Split second Tesla cutout

So on my way home yesterday I was almost home, just about to go down a curb to cross a road I was going maybe 10 mph max and the wheel started tilting forward like it had died and then instantly corrected itself.

Wheeling showed this:

Screenshot_20180512-084617.thumb.png.f0ad000b65e500c32496a3b48872e570.png

I kind of wrote it off as a one off, but then I went to nip round the corner in the evening and as I just started off as in literally just out my second foot on the pedal it did the same again.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I guess I'm getting to the point where I'm gonna have to open the wheel up for the first time

That spike up as high as 150amps is obviously something to be concerned/disturbed about. My Tesla spikes up high going down some kerbs where the kerb is  actually dropped down to meet the road level, but only up to around the 90amp mark. I have my Pebble set to vibrate at 90amps as a warning and it only activates in those situations (the logs show no higher than 90), as the wheel is stabilizing itself and accelerating at the same time. Were you actually dropping off a raised kerb or a substantial dip down to the road level? It would definitely be worth popping the covers off and checking the control board/cables for any signs of something amiss after a current surge that high.

38 minutes ago, Cannings said:

Not a raised one a lowered one, it was perhaps a 2cm drop

Wow, then that really is a huge spike for something only 2cm whether raised or lowered (although dips do seem to cause the worst spikes). Thought you may have been talking about dropping off a regular height kerb down to road level. Pull the covers off and check for any dis-coloured/burnt wires/components, loose connections etc. before riding the Tesla again.

The current spike (exact numbers are meaningless/not reliable, but it's a spike) is obviously from the correction movement, so it makes sense.

I'd get a new board before a real fall happens. Guess the old one is dying.

Is the wheel softer/weaker than usual? Is the board firmly in place?

Happened to me multiple times.. I live in Hungary where the roads are horrible. Road imperfections everywhere.
Twice the pedal tilted forward at low speed and then it corrected itself in about half a second.Both happened at hitting a really small road imperfection what shouldn't cause anything like this. Once it tilted backwards at high speed causing some minor injuries.
Other than that it works perfectly. I guess this is just "gotway things"...

7 hours ago, Cannings said:

So on my way home yesterday I was almost home, just about to go down a curb to cross a road I was going maybe 10 mph max and the wheel started tilting forward like it had died and then instantly corrected itself.

Wheeling showed this:

Screenshot_20180512-084617.thumb.png.f0ad000b65e500c32496a3b48872e570.png

I kind of wrote it off as a one off, but then I went to nip round the corner in the evening and as I just started off as in literally just out my second foot on the pedal it did the same again.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I guess I'm getting to the point where I'm gonna have to open the wheel up for the first time

If it was my wheel I would stop riding it. Something is clearly wrong. Either the motor (doubtful) or the control board or I suppose an intermittent wiring harness problem.

If I couldn't locate the problem, out of an abundance of caution, I would replace the control board.

1 hour ago, enGate said:

Happened to me multiple times.. I live in Hungary where the roads are horrible. Road imperfections everywhere.
Twice the pedal tilted forward at low speed and then it corrected itself in about half a second.Both happened at hitting a really small road imperfection what shouldn't cause anything like this. Once it tilted backwards at high speed causing some minor injuries.
Other than that it works perfectly. I guess this is just "gotway things"...

Any wheel can fail at anytime, but Gotways seemed to have a 1 in 7 chance, which is just too high for me, even though they offer the best bang, performance wise, for the buck. They are small shop trying to get maximum revenue, BUT, if they saw the big picture they would improve their QA and take big chunks of business from the larger vendors. Sad.

6 minutes ago, Cannings said:

well that's a figure out your ass tbh

How elegant,... a respectful way would have been to ask for the source, which turned out to be @Jason McNeil himself.

He mentioned at some point that for Gotway Teslas, there was a 15% chance of failure in the first hour ride. Given the rudeness of your comment, I won't bother digging it out.

I have also seen that comment, but I fully disagree that 15% of it failing in the first hour means that they continue to have a 1 in 7 change to fail after that. If anything its good that they either work or don't.

Also if you're too sensitive to take a comment like that you may want to avoid the internet.

If there isn't a total cutout but the wheel tilts forward/backward for a second or so after some sort of bump, it's possible that the gyroscope module on the control board is defective. That could be super dangerous if it happened at high speed.

5 hours ago, enGate said:

I guess this is just "gotway things"...

NO! This is definitely not a "just Gotway things" issue. "Just Gotway things" are early blowing boards (if you're really unlucky) or cheap screws in plastic.

If they work, GW wheels work very well. This is serious and I would NOT ignore it, that is asking for trouble. Something is wrong and it may get worse (aka sudden cutout). Ask your seller, and ultimately if you find no cause or solution, I'd replace the board.

Did you already check the insides and whether you can see anything?

