Begode EX30 4000W 3600Wh 134v Suspension

Just now, Uras said:

I think it's a bandaid for a poor design. Still a big mass (weight) there upon impact, even at slow speed - those pads will only absorb some of it, or very light impacts.

I'm more worried about getting thrown off the wheel when the pads/support catch on the curb. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, trailless said:

I like everything about the wheel but the low battery casing/support... I'd hate to try and go up a curb and get tossed off the wheel.

I'm seriously considering the Commander Pro now. So conflicted...

Do it, it has a real suspension system like the Sherman S and the videos that have been coming out have been positive.

Just now, oktothorpe said:

Do it, it has a real suspension system like the Sherman S and the videos that have been coming out have been positive.

Now I'm 70/30 for the commander pro. Before I knew about the low battery casings I was 100% for the ex30... 

Just now, trailless said:

Now I'm 70/30 for the commander pro. Before I knew about the low battery casings I was 100% for the ex30... 

Check out the EBCP thread on this forum, some good videos and good reviews by Marty there

Just now, Paul A said:

Is EB really separate and completely different from Begode?

It's the same company, like Lexus and Toyota.

1 hour ago, Uras said:

those pads will only absorb some of it, or very light impacts.

Whether they work to protect it is the least of my concern there. If you are trying to bonk up a kerb, and that pad contacts the ground, it will dig in and off you come, as I now see @trailless pointed out above... lols

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, oktothorpe said:

Check out the EBCP thread on this forum, some good videos and good reviews by Marty there

I'm watching both threads very closely. I'll think it over the weekend and probably call to change my preorder on monday.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, trailless said:

I'm watching both threads very closely. I'll think it over the weekend and probably call to change my preorder on monday.

I think eWheels is only getting ~20 EBCPs in the first batch according to Jason, I'm not sure how many they've sold already

12 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Whether they work to protect it is the least of my concern there. If you are trying to bonk up a kerb, and that pad contacts the ground, it will dig in and off you come, as I now see @trailless pointed out above... lols

Nice point. The hanger mount looks the lowest point though. The pad looks to have added to the initial problem in a way, by adding length to the front of the battery pack it will now catch sooner / more often. I thought that was trailless's concern, which is also a nice point if so.

Edited by Uras

I only see a future of problems with this wheel. Since I already own a Master and T4, and having had to change bearings and linkages, I think I'm done Begode for the next year or so. Going to vote with my dollars for an updated V13F/S or new KS wheel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Mango said:

I only see a future of problems with this wheel. Since I already own a Master and T4, and having had to change bearings and linkages, I think I'm done Begode for the next year or so. Going to vote with my dollars for an updated V13F/S or new KS wheel.

Whatever you get, it does seem smart to get a model that has been out for a while so that issues are known and possibly addressed. This seems to be the issue across the board.

This is an old video, but this gives some idea of how the ex30 would perform outdoors and hills with the low battery mount:

(There are other videos of the ex30 doing off-road on this youtube channel that you might want to check out as well)

Edited by BKW
  • Upvote 1

I won't post another one of these videos so I don't spam the thread, but this one is good as it shows the ex30 bottoming out with the pads hitting the floor on landing:

• Upvote 2

That first video I was watching the dude in red trying to climb the steep rock and thinking that's where I'd be concerned. Sure enough the front bottom corners of his pads are covered in rock dust or just scraped. You can slow youtube video down to .25 from 30 secs in. Nice find

59 minutes ago, Uras said:

watching the dude in red trying to climb the steep rock and thinking that's where I'd be concerned

Yep, and it dug in like I thought it would, but not enough to unfoot him this time, through luck alone I'm sure...

7 minutes ago, Uras said:

That first video I was watching the dude in red trying to climb the steep rock and thinking that's where I'd be concerned. Sure enough the front bottom corners of his pads are covered in rock dust or just scraped. You can slow youtube video down to .25 from 30 secs in. Nice find

Tbh, after seeing these videos I'm somewhat surprised that it appears the EX30 can handle this terrain fairly well. If you watch enough of this youtuber's videos of the ex30 off-road you will see it bonking large stones fairly easily. Still, it would be too close for comfort for me doing that off-road and the thought would always be in my head, "will I ram the bottom edge into something?" -- I think the answer to that would be: yes it would eventually; probably fairly often given that terrain.

The video that sticks out to me of the disadvantage of the lower battery and the protective foam is the third video I posted where the guy is clearly bottoming-out and the foam is smashing into the ground. If that foam wasn't there I'm pretty sure that battery would be hitting the ground hard, no? I did notice there is some kind of steal/metal frame thing under the battery, but I'm not sure how much protection that gives the bottom of the battery (you can see the metal frame thing in Electric Dreams video)

Edited by BKW

1 hour ago, BKW said:

but I'm not sure how much protection that gives the bottom of the battery (you can see the metal frame thing in Electric Dreams video)

I can't believe it does those batteries, and the strips that connect them any good to be repeatedly twatted hard from underneath like that on the jumps that bottom out. I've worried about that before on the Master. Metal box or no, surely the shock force will be transmitted to the batteries regardless ? Not sure if the foam covers the bottom of the packs where they hit ground, but even if it does that would still worry me a bit.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

But yet, if you look at the Sherman how much different is the bottom corner of the Sherman compared to the EX30? The Sherman has a roll bar there, whereas the EX30 has a battery... but still, I hardly hit the edge of my Sherman bonking, etc. HOWEVER, I did get in a crash once where I dented the hell out of the bottom front roll bar. This would not be good on the EX30.

Is the edge of the Sherman roll bar in the same location as the EX30 you'd say? If you don't plan on doing hard off-roading with the EX30 it'll probably be fine

sherman.jpeg.48615e196b174793fb8b0dcfd906e7b9.jpeg

Edited by BKW

There is a really good discussion about what we are discussing in the Facebook Unicycle group (those who are for it and against it). If you have facebook I suggest you check it out if you're interested:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/666662156765084/?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=5819135288184386

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BKW said:

I did get in a crash once where I dented the hell out of the bottom front roll bar. This would not be good on the EX30.

Is the edge of the Sherman roll bar in the same location as the EX30 you'd say?

This seems to be the evidence of EX30's poor design.

2 hours ago, BKW said:

But yet, if you look at the Sherman how much different is the bottom corner of the Sherman compared to the EX30? The Sherman has a roll bar there, whereas the EX30 has a battery... but still, I hardly hit the edge of my Sherman bonking, etc. HOWEVER, I did get in a crash once where I dented the hell out of the bottom front roll bar. This would not be good on the EX30.

Is the edge of the Sherman roll bar in the same location as the EX30 you'd say? If you don't plan on doing hard off-roading with the EX30 it'll probably be fine

yea this was my thought. The ex30 battery box seems to be around the same spot as non suspension wheels such as the sherman and my RS. Is it really that big of a deal when people have been taking non suspension wheels like the RS offroad and havent had crazy shell clipping issues? I think the clipping in electricdream's video partially had to do with the low tire pressure allowing compression and the battery boxes to contact the rocky hill. He also tested it without suspension for some reason and noted the battery box scraping. The early ex20s also had this clipping issue as far as I know. It definitely is an oversight, but you don't see people complain about clipping and low clearance offroad on a sherman because people know the sherman isn't an offroad wheel

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BKW said:

Yeah, but the sherman doesn't have suspension so the wheel is static whereas the EX30 the wheel will move upwards allowing the pad/metal support to come even closer to the ground.

Edited by trailless
  • Upvote 1