UK police wanting to contact me

Cannings

when i go riding most people haven't even heard about them i don't ride on roads just parks canal paths etc looking for some long trails now , I've had no negative comments as yet probly will when i run into the police lol . wish i knew people with one tbh to explore rides

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, stephen said:

i don't ride on roads just parks canal paths etc looking for some long trails now.

wish i knew people with one tbh to explore rides

Where abouts are you? I’m about to move to somewhere along the Rochdale Canal (but absolutely not Rochdale ? - probably Littleborough- Todmorden way)

53 minutes ago, Norwich Girl said:

HI Guys! 
Yes it was me and Cecily. ?  Easily recognisable as we are probably the only two 'old girls' riding EU's. Cecily has just had her new V10F delivered yesterday. Im still on my faithful Gotway ACM 820 . You should have stopped and chatted to us, lots of people did! 

I was there with my old man who needed the WC, so we only passed very quickly on the stairs and I didn't really process it. I most definitely would have if I'd seen you again. Were the interested people fellow riders or just curious types?

UK riders seem so few and far between, but it would be good to have a meet up some time.

17 minutes ago, Keith said:

Where abouts are you? I’m about to move to somewhere along the Rochdale Canal (but absolutely not Rochdale ? - probably Littleborough- Todmorden way)

I live in Rochdale and work in Littleborough. When the weather is OK I like to ride home via the canal and if really nice around Hollingworth Lake. The Lake and canal are my main riding routes. I'm hoping to be able to get as far as Hebden Bridge and back with my new ACM 2. I haven't done a proper range test yet but am hoping to soon.

BTW Rochdale covers a lot of areas including Littleborough ? https://mapit.mysociety.org/area/2532.html

There was a street party in Gothenburg this weekend. Lots of people, lots of beer, lots of music, and of course some policemen and women standing around. I stopped and asked them about it, because I though that party were supposed to have been a few weeks earlier.

It was a gal and a guy, both very nice. They not only commended me on my wonderful wheel, and my protection, but also gave advice which roads were not packed with people.

THAT is how interaction with the police should be for us EUC:ers... cordial and helpful.

so i've had a bit of movement off one of my emails to the mp for cheshire west:

Dear Mr Cannings

Thank you for contacting me. I must confess I'm unaware what the legalities are of unicycling but I have forwarded your concerns to Chief Inspector Simon Meegan of Northwich NPU to investigate.

I'll be in touch with you as soon as I receive a reply 

Best wishes for now  

Mike Amesbury
Labour MP for Weaver Vale

------------------------------

Dear Mr Cannings

Please see below a copy of an email I have received from Chief Inspector Simon Meegan. I have also forwarded your concerns David Gauke, Secretary of State for Justice with regards the legislative aspect of this, and will be in touch again once I have received a response.  

Best wishes for now

Mike Amesbury MP

Good afternoon Mike, hope you are well.

With regards to this enquiry, it is unusual and is the first one I have encountered in this area. Whilst I am sympathetic to your constituent's wider argument, I do have concerns about the safety of the individual and the public, operating this type of vehicle on either a pavement or road.

In any event, they are illegal. They are self-balancing scooters and would require a licence, insurance and for it to be road registered and display a number plate. However, it can't be road registered as it currently is not type approved in the UK. If he is using it at night he will commit further Construction and Use offences regarding lighting (or lack of).

Ultimately if he is seen using it, a constable in uniform can seize it for no insurance. He won't be able to get it back either, as it need to be road registered for it to be returned to the owner. However, on this occasion the PCSO has used his discretion and advised accordingly.

As Mr. Cannings recognises, it is ultimately a legislative rather than an enforcement issue.

I hope that assists.

Best wishes,

--------------------------------------------

It seems mike is trying to help and we're all of the opinion that its definitely illegal and its an issue of legislation so lets see.

15 minutes ago, Cannings said:

Dear Mr Cannings

Thank you for contacting me. I must confess I'm unaware what the legalities are of unicycling but I have forwarded your concerns to Chief Inspector Simon Meegan of Northwich NPU to investigate.

Best wishes for now  

Mike Amesbury

Dear Mr Cannings

Please see below a copy of an email I have received from Chief Inspector Simon Meegan. I have also forwarded your concerns David Gauke, Secretary of State for Justice with regards the legislative aspect of this, and will be in touch again once I have received a response.  

Best wishes for now

Mike Amesbury MP

With regards to this enquiry, it is unusual and is the first one I have encountered in this area. Whilst I am sympathetic to your constituent's wider argument, I do have concerns about the safety of the individual and the public, operating this type of vehicle on either a pavement or road.

In any event, they are illegal. They are self-balancing scooters and would require a licence, insurance and for it to be road registered and display a number plate. However, it can't be road registered as it currently is not type approved in the UK. If he is using it at night he will commit further Construction and Use offences regarding lighting (or lack of).

Ultimately if he is seen using it, a constable in uniform can seize it for no insurance. He won't be able to get it back either, as it need to be road registered for it to be returned to the owner. However, on this occasion the PCSO has used his discretion and advised accordingly.

As Mr. Cannings recognises, it is ultimately a legislative rather than an enforcement issue.

I hope that assists.

Best wishes,

It seems mike is trying to help and we're all of the opinion that its definitely illegal and its an issue of legislation so lets see.

Well I'm glad that he took an interest and didn't ignore you, at least. Would be great if we could get the law looked at. It may affect a minor portion of the population right now, but small electric transport for the public is here and it's in the public interest to enable economical new ideas rather than ban them. Just take those scooter companies dropping hundreds of scooters around cities in California, yeah it could be seen as a bit reckless, but that's the kind of innovation we need in the UK.

