63 old guinea pig

novazeus

@LanghamP ok. got my first little taste tn. i make "neat" wall like video say. in my container. neat or clean for me, anyway. about 16'. i chose reebok high tops for my foot apparel, which kinda throws me off because i'm usually barefoot but if i dress up, flip flops. my secret weapon not in the video was my cow poking cane. it is an eerie feeling, kinda like inline skates with swiss bearings on a teeterr totter. the motor pulsing on and off from trying to go slow is weird. gotta practice wearing shoes again. just did the 9bots2 tn. tmrw i'll try the ks-16s, after a little go again on the 14". i think mounting the 16" will be easier.

IMG_5065.JPG

IMG_5066.JPG

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/12/2017 at 2:15 PM, novazeus said:

Just completed my orders of three wheels. Ninebot s2(the 24kph one) was my last order just now. The other two coming are the KS-16S and KS-18S.

Chose these three wheels just based on internet research. Never seen a wheel in person up close. Never been on a Segway or anything that resembles it. Use to inline skate 20 miles an evening and ride motorcycles, so I'm hoping that will help. Other than inspecting, analyzing, charging, padding etc. I'm gonna wait until all three are ready to go before attempting them so I have a clean palate as to which is best for me to learn on.

I have a good place to start on, my asphalt driveway, it's about 2000' and lined with oak trees. Originally I only wanted one to exercise my Anatolian Shepherd puppy, just turned 10 months and 105 pounds already, but the more I researched, the more I realized how perfect these would be in Tampa, FL, my home city. Bayshore in Tampa has the longest continuous sidewalk in the world ( I think ) and our beaches at Clearwater and St. Pete with miles of beach plus several colleges, this transportation should fit well, if, and the big if, our attention deficit people will put forth the effort/get enough results and not get discouraged, can learn safely. 

I'm pretty sure I'll get to some level of competency without killing myself but will I be able to teach others safely and quickly enough to make it a viable purchase. 

When I was at Las Olas marina with my boat there was a sailboat guy there that made it look easy. I was always watching him think he'd roll off the dock, but he never did. Only ones in the wild I've ever seen. Since my last name is King, I'm kinda disappointed "Hello, King Song" went away.

Make sure you learn about the death wobble, and know that it is just caused by leg conditioning and will go away. 

Always wear pads. Here is a vid of mine to help you with padding and beginner basics:

Oh, and congrats! You researched well! 

Those are three of the very best wheels!

@kasenutty yeah yeah everybody made fun of me using a rotopod when learning to fly rc helis too. thing was, i was still flying and the ones laughing were spending thousands on crashed helicopters. if there were enough euc's out there, and start up production costs weren't too high, i think there would be a market for protective coverings and snap on plastic for the foot pad bottoms. i'm cheap but the hassle of sourcing parts and rebuilding, is the thing i'm trying to avoid. i remember my rc days getting stuff from all over the planet to make my helis fly like i wanted. i'm not that worried about getting hurt myself but i do have 150 animals that depend on me.

I've been batting around a hypothesis whereby training on two vehicles might make a person learn an EUC almost instantly.

First, get good riding a hoverboard as that gives you a feel for how a self balancing vehicle works.

Second, practice riding on the handlebars of your bicycle as that gives you a feel for twisting at the hips.

Combining those two is probably very close to riding an EUC.

21 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Second, practice riding on the handlebars of your bicycle as that gives you a feel for twisting at the hips.

I'm not able to visualize that. on padding/protective case, this guy gets first place.beautiful job, smart.

IMG_0139.PNG

IMG_0140.PNG

IMG_0141.PNG

18 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I never rode my bike down a hill sitting on my own handlebars. Sounds pretty badass but never seen or done it. 

Bikes in those days didn't have handbrakes. :o

You got on, you were committed.

