63 old guinea pig

novazeus

3 minutes ago, novazeus said:

so today i start. today was me and Bob’s third trip to the dog park that has all of these great areas surrounding it for learning. naturally my tax dollars don’t work for me because they have signs posted. so before discovering the ban on everything, since i had put on my high tops instead of flip flops, i did about 30’ before stepping off and i’m the most proud of holding the wheel with my right foot after stepping off.

so didn’t even try at the park, it was extraordinary busy(probably need to go around noon) and came home and tried a little homemade jig to get more of a taste of it. not really counting this as a full on attempt at learning because i never donned safety gear.

at least i moved the 9bot, hightops, safety gear to the truck, that was huge. need to clean up the rear so it can be the euc storage. maybe tmrw i’ll move the kingsongs out there.

6D7548D3-9D50-4E2B-BDA3-B22FE5E90D0C.jpeg

2637FA4C-4E37-4739-A5D6-93914A12A75A.jpeg

That looks like it would work pretty good, almost like practicing in a hallway.  The weather looks like it is cooling off a little, too.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@steve454 @Hunka Hunka Burning Love yeah for taking literally ten minutes to erect the sawhorses and grab some 2x4s out of the pasture, it worked pretty good. better than i thought. might add another 16’ tmrw if i can do16’ without touching. 

ideally what i want was poles about 15’, 30’, 60’ apart, so i could flounder until the next pole.  so maybe tmrw i’ll try the park again, cause like u say, it doesn’t say euc’s. not that i’d want to rollerblade around their stupid park but beginners might wanna learn there and that’s a dick move if u ask me, no rollerblades, i guess regular skates are ok. typical government bullshit. i don’t own any rollerblades anyway, i have inline skates. so stupid.

i’d rather learn at the park. if something happens out here at the ranch, buzzards would eat me before i came to. when u live isolated from humans, u gotta think a little different. 

yes, it is getting cooler and unfortunately dryer. 

i think i’m on to something here, too early to tell, but this dual handrail system of getting people on euc’s might be a very simple solution. 

i’ve only done a couple of minutes but weather permitting, i’ll go again today. like the kid’s game operation, the idea is to be able to go 15’ without touching the 2x4’s. that’s mounting, forward 15’, stop, reverse 15’. no touch. 

u could electrify the handrails for a mild shock for beginners and ascending voltage as the student progresses for quicker learning. obviously i’m in no hurry. 

i’m excited because i think i could get gfs on the s1 between the rails without them getting frustrated or injured.

keep in mind, i’m trying to devise a way that will alleviate face plants, ankle bites, mental anguish etc etc but still give the student a feel for the device. 

i feel safe getting started without using any protective gear because my hands(in  gloves for splinters) are millimeters above the 2x4’s. 

too soon to tell, but if i had a store, i’d have a permanent two handrail track around the store and when somebody came in and wanted to try it, put them in the rails.

67436F7D-7A2C-497D-AB29-3EE3522BFDE1.jpeg

i’m thinking about getting this or something like this because carrying packages back from the road might take too long to learn, plus this might aid in “safely learning” the wheel. even segway suggested a shopping cart in a video somewhere for learning. 

01F837EA-EF66-46EA-B546-F6DEAF00C9DC.jpeg

16 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i’m thinking about getting this or something like this because carrying packages back from the road might take too long to learn, plus this might aid in “safely learning” the wheel. even segway suggested a shopping cart in a video somewhere for learning. 

And it's something you can use (by itself) for the next 20 years too! 

34 minutes ago, novazeus said:

I think that I've lost the thread. Where are you in the spectrum of riding a wheel, between day dreaming about it and doing tricks, and what's holding you back if anything?

16 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

And it's something you can use (by itself) for the next 20 years too! 

i will be 64 in april if i make it. i wish i knew about these things when i broke my ankle 7 years ago. i’m sure it would have healed better than me hopping around on it. this is for fattys. 8 inch wheels, 500 lb capacity. extra wide. might be the way to go walking Bob down to the road and especially bringing packages back. a little more work for the motor and battery but would take load off the already underated tires. i think i’m gonna try it. might be real handy. plus if it feels safe to me it might be a good way to give my gfs a feel for the wheels without a chance of them hurting themselves. 

