63 old guinea pig

novazeus

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my brain is still trying to rationalize the whole weight thing. for some reason they look lighter from afar, buylt they are bricks, much heavier than i would expect. i wonder if u guys have experienced the same thing when u let onlookers feel the heft of it. i haven't looked at weight of bicycles but i'm sure, sorta sure, there are gazillion speed bicycles out there that weigh less than the 9 bot. i'd hate to drop one on a toe.

Just imagine it like a whole bicycle compressed into a small, dense package.  My Ninebot One E+ weighs about 27 pounds which is a light weight compared to higher watt hour wheels.  When you start adding in the power packs that take you 80 km instead of 20 km it does add up.  

You're lucky with the KS16S with the built-in trolley handle.  In any case, usually you're riding on these instead of carrying them.  Just don't run out of juice in the middle of nowhere or burn out wiring up a mountain away from cell service.  :whistling:

@steve454 and i finally found the manual and some card, all in chinese, inside my rain soaked box. 

i'm sure other people don't have a hundred and ten pound puppy and growing, but even though Bob is maturing beautifully, mentally and physically, i've got at least 9 more months of puppyhood, and i'll miss it when he does finally mature. just wondering where people store their wheels? i was thinking about hanging them. don't know if that would be hard on it and the switches. thinking about pelican style as cheap as i can find. when Bob hits 150 or so, with 765 lbs of bite pressure, i would not be surprised to walk outside and see it in the compound disassembled. he really likes taking things apart, especially stuff daddy shows interest in.

9 minutes ago, novazeus said:

@steve454 and i finally found the manual and some card, all in chinese, inside my rain soaked box. 

i'm sure other people don't have a hundred and ten pound puppy and growing, but even though Bob is maturing beautifully, mentally and physically, i've got at least 9 more months of puppyhood, and i'll miss it when he does finally mature. just wondering where people store their wheels? i was thinking about hanging them. don't know if that would be hard on it and the switches. thinking about pelican style as cheap as i can find. when Bob hits 150 or so, with 765 lbs of bite pressure, i would not be surprised to walk outside and see it in the compound disassembled. he really likes taking things apart, especially stuff daddy shows interest in.

@novazeus I just lean mine against a wall in a closet. It should be relatively safe until Bob learns how to open a door. I wouldn't trust hanging my KS16s from the handle. Even though I use it all the time, I'm not 100% confident in the sturdiness of the handle and feel it is the weakest link construction-wise of the entire device. If you could use 2-3 pegs to hold it on the wall by the wheel that would work though if you wanted to keep it elevated. The thing is, from the pictures, Bob will eventually be able to reach any height you could conveniently reach yourself unless you plan to use a ladder.

@electricpen yeah my thoughts on the handle. Bob would tear through the door to get it if he wanted it. i'm pretty much camping out at the ranch in a cargo container next to the old homestead. the house i grew up in, is in disrepair. fixing it up would be just throwing money away for one person that basically can't make any plans longer than 30 days. i live in the temporary, we all do really, i just have a disease/diagnosis that makes it waay more obvious. psa test to psa test. my valuable personal items of interest, drones, guitars, guns are hanging from the ceiling and walls with powerful magnets hooks. ima gonna die if there's ever a tremor in fl and this stuff falls on me. i ain't hanging a wheel over my head. maybe that's my fascination with the weight and mass of these things, i'm always thinking that would hurt if it fell on me.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love@LanghamP found this, i have 80 pound magnet hooks. on the vertical metal wall of the container only 45 lbs. Fun Unicycle Stand for 16"-24" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NGBH3O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_KZEMzbXEE32CF

i just turned on my first euc ever, the ks-16s and rolled it in front of me, kinda like moving my old hoover. if my little raver gfs got a hold of this, they'd roll it back and forth watching the pretty lights until it was flat. is pretty. gotta go over it in a little bit and make sure it's functioning properly after a day in the pasture.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love yeah i went and looked in the old homestead garage and i have those big galvanized pipe ones i covered in rubatex. i think i mist just like buying junk. also thought of a deck box with the stands inside and i could keep all the chargerrs and extras in there. what Bob doesn't destroy, the cat will finish off any electrical cords. before i get to crazy here without riding two steps, i started worrying that it might be like water skiing and that for some reason kills my lower back. got a birth defect. i'll find out soon enough.

