Would you buy an EUC that could go 100kmh?

exoplanet

If you could buy an euc that could go 100 kmh 'safely' with tiltback, sufficient power and comfort, would you buy it? and how fast would you dare to ride on the best stretches of road on your daily drives?

I would personally go at 40 mostly and slow down often. I would ride 60 some times. I would not push 100 even if i could. or maybe I would and if I fell i could just spread my arms and fly away with a wing suit. lol.

I wouldn't even buy one which goes 50, because I wouldn't live long enough to really enjoy it.:)

Because I limited myself to 16" wheels, I believe my personal limit on them is around 35, possibly 40, but definitely not more.

An EUC can easily fail by itself, it is no bicycle (I drive down with the mountainbike on a steep grass slope with 80 km/h, maybe on a steep road I would do 100 with a bicycle, I never tried that).

I would buy it as long as it has the proper safety measures to turn off quickly if it senses a fall onto its side.  I'd buy one that goes 200 kph.  I would know that having that extra safety speed capability would allow me to ride at 20-35 KPH safely without fear of a cut-out.  People buy motorcycles and cars that can go 200 kph any day of the week, but unless you're on the Autobahn like @meepmeepmayer you wouldn't drive at that speed.  On a EUC, wind, road conditions, and lack of safety measures that can protect the rider at those speeds would prevent even reaching them.

But you know there will be people out there who would want to try to ride at 100 KPH on one wheel.  There's plenty of Evel Knievals out there.  :efefe00999:

That would be just nonsense....

Maximum "nice and acceptable" crusing speed is about 30--35kmh...proved by various meetings and group rides!

Also the wind resistance gets crazy...and standing on pedals, without any attachments or more hold (like an motorbike) makes all driving above 40kmh just ridiculous!

Thats just no speed for that kind of device.

9 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Also the wind resistance gets crazy...and standing on pedals, without any attachments or more hold (like an motorbike) makes all driving above 40kmh just ridiculous!

Thats just no speed for that kind of device.

It could work from driving point of view, if somebody is crazy enough to upgrade the below kind of wheel with the necessary power and motor, but it would be nothing for me:

2 hours ago, exoplanet said:

why is 35 the upper limit do you think? is it vibration or power of the wheel or safety when falling?

I put my limit around 35 kmh as well, as 32 kmh things get sketchy. Like up to 28 kmh things are smooth but above that very slight imperfections makes my wheel lurch a lot. 

My 18 incher feels significantly faster before feeling sketchy whereas my 14 incher is much lower, so I guess wheel size makes a huge difference in speed stability.

5 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Maximum "nice and acceptable" crusing speed is about 30--35kmh...proved by various meetings and group rides!

Not to start a holy war; we are all of course entitled to our own opinions.

But: Many of us ride safely, and with courtesy and respect for others, at speeds regularly well in excess of your "acceptable" speed limit. We all use our wheels under different conditions and environments, and even the most adventurous of riders do so with the expectation they will survive the experience.

Now, about a 100kph wheel. It's difficult for me to imagine the form factor and specifications of a wheel that could approach 100kph, yet I could admire — if not partake in — the numerous advances that would be needed to enable such a wheel to exist.

It would be a cool exercise to model a 100kph wheel to determine the motor power, battery capacity, and overall weight that would be required. My guess is that the energy required to propel an upright rider (assuming no aero) on a wheel at that velocity for any reasonable range would be prohibitive, and any resulting device would need to take on a form factor so different from our existing wheels that it would essentially be a different device.

7 hours ago, exoplanet said:

why is 35 the upper limit do you think? is it vibration or power of the wheel or safety when falling?

I dont mean it is the last upper limit...more that this or perhaps even 40kmh is the last "comfortable" riding zone!

I have gone faster, yip, but it gets sketchy...you have to fight against wind...as you are standing front to the wind, with only your feet standing on some small pedal, not airodynamic leaning like on a motorbike with two wheels.

Also bumps lift your feet up from the pedal, thats all no fun anymore on over 40kmh....

Yes, you can drive faster...geared up like crazy...concentrating like crazy on the road, just for the purpose of driving fast for some seconds.

But it just isnt the right speed for that machines.

Imho!

Maybe it's just my age but I'm happiest cruising at 20->25kph. I have eucs that can easily go a lot faster and have tried faster speeds on occasion just for test purposes but I know the maximum speed that I have at least a chance of keeping my feet under me during an unplanned dismount.

With only one wheel under you any minor fault or problem (something that can affect any mechanical devise no matter how well it's put together)  is instantly catastrophic and I do not wish to become a candidate for the Darwin awards! :)

10 hours ago, exoplanet said:

No technical reasons.

It is a combination of the type of falling (very different from motor biking on 2 wheels), and the probability that such a sudden fall may happen.

On a motor bike you recognize a dangerous situation, your body reacts already before your brain, you are already sitting in a quite closed position, which will let you glide or roll sidewards. And it is very unlikely that you just fall for seemingly no reason.

On an EUC the latter may happen easily without warning, just because a wire or mosfet burns, or the motherboard has a cold solder joint, absolutely no time to react.

And you are not sitting in a half closed position, but standing upright, vulnerable to just any flat crash of the whole body to the ground, especially because you often have a leaning forward position.

So as others already said, this is a device for bicycle speeds, lets say up to 40 km/h, though comfort zone would be between 20 and 30, and even that only if you are an experienced driver.

