UK police wanting to contact me

Cannings

1 hour ago, Cannings said:

I blasted off a couple of emails to a couple of MP's and and to be honest one of my main points wasn't "this isn't fair" or "why are we still basing our laws on horse and carriage laws" but more of okay fine have your laws, but give us the ability to abide by them and licence/insure the EUC's this way the government makes money, covers themselves to indemnity, looks like its been pro-active to hit its green targets that its set itself. 

I said the userbase for these wheels are not 15 year olds whipping round terrorizing the place, its adults that use them for not only enjoyment and getting around but for commuting also who would be willing to pay to insure/licence them if it meant we had a place to ride them legally.

What is the cost to the tax payer? Nothing 

What is the cost of any extra policing? Nothing

What is the cost of any accidents? Nothing if insured and if not then they are just in the same bucket as now

As you have made attempts to highlight the benefits of EUCs to you local MP, perhaps the Cost Benefit evidence from various cycling/ walking schemes government paper would help cement your case. See here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cycling-and-walking-the-economic-case-for-action

The health benefits of EUCs are of unknown quantity (I do less walking but I must do more than 5 times the distance I would have walked as I get to see 5 times more scenery,  and I hardly use the car for local trips to the shops etc). The benefits such as physical activity, absentism, journey quality, road safety, environment, decongestion and time saving for active mode users are all highlighted in the way government wants to move forward. Surely EUCs would compliment these goverment initiatives? I hope the MPs can envision the future of EUCs and how this aligns perfectly with the governments strategic direction and objectives for the future. Technology is here. Cars, bicycles and walking are so last year :)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to see if I could insure my EUC, and sent the following email to an insurance broker:-

Dear sirs,
  I would like to know if it is possible to insure my electric self balancing unicycle for 3rd party risks?
It is basically a Segway with only one wheel capable of similar speeds to a bicycle.

This is a link to the company who manufacture them:-

https://www.kingsong.com/list-28.html

The law regarding the operation of them seems very grey but I mainly ride on promenades/parks/cycle lanes etc. and avoid where possible roads or pavements except for access.

I am aware of two cases of riders being prosecuted for not having insurance, hence my question. See links below:-

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/top-motorcycle-racer-caught-riding-11739522

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/man-ended-up-six-points-12031624

I checked my home insurance policy and they do not cover vehicles.

My mobile number is 077******** if you woud like to discuss this request.

Regards
Andy *******

I waited over a week for a reply and had to send another reminder email to them.  I received the following reply:-

Good morning Mr *****

Firstly may I apologise for not replying to your initial email, I have looked into the matter this morning and it appears to have been overlooked and for that I am sorry.

With regards to the enquiry, unfortunately we do not have any markets at present that can offer the cover for your personal transport so I am unable to provide any terms for the risk.

Again please accept my sincere apologies and I hope you manage to find someone who can offer the cover you require.

Regards

********  Insurance Brokers Ltd

Well I tried but failed. If I get pulled up for no insurance I can say I tried !!!

Why would an insurance company bother. It didn't exist 20 years ago, only 0.0001% of the population wants it, and it's extra work.

Just cash in on motorcycle/car insurance, and keep on claiming how "green" your company is ...

Can't we list it as valuable property and have it insured for theft/damage like a TV or Couch? I heard of an insurance company that covers segway type things from a while back. I might be able to pull it up if I dig hard enough.

4 minutes ago, Esper said:

Can't we list it as valuable property and have it insured for theft/damage like a TV or Couch? I heard of an insurance company that covers segway type things from a while back. I might be able to pull it up if I dig hard enough.

I'm sure I could insure it against being stolen just like any other thing I own but that wouldn't help if you were involved in an accident/claim. It has to be insured for third party risk.

1 hour ago, Juggler said:

I'm sure I could insure it against being stolen just like any other thing I own but that wouldn't help if you were involved in an accident/claim. It has to be insured for third party risk.

