is from your video...

Mten3, short, has cut out, still 1.75" wide because of the spacers needed.

500052918_mtenpedalarm.jpg.a026e50a1f92b37267f4debb94840492.jpg

MSX, has some cut out at the top

300366892_msxpedalarm.jpg.6a1d886668e5d7592ff794620779762c.jpg

Tesla/ACM - this one is bent by the way.  Think maybe a wider arm would prevent the arm from bending?

499585711_teslapedalarm.thumb.jpg.beecca223420237da553bfd76bb035a4.jpg

And the Monster is a lot longer in the picture already posted from before.  

Also notice how the King Song pedal arm isn't only wider at 2.125" but it is not hollow.  It is a solid piece on the long part.

354515243_kingsongsidepedalarm.jpg.df9ac96ebf3726ec1dadbe81ae630713.jpg

Edited by eddiemoy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

You know, KingSongs are no joy to work on either. They have very intricate wiring harnesses that require a lot more work when disassembling/reassembling.

I like the quality of the KingSong wheels much better than Gotway, but I prefer working on Gotway wheels.  

I really wish there was a showroom place for these things where you could try them out or stand on them to get a feel without having to take that leap of faith.

How often is one disassembling/reassembling wiring harnesses and that stuff.  I would think that barring some out of the blue failure with the control board which shouldn't happen, pretty much the only maintenance the wheel needs is changing tires and fixing flats.  So having that be much more easy would make sense to me as I would think that would be the more frequently encountered scenario.  Or is it expected to need to replace control boards every couple years/ x thousand miles.

I suppose I may still end up with an mcm5 depending on what KS drops in the coming months but I'll wait with anticipation.

I wonder if they will do a 16x and xL or just x, is the primary difference between the 18x and 18xL just battery capacity?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Heyzeus said:

I really wish there was a showroom place for these things where you could try them out or stand on them to get a feel without having to take that leap of faith.

How often is one disassembling/reassembling wiring harnesses and that stuff.  I would think that barring some out of the blue failure with the control board which shouldn't happen, pretty much the only maintenance the wheel needs is changing tires and fixing flats.  So having that be much more easy would make sense to me as I would think that would be the more frequently encountered scenario.  Or is it expected to need to replace control boards every couple years/ x thousand miles.

I suppose I may still end up with an mcm5 depending on what KS drops in the coming months but I'll wait with anticipation.

I wonder if they will do a 16x and xL or just x, is the primary difference between the 18x and 18xL just battery capacity?

Oh, my dear Padawon, you have much to learn ;)

From my limited amount of time around the various wheels on the market, I would not expect KingSong to release an MCM5 killer. It's just not in KingSong's DNA to release bleeding edge wheels.

Note that I think the KS14S is a great wheel, but it's far from the MCM5 in terms of raw performance. If KS were to release something approaching the capability of the MCM5, the MCM6 will be available.

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

I think the pedal arms are different per model...  i.e. the ones for the Mten3 are different than the ones for the MSX, different than the one in the Tesla/ACM, etc.  The picture of the Mt2n is from your video...

Mten3, short, has cut out, still 1.75" wide because of the spacers needed.

MSX, has some cut out at the top

Tesla/ACM - this one is bent by the way.  Think maybe a wider arm would prevent the arm from bending?

And the Monster is a lot longer in the picture already posted from before.  

Also notice how the King Song pedal arm isn't only wider at 2.125" but it is not hollow.  It is a solid piece on the long part.

What, have I gotten you defending Gotway :laughbounce2:

You're right about the pedal arms,  but the shims seem mostly the same.

With the Nikola, where they are taking elements from Inmotion and KingSong there's hope yet that they will steal the KingSong design, maybe for the next wheel :)

35 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I would not expect KingSong to release an MCM5 killer. It's just not in KingSong's DNA to release bleeding edge wheels.

Note that I think the KS14S is a great wheel, but it's far from the MCM5 in terms of raw performance. If KS were to release something approaching the capability of the MCM5, the MCM6 will be available.

100% agree, the MCM5 is so good, it questions the need for a 16inch wheel. It is so good that I am even selling my Inmotion V10, to make way for one. 

Edited by ED209
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Oh, my dear Padawon, you have much to learn ;)

Gulp...well at least I have a forum of very knowledgeable people to turn to when I eventually have some problem.

It'll be interesting to see what comes out or is announced in the next 6 months...If nothing I like is in the pipeline then I might just end up with an mcm 5 in the June-August timeframe. 

Do those "speed holes (simpsons)" on the side of the mcm 5 actually server a purpose (ventilation/cooling) or are they purely cosmetic, wouldn't mind seeing an mcm5 shell without them and better waterproofing and solid matte black halves instead of this carbon fiber look.

Edited by Heyzeus
  • Like 2