63 old guinea pig

novazeus

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, novazeus said:

and i think for sure the s1will do 12.5 mph because ii looked at my phone briefly on a short burst and it was over 11 and no tiltback. too novice to really speed verify it though.

It should, mine does and tiltback starts right about 12.5.  Took me by surprise the first couple of times because I was accelerating too quickly and that made the tiltback pretty strong, almost fell off once.  After that I don't accelerate fast near the high speed.  Then the tiltback is a lot more gentle.  But I don't like to ride faster than about 10 11 mph anyway, just a few times on a pea gravel bike trail with grass on both sides where if I fell off it would be softer than pavement.  Most times 8 or 9 mph feels plenty fast for me.

first week of actually riding/falling off. 9bot1s2 still very comfy. 9bot1s1 is great but so easy to get to tilt back makes it actually a great training wheel because u gotta watch ur speed, 9bot1e+ has some issues for beginners like me. the outside edges of the pedals are tapered on the s2 and s1 much more ankle bone friendly for those mismounts while learning as opposed to e+ square edge metal pedals. plus the e+ doesn’t grip as well to my tactical boots. i’ve unlocked the ks16s so the 9bot1e+ is gonna be parked for a while especially with mounting being my next obstacle in learning.

ok, that went pretty well. the ks-16s and the ks-18s are officially over their lockdown 5 km setting. didn’t think i was ready for the 18s on my road after laying it down once in my yard because my steering was sucking so i took it out in the pasture. figured i give the cows something to think about other than me selling 24 of their babies this morning. pasture riding is gonna be challenging and good exercise. i’ve got the tire maxed out so it is bouncy. i think the 18s is gonna work pretty well in the pastures. my cattle hauler was giving me shit about not dragging my pastures, now i have an incentive for me. the 18 inch wheel just takes more rider input for everything. stopping, starting, turning etc. happy so far with all my wheel purchases except the 9bot1e+. i know lots of people learned on those and put lots of miles on them but i haven’t bonded with mine yet. i have an advantage that i don’t care what i look like, i dress for the cows and Bob. Bob loves these heavyweight coveralls. 10oz 100% cotton. not leather but could probably be a good defense for road rash at euc speed.

45AF5EFB-0F52-4B03-9439-3CC24A3DAF52.png

9 hours ago, novazeus said:

ok, that went pretty well. the ks-16s and the ks-18s are officially over their lockdown 5 km setting. didn’t think i was ready for the 18s on my road after laying it down once in my yard because my steering was sucking so i took it out in the pasture. figured i give the cows something to think about other than me selling 24 of their babies this morning. pasture riding is gonna be challenging and good exercise. i’ve got the tire maxed out so it is bouncy. i think the 18s is gonna work pretty well in the pastures. my cattle hauler was giving me shit about not dragging my pastures, now i have an incentive for me. the 18 inch wheel just takes more rider input for everything. stopping, starting, turning etc. happy so far with all my wheel purchases except the 9bot1e+. i know lots of people learned on those and put lots of miles on them but i haven’t bonded with mine yet. i have an advantage that i don’t care what i look like, i dress for the cows and Bob. Bob loves these heavyweight coveralls. 10oz 100% cotton. not leather but could probably be a good defense for road rash at euc speed.

45AF5EFB-0F52-4B03-9439-3CC24A3DAF52.png

Did you used to be a part of ZZ Top?

18 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Did you used to be a part of ZZ Top?

no unfortunately. i own a lot of guitars and can’t play a lick. keep thinking there will come a time in my life where i’ll be more sedentary. i have been hitting the wheels daily. i loved my tactical boots but now i think they are just a little too big and comfy for wheel riding. the boot adheres to the pedals great but my socked foot is shifting inside the boot screwing up my control.

in light of @Rehab1 bad accident, i think i’m gonna stick to the 9bot1s2 and s1 for training for a while. i know i can ride the ks-16s and the ks-18s but i can see how the bigger more powerful wheels could get away from u, like getting slightly airborne by traversing a large stick, like yesterday. the little 9bots seem to be the most intuitive to learn on and i need to practice slow speed, stopping with dismount and mounting. plus much lighter lugging to the road or out ofthe truck. unlike most of u, i got into this to be able to get to my mailbox, almost 1/2 mile away without walking. my road has no concrete curbs and grass/dirt aprons and to be able to cross pastures with the bigger euc’s. i don’t wanna go faster than what it takes for me to balance. hopefully i’ll be ok.