Exactly. That is the problem. And it's not only about money. It is also about the safety net of knowing that if there is a claim, it won't be outstanding because of you, even if you're low on money ATM.

Just now, ir_fuel said:

Glad my insurance company covers it ? 

6 hours ago, Juggler said:

I decided to see if I could insure my EUC, and sent the following email to an insurance broker:-

Dear sirs,
  I would like to know if it is possible to insure my electric self balancing unicycle for 3rd party risks?
It is basically a Segway with only one wheel capable of similar speeds to a bicycle.

This is a link to the company who manufacture them:-

https://www.kingsong.com/list-28.html

The law regarding the operation of them seems very grey but I mainly ride on promenades/parks/cycle lanes etc. and avoid where possible roads or pavements except for access.

I am aware of two cases of riders being prosecuted for not having insurance, hence my question. See links below:-

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/top-motorcycle-racer-caught-riding-11739522

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/man-ended-up-six-points-12031624

I checked my home insurance policy and they do not cover vehicles.

My mobile number is 077******** if you woud like to discuss this request.

Regards
Andy *******

I waited over a week for a reply and had to send another reminder email to them.  I received the following reply:-

Good morning Mr *****

Firstly may I apologise for not replying to your initial email, I have looked into the matter this morning and it appears to have been overlooked and for that I am sorry.

With regards to the enquiry, unfortunately we do not have any markets at present that can offer the cover for your personal transport so I am unable to provide any terms for the risk.

Again please accept my sincere apologies and I hope you manage to find someone who can offer the cover you require.

Regards

********  Insurance Brokers Ltd

Well I tried but failed. If I get pulled up for no insurance I can say I tried !!!

Try Allianz Insurance
https://www.allianz.co.uk

They are pan European and NZ I think.

They offer euc insurance in France

6 hours ago, RockyTop said:

If you end up in prison over this I would just tell the other inmates that you got unstable and hurt someone.  Don’t bring up unicycles !

Yeah, sometimes I get unbalanced, I can't really help it. I lost control and I hurt someone. It could happen again at any time. Stay out of my way. Being charged with battery would have actually been a good thing compared to what happened.

6 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

Yeah, sometimes I get unbalanced, I can't really help it. I lost control and I hurt someone. It could happen again at any time. Stay out of my way. Being charged with battery would have actually been a good thing compared to what happened.

Beware. It would wheely hurt. Maybe they should've Gotway out of your path while you were Inmotion. You had somewhere to be by Ninebot you had less than five minues. 

I didnt know how to fit the rest in there....

8 hours ago, Esper said:

Beware. It would wheely hurt. Maybe they should've Gotway out of your path while you were Inmotion. You had somewhere to be by Ninebot you had less than five minues. 

I didnt know how to fit the rest in there....

If you ride too fast too furious you could become an Airwheel. 

Charging the battery improperly could also make it be a Firewheel.

The choice is all yours. :thumbup:

10 hours ago, Gary357 said:

Try Allianz Insurance
https://www.allianz.co.uk

They are pan European and NZ I think.

They offer euc insurance in France

Mine is covered by my "personal responsaibility" insurance (no idea how it's called in English. RC vie privée in French or BA privéleven in Dutch).

3 hours ago, stephen said:

can't find euc cover anywhere ?

You will need to email / speak to them. The UK subsidiary that is.

Their French site (use Chrome and google to translate) shows EUCs civil liability insurance here : 

https://www.allianz.fr/assurance-autres-vehicules/nouvelles-mobilites/ 

You might find the UK will include personal liability insurance for electric scooters / EUCs if you take their buildings or contents insurance. 

On 6/7/2018 at 4:58 AM, ir_fuel said:

Mine is covered by my "personal responsaibility" insurance (no idea how it's called in English. RC vie privée in French or BA privéleven in Dutch).

Yes, in the US this is called "personal liability" and is usually attached to your homeowner or renter insurance. For people with higher net worth they also recommend a "umbrella policy" that covers any type of lawsuit against you. Sometimes if people know you have money saved they will try to "sue you for all you're worth" and umbrella policies are designed to protect you against that. 