1 hour ago, Cannings said:

I have also seen that comment, but I fully disagree that 15% of it failing in the first hour means that they continue to have a 1 in 7 change to fail after that. If anything its good that they either work or don't.

Also if you're too sensitive to take a comment like that you may want to avoid the internet.

Huh?:efeff54d4a: It is only good if they work. Fifteen percent arriving  DOA in the first hour is not a badge of honor. We are not picking through tomatoes here looking for good ones and happy that we indentify the rotten ones. Many will be riding that first hour. I begin to understand, however, Gotway's thinking.  The people who buy their products are looking for speed and big batteries. Get the product out there and look for ways to make the machines faster and with bigger batteries. Their targeted prospects are likely to complain among themselves about QA issues, but will keep buying, resorting to fixing problems themselves as the cost of having the "baddest wheel". 

50 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

NO! This is definitely not a "just Gotway things" issue. "Just Gotway things" are early blowing boards (if you're really unlucky) or cheap screws in plastic.

If they work, GW wheels work very well. This is serious and I would NOT ignore it, that is asking for trouble. Something is wrong and it may get worse (aka sudden cutout). Ask your seller, and ultimately if you find no cause or solution, I'd replace the board.

Did you already check the insides and whether you can see anything?

Sure I checked the internals and everything looks fine. These wheels are not tested in every single condition.Even my Inmotion V8 rebooted while riding because an app on my phone interrupted the connection with the wheel.And inmotion wheels are way better quality than the gotway ones. So who knows..

I also noticed that the wheel starts to tilt forward a bit after I ride it on really bad quality roads for a while. Reboot fixes it.

The seller told me to show him a video about the issue. It's nearly impossible to replicate it so he didn't send me a new control board. It happens every 500-600km so it's rare.

Hm you seem to have bad luck with things that should not happen. Both Inmotion and GW wheels!:efee8c29ce:

17 minutes ago, enGate said:

I also noticed that the wheel starts to tilt forward a bit after I ride it on really bad quality roads for a while. Reboot fixes it.

If you quickly rattle the wheel (like a cow grate would) that throws off the gyro and the pedals slowly tilt forward more and more. That's normal and no cause for concern. If you just brake+accelerate on smooth ground (so the pedals are level at some point) it resets that. No switching off of the wheel should be necessary.

I'd pester the seller until he sends you a new board. Does he expect you to wait (and fall) until it fully breaks???!!!:eff0541f4a: There's clearly something wrong.

I've had the same thing happen to my tesla as well, I think this is what caused to me to fall at a high speed.  Now I just baby it and don't ride about 15mph, though perhaps I should consider replacing the board?

6 minutes ago, Kevin Grandon said:

I've had the same thing happen to my tesla as well, I think this is what caused to me to fall at a high speed.  Now I just baby it and don't ride about 15mph, though perhaps I should consider replacing the board?

To be limited to 15-mph on the Tesla is sad :crying:   I sure hope it's a faulty board problem and not a latent design issue (board design or firmware bug). I suspect if it was design related we'd be seeing a lot more reported failures.

5 hours ago, em1barns said:

How elegant,... a respectful way would have been to ask for the source, which turned out to be @Jason McNeil himself.

He mentioned at some point that for Gotway Teslas, there was a 15% chance of failure in the first hour ride. Given the rudeness of your comment, I won't bother digging it out.

Some folks have invested a lot of self-esteem in the Gotway brand.  They feel personally attacked if you say something about "their" company.  :efee8319ab:

33 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

Some folks have invested a lot of self-esteem in the Gotway brand.  They feel personally attacked if you say something about "their" company.  :efee8319ab:

Personally, I have no self-esteem attached to the Gotway brand. But I sure do enjoy riding their wheels and the passion that they exhibit in producing what they do.

I have owned wheels from Kingsong, Inmotion and Gotway,

M Super V3+, Gotway Tesla and Monster 100V. Maybe I am lucky, but I tend to ride sensibly, trying not to overwork the wheels. 

I am yet to experience any problems with Gotway.

I haven't had any issues yet with my Tesla yet (knock on wood).  :innocent1:  I've only got 149 km on it though so it's still too early to tell for sure.  What's your mileage?  I haven't noticed anything unusual happen during my rides, and I go over bumps and ridges that are pretty jarring.  

I haven't dropped down any right angle curbs as this wheel is pretty hefty.   I ride it like a sportscar so I'm not aiming to go at highspeed over large bumps or do rugged off-road riding on it.

Have you ever crashed or dropped it?  Maybe there is an intermittant gyro or hall sensor fault.  Might be wise to open it up to take a look.

Oh yeah I had quite a big bang last weekend tbh which is why I want to open it up and look, it wouldn't surprise me if its completely down to that just need to know where to look really

Archived