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I think that I've lost the thread. Where are you in the spectrum of riding a wheel, between day dreaming about it and doing tricks, and what's holding you back if anything?

i’m never doing tricks. idk what gave u that idea. tricks are for kids and u marty. i’m just trying to figure out how to learn this the smart way without trips to the er. i’m not a fan of doctors. haven’t seen one since 2014 when they gave me three months to live. if i was to ever have fun with a wheel, it will involve a young, hot gf or Bob. i’d ask u for advice on learning but u banged urself up. i want lessons from someone who learned without hurting themselves. u probably push a pencil, i’m feeding a dozen fifty pound bags of feed a day plus other physically demanding tasks. i don’t have an option to call in sick, i work 7 days a week. i doubt even u could walk Bob on ur wheel, not sure if u could walk him off ur wheel. remember? Bob is the only reason i have any interest at all in these devices. 

i laugh when i look at the photo thread and i see everybody taking stills of their wheels in scenic locations. just strikes me funny.

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

i’m never doing tricks. idk what gave u that idea. tricks are for kids and u marty. i’m just trying to figure out how to learn this the smart way without trips to the er. i’m not a fan of doctors. haven’t seen one since 2014 when they gave me three months to live. if i was to ever have fun with a wheel, it will involve a young, hot gf or Bob. i’d ask u for advice on learning but u banged urself up. i want lessons from someone who learned without hurting themselves. u probably push a pencil, i’m feeding a dozen fifty pound bags of feed a day plus other physically demanding tasks. i don’t have an option to call in sick, i work 7 days a week. i doubt even u could walk Bob on ur wheel, not sure if u could walk him off ur wheel. remember? Bob is the only reason i have any interest at all in these devices. 

i laugh when i look at the photo thread and i see everybody taking stills of their wheels in scenic locations. just strikes me funny.

:D Of course I knew you weren't going to do tricks (I don't either BTW). I was providing a range of your ability and was asking you to place yourself within that range. So you're still in "deciding when to do it" phase.

You don't get the photo thread because this is not a hobby (which really isn't the right word, I prefer passion) for you, as you've said time and time again. It will hopefully fulfill a very practical need and that's it.

I push pencils. I really think that anyone who depends on their body (throwing bags of feed, surgeon, etc.) to feed themselves and their family should not be riding an EUC unless you have great insurance that will pay the bills while you recover for a couple of months. That's only being responsible. Considering how often you circle back to depending on your physical health to survive, it mystifies me why you're will to put in on the line by learning to ride an EUC. No disrespect of course :)

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

:D Of course I knew you weren't going to do tricks (I don't either BTW). I was providing a range of your ability and was asking you to place yourself within that range. So you're still in "deciding when to do it" phase.

You don't get the photo thread because this is not a hobby (which really isn't the right word, I prefer passion) for you, as you've said time and time again. It will hopefully fulfill a very practical need and that's it.

I push pencils. I really think that anyone who depends on their body (throwing bags of feed, surgeon, etc.) to feed themselves and their family should not be riding an EUC unless you have great insurance that will pay the bills while you recover for a couple of months. That's only being responsible. Considering how often you circle back to depending on your physical health to survive, it mystifies me why you're will to put in on the line by learning to ride an EUC. No disrespect of course :)

yeah, living in a cargo container( i’m not talking some converted cargo container into a tiny home, i mean a plain old cargo container) in the middle of the woods, in the middle of 325 acres, by yourself, does present challenges most humans will never encounter. factor in taking care of a hundred plus animals and fending off humans that think tearing down my fences is great fun, and my son Bob who is a fun, full time job, all the while talking real estate to brokers and developers. sprinkle in terminal cancer and me acting as my own doctor and self medicating. not in pain from the cancer but i do have modulating issues with the most radiation u can give a human without killing them immediately( they figured i’d be dead in a few months, so why not ) and dealing with that, does make it hard to block off time for anything other than putting out fires.

it’s finally starting to look like winter here, starting today. the good news is, what little grass i had in my pastures, will be flat as a pancake, suitable for euc tires, bad news, i have to feed hay and bag feed daily, which costs me more time and $150 a day.

