ACM2 1300 Wh vs. KS16s for newbie?

beast@tanagra

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, US69 said:

:facepalm:

and kingsong... i have heard a few instances here and there about water getting in and dust inside...

and also one guy on fb said to me (he has kingsong) asked "did you remember to clean out the salt?...

Just now, Shad0z said:

what does that prove? 

Hey, i have an ACM and a Monster and a KS18 here NOW and had a Tesla, V3, Ks16, ks14 MY OWN....

GW Better secured from the elements? Sorry, thats not even worth discussing....My Actually ACM and Monster loosing their sidepads because third of all scres broke, or are gone or the shell is brittle and and and....

5 minutes ago, US69 said:

what does that prove? 

Hey, i have an ACM and a Monster and a KS18 here NOW and had a Tesla, V3, Ks16, ks14 MY OWN....

GW Better secured from the elements? Sorry, thats not even worth discussing....My Actually ACM and Monster loosing their sidepads because third of all scres broke, or are gone or the shell is brittle and and and....

Maybe he's comparing Gotway to wheels like the KS18S, where the air vents on the top of the wheel let water flow directly onto the control board :P

i've had an msuper v3 for a year now and i've smashed the hell out of it - still going! (haven't ridden it through any ponds though) like @meepmeepmayer said, once the components demonstrate they aren't faulty and you don't push things too hard you should be set

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Maybe he's comparing Gotway to wheels like the KS18S, where the air vents on the top of the wheel let water flow directly onto the control board :P

Yeah, exactly....with air vents that are first raised, so that no water can flow in from the side...and also bent, so that none can come from above.

Aaah wait, and then there is a fine net and then also sponge under it...if even a drop might accidently come through....

There is a video somewhere floating around, where a complete bucket of water is tossed over the top, with no result of water ingress...

Always nice to discuss with people who know what they are exactly talking about :P:P

Perhaps there is a net or a sponge under the 2 holes of the decor plastic strips on each side of the Tesla is loosely attached to, also?

Nope? :whistling:

But perhaps you, as the Gotway expert might sign or agree to Shadoz statement:

quote: „one thing to note is gw wheels are usually better sealed from the elements“

Or do you have to lough, also? ;-)

I have to relax more....time to go to bed :-)

11 hours ago, US69 said:

I am with Hunka...would be wondering if a 59volt wheel would win in any of this categories.

I am allready looking forward for your Overheat Hill test with it :-) Very excited!

Pleasant dreams!  :efeeec645d:  Schlaf gut!  

Just gonna quote that at the start of all my posts from now on.  Don't mind me.  :whistling:  Gotta go print me up some T-Shirts!  :w00t2:

Okay... taking orders... be sure to specify size and quantities when ordering.... :w00t2:

I_AM_WITH_HUNKA.jpg

I feel like i'm back in the 80s where every time I bought a new computer part or other electronics, I would leave it on for 48 straight hours with some sort of load for my "burn in" test. If it didn't fail, chances are it wouldn't fail for years. Reading these forums and watching youtube vids, under load, the GWs contacts would melt off. Just seems silly in this day and age, there's no heat sensor that GRADUALLY forces you to slow to a stop if it gets to a dangerous temp, no different than what the unit does when you hit the speed limit. A straight power cut is just plain dangerous.

Another PLUS that was mentioned here, GW has better sealing. This might be helpful if I accidentally run it off the beach path into the sand. Oh, and for the record, I have no plans to ride it though water but thanks for the vid nonetheless. 

There has been some discussion that the newer GW ACM2 has better quality.... or are these just assumptions? Has ANYONE had typical GW problems with specifically the ACM2? You know, there was a time when I would only buy Sony TVs because Samsung was CRAP. 

Here's my game plan: Buy a GW ACM2. Convince Marty take it up the Whittier Stress Hill a couple of times during the warranty period to see if it craps out. If it doesn't, I'm good to go. It will probably take me AT LEAST a couple months to get it to a point where I'm even proficient enough to put a real load on the thing.

Thanks for all the responses...  5d05044cb1b21128fa13d20383710d44.png

Hate to break this to you, but the 80's never left us.  :P  Don't you hear all the old music and see them recycling the old TV shows from that era?

Although Marty rides his wheels on beaches and through salt water, I think GW doesn't really have an upper hand in the water sealing department.  Think plastic Vtech toy, visualize how much waterproofing they design into them, and basically that's what we have to deal with.  I've been trying to strongly suggest waterproofing for ages, but no one listens to me.  :facepalm:  Most boards do have some waterproofing silicone spray on them I believe, but connectors and such are likely still susceptible to water.  You hear a few water related wheel failures every now and then along with some underwater activities (looking at you @Rehab1).  Waterproofing may have saved those wheels.

7b00f208-8fdc-4aec-a6f1-6e1fde4bf53d_tex

GW has improved in quality over the months.  Better connectors, thicker axles, improved wiring.  They are getting the message that failing wheels are not good for business and reputation.  I think if ridden within reason and understanding the limitations of these wheels for what they are, you likely can get quite a few good miles with any brand.  There will always be electronics problems in any batch though so we have to ride with protection of course.  Riding on one wheel is inherently dangerous in of itself.

If you are planning on trying to choose that "forever" wheel, don't count on it.  Most people upgrade or want another one as soon as the latest and greatest comes out.  It's like saying I want to buy a car that will last me the rest of my life.  Probably ain't gonna happen.

11 hours ago, US69 said:

Yeah, exactly....with air vents that are first raised, so that no water can flow in from the side...and also bent, so that none can come from above.

Aaah wait, and then there is a fine net and then also sponge under it...if even a drop might accidently come through....

There is a video somewhere floating around, where a complete bucket of water is tossed over the top, with no result of water ingress...

Always nice to discuss with people who know what they are exactly talking about :P:P

Perhaps there is a net or a sponge under the 2 holes of the decor plastic strips on each side of the Tesla is loosely attached to?

2 holes??? Where. I have opened my tesla 3 times now. And from what i see its pretty well sealed. There is the led strips with a small hole which leads to the control board but there is a plastic part that sits in that hole when the led strip plastic is attached. Or else there is the front holes under power button.

But usually water doesnt magically go upwards. Especially not a single small drop that was small enough to avoid the surface tension of the milimeter small holes to get through.. And then proceed to travel 20 centimeters upwards...

and i know a guy who got his control board fried in his ks18 becuase he rode in heavy rain. . .

and a few other people who i have heard about saying that their wheels had mud inside them after extreme conditions

but honesty i think both brands are somewhat equal

but i think gotway did an amazing job with the tesla and sealing it  and my silicone hack is maybe not needed because usually where i would put it the plastic just doesnt have any gap. 

4 hours ago, US69 said:

Perhaps there is a net or a sponge under the 2 holes of the decor plastic strips on each side of the Tesla is loosely attached to, also?

Nope? :whistling:

But perhaps you, as the Gotway expert might sign or agree to Shadoz statement:

quote: „one thing to note is gw wheels are usually better sealed from the elements“

Or do you have to lough, also? ;-)

I have to relax more....time to go to bed :-)

You definitely need to see the humour in the forum.  Newbs deserve what they get if they listen to bad advice and end up getting burned.  It's pretty funny. :D

Archived