My MCM5 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

@Marty Backe I do need to get my MCM5 and Tesla out of storage. You are so lucky to be able to ride throughout the year. My wife wants to move south to be closer to my son and grand- daughters. The warmer weather would be nice but I’m not ready to give up my practice. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@Marty Backe I do need to get my MCM5 and Tesla out of storage. You are so lucky to be able to ride throughout the year. My wife wants to move south to be closer to my son and grand- daughters. The warmer weather would be nice but I’m not ready to give up my practice. 

I'm riding my MCM5 to the physical therapist. They had me demo EUC riding in their office. So funny considering that's what caused me to be in their office :blink1:

To ride year-round really is nice. Something for you to look forward to. Where exactly is "move south", because some parts of the "south" could be just as unpleasant, but in the summer instead of winter?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Hmmm, can moderators take away privileges from other moderators? I need super-moderator privileges :efef77eaf5:

Face it Marty your all over the internet so it’s tough to eradicate all of those pesky photos. :P HIGH fives to the guy that captured that hilarious photo. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm riding my MCM5 to the physical therapist. They had me demo EUC riding in their office. So funny considering that's what caused me to be in their office :blink1:

I was asked to bring my wheel in as well but it never happened. To soon after the break.  I’m sure the PT staff and other patients were  intrigued. 

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

To ride year-round really is nice. Something for you to look forward to. Where exactly is "move south", because some parts of the "south" could be just as unpleasant, but in the summer instead of winter?

My son lives in Little Rock so there are mild temps year-round. I have grand kids here as well so that makes moving tough. Driving to AK takes 12 hours. It might make sense for me to resume flying again but a helicopter would take too long and I hate flying in small planes. Unfortunately I’ll be boarding a 4 passenger plane next week to visit my brother so I had better suck it up.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I was asked to bring my wheel in as well but it never happened. To soon after the break.  I’m sure the PT staff and other patients were  intrigued. 

My son lives in Little Rock so there are mild temps year-round. I have grand kids here as well so that makes moving tough. Driving to AK takes 12 hours. It might make sense for me to resume flying again but a helicopter would take too long and I hate flying in small planes. Unfortunately I’ll be boarding a 4 passenger plane next week to visit my brother so I had better suck it up.

First world problems :D Imagine what people in the 19th century would think of your problem, considering that when they moved away from family they never saw them again.

Looking on the bright side, when you're retired you'll have all the time in the world for visiting. Maybe the solution is to live halfway between both? A 6-hour drive is right at the cusp of being too long, which is good. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I have demoed my EUCs now 6+ times (I am starting to loose count) at hospitals and doctors office, on demard or request from staff to see how it works. Last time was thurseday previous week. 

Welcome to show your EUC to doctors club. 😁😎

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Keep throwing yourself at the ground and that decision might be made for you.;)

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

They are probably trying to figure out how they can drum up more business.  Maybe by offering discount wheels for sale.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

@Marty Backe could you explain me how the alarms work on this wheel? What do the settings do? There seem to be no alarms linked to a certain speed?

The alarms work the same as every other Gotway wheel. There are three alarms. The first two are fixed speed alarms. I don't know what those speeds are, and I believe that they are different for every wheel. The third alarm is triggered when the wheel exceeds 80 percent of the available power. This alarm varies depending on the battery percentage (higher effective speed with a full battery, and very low at low battery levels.

• Like 2

Hello riders. I am new to the forum and am in need of some advice please. Soon to be a proud owner of MCM5 14 inch Wheel. I am wondering what tyre pressure you would recommend for a rider weighing 150 pounds dressed? Thank you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pengloong said:

Hello riders. I am new to the forum and am in need of some advice please. Soon to be a proud owner of MCM5 14 inch Wheel. I am wondering what tyre pressure you would recommend for a rider weighing 150 pounds dressed? Thank you. 

Welcome :cheers:

Tire pressure is so personal. It behoves you to experiment. Personally, I usually fill all of my tires to their stated maximum. On the MCM5 I believe that's 45-psi. At your weight, probably anywhere between 40 and 45 will be fine, as a starting point.

