My MCM5 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

9 minutes ago, who_the said:

Every Gotway I've owned since the MSX has done this, and our temperatures are much lower here in San Francisco. As @Marty Backe can attest to, the Gotway fans are there for a reason, especially in warmer climates.

Wow, to ride an MCM5 around Italy... Might you share where in Italy you are? I taught in Urbino one summer and toured through Genoa, La Spezia, Assisi, Venice, Rome and many villages and towns. Could only imagine doing it on an EUC.... someday. :) 

Thanks for your answer. 

I'm in Milano. Nothing as beautiful as the cities you mentioned.ahah

But I count to take my wheel with me to the coutry too.

If you pass by this place someday, tell me :)

6 hours ago, Snowball said:

A question for MCM5 owners :)

I've just received the wheel (800Wh). Great EUC!

But there's something that I've noticed that' I'd like to understand.

I know that these are warm days (I'm Italy here) but after turning on the wheel, even not riding it, the internal fan starts going. I know it is normal but what's weird it the cycle of it: the fan starts for a few seconds (let's say 3-4) and then stops. After a few seconds it starts again, 3-4 seconds running and stops again. And so on.

Doesn't it sound weird to you?
Thanks for help.

Gotway has not implemented enough (any?) hysteresis in their fan controller. So this results in the fan continually turning on/off like you observe.

So it's normal for many of the Gotway wheels.  

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Gotway has not implemented enough (any?) hysteresis in their fan controller. So this results in the fan continually turning on/off like you observe.

So it's normal for many of the Gotway wheels.  

Thanks Marty :*

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I have a MCM5 since 7 days and I love it!! I just have a question : When the charger is on green light (after few hour of charging or after all night long charging) I "only" have +/- 83,20V when I turn on the wheel. I see it on darknessbot and I don't have 100% battery. Is it normal on Gotway? 

thanks

IMG_1590.PNG

That sounds like the charger is defective and doesn't put out the full voltage.

You can always get a multimeter and measure the charger voltage directly. Be careful not to accidentally short something with the multimeter (mainly if you would measure something at the wheel).

1 hour ago, Matthieu Pretre said:

Hello everyone,

I have a MCM5 since 7 days and I love it!! I just have a question : When the charger is on green light (after few hour of charging or after all night long charging) I "only" have +/- 83,20V when I turn on the wheel. I see it on darknessbot and I don't have 100% battery. Is it normal on Gotway? 

thanks

IMG_1590.PNG

My fully charged MCM5 reads 83.1-volts via WheelLog and 100% battery.

I own multiple Gotway wheels and have discovered at least one charger that does not put out the correct voltage and therefore doesn't fully charge the wheels. Interestingly, this charger will show a green light when the wheel is fully charged but the LED has a faded look to it. My good chargers have a very bright and clear green indicator.

So I would guess that your charger is the problem.

Edited by Marty Backe

Also, if your wheel as a diode installed to prevent charging port shock (eWheels does this), the resistance added causes the charger to turn off a little earlier. None of my Gotway EUCs charge to 84.2V or 100.8V, even when I use my fancy Cycle Satiator battery charger.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Also, if your wheel as a diode installed to prevent charging port shock (eWheels does this), the resistance added causes the charger to turn off a little earlier. None of my Gotway EUCs charge to 84.2V or 100.8V, even when I use my fancy Cycle Satiator battery charger.

No it didn't has it. Some of my friend told me that Gotway charger are often big shit so I will test it this evening 

On 7/24/2019 at 9:10 AM, Snowball said:

I know that these are warm days (I'm Italy here) but after turning on the wheel, even not riding it, the internal fan starts going. I know it is normal but what's weird it the cycle of it: the fan starts for a few seconds (let's say 3-4) and then stops. After a few seconds it starts again, 3-4 seconds running and stops again. And so on.

My MCM5 does exactly the same.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Jorge RT said:

Hi! I'd like to share with you my changes on my MCM5. What I like of this wheel is the power it has, the smoothness and how it climbs. Of course, I like off-road most, I only enjoy asphalt with the Z10 :)

For my use, the wheel has several problems. The pedal height is not enough for off-road, problems with roots and stones. There are some plastics under the pedals which continuously are hitting everywhere. And the tyre is thin and nervous. 

Well, I've put on it a Chao Yang 14x2,5" tyre and removed tons of plastics and now I have a mini MSuper X of 14 inches. I can't be happier. Stability, pedal height, low pressure possible... Totally awesome. If you like this wheel and off-road, these changes are superb!!

IMG_20190815_214222_871.jpg

IMG_20190815_214222_873.jpg

IMG_20190815_214222_870.jpg

I love :wub: this mod.

Did you have to do anything to make the new tire fit on the wheel and in the shell?

Can you provide a link to the exact tire that you bought?

Thanks

:cheers:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jorge RT said:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/PDRwyta

Yeah! You need to cut some borders with the grinder? I don't know if this is the word for the machine to cut plastics. Also the troley bars have been disassembled and cut to stretch and rise it a bit. And all the plastics under the pedals have been cut. It takes some time but the reward is awesome. Of course, the spikes in off-road help a lot with shoes like Vans, which have lots of holes in the shoe sole.

😉

Fantastic. I think I'm going to give this a try. Did you also replace the tube?

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Fantastic. I think I'm going to give this a try. Did you also replace the tube?

Marty, in the same link, if you choose colour, you have both, tube and tyre. The quality of the tyre is very similar to the MSX's. I love it!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jorge RT said:

Marty, in the same link, if you choose colour, you have both, tube and tyre. The quality of the tyre is very similar to the MSX's. I love it!

Thanks. Ordering ...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

How much of the plastic did you remove? Is the undercarriage still sealed and intact?

Hi Chris, everything under the pedals and some in the borders. But, if you don't want to make off-road, and the use is the city, you can leave them and only cut the borders. The chasis is intact. 

The undercarriage isn't sealed now but it'll be.

Screenshot_20190815_232150.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jorge RT said:

Hi Chris, everything under the pedals and some in the borders. But, if you don't want to make off-road, and the use is the city, you can leave them and only cut the borders. The chasis is intact. 

The undercarriage isn't sealed now but it'll be.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Jorge RT said:

Of course, the spikes in off-road help a lot with shoes like Vans, which have lots of holes in the shoe sole.

Great Mod! :thumbup: The pedal spikes are my favorite! :cry2: Just be careful! 

48547218587_179aa40b24_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jorge RT said:

awesome mod. I keep thinking how the perfect wheel would be a MCM5 with 2.5 to 3 inch tires. This mod would definitely be worth the time and effort. Did you try different 14x2.5 tires and found this one to work and others not to work or do you think any 14x2.5 tire would work. I'm asking because  as  I looked at your link, another one popped on on the side "recommended for you" and it was a puncture guarded tire from a different company also 14x2.5. The idea of "anti-puncture" sounds really good to me. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32822398184.html

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Wow, this was like my main reason for selling my old MCM5, the thin tire.

I wasn’t aware you sold it. I’m sure Jason would give you a great deal on a new one.

Ewheels should get into providing custom EUC mods like this. Not everyone is tech savvy. It could be very profitable. 

• Upvote 3