Begode EX30 4000W 3600Wh 134v Suspension

If the electronics are reliable and the waterproofing isn't too bad or approaching very good, it looks like a phenomenal wheel.

Better protection for battery packs, handles that serve as crashbar protection and quality metal frame. Good head and taillight. The slightly lighter weight then the Sherman S while still having crazy torque makes this wheel an enticing high performance wheel. It looks more fun to accelerate and getting up to top speed then the Sherman S with the incredible torque from the C40 motor with the 134 Volt board. 

I now own a Sherman S for almost two weeks and the build quality is fantastic, as is the suspension. But for me, it feels a bit too heavy and it is not that easy to brake as i am a lighter rider. I'm almost at 80 Kg or sometimes slightly above when fully equipped (+-176 LBS) and that's just not enough leverage against this 45 Kg (100LBS) wheel. 

While i would guess the Sherman S probably will still win on build quality and best suspension, i think the EX30 still is a winner being around the same weight, battery capacity and wheel size, and is at least a very worthy contender since the price is still quite a bit lower. So, if Begode can uphold QC on electronics with a wheel that has a good enough quality suspension and you would value performance over the Sherman S build quality and best in class suspension, you might be better off with the EX30, since it is really competitively priced. 

I might not have the best performance with the Sherman S, but what i really like, is that i have peace of mind with the Sherman S, since i haven't heard of any failures until now on those first batches. 

9 hours ago, BKW said:

The battery grinding on the ground is a hard no for me. That's a major issue. Definitely not getting this wheel now. That's also an extremely bad design choice, which is kind of ridiculous when you think about it

it does seem like his tire pressure is low which adds to the problem. He also said if the suspension is completely deflated, it scrapes on turns. But who is going to run a suspension wheel with zero suspension? The master racers use a suspension lock that locks the height. 

When have you ever hit a hill from 0-40 degrees abruptly? I can't say I have ever done that on any of my wheels. An RS would probably clip the corners the same. My RS looks like the shell goes to the same part of the battery boxes on the ex30. It does seem like a big oversight, but the ex30 was never going to be an offroad wheel for me

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Cobaltsaber said:

it does seem like his tire pressure is low which adds to the problem. He also said if the suspension is completely deflated, it scrapes on turns. But who is going to run a suspension wheel with zero suspension? The master racers use a suspension lock that locks the height. 

When have you ever hit a hill from 0-40 degrees abruptly? I can't say I have ever done that on any of my wheels. An RS would probably clip the corners the same. My RS looks like the shell goes to the same part of the battery boxes on the ex30. It does seem like a big oversight, but the ex30 was never going to be an offroad wheel for me

To each their own and I'm not saying it's not an awesome wheel. Just not for me right now I think. I'm looking for more of an all-around wheel that is very durable and the EX30 doesn't seem the best fit, but that's just a personal perspective. Obviously, many people really want this wheel and it's no doubt one of the top wheels coming out

Edited by BKW

8 hours ago, Freeforester said:

the least velcro-friendly surface upon which to attempt to place custom pads.

Yeah, people'll be needing some flat fairings for that won't they, which will presumably cover that massive gap at the top as well, but it's a shame we have to lose the cool distinctive angled pads to do that, though I wouldn't mind that, as blue is not a great colour for those anyway IMO... at least fairings should be able to bolt into battery boxes at both ends, or failing that I bet grab / filler adhesive would nail down his fuzzy velcro directly to the battery packs, although as he says, pads would be unsupported at the top without the fairings.

The massive front scraping of those battery boxes are a signature Gotway sort of oversight - it might be easily circumnavigable but really should have been designed with more clearance. Perhaps they were trying to keep the Centre of mass as low as possible ?

9 hours ago, lucaluca said:

If the electronics are reliable and the waterproofing isn't too bad or approaching very good, it looks like a phenomenal wheel.

Better protection for battery packs, handles that serve as crashbar protection and quality metal frame. Good head and taillight. The slightly lighter weight then the Sherman S while still having crazy torque makes this wheel an enticing high performance wheel. It looks more fun to accelerate and getting up to top speed then the Sherman S with the incredible torque from the C40 motor with the 134 Volt board. 