@LanghamP learning to ride this euc better be easier than sitting on handlebars going downhill. i think u r trying to kill me, laughter or otherwise. just starting but i think riding my motorcycles slowly and sometimes at a stop, balancing side to side, i would think come in handy. if u have ever seen those guys, like the blue angels of motorcycle cops, do their tight, gravity defying, slow speed  maneuvers, that ain't easy, and they are using the gyroscopic effect of the engine and prematurely wearing out their clutches. i only did about 35 to 40 thousand street miles, so i got a pretty good taste of it. i survived. i'd still ride except for my prostate and Bob. ie the euc, not sitting and Bob can get stretched out on a run next to me. Bob can do 35mph, supposedly, so a light work out at 10mph. honestly, i'd rather inline skate but my driveway is almost 20 years since i black top it and it's great for a bicycle tire but an 78 to 82 durometer wheel not so much. i'm not a jogger. i think that is unhealthy. i don't wanna bounce my cancer laden prostate too much.

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

@LanghamP learning to ride this euc better be easier than sitting on handlebars going downhill. i think u r trying to kill me, laughter or otherwise. just starting but i think riding my motorcycles slowly and sometimes at a stop, balancing side to side, i would think come in handy. if u have ever seen those guys, like the blue angels of motorcycle cops, do their tight, gravity defying, slow speed  maneuvers, that ain't easy, and they are using the gyroscopic effect of the engine and prematurely wearing out their clutches. i only did about 35 to 40 thousand street miles, so i got a pretty good taste of it. i survived. i'd still ride except for my prostate and Bob. ie the euc, not sitting and Bob can get stretched out on a run next to me. Bob can do 35mph, supposedly, so a light work out at 10mph. honestly, i'd rather inline skate but my driveway is almost 20 years since i black top it and it's great for a bicycle tire but an 78 to 82 durometer wheel not so much. i'm not a jogger. i think that is unhealthy. i don't wanna bounce my cancer laden prostate too much.

Knowing how to ride a bicycle or motorcycle well isn't very useful for an EUC because the steerable wheel is well in front of you while an EUC has its wheel directly under you. Therefore there is a tendency to tip the bicycle/motorcycle to get it to steer whereas the EUC requires a rotation or twist of your hips. Twisting the wheel is the key to keeping your balance, and very suddenly people who do so find themselves actually riding an EUC.

@LanghamP idk when i used to ride home from the bars i use to tuck my hands in my armpits and steer home with my hips, but i wasn't thinking about what i was doing obviously.last night i was turning around using my hips but i had the wall to help balance. i found getting on the wheel a lot harder in reeboks as opposed to barefoot. i'm gonna compare tn. i know i'm suppose to run at lower pressure to make learning easier, but i pumped it to 52. my harley shock absorber pump is pretty accurate and doesn't leak air when disengaging, and the tire dropped 5 psi overnight. i'm gonna check it again tn. 5psi is just a small amount of air in this little tire. it might have a pinched tube already, brand new out of the box.

yeah, last night was different but going so slow and so short in the container added to the angst of the different feeling. outdoors, on nice smoot grass would be perfect.

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Any progress on learning how to ride?  :popcorn:

I often wonder what happens to some people. They come here with gusto, questions, etc. Then they disappear :huh:

And then there are those who ask for specific help, get the help, and provide zero feedback on what ultimately happened. People can be so rude sometimes ;)

:lol:  Sometimes life and hurricanes get in the way!  Plus a lot of cattle.  :blink:  Hopefully @novazeus has had a chance to clear that driveway of those tree branches by now.  I'm looking forward to seeing the NineBat One S2 in action!  :ph34r:  That and the KS 18!   Plus those lovely ladies giving it (the wheels) a try:whistling: My Telsa seems to be stuck at the UPS warehouse (imagines UPS workers trying to ride it around :furious:).  Watching the UPS tracking page is like a watched pot that never boils.  :sleep1:

