ACM 1600 Anti Slip Pedal Studs

I was tired of my feet slipping off the ACM 1600 pedals in the snow so I installed stainless steel studs today. They are actually like little sharp spikes that tenaciously grip the bottom of my shoes. Zero slippage even after riding through snow. I know @EUC Extreme has used something similar on his footplates with  success so I gave it a try.  

This method could easily be adapted to all EUC pedals that have a honeycomb core with a removable metal cover. You do need to remove the anti slip tape to expose and remove the screws. 

Footplate1

39720213172_b23df37b5e_b.jpg

Once the honeycomb structure is exposed you need to mark off the center of each row of pockets between the splines. 

27973290379_1f258ff318_b.jpg

The marks are then transferred to the cover plate   to identify where the stud holes will be drilled. In this case the holes will be drilled at each intersected line.

24882409577_4486aeb36e_b.jpg

25880542818_b7010113a7_b.jpg

Each hole is then tapped and a stud screwed in. 

39720461402_31c84b6396_b.jpg

24882606457_f81e74d306_b.jpg

25880669918_0bece0fe9d_b.jpg

Acm studs

After a ride in the snow my feet never once slipped! What a secure feeling!

Acm studs

The downside of installing the studs is the magnets no longer hold up the pedals. I used a simple velcro strap to solve the problem. 

Acm studs

8 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Now wear some Safety Glasses

Safety glasses??!! He rides an EUC! Safety went out the window a LOONNGG time ago.  :D

Besides, I'm betting this is just a pose for the photo.

Nice write-up @Rehab1 So neat and tidy.  Shame about that velcro strap.  I'm sure you'll come up with a solution as neat as your pedals of death. 

8 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

That is Fantastic! Now wear some Safety Glasses when you drill metal!!! The last thing you want is a metal sliver driven into your cornea. It never goes into the weaker eye.;)

Thanks. The drill was on slow RPM but your right. Sorry for the double post. Not sure why.  Hopefully a moderator can remove the duplicate post. 

10 hours ago, Smoother said:

Nice write-up @Rehab1 So neat and tidy.  Shame about that velcro strap.  I'm sure you'll come up with a solution as neat as your pedals of death. 

Thanks. The strap is not a big issue right now. The spikes are so sharp that they are leaving small indentations in my ankle pads so that might be the next issue that needs to be resolved.  Hope to get to the removal of your KS14C axle in the next few days. 

Fantastic project. Looks very medieval:efef015fe0: And the spikes damaging the shell was predictable, surprised you didn't add a new side pad right from the start. But knowing how slippery snow on the pedals makes riding, this is perfect against that. Just don't ride barefooted:efee8319ab:

Do the spikes have a counter-nut or something similar, or are they just screwed into the plate?

Glad you found another DIY project to occupy your urges:efeebb3acc: But obviously you need a bigger one. I'm thinking, maybe we here should devise something (EUC-related, of course) for you to enjoy building. Win-win situation for both sides! Now we just need an idea...

44 minutes ago, Chriull said:

@Rehab1 "Not sure why there was a double post. Sorry! I attempted to remove it with no result.  Moderators: any ideas? Option tab does not show up. "

Don't know - i just hid the duplicate for you.

Thank you kindly. 

19 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Fantastic project. Looks very medieval:efef015fe0: And the spikes damaging the shell was predictable, surprised you didn't add a new side pad right from the start. But knowing how slippery snow on the pedals makes riding, this is perfect against that. Just don't ride barefooted:efee8319ab:

Thanks! I can easily make new side pads when necessary. I played around adding an additional magnet to strenghten the closure but there is now to great of width between the pedal and side plate. 

39761864961_d78562ccde_b.jpg

Do the spikes have a counter-nut or something similar, or are they just screwed into the plate?

Just screwed at the moment. I may use a impact driver to flatten the protruding studs on the other side for security.

Glad you found another DIY project to occupy your urges:efeebb3acc: But obviously you need a bigger one. I'm thinking, maybe we here should devise something (EUC-related, of course) for you to enjoy building. Win-win situation for both sides! Now we just need an idea...

Working on removing  my wife’s KS 14C axle to send to Smoother. Lots of ideas. Not sure what BIG is considered in your book. ;)

54 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

BIG = not done in a day or a few days. Like your awesome ACM upgrading, or bigger. I just noticed you seem to be enjoying (and needing) projects to do:efee8319ab:

Interested in my bathroom remodel? I can place a few wheels in there as a EUC project segway. ;)

28 minutes ago, EUC Extreme said:

If you slip on your feet yet, I am Stig :w00t2:

Your feet are always locked in place so no slippage for you.  Yes the mysterious rider with no face.  :ph34r: I actually like the new Grand Tour lady driver better than Stig. You can atleast see a portion of her face. 

What's the big deal about holes in your ankle pads?  Ram those suckers closed and let the ankle pads hold them closed by gripping the spikes.  The holes would be uniform so who's to say they aren't supposed to be there?

19 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

25880542818_b7010113a7_b.jpg

Wow. Great article. I love how you took the approach of actually tapping each hole. Then you can remove these in fair weather and just slap a new piece of non-slip material on for spring/summer/fall riding.