I now own a Sherman S for almost two weeks and the build quality is fantastic, as is the suspension. But for me, it feels a bit too heavy and it is not that easy to brake as i am a lighter rider. I'm almost at 80 Kg or sometimes slightly above when fully equipped (+-176 LBS) and that's just not enough leverage against this 45 Kg (100LBS) wheel. 

While i would guess the Sherman S probably will still win on build quality and best suspension, i think the EX30 still is a winner being around the same weight, battery capacity and wheel size, and is at least a very worthy contender since the price is still quite a bit lower. So, if Begode can uphold QC on electronics with a wheel that has a good enough quality suspension and you would value performance over the Sherman S build quality and best in class suspension, you might be better off with the EX30, since it is really competitively priced. 

I might not have the best performance with the Sherman S, but what i really like, is that i have peace of mind with the Sherman S, since i haven't heard of any failures until now on those first batches. 

The weight of EX30 is 49 kg. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lucaluca said:

THe EX30 is actually IP rated unlike the Sherman S. WHen it comes to that the build quality and waterproofness are better then the Shermna S.

Unfirtunatelly he did not reviewed the suspension, hopefully it is also better then the Sherman S. 

7 hours ago, BKW said:

To each their own and I'm not saying it's not an awesome wheel. Just not for me right now I think. I'm looking for more of an all-around wheel that is very durable and the EX30 doesn't seem the best fit, but that's just a personal perspective. Obviously, many people really want this wheel and it's no doubt one of the top wheels coming out

You said multiple times it s not a wheel for you. Yeah it is not a wheel for you. Others will like it. That's fine.

IMO the EX30 looks like the best wheel as of now. Much better then the Sherman S, more power, probably just as good suspension and has waterproofing unlike Liperkim. 

My only issue is powerpads, but I assume it will be solved without issue. 

1 hour ago, RaidenHUN said:

THe EX30 is actually IP rated

Do you know what the IP rating is? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Everything i read about it says improved water resistance which is not ingress protected.

Update: Smart wheels is reporting IP65 on their spec sheet, not sure if that's correct or not. You would think others would be touting that if it's correct.

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hungary said:

The weight of EX30 is 49 kg. 

Thanks for the heads up. I read somewhere it was lighter then the Sherman S, but it is actually a bit heavier then.

Do you maybe know, or someone else that reads this, where we can see an official specifications sheet that has the latest and final information on the EX30 ? 

Edited by lucaluca

2 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Do you know what the IP rating is? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Everything i read about it says improved water resistance which is not ingress protected.

Update: Smart wheels is reporting IP65 on their spec sheet, not sure if that's correct or not. You would think others would be touting that if it's correct.

It's IP65 for the motor, not the whole wheel. 

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, trailless said:

It's IP65 for the motor, not the whole wheel. 

Begode has known to tell white lies even to their dealers/distributors. For example, the Li-Tech Battery lie.

And there were rumours that some manufacturers (not Begode) had faked IP rating certification in the past. 

Personally, I would wait for a teardown and have a look-see.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Begode has known to tell white lies even to their dealers/distributors. For example, the Li-Tech Battery lie.

And there were rumours that some manufacturers (not Begode) had faked IP rating certification in the past. 

Personally, I would wait for a teardown and have a look-see.

Yup, just going off their claims. 

7 hours ago, RaidenHUN said:

THe EX30 is actually IP rated unlike the Sherman S. WHen it comes to that the build quality and waterproofness are better then the Shermna S.

Unfirtunatelly he did not reviewed the suspension, hopefully it is also better then the Sherman S. 

Someone else who has the wheel in Thailand mentionned on FB that the suspension not that great and that the ones on the commander Pro and SS are much better

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Adel said:

Someone else who has the wheel in Thailand mentionned on FB that the suspension not that great and that the ones on the commander Pro and SS are much better

Hsiang is getting an EX30 from eWheels, and then it will be shipped to Duf. Marty was joking during Duf's live stream that he is going to try to get the EX30 before Duf. 