I wonder if they might be more receptive if @Cannings can provide a small live demonstration of the wheel.  @dbfrese made a really good impression on his Ninebot One E+ with his local legislative committee.  I'm not sure if maybe a little more exposure in person :whistling: with the wheel might make a better impact.  It's easy to say no and state legal statutes behind a desk and computer especially if something is unfamiliar.  If anything maybe it might make a good impression of how practical these EUCs are at reducing car emissions and traffic.

Ok, .... So do you have to register and insure bicycles and electric wheel chairs?  ( both can cause as much damage.) If I put wheels on a park bench and ride it down the road would they take it from me and not give it back because I could not register and insure it first?   I hate to bring this up but this is a lack of “freedom”.  I can do whatever I want until you prove damage or endangerment.  Void in some cities, Taxes pending, 

7 hours ago, RockyTop said:

I hate to bring this up but this is a lack of “freedom”.  I can do whatever I want until you prove damage or endangerment.  Void in some cities, Taxes pending, 

Like buy one of these in a local shop? ?

303883011_2_640x640.jpg?identifier=e33d0

20 hours ago, TremF said:

I live in Rochdale and work in Littleborough. When the weather is OK I like to ride home via the canal and if really nice around Hollingworth Lake. The Lake and canal are my main riding routes. I'm hoping to be able to get as far as Hebden Bridge and back with my new ACM 2. I haven't done a proper range test yet but am hoping to soon.

BTW Rochdale covers a lot of areas including Littleborough ? https://mapit.mysociety.org/area/2532.html

I see your not on the map of EUC riders yet. We need to get everyone on it so we can see where our nearest riders are and hopefully arrage meets.  Here is the link to the map

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1rj0BJqr1wpilPUmFC4blqlmAihI&hl=en_US&ll=17.085747915662058%2C26.13422055000001&z=2

8 minutes ago, Juggler said:

I see your not on the map of EUC riders yet. We need to get everyone on it so we can see where our nearest riders are and hopefully arrage meets.  Here is the link to the map

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1rj0BJqr1wpilPUmFC4blqlmAihI&hl=en_US&ll=17.085747915662058%2C26.13422055000001&z=2

Added :) 

2 hours ago, Juggler said:

Also added. Could be worse I suppose.. Could be the only person in the entire state.

13 hours ago, Cannings said:

Dear Mr Cannings

Best wishes for now  

Mike Amesbury

Dear Mr Cannings

Best wishes for now

Mike Amesbury MP

I hope that assists.

Best wishes,

This feels rather typical of the modern western society at large. Rather than "anything not specifically prohibited is legal", the reality is "anything not specifically allowed is illegal". Or at least in some areas of human activities - those that runs the risk of actually being fun...

Sadly when this idea of "safety" is allowed to trump experimentation is also very detrimental to progress. The UK situation is like a demonstration of the problem.

Rather than creating a blanket rule saying that "all vehicles capable of speeds exceeding 15mph (or so), should have a liability insurance", and then complementing the rule with a few rules of thumb for risk-assessment, and thereby what premiums the insurance will incur, all vehicles that are not individually type-studied and passed with regulations are prohibited.

The effect is of course a total cold, wet blanket on new ideas for innovative transportation. And this in an era when we're more in need of alternatives to big castles of steel and aluminium driven forward by combustion engines consuming the last of our precious oil and spewing out metals, nitrogen dioxides, and a multitude of other less or more carcinogenic compounds into the air - not to speak of the carbon dioxide that risks fucking up our future as a species.

Public transportation is all well and good, if we can make it so that it is the preferred mode of transportation not only in Eastern Asia and to some extent Europe, but everywhere. But public transportation suffers from a catch 22:
The more stops, the slower transportation, the fewer will choose it because of the door to door time-lag.
But fewer stops while meaning the schedule moves on faster, also means you'll be dumped further from where you're actually going, which will make fewer people choose it because of the time-lag...

So damned if you do and damned if you don't.

The self evident solution would be personal transport that is light and compact enough to carry like a bag on the public transportation, and fast enough that the distance between your stop and your destination flies by in a flash.

We need innovation. Electric bikes, foldable mini-bikes, electric scooters, EUC and other compact balance vehicles, new battery technology less dependent on rare earth metals and so on. But this won't happen as long as the "last mile solutions" are frowned upon and prohibited.

Today, here in Gothenburg, you can't take your bike on the tram or the bus, but you can take your EUC, electric skateboard or foldable scooter. The limit is "able to carry" and "no bigger than a traveling suitcase" approximately.

THAT is the sustainable future, and politicians everywhere should EMBRACE the innovation.

13 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder if they might be more receptive if @Cannings can provide a small live demonstration of the wheel.  @dbfrese made a really good impression on his Ninebot One E+ with his local legislative committee.  I'm not sure if maybe a little more exposure in person :whistling: with the wheel might make a better impact.  It's easy to say no and state legal statutes behind a desk and computer especially if something is unfamiliar.  If anything maybe it might make a good impression of how practical these EUCs are at reducing car emissions and traffic.

In my original email I sent the 360 degree video i made of my trip to work

1 hour ago, TremF said:

They all need to watch the B&Q ad :) They make it look so easy.

I wonder where they got their third party insurance from? Surely they would have had to risk assess it and thereby deem insurance was absolutely necessary!!

PS Has anyone dared to ride their EUC in B&Q yet? LOL

• 4 weeks later...

it's 34 now ? we need to get everyone to sign . freinds, family ,public i wonder if i could wheel around town and places i go ,and people that speak to me think they are so good ,icould get people to sign on the spot ,some police men would sign ,, other day police man said to me that's ace I'd go to work on that ? only if i could lol without having to worry

I've just added my signature to this too. I hope more of us can be made aware & help to move this forward.

Archived