Would You Want pre-drilled Trolley Handle Holes in your ACM?

Facing a bit of dilemma: fitting the ACM trolley handle is not easy, there's six screw holes that need to be made in the shell & the plastic is not exactly the most malleable of materials. There's the option of getting some small bore holes pre-drilled at the factory. 

For existing ACM owners, if this was option was available, would you have wanted it? Would it have enhanced your out-of-box experience with the ACM?

I supposed one option is to pre-drill & also provide the trolley accessory as standard equipment... 

1355152961.jpg.86b33d763020601e937427790cede715.jpg

i would have been going for it!

Thinking of a ACM 1300/1600 Wh and seeing a trolley as a must have...i would not only go for holes, i would take a preinstalled trolley, also!

I agree with @KingSong69.  I'm in the market for a new wheel and have been comparing the ACMs and MSupers and the missing trolley on the ACM was a negative for me.  If the ACM came with a factory installed trolley, I think that'd be a pretty clear winner for me!

The handle is definitely useful but they need to somehow use a tougher/thicker metal across the bottom of the ACM. Mine has snapped on one side and the other is rather bendy meaning I have to be REALLY careful with my handle. Also the original screws worked themselves out and got lost so the remaining side I have is held with small cable ties through the holes! With my medical problems I can't carry the ACM for long so the handle is a must. Luckily my Monster is taller so easier to lean down and grab or push along especially if the seat is installed.

To be honest I'd say that anyone definitely wanting/needing a handle would possibly be best going for the MSuper V3 as it's fitted better and concealed when not in use. 

MSuper 3 trolley is pretty bad though. It is short, in the rear, and it has unwanted flex to it.

Ideally a trolley comes from the tire's contact patch up to the center, otherwise I would think the wheel just flips around (mind you I have only touched two wheels).

I mean, the Inmotion V5 trolley is really solid and sturdy; I'd feel confident beating a puppy to death with it whereas the MSuper 3 I'd think it'd break off while swinging it.

Hell no!

If you have the option on your website, buy ACM with or without holes+handle, ok. That's actually a great idea! :thumbup:

But don't drill into people's shells by default. Given the apparently questionable quality of the handle and how easily the screws will be pulled out in a crash (also how ugly the thing is), I'd rather have no handle than this, and would not want holes in my nice shiny new shell then.

(I have no handle now and plan to build some top-mounted, handle-like thing some time)

Couldn't they just modify their new shell molds to have small pilot divots in the shell so screws or drills can go through them easier?  I think they have them on front car bumpers where license plates are optional.  There's small round depressions in the surface where the plastic is thinner so you can screw your license plate on.  Does anyone have experience with plastic injection molding?  Do you have to make an entirely new mold if there is a small change made?

4 hours ago, LanghamP said:

MSuper 3 trolley is pretty bad though. It is short, in the rear, and it has unwanted flex to it.

I've heard this.  I have a MSuper V3S on it's way in the mail, and I might have been swayed to the ACM had it not been for that trolley.  My feeling is that in the worst case, I can build my own sturdier, taller trolley and the holes in the shell are already there, instead of having this ugly ACM trolley on the outside. I've also heard people claim that the reason they like the ACM is because it will roll when you crash, where the square MSuper will smack the ground hard.  If you have an ACM trolley, that goes out the window.

28 minutes ago, codersarepeople said:

I've heard this.  I have a MSuper V3S on it's way in the mail, and I might have been swayed to the ACM had it not been for that trolley.  My feeling is that in the worst case, I can build my own sturdier, taller trolley and the holes in the shell are already there, instead of having this ugly ACM trolley on the outside. I've also heard people claim that the reason they like the ACM is because it will roll when you crash, where the square MSuper will smack the ground hard.  If you have an ACM trolley, that goes out the window.

My Firewheel-shells cracked on several places rolling down hill on the pavement, I wonder if just smacking hard once would have made less damage? ;)

8 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Facing a bit of dilemma: fitting the ACM trolley handle is not easy, there's six screw holes that need to be made in the shell & the plastic is not exactly the most malleable of materials. There's the option of getting some small bore holes pre-drilled at the factory. 