I've never felt, nor have I ever seen or heard of, an EUC getting away from a rider like the way the 2-wheeled segways do.

I have crashed a few times on my hoverboard similar to the above, but EUCs seem to require a much higher "ready position". Basically if you don't have pretty good understanding and control of your wheel then you're not staying on.

Generally you face plant or you wobble then leap off, but there's never this delayed crash as what you see with Segways. I would even go so far as to say the bigger the wheels are easier to ride once you have basic competency.

I would put the S1/S2 as "really difficult" wheels to ride, as in so hard I initially couldn't even mount one except by the "hang time and leap on with both feet" method.

If you can ride your S1 then you can easily ride most other wheels.

20 hours ago, novazeus said:

no unfortunately. i own a lot of guitars and can’t play a lick. keep thinking there will come a time in my life where i’ll be more sedentary. i have been hitting the wheels daily. i loved my tactical boots but now i think they are just a little too big and comfy for wheel riding. the boot adheres to the pedals great but my socked foot is shifting inside the boot screwing up my control.

You're not gonna just collect wheels too, are you man? 

22 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

If you can ride your S1 then you can easily ride most other wheels.

yeah, that’s what i mean. the 14” wheels aren’t the easiest to learn on especially with the tires pumped up to their max pressure, gotta say i’m impressed so far how good they maintain pressure, and the s1 with it’s low top end, really makes u work for it. the ks-18s is just in a class by itself. once i get comfortable with it, the others might get lonely. it’s only been two weeks outside my 2x4’s and with @Rehab1 unfortunate accident and many others i’ve heard along the way certainly makes learning all the more ass puckering.  today as i was gliding zombie style, and thinking about everything that could go wrong, it crossed my mind, “and people like this shit?”. this debris in my road also adds to the excitement. gotta fix my leaf blower. this skillset does remind me of rc helis because u have to “blank” ur mind so it can make the minute adjustments for riding. like hovering an heli. start thinking about other stuff and u will probably crash. at least that’s how my brain works. could be/probably is defective.

1 minute ago, kasenutty said:

You're not gonna just collect wheels too, are you man? 

no i’m riding every one of them but now that i’m satisfied with my assessment of their pros and cons and wheels to learn on, i’m gonna concentrate the rest of the necessary skills i need to learn on the s1 and s2.  got some anti skid tape for the 9bot1e+ so i might give it another look. i’m sure i’ll get bored and take the ks-16s and ks-18s out occaisionally. i need to figure out where to keep them stored and handy.

3 hours ago, novazeus said:

no i’m riding every one of them but now that i’m satisfied with my assessment of their pros and cons and wheels to learn on, i’m gonna concentrate the rest of the necessary skills i need to learn on the s1 and s2.  got some anti skid tape for the 9bot1e+ so i might give it another look. i’m sure i’ll get bored and take the ks-16s and ks-18s out occaisionally. i need to figure out where to keep them stored and handy.

<sigh> Okay... send them to me and I will look after them - I'll even cycle your batteries (even if that means riding the wheels).

And you can use them anytime you want.*

You're welcome! 

* Wheels can be accessed anytime (24x7) in Wellington, NZ only.

16 hours ago, novazeus said:

The heavier the wheel the lower in the gravity well I place it. You wouldn't want to lug a KS18 up four flights of steps like the way I lug my MSuper, ouch ouch...

Stash a wheel where everywhere as it affords a lot of freedom for parking, although once you get to your destination all wheels are a pain to trolley or carry around. Find some sort of coat closet, rack, or welcoming desk where you can stash your wheel. Losing a $300 S1 isn't too painful and so that affords a lot of peace of mind.

If you can just get in the "seat time", maybe 30 minutes to 2 hours a day, and not even do anything fancy at all, just stop, go, turn, and cruise straight. Nothing beats just seat time at this point, EUCs are not like bicycles whereby you can take it easy, personally I always found any inattention resulted in a close call.

<shrug> there's a low-level tension with EUCs that I don't find with other more stable vehicles; one never quite trusts the wheel, and rightfully so.

5 hours ago, LanghamP said:

The heavier the wheel the lower in the gravity well I place it. You wouldn't want to lug a KS18 up four flights of steps like the way I lug my MSuper, ouch ouch...

Stash a wheel where everywhere as it affords a lot of freedom for parking, although once you get to your destination all wheels are a pain to trolley or carry around. Find some sort of coat closet, rack, or welcoming desk where you can stash your wheel. Losing a $300 S1 isn't too painful and so that affords a lot of peace of mind.