There should be a bunch of reviews coming soon.

It will be interesting to see how the various suspension systems stack up.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Hsiang is getting an EX30 from eWheels, and then it will be shipped to Duf. Marty was joking during Duf's live stream that he is going to try to get the EX30 before Duf. 

There should be a bunch of reviews coming soon.

It will be interesting to see how the various suspension systems stack up.

Wow. What a start to the new year! I am so excited about these new wheels!

A little off topic, but I really would like to see more waterproofing done on new wheels. Yes, it may be more expensive (?), but having that known security for such an expensive piece of equipment would be ideal.

4 minutes ago, BKW said:

A little off topic, but I really would like to see more waterproofing done on new wheels. Yes, it may be more expensive (?), but having that known security for such an expensive piece of equipment would be ideal.

Me too since I ride a lot in the rain.

I think that is the trend. Inmotion is probably taking weather proofing the most serious, followed by Kingsong.

Even the EX30 is being advertised with the IP65 rating.

If Begode keep their promise made on Facebook regarding releasing fewer new models, and improve build quality, they may be able to steal market share from Kingsong and Inmotion.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, techyiam said:

If Begode keep their promise made on Facebook regarding releasing fewer new models, and improve build quality, they may be able to steal market share from Kingsong and Inmotion.

Oh, I absolutely agree. They have awesome wheels -- I haven't rode one, but going off of what is pretty much known at this point -- but if they put just that extra attention to build quality they would steal the show. But, then again, call me a pessimistic "cry baby" but we shall see what they ACTUALLY do because if my faint memory recalls, Begode doesn't always back up their talk/promises.

If the V13 wasn't so big and had similar battery size to the ex30, CP or SS, I would have seriously considered it mainly because of the waterproofing. I hate having to sideline my wheel because terrified of the rain

Also, people criticizing others for tearing apart begode for their "quality", it's important to criticize something that needs to be done because it is effective by seeing how the companies respond to constructive criticism. If something is not up to snuff then rumor goes around, which is then tested and confirmed, and then it becomes a negative reputation on a wheel or company. This hurts sales, etc. It's really up to the company to address these concerns and not toss them under the rug, so these "quality cry baby" concerns are very important imo

Edited by BKW
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, BKW said:

Also, people criticizing others for tearing apart begode for their "quality", it's important to criticize something that needs to be done because it is effective by seeing how the companies respond to constructive criticism. If something is not up to snuff then rumor goes around, which is then tested and confirmed, and then it becomes a negative reputation on a wheel or company. This hurts sales, etc. It's really up to the company to address these concerns and not toss them under the rug, so these "quality cry baby" concerns are very important imo

One would think so.

But gauging by how well the S22 have done in the marketplace, and how little and how late Kingsong reacted to the issues, I am not convinced sales are necessarily hurt.

• Like 2

What are your thoughts on the ex30 being able to bonk a curb. After taking a better look at it, it seems like the bottom pads are almost parallel to the tire... I don't see a problem going down stairs but up a curb seems like it'd be an issue. 

Screenshot_20230120_220437_YouTube.jpg

15 minutes ago, trailless said:

What are your thoughts on the ex30 being able to bonk a curb. After taking a better look at it, it seems like the bottom pads are almost parallel to the tire... I don't see a problem going down stairs but up a curb seems like it'd be an issue. 

Screenshot_20230120_220437_YouTube.jpg

yes, you're right. They've obviously added the bottom pads to try and deal with this

Edited by Uras

Just now, trailless said:

Yeah, saw the video and that's where I got the idea. I wonder how it would fair for a 6" curb bonk. 

I think it's a bandaid for a poor design. Still a big mass (weight) there upon impact, even at slow speed - those pads will only absorb some of it, or very light impacts.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oktothorpe said:

Seems like a major design flaw for a wheel that's supposed to be all-terrain

I like everything about the wheel but the low battery casing/support... I'd hate to try and go up a curb and get tossed off the wheel.

I'm seriously considering the Commander Pro now. So conflicted...