God Mod- Buyer Beware.

The Brahan Seer

6 hours ago, Robse said:

The more i look into this, the more insane it gets.  This is probably the closest you can get to a classic example of:  the more times you repeat a lie, the more everyone, including yourself, begins to believe it. I actually think he believes it himself.    In fact, it is claimed somewhere in the promotional video that when there is no more power, the power comes from the cap, which is quickly recharged again by the same battery that has no more power left. Nonsense.   Why am I writing this? Because I hope it can deter people from buying and installing this gizmo, and then riding and believing they are safe, and on that basis being more careless due to the false security, and maybe just because of that end up getting really badly hurt.   and if that's not enough, try watching this video, testimonials…

If someone is still not convinced that this guy is a scammer after watching this video, there is really no way to help him. Frightening is that he still finds other riders who get involved in this scam. Actually, no one does this for free and is also an accomplice in my eyes.

I am shocked that one has to discuss it at all or even buy this shit to test it. You can't be that greedy for more clicks, can you? For this reason, I haven't clicked. 😬

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Ok, thanks @supercurio, that is more information than I had, and I shall update my thoughts on him accordingly !

Nice. I just edited the post to add what the godmod maker considers "misinformation".

It doesn't appear that they understand how their product works, and are actively trying to suppress anybody saying anything deviating from their factually incorrect story. The methods observed is a little bit of everything like questioning credentials, trying to ridicule, trolling, pretending to be welcoming and then ultimately make up a story and lie if none of the previous attempts worked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Earn points to receive discounts.....by giving testimonials?

Fairly wanky discounts by looks of it as well, AND you have to buy a thing at full price to even start !

I notice he has added 'Patent Pending' all over the site recently. We could look that up if we could be bothered...

So I feel I can add at least a little credibility to Declan as a person.

I'm from the DC area, where he is/was from. I've ridden with him many many times. He is undoubtedly one of the most skilled riders on the east coast and very knowledgeable about EUCs. I've seen him add heatsinks, make his own battery packs, DiY longboard, crazy scooter/trike inventions, and more. He is basically a mad scientist obsessed with anything that has wheels.

Do I think he is perfect at all of this? No. Does he have a bit of an ego? Not really. He is quite a modest guy and I've never seen him vocally challenge anyone or call them out. He lets his riding speak for itself. Does he help our local community? Yes! He has given me tips when starting out, and when I've had to do repairs or pick out gear. All in all, I believe Declan has good character.

Now, does he know what he is doing with this GodMod stuff? I can def say our DC community is full of memes and inside jokes. I think God Mod got big in part due to that. I have actual friends who have used the god mod and said there was a very small difference, but I think the inside jokes and memes have inflated this to giving a bigger promise than it can deliver. due to injuries and surgery, I have not been able to ride with the group for several months, but I think Declan may just be letting some of this get to his head or get carried away with it. I don't think he has ill intent and I think he firmly believes in his product. 

As for him policing the chat and banning people though, that is not cool. He has allowed some pretty gross hateful speech in the DC EUC chat and only stepped in when legit threats of physical violence were coming up often.

TLDR: Declan is a smart, helpful, and humble guy. God Mod has some legitimacy, but is over hyped and the meme has pushed it into something more than it could ever be. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the insight @Jonny727272 

I hope that someone around him that he trusts could go over things with him, have a full debrief of everything going on, make sure that he understands what he sells better and all claims are valid.

Various people outside of his trust circle tried and it's obviously not working: they're seen as nonbeliever or essentially enemies, everything said is 100% dismissed even when in the most polite and constructive way.

The current direction is heading towards a crash and burn scenario for him and his business, where he'll be discredited and other people will sell the same product for 1/4 to 1/10 of the price after he popularized the concept but priced himself out of most of his customer base.

Yet he is preparing to spend significant amount of cash with a US promotional tour, all with a poor timing.

This doesn't sound so good for his situation. I don't think he has bad intent, but the bold strategy so far is guaranteed to backfire.

There are ways to salvage things before it's too late for him with a subtle but significant shift in communication and market strategy.

Once the sales volume increases and there'll be a bunch of customers feeling like they were mislead buying an overpriced item, asking for their money back - things could become a lot more complicated.

Edited by supercurio
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, supercurio said:

things could become a lot more complicated

I don't think there's anything that complicated, the strategy is promote and sell as hard as possible to cash out before people wise up, then disappear.

• Upvote 1

I have to hand it to him though (except for the cutout mitigation parts). Typical consumer products are MSRP'd at 5x bill of materials cost. He's getting substantially more than that... he's getting it while the getting is good.

(but I do hope he's taken the time to setup the necessary corporate shielding structure in case things get ugly and money starts going to lawyers)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chanman said:

I don't think there's anything that complicated, the strategy is promote and sell as hard as possible to cash out before people wise up, then disappear.

The terms of sale promise a "90-day money-back satisfaction guarantee", that's the part that could cause issues - if customers wise up and want their money back (especially if a competitor swoops in with a much lower cost for exactly the same thing)

Then this money could already be spent, spiraling in though financial situations for the maker.

Very different story but I recall what happened with Firesak, leading to immediate death of the business and probably some difficult personal times when it was shown that the product didn't match expectations.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

I dont know much about electrical engineering at all.. I am kind of surprised people are ok just plugging something into the middle of their battery chain. Especially when the person making it will not talk much about what it is or what parts are used. 

Battery fires are all over the news here in NYC right now. Surprisingly they aren't talking about doing full battery bans in buildings, etc.  Much of the talk is around banning battery MODS and home battery repair shops. 

I would even be afraid to sell battery type mods without going full legit. It seems like it's asking for some sort of inevitable lawsuit at some point.

They cannot ban them, it’s their choice for our future! To turn around and say they aren’t safe would be like, well, saying e.g. that the covid jabs aren’t safe nor effective…

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Freeforester said:

They cannot ban them, it’s their choice for our future! To turn around and say they aren’t safe would be like, well, saying e.g. that the covid jabs aren’t safe nor effective…

I am talking about in private landlord owned buildings and commercial spaces. I am not speaking of a government ban on batteries across the board. Even so I am sure there can be laws voted on and passed to Ban certain uncertified battery packs and mods if they wanted to do something along those lines. It would be hard to fully enforce, but with everything going to battery power, sooner or later they will need to regulate it better. 

39 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

I dont know much about electrical engineering at all.. I am kind of surprised people are ok just plugging something into the middle of their battery chain. Especially when the person making it will not talk much about what it is or what parts are used. 

Fortunately, adding a capacitor there has a very low risk of increasing the risk of fire. Adding really big ones in parallel should only reduce the stress on the packs, but only marginally, in a way that's unlikely to be significant.

The main risk are:

• the installation itself, with regular users opening their wheels and handling high voltages.
  • uncertainty in case the accessory was not secured properly inside the case
  • a pretty bad idea overall to have extra wires going outside for open wheel designs requiring an external installation, carrying up to 134.4V
39 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

Battery fires are all over the news here in NYC right now. Surprisingly they aren't talking about doing full battery bans in buildings, etc.  Much of the talk is around banning battery MODS and home battery repair shops. 

Although it's kind of in between both in terms of concept and wiring I think it's more fair to qualify it as a controller mod than a battery mod. If someone really want one, there is no doubt that it must be connected after a battery pack fuse however.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

I never took declan for the marketing type. We rode together plenty of times, and he was always a straight shooter, but now he’s marketing “God Rod” for titanium pedal rods when I’m the one who gave him the idea years ago. 

• Like 1