today i’ll be moving the euc’s over to the old delapidated homestead garage so they’ll be convenient to my road. getting in and out of mine and Bob’s compound requires me climbing up a ladder and down a ladder on the outside. the 9bot and ks-16s aren’t too bad toting over but u wouldn’t wanna do the ks-18s too much like that. i’ve only had one opportunity to use my 2x4 sawhorse handrails, but i think that will work for me. i’ve been to the dog park 3 times with Bob doing recon each time looking for the best place in the park to learn but haven’t actually pulled the euc out there yet because of kids and soccer teams etc. after the rain we got dries out over there, the ball fields might be a good place for grass learning. it would be nice being around people if something went wrong, somebody would find me, at the ranch, i could be dead for months.

idk if u have ever run a cattle ranch by yourself, but it is the most dangerous occupation in the usa.  so risks are part of the gig. you can’t act like a child out here. i fell the other day doing some bs, and naturally caught myself with my left wrist, which was already hurting, so naturally because of my prognosis i’m thinking metastatic cancer, but who knows, so kinda been waiting for that to mend a little as much as possible while still toting 50# bags of feed around. 

it’s a weird place in life where i’m at, most people will never experience. three plus years past when everybody including myself, thought i’d be dead. monitoring my psa monthly which was up to 0.8 dec 1st from 0.6 fifty days earler(i was late)but i won’t get too nervous until my jan 1 lab. makes it hard to plan not knowing if ur gonna be alive in 6 weeks. so i figure i have at least until jan 1 not medicating on cannabis oil so doing something like getting on the wheel or doing anything other than the absolutely bare minimum shouldn’t be a problem. ur in california, try some cannabis oil sometime, not cbd oil, people always confuse the two, it will be good for u, especially living in california, with fukushima still spewing radioactivity.

so yeah, i remember how difficult it was getting around, doing chores on the ranch by myself with my broken ankle years ago, so i don’t act like a stupid kid anymore. nobody can do what i do. i pretty much think men are sissies. probably because my testosterone was off the chart, and i didn’t know it was me that was different. testosterone is great for strength and also great food for prostate cancer, probably why my prostate cancer is so deadly. if it spreads the doctors will want to castrate me, more experimental drugs etc etc. 

i also have other little projects i’m working on. Betty my premie calf will be off two a day bottle feedings soon, hopefully(since may). i’m excited about having fios re-installed in the old homestead because doing research using wireless is a pain. might have to build another overclocking desktop computer. supposedly getting 150 up and down. i work with a lot of maps and rendering needs lots of hp. i stay busy. keeps me from researching cancer. i should have my new rollator on monday so hopefully Bob can learn along with me(if the neighbors dog is out of her heat cycle) on a leash. 

i still see some of my select gfs, and if i can get some system bulletproof where they can’t hurt themselves just trying a wheel, that might be fun but not imperative.trust me, where i’m at in life, nothing is more important than staying alive for Bob. my to do list everyday, 1. thank God 2. kill cancer 3. take care of my animals beginning with Bob, repeat. anything else i get done is a bonus. u will never understand until ur time comes, and u could die in your sleep and never get it. 

it’s a “e” ticket ride at disney.

i’d still rather live here with all this bs than in a neighborhood like where u live.

off to feed Betty.

Most people's learning experience will look like this. 

I also learned on grass, I think a lot of people go ended up bashing themselves did so on asphalt. 

Finally, if someone takes your arm and just rides alongside you, doing the balancing for you, you'd learn quickly without drama. 

10 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I also learned on grass, I think a lot of people go ended up bashing themselves did so on asphalt. 

Finally, if someone takes your arm and just rides alongside you, doing the balancing for you, you'd learn quickly without drama. 

yeah i think the ballfields at the dogpark might work. Bob likes going so i’mm trying to go like 3 times a week, mon wed fri. gotta be less damage to the euc too. i’m gonna experiment with everything i’ve picked up here and on youtube. 

my view this morning, every morning, when i peek outside, except it’s cold and wet this morning, Bob is extra extra frisky/psycho. tmrw i gotta go get feed again and i need to modify my cowpens to make it easier to bag feed the cows. 

