IPS Xima LHOTZ 340 Wh Review

WayneZengAU

It is about the volume of a microwave. or a clothes dryer. It sounds most like an electric golf cart or a scooter. It isn't quite as loud as a vacuum cleaner or a blender.

That's a tough question to answer intelligently without a decibel meter.

Here is a short video of the unicycle powering up and going to max speed/continuous beep because I am holding it off the ground.

https://vimeo.com/user28988252/ximamotor

IPS 191 Xima motor noise

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is about the volume of a microwave. or a clothes dryer. It sounds most like an electric golf cart or a scooter. It isn't quite as loud as a vacuum cleaner or a blender.

That's a tough question to answer intelligently without a decibel meter.

Here is a short video of the unicycle powering up and going to max speed/continuous beep because I am holding it off the ground.

https://vimeo.com/user28988252/ximamotor

IPS 191 Xima motor noise

Thank You. This is very telling. A Little louder than I expected. With some turbo-sound to it. Gives the impression of power. 

Quite like that sound. Nice and aggressive without being irritating.

If only there had been an easy way of getting an LHOTZ in the uk with decent support and not having to deal with Tony, the EUC world's answer to Pablo Escobar, I would've gone with this one. ?

If only there had been an easy way of getting an LHOTZ in the uk with decent support and not having to deal with Tony, the EUC world's answer to Pablo Escobar, I would've gone with this one. ?

Yeah, seeing the experience on other threads, I'm not feeling too confident about how it would go if I tried buying one.

I keep wavering between this and the King Song 16.

Quite like that sound. Nice and aggressive without being irritating.

Is Germany too far away? Electro-Sport seems to be a good reseller. They have the Lhotz. Payment with Paypal.

Is Germany too far away? Electro-Sport seems to be a good reseller. They have the Lhotz. Payment with Paypal.

OleTC, you may just be a God among men.

Is this a reputable seller?? Thankfully I cancelled my e+ order as was considering whether to wait for the P or go for a King Song.

But my heart has been with the LHOTZ since I saw I first saw it.....

paddylaz, I have mailed them once with a question about a batterypack. They answered polite and fast. They seem to cooperate with 1Rad Werkstatt in Berlin about technical issues.

Check their YouTube channel.

Maybe others have dealed with them. The Paypal protection should be OK.

• 5 months later...

I saw quite some vids of people doing tricks, but never on LHOTZ. I'm trying to do some tricks myself and I notice that changing from forward to backward, whether idling or with a spin, is cumbersome. It growls and resists. Unfortunately I have never been able to try this on other wheels. I saw a video of someone doing tricks on the IPS Zero and those transitions looked smooth.
Any of you have experience?

Yes I tried on my brother's IPS zero and it is much easier to turn and idle. You can also do it on the Lhotz but it is not very smooth, I find it a lot harder and can only idle for a few seconds. However, for riding long distances I do prefer the Lhotz, it's a monster machine!

On 24/03/2016 at 5:40 PM, Mihar said:

Personally I do not have problems with idling or sharp turns using Lhotz. It takes time to master of course (1-2 weeks in my case). Be sure that the tire pressure is more than 40 psi, low tire pressure makes tricks more difficult.

That's better than my idling, but I see the same pattern: The first few idles are smooth and then it tends to become irregular and hard to really stay on the same place.
I'd love to try the Zero.

• 2 months later...
On 7.10.2015 at 8:33 AM, Villac said:

Tire is wonderful! A fat luxurious 2.5 inches. It showed up at 30 psi and I increased it to 40.

I use 50 psi, and even at this high pressure the 2.5 inch tire feels luxuriously comfortable.

On 10.8.2015 at 0:01 PM, Gabriel said:

this model that looks very reliable, stable and silent

It is definitely reliable and stable. It is not silent, though. It makes a whining sound that is noticeably louder than the IPS121. However, it is not loud enough to be annoying.

the standing surface is painted very smooth and almost slippery. (I need to apply skateboard deck friction tape!)

Mine came with nice friction tape pre-installed. The pedals are slightly angled toward the unicycle body, like a very shallow V. This results in a very comfortable, stable foot position.

The case has chrome metallic lettering on it: "Shanghai Xima Lhotz", This was weakly stuck and began falling off immediately

In my case also, the lettering began to come off on the very first day! Very disappointing for an otherwise top-quality wheel.

On 10.8.2015 at 0:01 PM, Gabriel said:

have you the impression that the advertised 2,5" wide tire brings more riding comfort in comparison to the other wheels that you tried ?

The 2.5 tire definitely adds riding comfort. Even at 50 psi, I notice a superior comfort compared to the 2.125 on my IPS121.

On 10.8.2015 at 5:07 AM, WayneZengAU said:

pedals are pretty standard, but have this weird opening/closing mechanism that doesn't rely on magnets. It requires a little more force to pull them down and up but this has yet to be an annoyance

I wish IPS would have used magnets for the 191. Magnets make the pedals easy to flip up and down quickly, especially with my foot. The IPS191 uses a friction-based method to keep the pedals in the folded up position. In addition to making the pedals harder to move up and down (because they are stiff rather than moving freely like magnet-based pedals), I am concerned that the 191 pedals will gradually loosen and not stay reliably in the folded up position.

