wider tire for mcm5

Mahyar Farsad

hello :)

so i am looking for a wider tire for mcm5 { 14 x 2.5 ) and i know that i have to modify the shell :D , but i am confused about what type of tire should i get (kenda ,chaoyang,cst,etc )

and if someone have already done this i can use some help 

thanks  

I am also interested in this. I’ve heard that the shell needs modding but cannot find anything online about it. The tyres are available on Ali. 2.5 or 3”. Guessing there’s no chance of fitting the 3” though.

2 hours ago, RoCan said:

I am also interested in this. I’ve heard that the shell needs modding but cannot find anything online about it. The tyres are available on Ali. 2.5 or 3”. Guessing there’s no chance of fitting the 3” though.

yeah i ordered the 2.5 from aliexpress , i will keep you posted how that turns out :D

• Upvote 2

I’m not sure if the screws are machined on the 2019 MCM5 (black vents) so I’m a bit concerned with opening it up and it loosening. After watching the tear down vids on you tube I don’t think the original wheel was and just screwed into plastic. :(

Has anyone opened up the MCM5 or know about the screws?

That would be awesome if you can get a 2.5" wide tire in the MCM5. I may just order a 14x2.5" tire myself and try it out. It's not like shaving the MCM5 shell will void the warranty as there is no warranty. 

The width of the MCM5 case inner edge is 2.3" wide. It looks like the screw mounts are 2.7" apart on either side. On paper it seems doable. Alright, I just place order for the 2.5" tire. Let's A-Team this wheel. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, greentung said:

That would be awesome if you can get a 2.5" wide tire in the MCM5. I may just order a 14x2.5" tire myself and try it out. It's not like shaving the MCM5 shell will void the warranty as there is no warranty. 

The width of the MCM5 case inner edge is 2.3" wide. It looks like the screw mounts are 2.7" apart on either side. On paper it seems doable. Alright, I just place order for the 2.5" tire. Let's A-Team this wheel. 

I too am interested in the brave souls that attempt this mode, but on my measuring, I didn't believe the 2.5" wide conversion would be possible without shaving the shell, plus factoring in that the tire would be taller, rubbing against the top shell undercarriage.

Perhaps if guys are successful, I might re-buy an MCM5 LOL, as I sold mine due to the sketchy 2.125" wide tire, not suitable for bad city streets IMHO.

8 hours ago, RoCan said:

I’m not sure if the screws are machined on the 2019 MCM5 (black vents) so I’m a bit concerned with opening it up and it loosening. After watching the tear down vids on you tube I don’t think the original wheel was and just screwed into plastic. :(

Has anyone opened up the MCM5 or know about the screws?

I've opened my old MCM5 plenty of times (since sold), and I believe there were no screw insets, but don't quote me on that (the MCM5 still used wood screws, no the machine screws they've since switched to on the Nikola)

However, I'm not sure why that would discourage you from opening up the wheel, as I regularly did this with mine when I had. You just have to make sure you don't overtighten.

Edited by houseofjob

9 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

I've opened my old MCM5 plenty of times (since sold), and I believe there were no screw insets, but don't quote me on that (the MCM5 still used wood screws, no the machine screws they've since switched to on the Nikola)

However, I'm not sure why that would discourage you from opening up the wheel, as I regularly did this with mine when I had. You just have to make sure you don't overtighten.

Good to know. I’ve only ever opened up used wheels that I had when starting out. Bit hesitant with a shiny new MCM5. The stock tire is just too thin and sqwirly for me. It’s like riding a blade... a finely tuned Samurai blade. Fun but I’d prefer a Highlander long sword feel if you get me. A bit of stability with all that torque and I’ll be in heaven. If that means A-Teaming it then so be it. Murdock it’s ass! :clap3:

I just might wait and see how my fellow MCM5ers get on first though ... Murdock was a wuss! :cry2:

• Upvote 1

It looks like I can shave at least 2.8" wide clearance from the shell (picture).

mcm5_case1.thumb.jpg.0988c75b3da175ccc1af0493377e556a.jpg

I aligned the ruler at 1.25" in the center of the tire. Should indicate the minimum amount of shell material that need to be removed for 2.5" wide tire. If this mod doesn't work the downside is very minimum. Will just end up with a slightly wider wheel well for leaves and twigs to go right through instead of getting stuck. :)

mcm5_case2.thumb.jpg.5812e98b4113b57b631f669f31667dfe.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, greentung said:

It looks like I can shave at least 2.8" wide clearance from the shell (picture).

mcm5_case1.thumb.jpg.0988c75b3da175ccc1af0493377e556a.jpg

I aligned the ruler at 1.25" in the center of the tire. Should indicate the minimum amount of shell material that need to be removed for 2.5" wide tire. If this mod doesn't work the downside is very minimum. Will just end up with a slightly wider wheel well for leaves and twigs to go right through instead of getting stuck. :)

mcm5_case2.thumb.jpg.5812e98b4113b57b631f669f31667dfe.jpg

That part of the shell pops off doesn’t it? Would be an easy replacement if it all goes tits up. Or is the main shell just as wide underneath?