4A3FCE2E-5181-47AD-B945-24ABEA66448B.jpeg

16 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

i hope that wasn’t chloe’s first attempt. if it was, i give up. she makes it look easy.

i could be wrong but humans are so impatient about learning new things. they have been, going back to the days when i was teaching golf when i was 16-18. one famous golf teacher would have the student stand in front of him with his legs spread to allow the teacher to chip shots between his legs. then he’d ask the student should he keep chipping little shots or whip out the driver and try to hit the ball between his legs. 

everybody wants instant gratification. 

they don’t realize ”all things come to those that wait” violet fane.

if this works for walking Bob and i feel safe enough not to have to layer up in protective gear, i don’t care if i ever learn how to ride one normally. i’m not competing in the euc olympics anytime soon. 

what got me laughing the other day looking at the photo thread was, i was thinking i should unwrap my ks-18s and put it in the truck and when i saw some scenic site, whip it out and take a picture of it. only problem with that ruse is, i never go anywhere except sam’s and the feed store.

i picked this rollator. omg picking one of these is harder than picking a euc, they’re so many. it’s 300 pound capacity, 7.5 inch wheels and aluminum. plus a pouch instead of a basket. $70, worth a shot. hopefully i’ll only need it for walking Bob and not because i re-broke my ankle or something. sb good for carrying packages back from the road tho. euc or not. built in chair will be handy. Bob always likes to linger longer than me staring into the subdivision next door.

28EFE0DA-B83C-4B20-A2A7-7D52733FBA08.jpeg

Be advised pushing a fixed wheel "stroller" in front of you is even harder than solo wheeling because now you have to control two separate vehicles. However, making all four wheels freewheeling doesn't help either because the cart won't catch imbalances. If anything it just seems to magnify them especially if the cart is light. 

20 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Be advised pushing a fixed wheel "stroller" in front of you is even harder than solo wheeling because now you have to control two separate vehicles. However, making all four wheels freewheeling doesn't help either because the cart won't catch imbalances. If anything it just seems to magnify them especially if the cart is light. 

yes. this is definitely experimental. i’m fairly adept at metal work so modifications might be necessary. i probably should have experimented with the  4 wheel handtruck first, but i figured the rollator might be handy out here anyway. if i get some mcguyver contraption built, i’ll be posting pics and videos. 

i’ve never seen a rollator in person and too lazy to go look at one. 

actually i have some garden cart thing nib in the barn i’ve never assembled that might work. i don’t want to over exert the motor/amp draw like what happen to @Marty Backe in the turnstile. so sturdy is important but there probably needs to be a balance between sturdy and rolling resistance. 

not this fancy and no baby.

3 hours ago, novazeus said:

i hope that wasn’t chloe’s first attempt. if it was, i give up. she makes it look easy.

I doubt it was her first attempt,  looked like she was trying to show what learning looked like,  with the arm waving and stepping off, but to my eye, she already knew how.

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

if this works for walking Bob and i feel safe enough not to have to layer up in protective gear, i don’t care if i ever learn how to ride one normally. i’m not competing in the euc olympics anytime soon. 

what got me laughing the other day looking at the photo thread was, i was thinking i should unwrap my ks-18s and put it in the truck and when i saw some scenic site, whip it out and take a picture of it. only problem with that ruse is, i never go anywhere except sam’s and the feed store.

i picked this rollator. omg picking one of these is harder than picking a euc, they’re so many. it’s 300 pound capacity, 7.5 inch wheels and aluminum. plus a pouch instead of a basket. $70, worth a shot. hopefully i’ll only need it for walking Bob and not because i re-broke my ankle or something. sb good for carrying packages back from the road tho. euc or not. built in chair will be handy. Bob always likes to linger longer than me staring into the subdivision next door.

28EFE0DA-B83C-4B20-A2A7-7D52733FBA08.jpeg

That should work fine.  Once you get good enough, you can push a wheelbarrow for larger stuff.

2 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I doubt it was her first attempt,  looked like she was trying to show what learning looked like,  with the arm waving and stepping off, but to my eye, she already knew how.

i agree. segway should make a training video using actual beginner girls.

Archived