Edited by Marty Backe

Thanks Marty. That helps alot. I have always been wary about buying Gotway wheels but after following your thread and follow write up for sometime, has inspired me to pull the trigger. I am looking forward to my MCM5.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pengloong said:

Thanks Marty. That helps alot. I have always been wary about buying Gotway wheels but after following your thread and follow write up for sometime, has inspired me to pull the trigger. I am looking forward to my MCM5.

You picked a great wheel to use for dipping your toes in the Gotway pool. I won't repeat all the reasons that you probably already know :)

Drop us a line after you've used it a bit.

On 3/25/2019 at 3:16 PM, Marty Backe said:

The alarms work the same as every other Gotway wheel. There are three alarms. The first two are fixed speed alarms. I don't know what those speeds are, and I believe that they are different for every wheel. The third alarm is triggered when the wheel exceeds 80 percent of the available power. This alarm varies depending on the battery percentage (higher effective speed with a full battery, and very low at low battery levels.

That sounds ehh ... "convenient"

Some speed alarms, but no idea at what speed you get them :lol: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

That sounds ehh ... "convenient"

Some speed alarms, but no idea at what speed you get them :lol: 

It's only because I've always turned the first two alarms off. I can't imagine what purpose they serve. All I know is that they sound at two fixed speeds, which aren't very fast.

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's only because I've always turned the first two alarms off. I can't imagine what purpose they serve. All I know is that they sound at two fixed speeds, which aren't very fast.

Just found some posts of you in another MCM5 topic. Will do the same. Just use the 80% alarm.

Can you imagine I still haven't ridden one meter on this wheel since I got it? :facepalm:

Lack of time and lack of decent weather. ffs ....

Edited by ir_fuel
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Just found some posts of you in another MCM5 topic. Will do the same. Just use the 80% alarm.

Can you imagine I still have ridden one meter on this wheel since I got it? :facepalm:

Lack of time and lack of decent weather. ffs ....

Wow, that's kind of depressing :(

Summer is almost here though B)

I charged it to 100% and went out with my daughter for her first ride on the V5F. In the end I spent all my time helping her on the V5F, since she didn't feel confident getting going on it from standstill by herself (it's a narrow wheel). We only had 15 minutes, and that was it until today ...

• Like 1

Hi everyone I'm thinking of buying the MCM5 but I'm worried about using it in the rain. I live in the UK and yes sometimes it rains a lot. I have a kingsong 14s which I use daily and been caught by heavy rain several times whilst riding but never had any problems with my wheel. Anyone had any experiences with the MCM5 in the rain ?

I have, in torrential rain, through puddles up to the platforms. I let it drip dry for a minute outside before bringing it inside, and carried it so I wouldn't leave a tire track. It was dry in the morning. No worries, no fuss. Only thing I double checked was that the charge port was dry before plugging in. My MCM5 is only two months old at this point, but has had no problems. I've been out in light rain multiple times, as well as snow, slush, icy bike paths, and mud. When I'm out in the rain I wear a rain suit over everything. My rain pants do not get dirty.

Long term evaluation ongoing.😋

• Like 3

Thanks for that info, that is reassuring to know. I also read on the forums here posted by yourtoys7 that he also got caught by very heavy rain whist riding his MCM5 and he went one step further and actually opened up his wheel to see if any water got in and apparantly everything was dry. Anyways I've gone ahead and ordered now! Can't wait to try it out!

• Like 1

@MrT, your going to love it! Amazing acceleration and very nimble yet heavy enough to feel safe at speed. 

I commute on mine 5 days a week. Being able to stop extremely quick, and shoot across a street equally quick make it perfect for my commute.  

My riding weight on my way to work with all my stuff (I change into a shirt and tie and also change my shoes when I get there) including lunch about 195lbs. I know my route very well so I miss any of the larger  bumps or slow down for them if I cant go around. Ave speed is usually between 16 and 17mph and top speed is usually between 23 to 25mph depending on wind. 

Just use caution if on unfamiliar routes since it is still a 14. On a smooth path it really feels more like a 16in wheel.

• Like 3