:cheers:

That lab coats really gives you an air of authority (or mad scientist) :D

4 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

@Rehab1 looks good, but to be honest, all these spikes scare me a little. Besides snow/ mud I feel like grip tape works best.

Yes I prefer the grip tape as well but unfortunately after falling 5 times recently from my snow laden feet slipping off the pedals I needed to find a better way to anchor my feet.

I wish my state’s climate was like @Marty Backe‘s playground but it’s not. Riding with boots will help protect my feet and ankles but spikes or no spikes there’s always going to be some risk riding these machines.   ;)

1 hour ago, Steve Persona said:

Hate to see a crash and the wheel spin up with those on. Looks to dangerous to me , would rather have my foot slip off than get hit with a gotway spinning with road warrior studs. Gotta give him credit for the idea though.

Hate to see me crash as well.  :wacko:Dangerous.... probably ...flying a homebuilt helicopter and crashing....totally nuts.

On 1/18/2018 at 4:32 PM, Marty Backe said:

Wow. Great article. I love how you took the approach of actually tapping each hole. Then you can remove these in fair weather and just slap a new piece of non-slip material on for spring/summer/fall riding.

Thanks Marty. I have a unique tool that can easily tap holes and quickly reverse direction using a drill press. Doing it strickly by hand would have been onerous.

28008371859_9e8d1aa61f_b.jpg

i actually have another set of pedals. Jason happen to have a sale on them. 

On 1/18/2018 at 4:32 PM, Marty Backe said:

That lab coats really gives you an air of authority (or mad scientist) :D

The downside of trying to perform mods between seeing patients is that my lab coats take a beating,  Once I forgot to change into a new coat before seeing a kiddo and I was mortified after realizing my coat had grease all over the crotch area. :o

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

my coat had grease all over the crotch area. :o

:roflmao: Oops.  Try explaining that and be believed.

About those spikes.  When pedal attack (sounds like a scary documentary) they attack with the edge, not the top.  I would be willing to bet those spikes will never get you, unless you wheel in your sleep, or try to do @Hirsute style handstands.  ouch ! I think you made the right decision.

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks Marty. I have a unique tool that can easily tap holes and quickly reverse direction using a drill press. Doing it strickly by hand would have been onerous.

28008371859_9e8d1aa61f_b.jpg

i actually have another set of pedals. Jason happen to have a sale on them. 

The downside of trying to perform mods between seeing patients is that my lab coats take a beating,  Once I forgot to change into a new coat before seeing a kiddo and I was mortified after realizing my coat had grease all over the crotch area. :o

In another life (high school and college kid) I did lots of mechanical and machining work in a small company. Used a taping accessory like that on the drill press, and probably tapped thousands of holes over the handful of years that I worked there. This is why I envy your machine tools. Someday I may have a bigger workshop where I can allocate space for machine shop. Until then I can enjoying looking over your shoulder :D

11 hours ago, Smoother said:

Oops.  Try explaining that and be believed.

The kids don’t care and lucky the parents had a good sense of humor. 

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Someday I may have a bigger workshop where I can allocate space for machine shop. Until then I can enjoying looking over your shoulder :D

You can use my shop any time. :)

11 hours ago, Smoother said:

I would be willing to bet those spikes will never get you, unless you wheel in your sleep, or try to do @Hirsute style handstands.  ouch ! I think you made the right decision.

I am so confident that I won’t be gored by my pedals that I’ve decided to start fabricating some Gothic themed wrist guards and helmet. :wacko:

38896532455_2b7cc0fe5e_b.jpg

28016962129_009994b55b_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

i know im late but im thinking of doing this mod maybe.. but also if i just replace the grip tape...

i dont know what is happening but my tesla griptape is getting dark spots where its smooth and it is very slowly getting bigger and bigger

so is it a bad griptape on the pedals? or just only me experiencing this

14 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

i know im late but im thinking of doing this mod maybe.. but also if i just replace the grip tape...

i dont know what is happening but my tesla griptape is getting dark spots where its smooth and it is very slowly getting bigger and bigger

so is it a bad griptape on the pedals? or just only me experiencing this

Grip tape wears out on everything, eventually.  Get some more from a Skateboard shop, or maybe cheaper - a hardware store.  Get some double sided tape as well. If you want to experiment, get some tape that is stuck to a thin layer of foam (about 2-3mm) it might give you a less harsh ride.

33 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Grip tape wears out on everything, eventually.  Get some more from a Skateboard shop, or maybe cheaper - a hardware store.  Get some double sided tape as well. If you want to experiment, get some tape that is stuck to a thin layer of foam (about 2-3mm) it might give you a less harsh ride.

hmm sounds like a good idea... with the foam but i think i will look for some more rough griptape so it grips more 

and if i cant find any with foam under i can try just putting foam under it myslf

8 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

hmm sounds like a good idea... with the foam but i think i will look for some more rough griptape so it grips more 

and if i cant find any with foam under i can try just putting foam under it myslf

Sorry, that's what I meant: "get some double-sided tape with foam, not grip tape with foam.  I'll try to write more clearly.

Archived