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love not learning how to ride but getting closer to being able to dedicate time to the process. worked cattle yesterday and this morning and sold 23 head. quite a feat doing it alone. driveway is still covered with irma debris so i gotta still clear my road. been busy showing the property to developers, like Beazer yesterday. they want to build 55+ 4 story condos. meeting another one on thursday, southern land company. between Bob my dog in training, just turned 1 on 10-8, operating a 325 acre cattle ranch and talking to developers, i’ve been waay to busy to start learning. from reading the forum, i figure i need to have time to consistently practice to pick this up. 

getting this first load of cattle off was a big deal. i’ll probably sell 80 to 100 head this winter. that’s a lot of 50 pound bags of feed to get, load, unload and feed. right now every muscle in my body hurts and it’s not because of cancer or my age. at twenty i’d feel beat up. very hard to do with no help. my last psa oct 10 about was 0.6 which is my lowest yet. been experimenting with cannabis oil in suppository form because the psychoactive effects are practically non existent for me, which allows me to get more work done. i’m pretty sure the most experienced wheel rider would not get on his wheel taking my medicine, cannabis oil. it’s not like smoking cannabis. it’s more like 1960’s lsd if you ever tried that. the weather is pretty nice right now and wearing clothes you don’t burn up outside and Bob is maturing enough i can leave him in the compound without him escaping to find me. so yeah, getting close and getting excited about starting. trust me, i still have a to do list that would make most people cringe but i do see daylight ahead. i see all of @Marty Backe videos and it makes me jealous. not that he is having a great time riding his wheel in pretty scenery but all the free time he has. i’ve got two things i can’t walk away from, the ranch with 150 head of cattle and cancer. keeps me busy. the cows knocked down part of my cowpens this morning, they get pretty crazy, so tmrw i’ll fix those for a late afternoon feeding and hopefully worm them and if that goes good, i’ll hook up my boxblade to my tractor and scrape the limbs off my road. i still haven’t taken my phantom 4 pro or mavic pro out or tried the dji goggles.

but still for a 63 year old man that was given 3 months to live over three years ago, i can’t complain. it’s like i tell people when you’re told you have 3 months to fight cancer before you die and you agree with the doctors based on your own research, you no longer have anything in common with humans. it’s like starting a new life. everything you thought was important, isn’t anymore. still have issues caused by the massive doses of radiation they gave me, but totally off prescription drugs and haven’t been sick in over three years or seen a doctor. i know of a couple of women that i’ve never met in person that have contacted me about my medicine and how to make it and take it and they were both terminal like me and now their oncologists called them miracles. supposedly totally cleared of cancer. so that makes me happy. rick simpsom, another canadian, and dennis hill’s story, saved my life.

that kiwano k01 had it’s ship date pushed back to later this month.

my pastures are gonna be pretty sandy, myaaka sand, and i’m wondering about the best way to clean or maintain these wheels. 

@Marty Backe @Hunka Hunka Burning Love that’s funny y’all were posting when i was writing that long reply.

when the developers start in here, they’ll build nice new multi-use paths to ride on. i’d like to start inline skating again. seeing how many old geezers ride wheels, beazers 55+ condos sb a hotbed for them.

10 minutes ago, novazeus said:

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love not learning how to ride but getting closer to being able to dedicate time to the process. worked cattle yesterday and this morning and sold 23 head. quite a feat doing it alone. driveway is still covered with irma debris so i gotta still clear my road. been busy showing the property to developers, like Beazer yesterday. they want to build 55+ 4 story condos. meeting another one on thursday, southern land company. between Bob my dog in training, just turned 1 on 10-8, operating a 325 acre cattle ranch and talking to developers, i’ve been waay to busy to start learning. from reading the forum, i figure i need to have time to consistently practice to pick this up. 