39 minutes ago, RoCan said:

So I received the Chao Yang 14x2.5 tyre. I couldn’t resist fitting it despite my concerns about opening up my new MCM5. Despite knowing the shell will need modding, I was hoping it would fit.

I’ve previously fitted tyres on a V8 and MSV3 with the help of you tube without issues. The MCM5 is a nightmare! :eff0541f4a:There are 2 videos on you tube, neither show the full process. I’m amazed GotWay didn’t think about making the process simpler during design, especially as this is a fairly new model so these wheels should be getting better in every aspect IMO.

The main problem being the 2 shell halves need to be split (at least partly) in order to remove the motor. The “ecodrift” video does not show these screws being loosened and then skips to the shell being lifted off the motor which I can’t see is possible without creating extra width to get over the large bolts and motor cables. The “wheel tech” tear down videos also skip out the details and is showing a complete disassembly, not ideal for a simple tyre change.

So be prepared to remove additional screws, a sealed cable from the motherboard, strip plastic cable tidy, unstick led strip light, remove second battery, cut sticky back foam tape around second battery.  This was just to loosen the shells enough to slide over the motor. I was not able to separate the shells completely.

So, for anyone trying this, be warned... take a chill pill and know it’s not a quick process. :furious:

Back to the tyre, as speculated above it just fits between the main shell and free spins but with some slight rubbing. The transparent clip on trims definitely do not fit and will need modding but looks to be fairly straight forward without effecting the clips.

I am yet to try it due to torrential storms but I suspect about 5mm from each side of the main shell plus the curved reveal will need to be modded. It’s difficult to know for sure as I was unable to completely separate the shells to view clearance within. 

I’m going back in today. I think it’s possible and I think it will really improve the wheel. I’ll take a few pics this time which may help others.

Anyone else attempted this yet? I’d love some more information before hacking away at my shiny new wheel. :efefb6a84e:

now i'm scared :confused1: . i had no idea that it is going to be so hard, i thought dissembling the wheel is an easy process ( maybe i'm too naive :efefb6a84e: )  , keep us posted and good luck 

So I couldn’t face opening the wheel up again today so concentrated on the plastic trims. It was easy to grind down and file for a reasonable finish. Here’s a few pics

EE0856F2-B1AC-4FE1-AD07-3E6C7987150A.jpeg

Edited by RoCan
  • Like 1

I can't for the life of me get the plastic trims back in fully but at least they are symmetrical. I don't think this is because of the mod, I think it's just a shit design tbh.

It rides amazingly. So stable with all the maneuverability of a 14" I'm very excited about this wheel now. I've decided to take it for a long ride tomorrow and see if the tyre can wear down the shell edges for me. It will save me having to tear it down again. 

I'll post back tomorrow.

• Like 2

@RoCan, very nice clean work on the shell mod. What did you use to grind or file the shell ? I am thinking about using a Dremel cutting wheel along with a grind attachment (when my tire 14x2.5 is delivered). Thanks.

1 hour ago, greentung said:

@RoCan, very nice clean work on the shell mod. What did you use to grind or file the shell ? I am thinking about using a Dremel cutting wheel along with a grind attachment (when my tire 14x2.5 is delivered). Thanks.

Thanks. I haven’t filed the shell yet, only the plastic trims. I used an angle grinder to get the lip off and then a file to smooth it out. A curved file for the arch is essential.

It’s too windy to ride at the moment but will take it out tomorrow morning. It constantly rubs from the little I’ve tried it but doesn’t seem to effect the experience too much, just doesn’t sound great!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@RoCan. I guess it's too much trouble to take the MCM5 apart to shave off the few millimeter of plastic rubbing against the tire. I wonder if you can deflate the tire and squeeze a file between the tire and plastic trim to remove some material. Thanks for showing us the way. I will make sure to have enough clearance between tire and trim. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, greentung said:

@RoCan. I guess it's too much trouble to take the MCM5 apart to shave off the few millimeter of plastic rubbing against the tire. I wonder if you can deflate the tire and squeeze a file between the tire and plastic trim to remove some material. Thanks for showing us the way. I will make sure to have enough clearance between tire and trim. 

Good idea. Will give that a go.