On 10.8.2015 at 5:07 AM, WayneZengAU said:

10/10 Would buy again

My rating is also 10/10. I would buy the IPS191 again without hesitation.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 4:02 AM, Jurgen said:

Just image you would be running with this Chinese publicity on your wheel every day, for years and years to come ;)

I don't mind a manufacturer identification on my wheel. To me it is similar to letters attached to a car saying "Honda Accord," for example.

After riding my IPS191 several consecutive days, I wondered how it would feel to return to the IPS121. It was great. I love the modern style, excellent performance, and comfortable ride of the 191. The 121 has the traditional style with the battery box on top, excellent performance, and only very slightly less comfortable ride. Someone who prefers the modern style or who rides off-road probably would more strongly prefer the 191. I prefer the 191. But for me, since I don't ride off-road and I don't mind traditional style, I love the 191 and 121 almost equally. Both are excellent hill climbers. I give both IPS191 and IPS121 a 10/10 rating.

• 1 month later...

I did purchase my Lhotz on the early days of January and can't complain. The only thing is that it's heavy for a only 4x weight rider to jump over roots or curbs, maybe Zero would be better even though it has only 14x2.125 tire. But the 2.5" is superior! I feel it hard to switch fort and back still after half a year, but I like the pedal mechanism, it's so easy to leave it lean to some tree, ready to go. And I already got 27 km single charge, still wasn't empty but started to continuously beep and harsh tilt back already at around 12-15 kph, annoying! 

• 2 months later...
On 9 October 2015 at 2:04 PM, MrBump said:

Yeah, seeing the experience on other threads, I'm not feeling too confident about how it would go if I tried buying one.

I keep wavering between this and the King Song 16.

I got mine direct from Runrui at IPS. Couldn't have been simpler or easier. Excellent customer service and arrived within a couple of weeks as i recall. I'd have no hesitation about buying direct from them. 

Swoop Daddy, nice video, seems like you were leaning fwd too much on that face plant? What do you think caused it?

I would be wary of taking up too much space on the roads. Even if it looks cool on the video it's just a matter of one accident and you'll start getting local restrictions enforced. I heard they were already banned in some Chinese cities. I am also really weary when riding on busy pathways as it only takes one person to run into you and the reputation of the unicycles will start going downhill as "dangerous". 

You can see him hitting a crack in the road, while going round that curve, and as the wheel hits it, it starts to wobble around the z-axis, ultimately throwing off the rider. Maybe with less forward lean he would habe been able to control the wheel better, who knows? By the way, I think he handled the faceplant perfectly. Just put all the pads you wear on the ground and slide it out. No trying to walk out of it, which woud be quite risky at that speed, thats how ankle or knee injuries happen.

I just recieved my brand new Lhotz, been riding it a little, and i want to comment on some statements made in this thread. I bought two units from Tony (ipselectricunicycle.com) and payed 1360€, including shipping, taxes and custom fees, which translates to 680€/wheel. I don't think that there is any wheel at this price out there, that can come close to the lhotz in terms of power, speed, safety and build quality/durability.

First, this is my first EUC, and the only one i have ridden, so i can't compare it to others. But I am very impressed by it's capabillities, especially going through rougher terrain.

Someone earlier on complained about the pedals beeing to slippery. Mine came with some red griptape on the pedals. After the first mounts/dismounts it already startet to peel off, for beeing more in the style of selfglueing sanding paper than proper grip tape. So I removed it completely. As I read about slippery pedals earlier on in this thread, I got myself some skateboad grip tape, but i don't think I will apply it, as for me the pedals are without any grip tape quite nice and grippy. I think that grip tape will only hinder me adjusting my feet position while riding.

The newer versionof the lhotz has been upgraded to the light system of the Zero, so you get multicolour LEDs all around, and the same light modes as on the Zero. I wrote about the behaviour of that in another Thread:

7 hours ago, Slaughthammer said:

I got myself some skateboad grip tape, but i don't think I will apply it, as for me the pedals are without any grip tape quite nice and grippy. I think that grip tape will only hinder me adjusting my feet position while riding.

You aren't wrong @Slaughthammer - my supplied grip-ish tape didn't last much longer than the adhesive lettering. And I have replaced it with more industrial grip tape, which makes it quite challenging to reposition your feet.

While you are learning it may be easier to carry on as you are. But when you are more experienced, it can be useful when you are on rough terrain, or at full speed. 

I have made a template of the cutout, which I will post (when I find it), in case you change your mind. 

Hi Guys, The steel pedals seem good enough in my Lhotz without any tape. It is an absolute machine. Once you go past 1000 km, the odometer goes back to zero and you'll have to unlock the speed limit again. I agree that it is very sturdy and great for bumps and rough terrain. I don't like that it is about 14 kg compared to the 10 kg of the zero but it feels smooth and responds quite well so I am happy after all.

Archived