i think what killed my back water skiing was the little ripples plus being a beginner. i was 30 years younger them. inline skating was fine. i'll probably be ok. Bob and i go to home depot tmrw to look at euc protective padding and storage options. i'll review all the padding ideas tonight. i've got a twelve foot dump trailer that sides look like the perfect height for a balance assist. not very long but should get lesson one down. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/20/2017 at 7:28 PM, novazeus said:

i think what killed my back water skiing was the little ripples plus being a beginner. i was 30 years younger them. inline skating was fine. i'll probably be ok. Bob and i go to home depot tmrw to look at euc protective padding and storage options. i'll review all the padding ideas tonight. i've got a twelve foot dump trailer that sides look like the perfect height for a balance assist. not very long but should get lesson one down. 

I'm interested in how you're getting along with learning the EUC post-hurricane. The loose consensus seems that an hour or a few hours is required to just get moving while a few weeks will get a person smooth enough for sidewalk travel.

@LanghamP i'm ready except for clearing my road from debris. all wheels are padded. got some protective gear that should adequate for learning. it would be nice if the weather would cool off a little. i still have to pump up the tires to max pressure or in the 18s case to 45lbs or whatever it says. i want to do it here because Bob goes everywhere i go and i'd have to leave him in my truck with it running for the ac to be on. i could be wrong but i don't think it will be too hard for me. i was screwing around last night with my foamed up 18s just controlling the wheel with my left leg(dominant) and stepping up on it with my right while getting an assist from my nightstand. i really think the soft foam padding is gonna help me learn. gives great grip.i'm not taking my cannabis oil now so that will help a lot too. my pastures are knee high in grass, thankfully, or else i'd go out there, my dirt is only slightly softer than my pavement. i'm still on track to give Bob a good workout while on leash when the wearher down here gets a little cooler. 

IMG_5052.JPG

this is my place nestle amongst the trees, groan. clearing the road is gonna be a major undertaking. i've got everything i need, tractor etc. just need motivation. not being in a hurry is a good thing. one little limb from up high would solve all my problems, but Bob would be an orphan.

FullSizeRender.jpg

there's a big park very close by that has a dog park that Bob and i tried to check out last monday. we might go give that a look tmrw to see how that would work. i need a Bob babysitter but i wouldn't trust anybody. the park sb a little less soggy.

@LanghamP how do you like your ks16s?i'm doing my first charge on it now. i saw where somebody said to chg them up full and let them sit for 24 hours. probably chg the 18s tn too. might as well get them all ready for the experiment. just from screwing around with them with one leg and balancing on them, the 16 and 18 feel like i have better control. i wish i had access to a place like this to learn.              

Interestingly enough, on Sunday on the local golf course two guys had a go on my EUC (I'm ok with people trying on grass so long as they promise they don't quit).

The first few times they tried it, they said it was simply impossible but suddenly for one guy it clicked, and he was fine, but the other kept trying for around 20-30 minutes with absolutely no success. Learning EUC's is highly variable.

The KS16s is probably one of the easier if not the easiest wheels to learn to ride on and to ride. I have the tire pressure between 40-45 which above that makes the wheel progressively harder to balance on as it becomes more tip-prone into the corners. Below 45 the wheel is perfectly neutral.

My observation is practice hopping off the wheel. Get on, then practice hopping off, as for sure you'll need that skill regardless of what you do. Don't be like me where I learned to ride so easily but then had a couple of painful falls when I didn't know how to bail.

@LanghamP yeah, i think a golf course would be perfect. if nothing else, maybe Bob and I will get out and go look at the dog park and the rest of the park to see what amenities are there. he enjoys truck rides and it will be interesting to see what he does off leash in a dog park.

Archived