I'm just waiting for the first severe accident, when some idiot rides with speed into a pedestrian group and severely hurts some or even worse. Then you can be sure, that we all will be in big trouble, and the wisenheimers will call for laws to restrict these promising devices to a degree which makes them less than useful.

6 hours ago, Gimlet said:

Maybe it's just my age but I'm happiest cruising at 20->25kph. I have eucs that can easily go a lot faster and have tried faster speeds on occasion just for test purposes but I know the maximum speed that I have at least a chance of keeping my feet under me during an unplanned dismount.

With only one wheel under you any minor fault or problem (something that can affect any mechanical devise no matter how well it's put together)  is instantly catastrophic and I do not wish to become a candidate for the Darwin awards! :)

My cruising speed is a little higher than yours (29km/h), but I too feel most comfortable at the lower speeds. Periodically I may cruise at up to 36km/h, but that's for relatively short bursts.

Speed kills, as the saying goes. Not that I'm afraid of being killed. But the higher the speed the worse the injuries, on average.

1 minute ago, exoplanet said:

Would a safety wheel work? the wheel fails and then you land on an extra back or front wheel and coast to a stop... the extra wheel might need a motor as well, though.

You mean something like a two wheeled electric vehicle?:lol:

Joking aside, a tiny wheel that snap deploys forward in the event of a failure could work, especially if it could be used in conjunction with a tiny reserve battery that'd give you a last gasp burst of speed, otherwise you'd still fall.

A reverse penny-farthing bicycle that deploys at very high speeds but self folds into an EUC might make 100kmh safer. Not safe but safer.

1 hour ago, exoplanet said:

... the extra wheel might need a motor as well, though.

Not necessarily. The wheel will stay up by itself. The front helper wheel would only be there to avoid you falling over to the front. Then again, think about how this would work in practice. In case of an overlean or cut out, how much time does the euc have to deploy that helper wheel to avoid you falling over? It would need some airbag-alike technology to deploy it fast enough. Don't see that happening anytime soon :D 

1 minute ago, ir_fuel said:

Not necessarily. The wheel will stay up by itself. The front helper wheel would only be there to avoid you falling over to the front. Then again, think about how this would work in practice. In case of an overlean or cut out, how much time does the euc have to deploy that helper wheel to avoid you falling over? It would need some airbag-alike technology to deploy it fast enough. Don't see that happening anytime soon :D 

That would be nice!

An airbag, which explodes with a big booom when the wheel cuts out, and one falls safely on a soft balloon. I like that, the guys who make the avalanche airbags could try to build something like that. :lol:

But that one would be to slow:

When I rode mountain bike, I would constantly cruse 25-35 km depending on terrain, sense I dont have to pedal,  I love cruising 40-45 (considering surroundings ). Stretch of road with no people/ cars I'll push it, if people around I'll slow down. But there is times where I would love to push 60-70 km/h SAFELY....

If New 100v monster can do 70 km/h, Im in :) , Will I be riding at that speed, no way, but will I from time to time, absolutely. Wear proper gear, pay attention to road conditions and your surroundings and you should be just fine.

Yes.

If only because that means it's going to have great reserves and will be super hardware-safe at speeds <40 km/h!

22 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

I thought so too. But now I'm constantly running into my speed limit set 30 km/h on my ACM (I'm telling myself I won't be removing that before I have a helmet, but we'll see how long I can stay strong) on dirt paths for bikes (aka some bumpy stuff, puddles, ...). 35 would also easily be doable there, the ACM is super stable. 50 km/h on a real road would be no problem as well (in terms of how safe it feels and is), I guess.

Maybe it's because I'm wearing more clothes and a (soft) hat now due to weather and that makes you feel safer? Almost afraid to use a helmet now, might make me go irresponsibly fast:D

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I thought so too. But now I'm constantly running into my speed limit set 30 km/h on my ACM ...

I understand that, it's the same with my KS16B. But I believe somewhere between 30 and 40 km/h is the comfort limit of a 16" wheel.

At the moment I believe that the KS16S would be the optimal wheel for me, because it would allow me to cruise around 30 km/h without beeping.

I hope  I can meet @Chriull in Vienna during the first week of october, because he will let me try it. :cheers:

Have the same issue here. In the beginning I had the speed limit set at 25km/h on my V8.

Now I am at 28-29km/h cruising speed...

I need more wheels and sell the V8:

For normal road riding and shopping trips: bigger diameter = more stability, and more speed is wanted. So maybe KS18L once that arrives? (don't know how big the difference between 16 and 18 is tbh). Maybe a Rockwheel GT16 will suffice in that case. 40 km/h cruising + extra protection of course

For off-road: 16" wheel but with lots of torque. High top speed not important. You're not going to do 40 km/h in the forest. KingSong KS16S? 

For urban/crowded environments: smaller = better, lots of start/stop, high speed not important, sometimes need to carry: Gotway Mten3 seems like a good choice. Not a lot of extra protection required as only low speeds because of too crowded environment

aarrgg :wacko:

Isn't it simply amazing that we are even discussing this?  Riding balanced on a single wheel moving at high speeds?  How is this even possible?

Just try taking a baseball bat and balance it on your palm so it stands straight up.  Now try running as fast as you can forwards while still keeping it in balance.  Stop and go and vary your speed now and then and run over small bumps.  See how fast you can make it without it falling... :whistling:

For those nitpickers, okay fine, add two side walls so the bat doesn't fall side to side and just concentrate on preventing it from falling forwards and backwards...

Archived