getting this first load of cattle off was a big deal. i’ll probably sell 80 to 100 head this winter. that’s a lot of 50 pound bags of feed to get, load, unload and feed. right now every muscle in my body hurts and it’s not because of cancer or my age. at twenty i’d feel beat up. very hard to do with no help. my last psa oct 10 about was 0.6 which is my lowest yet. been experimenting with cannabis oil in suppository form because the psychoactive effects are practically non existent for me, which allows me to get more work done. i’m pretty sure the most experienced wheel rider would not get on his wheel taking my medicine, cannabis oil. it’s not like smoking cannabis. it’s more like 1960’s lsd if you ever tried that. the weather is pretty nice right now and wearing clothes you don’t burn up outside and Bob is maturing enough i can leave him in the compound without him escaping to find me. so yeah, getting close and getting excited about starting. trust me, i still have a to do list that would make most people cringe but i do see daylight ahead. i see all of @Marty Backe videos and it makes me jealous. not that he is having a great time riding his wheel in pretty scenery but all the free time he has. i’ve got two things i can’t walk away from, the ranch with 150 head of cattle and cancer. keeps me busy. the cows knocked down part of my cowpens this morning, they get pretty crazy, so tmrw i’ll fix those for a late afternoon feeding and hopefully worm them and if that goes good, i’ll hook up my boxblade to my tractor and scrape the limbs off my road. i still haven’t taken my phantom 4 pro or mavic pro out or tried the dji goggles.

but still for a 63 year old man that was given 3 months to live over three years ago, i can’t complain. it’s like i tell people when you’re told you have 3 months to fight cancer before you die and you agree with the doctors based on your own research, you no longer have anything in common with humans. it’s like starting a new life. everything you thought was important, isn’t anymore. still have issues caused by the massive doses of radiation they gave me, but totally off prescription drugs and haven’t been sick in over three years or seen a doctor. i know of a couple of women that i’ve never met in person that have contacted me about my medicine and how to make it and take it and they were both terminal like me and now their oncologists called them miracles. supposedly totally cleared of cancer. so that makes me happy. rick simpsom, another canadian, and dennis hill’s story, saved my life.

that kiwano k01 had it’s ship date pushed back to later this month.

my pastures are gonna be pretty sandy, myaaka sand, and i’m wondering about the best way to clean or maintain these wheels. 

Wow, I'm exhausted just reading about what you do. I'm amazed you decided to take up EUC's considering all the free time that you have. Way to go :cheers:

i have two polaris utv’s, a jeep wrangler, a one ton dooley, tractor etc for getting around. hopefully the euc’s will be another mode of transportation for me around here. got a harley flhrse4 rusting in my garage, along with my ktm superduke r and a ktm 525 exc that i won’t touch because of the vibration they exert on my perineum. i don’t want to jiggle that blob of cancer formerly known as my prostate.

i’m very interested in the new designs coming out like that fat tire 9bot z. i think that might be the best for my soil. pensacola grass over very sandy pastures. great for development, terrible cattle ranch. means i gotta toke a lot of feed.

so how do u clean these things or do they not need it. mine will be covered in cowshit just like my jeep but i’m worried with all the electronics water cleaning might not be good.

like for example, i skated for years. never skated backwards. never wanted to. i have no desire to wheel backwards unless it’s a skillset that’s useful for going forward. 

i was watching a fb video of these humans doing stupid things and hurting themselves, i don’t have that option. everyday screwing with these animals, i could get hurt badly but that’s not optional. so i have no intention getting hurt riding one of these wheels. can’t really tote 50 pound bags of feed with a broken ankle on crutches, been there, done that. 

I would not treat an EUC as anything even remotely heavy-duty. Not only are wheel designs so far somewhat sketchy, but also if anything goes wrong they do not coast to a halt. Wheels are fundamentally unstable.

Since people add about 1/10 of a second to their reaction time per decade, and you being in your 7th decade, it follows a dump by your wheel would feel like you instantly went down.

It sounds somewhat your EUCs are vehicles in search of a purpose, and if you seldom leave your farm then they might have little purpose but pleasure, which is great. If you push these wheels into doing something they don't want to do, then you might break them (but then again I do beat up my V5).

However, what you can do, and might be highly highly appropriate, is to get a medical personal electric assistant prescription and select your EUCs as the PDA, and then use that to scoot around town and inside buildings.

Archived