Hmmm, rather wish I hadn't come across this thread. I've been riding an Airwheel X3 around my land for a good while just for a bit of fun but was just about to pull the trigger and preorder a KS18L from Ian at Speedy Feet to use for commuting to my new job (I'm in UK btw). I hadn't realised that people had actually been convicted in the UK for riding EUCs, in what I'd consider to be fairly reasonable circumstances. When hoverboards became the latest fad for a short period, the worst I'd heard was police officers just telling riders to stop using them in public places, with no real formal warning. I knew that using an EUC in public was a bit of a grey area in the UK, but didn't realise quite how grey that grey area was until reading this thread. Like others have mentioned, I find it astonishing how the country's current laws are inhibiting the adoption of potentially beneficial modes of transport such as EUCs. If I wasn't to use an EUC for my commute, I probably would drive instead, which is beneficial to none of the parties involved, including the environment. It's also sad that growth of businesses like Speedy Feet are being stinted by the uncertainty concerning the legality of electric vehicles in the UK, indeed it has made me consider whether it is worth the risk of purchasing the aforementioned KS18L from them.

On 6/8/2018 at 9:38 AM, Cannings said:

Its not only insurance thought its road tax also isn't it?

Fairly unlikely. Electric vehicles under £40,000 are zero rated anyway.  It is these “driving without insurance” cases that are the real nasty ones. Originally, with both Segways and Hoverboards the view was that they were breaking the 1835 Road Traffic Act which has a maximum fine of £50 and absolutely no mention of confiscation - that, in my opinion was a risk worth taking (and also suggested that riding on the footway was a better risk than the road where you might fall foul of a more serious violation). To declare it to be a motor vehicle and prosecute as such is ridiculous (IMHO).

4 hours ago, Chazza said:

If I wasn't to use an EUC for my commute, I probably would drive instead,

And there by hangs the really stupid “risk management” in all of this. Not only does it show we have a Govenrment that does not give a toss about green issues but a car or motorbike are even legal electric bike are all way more likely to hurt or even kill someone than a smaller, lighter electric vehicle, be it an EUC or electric scooter.

For example personal electric transport U.K. announced they were demonstrating the robstep electric bike at a U.K. show recently.  https://personalelectrictransport.co.uk/robstep-x1-foldable-electric-bike/  This is a small neat foldable electric bike with a top speed of 20kph and TOTALLY ILLEGAL IN THE U.K. simply because you cannot peddle it - which would make it heavier and more cumbersome when folded. As laws go it is completely pathetic!

Did you go to Fully Charged, Keith? (The show they were referring to). I went on the Saturday, so missed Personal Electric Transport being there, but I saw two women with EUCs, one a Gotway ACM I think and the other carrying a V8. Literally that’s the first time I’ve seen anyone else with an EUC, so I let out a very loud “OMG” when I saw them. 

2 hours ago, Kael said:

Did you go to Fully Charged, Keith? (The show they were referring to). I went on the Saturday, so missed Personal Electric Transport being there, but I saw two women with EUCs, one a Gotway ACM I think and the other carrying a V8. Literally that’s the first time I’ve seen anyone else with an EUC, so I let out a very loud “OMG” when I saw them. 

Was it Heidi and her friend Cicely?  From Norwich?  Heidi is on the ACM.  

9 hours ago, steve454 said:

Was it Heidi and her friend Cicely?  From Norwich?  Heidi is on the ACM.  

Oh wow, yeah it was! Awesome. Funny how everyone knows everyone. I'd left my wheel in my car, so I couldn't be like "InMotion buddies!"

(sorry for derailing the thread)

HI Guys! 
Yes it was me and Cecily. ?  Easily recognisable as we are probably the only two 'old girls' riding EU's. Cecily has just had her new V10F delivered yesterday. Im still on my faithful Gotway ACM 820 . You should have stopped and chatted to us, lots of people did! 

Archived