For existing ACM owners, if this was option was available, would you have wanted it? Would it have enhanced your out-of-box experience with the ACM?

I supposed one option is to pre-drill & also provide the trolley accessory as standard equipment... 

1355152961.jpg.86b33d763020601e937427790cede715.jpg

The holes should be pre-drilled and the inside of the case mold should have a thicker barrel so the screw is not just biting on the thin shell. The holes then should have a plug installed until you add the trolley.

I still wonder why they don't have a metal substructure and bolt the plastic shells to the outside of the frame.  That way they could attach a trolley handle to something solid rather than the plastic shell.  Imagine a motor vehicle... they have this unibody frame that they bolt things onto that is structurally very strong.  If these EUCs had a metal inner framework, during crashes that inner frame might be able to withstand the impacts better rather than relying on the plastic shell and some screws into plastic to hold together.

If you look at the Ninebot One E+, they use a magnesium alloy spine I believe that has some inner plastic structural shells which are screwed on and thinner outer "bumper" rings are attached.  The outer rings can be easily replaced when damaged as those parts are the ones that get the most wear and tear.  That may be why riders like @Jonathan Tolhurst prefer the Ninebot One as it's pretty rugged... and you can replace just the outside cladding rather than the entire half shells...

On 5/3/2017 at 7:54 AM, Jason McNeil said:

For what it's worth, I'm narrowing down my buying options and a handle is a huge selling point to me ... but not if I have to drill my shell myself to install it.

I can only imagine what that would do to a warranty even if I did it flawlessly.

On 5/3/2017 at 6:59 PM, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

The holes should be pre-drilled and the inside of the case mold should have a thicker barrel so the screw is not just biting on the thin shell. The holes then should have a plug installed until you add the trolley.

Interesting discussion. If I decide to add a trolley to my ACM I would epoxy a metal plate with nut plates inside the shell. That way the connection would be much more solid and the anchoring distributed over a wider region. 

What do you guys think about an industrial strength velcro system?  I understand some of those are incredibly strong ... yet they would let you peel the trolley off if you decided in the end that you didn't care for it after all.

1 hour ago, Dingfelder said:

What do you guys think about an industrial strength velcro system?  I understand some of those are incredibly strong ... yet they would let you peel the trolley off if you decided in the end that you didn't care for it after all.

I tried to use a self-adhesive velcro, a very strong one, to avoid using screws, but it did not work. The problem was not the Velcro itself, but the adhesion on the ACM surface. After some push/pull the velcro glue did not hold and the trolley has detached. On other surfaces (flat) this glue is excellent, almost impossible to detach, while on the rough Gotway plastic does not seem to hold…

On 5/5/2017 at 4:39 AM, Dingfelder said:

For what it's worth, I'm narrowing down my buying options and a handle is a huge selling point to me ... but not if I have to drill my shell myself to install it.

I can only imagine what that would do to a warranty even if I did it flawlessly.

It will not do nothing to the warranty,

Gotways original,oem' trolley requires you to drill through, I just chose to only drill 2 at the bottom vs many more all over ACM.

22 hours ago, FULspeed said:

I tried to use a self-adhesive velcro, a very strong one, to avoid using screws, but it did not work. The problem was not the Velcro itself, but the adhesion on the ACM surface. After some push/pull the velcro glue did not hold and the trolley has detached. On other surfaces (flat) this glue is excellent, almost impossible to detach, while on the rough Gotway plastic does not seem to hold…

Hmm, oh well, it was a thought.  Thanks for the feedback, FULspeed. :)

46 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

It will not do nothing to the warranty,

Gotways original,oem' trolley requires you to drill through, I just chose to only drill 2 at the bottom vs many more all over ACM.

Well it's great if they included such damage in the warranty then.  

Were you happy with only the two attachment points?

15 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

I can always remove with almost no demage

On the picture it looks like you attached it to the shell using only cable ties, no screws. Is that correct ?

8 hours ago, Roue Libre said:

On the picture it looks like you attached it to the shell using only cable ties, no screws. Is that correct ?

Yes, strong enough, but easy to remove if need be.

Archived