My MCM5 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

8 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I don't know what amount of time it costs to someone experienced, but if the day comes i'd gladly pay $150 for someone to replace the tire on one of my wheels, professionally, excluding the cost of the tire.

id do it for 30 bucks lol

1 hour ago, maltocs said:

awesome mod. I keep thinking how the perfect wheel would be a MCM5 with 2.5 to 3 inch tires. This mod would definitely be worth the time and effort. Did you try different 14x2.5 tires and found this one to work and others not to work or do you think any 14x2.5 tire would work. I'm asking because  as  I looked at your link, another one popped on on the side "recommended for you" and it was a puncture guarded tire from a different company also 14x2.5. The idea of "anti-puncture" sounds really good to me. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32822398184.html

LOL, this is probably the same tire, as this link is CYT.

The whole "anti-puncture" is just marketing. At best the tire mixture is more resistant to pinch flats than others.

7 hours ago, maltocs said:

awesome mod. I keep thinking how the perfect wheel would be a MCM5 with 2.5 to 3 inch tires. This mod would definitely be worth the time and effort. Did you try different 14x2.5 tires and found this one to work and others not to work or do you think any 14x2.5 tire would work. I'm asking because  as  I looked at your link, another one popped on on the side "recommended for you" and it was a puncture guarded tire from a different company also 14x2.5. The idea of "anti-puncture" sounds really good to me. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32822398184.html

Hi! This was my first try. I think anyone 2,5 would fit, although there is no more free space inside for 3". The reason for Chao Yang was that in the MSX I can't be happier with it. Almost 2k miles off-road on it and no punctures. If it would happend, I always have slime and air compressor with me. The original is CST and I don't like that model, it's too nervous because of the drawing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Ewheels should get into providing custom EUC mods like this. Not everyone is tech savvy. It could be very profitable. 

The problem is that for the complete work you must cut the wheel and the troley and this is a risk. If something goes wrong... I don't think anyone is going to do this service except doing it yourself with somebody who could help you.

But if you only want a wider and stable tyre and rise the pedals height, it's very simple, except for the disassembling of the wheel, which is... 🤯

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trya said:

Thank you, @Jorge RT for sharing this mod!

In order to solve the issue with the low clearance for mountain trails, I've made a similar "quick-and-dirty" 20 minutes mod, using just a dremel tool, without even taking the wheel apart. As you can see on the pictures, I cut off significantly less than Jorge, but with this cut - I didn't touch the telescopic handle and I didn't violate the waterproofing - there is no need to re-seal, I think (although this part was not really important for me). Even this relatively small cut solved most of the clearance issues for me. As to replacing the tire - I will think about it, because it will probably make the wheel a bit more difficult for freestyle, which is my equally important second use case for this great MCM5 :) 

UhJWkFz.jpg

TE2uaj9.jpg

Hi Trya,

If that works for you, then 👍. In my case, I didn't want anything under pedals because I had some crashes for that. The other thing I don't do is freestyle, so I prefer wide tyre, but you have more control with thin tyres.

The troley part was a bit difficult. Thanks to my friend @all1x1, who is a Master in mods, he disassembled each bar and cut a bit in order to put again but a bit shorter, because you need to rise up it. 

Also the waterproofing matter is simple. It's difficult for water to go up, but I will close de holes with rubber seal it with silicone. No problem on that.

Thanks for sharing your mod too. That would be a quick version.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

The wheel got stuck on your shoes?

I’m like a Tim Allen of Home Improvement always going well beyond what is deemed satisfactory . 

‘Stuck’ might be too strong of term as my shoes did finally dislodge from the pedals after touchdown.  All I can say is that my Pedals from Hell performed exactly as designed....zero slippage.

I’m sure the end result would have been less severe if you take into account my 25% ( OK 100%) of stupidity was factored in for riding at dusk in unfamiliar territory. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Tough memories. I installed some awesome spikes on my old ACM. 

47659327492_382c25dfde_b.jpg

Unfortunately I hit a deep pothole at high speed with my feet anchored to the pedals. The kinetic energy of the 50 pound wheel attached to my feet while I was spiraling through the air shattered my humeral head upon landing.

40932086512_50d7ea8783_b.jpg

My spikes appear to be more aggressive than your design. Just be safe. 

Wow! Sorry about that. The pedals are gorgeous!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jorge RT said:

Wow! Sorry about that. The pedals are gorgeous!! 

Thanks on both counts. The pedals were ‘gorgeous’ before I purposely destroyed them. Suppose I didn’t trust myself if I ever got the itch to attach the pedals to another GW.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 5:26 PM, Jorge RT said:

Marty, in the same link, if you choose colour, you have both, tube and tyre. The quality of the tyre is very similar to the MSX's. I love it!

@Jorge RT that inner tube in your link is the wrong valve angle, no? I'm trying to figure out if the 0angle valve 14 x 2.5 inner tube exists, or if you just use the same 14 x 2.125" inner tube thanks!

@RoCan same question, did you just use the regular 14 x 2.125" inner tube blow up to 2.5" wide? Or did you find a 0angle valve 14 x 2.5 inner tube (which I can't seem to find), thanks!

Edited by houseofjob
  • Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

Hey, Iam waiting for my mcm5 67v 280wh wheel and I have a question about charging that little fellow.... My gotway msx 84v 1600wh i blast with 5 amp when i need but this one i dont know?! Whats safe max amp? 

4 hours ago, Skrew said:

Hey, Iam waiting for my mcm5 67v 280wh wheel and I have a question about charging that little fellow.... My gotway msx 84v 1600wh i blast with 5 amp when i need but this one i dont know?! Whats safe max amp? 

I didn't even know that Gotway made a 67-volt MCM5. I'm sure 5-amps would be safe enough as it is with the other wheels.

Thanks Marty, yes they do Mten3 mcm5 and tesla in 67v now days.... Iam not really sure about your answer, to big load because of The small battery pack? Only 280wh.....  Iam not good in math, max amp cell etc and how many cells they are and so on?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skrew said:

Thanks Marty, yes they do Mten3 mcm5 and tesla in 67v now days.... Iam not really sure about your answer, to big load because of The small battery pack? Only 280wh.....  Iam not good in math, max amp cell etc and how many cells they are and so on?  

most manufacturers dont even recommend 5A charging on a battery over 5x that size lol... why does it need to be charged so quick xD i think at best you will seriously degrade the battery, if it doesnt go up in smoke first.. i dont know what they are using in there but thats around twice the top rated safe charging i believe that would be around 2C.. typically you want it to at the very least take one hour to charge from empty to full (even that is quicker than recommended and should be used sparingly, only when absolutely needed).. which im assuming would be around 2.5A for this small of a battery pack.. it will charge ridiculously fast no matter what relatively, you should only use the stock charger which is probably only 1-1.5A for a reason :P

on a side note.. gotway only somewhat recently upgraded the charge port wiring on their eucs to safely take 5A,, some have even done 10A on the monster with a split port but its risky they probably upgraded the wiring themselves.. i have seen pictures of melted wires and fried charge ports/melted glue.. if anything, this model would be what gotway would skimp on as much as possible.. you might just very quickly fry the wires and not be able to charge it at all if you did 5A.. i cant say though i have never even heard of this model lol

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1