If you can just get in the "seat time", maybe 30 minutes to 2 hours a day, and not even do anything fancy at all, just stop, go, turn, and cruise straight. Nothing beats just seat time at this point, EUCs are not like bicycles whereby you can take it easy, personally I always found any inattention resulted in a close call.

<shrug> there's a low-level tension with EUCs that I don't find with other more stable vehicles; one never quite trusts the wheel, and rightfully so.

i don’t go anywhere except to restock food and feed and Bob always goes with me. so for now and probably a long time, i’ll never be off my property with the wheels. for that to happen i gotta be a wheel expert, Bob either has to be perfect off leash or on leash to trot alongside the wheel. so we have a lot of training ahead of us. no hurry. i’m glad u like ur s1. at $300 they are big bang for the buck. i think they are perfect for learning and fun. speed=bigger boo boo’s. i never used a leash. i think padding up so ur planning on dropping it and jumping away from it on a dismount is better/safer. i’m pretty good at stepping off. i’m padded too. neoprene wraparound my ankles and shins. no boo boo’s so far. if i try to teach this to a gf or two, i better be sure they don’t get a scratch when beginning or else they’re smart enough enough to quit after that. 

17 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i don’t go anywhere except to restock food and feed and Bob always goes with me. so for now and probably a long time, i’ll never be off my property with the wheels. for that to happen i gotta be a wheel expert, Bob either has to be perfect off leash or on 

Riding an EUC with your dog are two mutually exclusive actions, that is, to attempting both will result in the likely destruction of two of three parties (the EUC will be OK).

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Riding an EUC with your dog are two mutually exclusive actions, that is, to attempting both will result in the likely destruction of two of three parties (the EUC will be OK).

ya it’s a way off. tried to get a little practice in before dark and realized my turning needs a lot of work. probably gonna have to go to a parking lot after hours for some real practice. 

52 minutes ago, novazeus said:

ya it’s a way off. tried to get a little practice in before dark and realized my turning needs a lot of work. probably gonna have to go to a parking lot after hours for some real practice. 

No... Do it "during hours" - the fear will keep you sharp! 

I rode EUC several times whit dogs, never had an incident. Its really fun because we can get really close without hurting ourselves, it's easy keep his speed and the leash is not a problem due the hands free nature o EUC

7 hours ago, Demargon said:

I rode EUC several times whit dogs, never had an incident. Its really fun because we can get really close without hurting ourselves, it's easy keep his speed and the leash is not a problem due the hands free nature o EUC

that’s what i’m hoping. Bob, my puppy, is only 16 months on Feb 8th and Anatolian Shepherds are slow to maturity at 4 years. We’re learning, so we have plenty of time.  i think Bob will eventually stay with me off leash and that will be great. they are very smart dogs but that makes them very independent too. so sometimes i call him and he just looks at me, if i’m lucky.

getting in at least a little bit of riding everyday. pretty discouraging coming to this forum and seeing new people getting hurt. i define getting hurt as needing medical attention. almost makes me wanna quit before i get started, not to jinx myself, but i think i’m gonna be ok. not because i’m smarter or more talented, more because of my place to ride. my road is the most dangerous for injuries but there’s no curbs and the aprons are pretty much cleared of debris. but ultimately, the pasture is where i’ll be using the ks-16s, if it has enough grunt, and the ks-18s. speed in the pasture isn’t possible. too irregular of a surface. i’ve fallen from horseback at a full run before. i’ve been knocked down by a 1500 pound bull and rolled like a beach ball by him. luckily both times, no medical needed. i know my ks-16s and ks-18s are gonna spend a lot of time horizontal in my pastures, so i’m just gonna put them in big euc foam condoms. i’m practicing getting off them. i think i’ll be ok. i’ve never spent the night in a hospital. went once to the emergency room when i was 11 because i got hit in the face with a baseball. i see people on this forum doing things i’d never do, but i’m not their mama. concrete, trees, cars, asphalt aren’t very forgiving.

Just a heads up/warning; riding away from pavement is quite difficult on an EUC, and very prone to crashing. If you take a bicycle over roughness you would expect to get to the other side without too much trouble but an EUC is entirely crash-prone.

For example, I've crashed just once in the past 6 or so months (on a gumball that I ran off the wheel at low speed) but I have uncountable crashes on fairly mild grass fields. Get into a hole that I would think is shallow, or lean over, or trip over the leg of an ant, and you're going down, at least by my skill level.

Have you looked into getting an electric mountain bike? Or even an eBike with fatter tires?

Archived