3 minutes ago, Student4Life said:

Is the trolley handle quick-removable?  E.g. does it have a screw-mount bracket, and then a spring-loaded retainer clip?  Or does I need tools to remove it?  And how does the handle perform in a tumble?  It looks like it would bend or tear off.

The trolley handle isn't quick removable but it only really takes a minute or so with a tool. I haven't had a crash on the Mten4 (yet) but I'm fairly certain it would break off .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

welp, I wiped out on a pothole in manhattan at around 12-15 mph. tore the sleeves on a nice jacket, killed my phone's screen and banged up my knuckles, otherwise mostly unhurt.

image.thumb.jpeg.8fd4486b23f7208fc1b89dd37cea7b59.jpeg

mten4 is probably totaled though, unless I can replace the frame. bent it all to shit. fortunately i was only 3 blocks away from the subway.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

actually, I think I was too quick to blame this crash on user error. upon closer inspection the axle sheared off completely, which is almost certainly what caused me to go down. anyone have an opinion on whether a snapped axle should be covered under warranty? I have a little under 600 miles on the damn thing. reached out to AR but have not heard back yet.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, joeboots said:

actually, I think I was too quick to blame this crash on user error. upon closer inspection the axle sheared off completely, which is almost certainly what caused me to go down. anyone have an opinion on whether a snapped axle should be covered under warranty? I have a little under 600 miles on the damn thing. reached out to AR but have not heard back yet.

Not enough information. It sounds like you are saying "It wasn't a pothole that caused this crash. It was caused by the axle shearing off." If you were riding on a smooth surface and the axle snapped out of nowhere, I'd say that might be a warranty fix. If you hit a deep pothole and it caused damages, I don't see how that is the manufacturer's fault, unfortunately for you. (Car, bike and scooter warranties don't cover pothole damages.) 

Also you used the words "sheared" then "snapped." Those connote very different types of damage, which could be an important distinction in some circumstances.

Sorry to hear about your accident and damaged possessions. Hopefully you were unscathed. 

• Upvote 1

If your Mten IS totalled, and you are still in the mood for a small, light wheel, the upcoming Begode A2 might be something to look at? But the Vet Patton, complete with pothole-eating suspension, might be even more appropriate? Suspensions fight potholes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I assumed it was a pothole because of how the crash went down, but I didn't actually see it. The roadway was covered with water from construction activity, which I had assumed was hiding the pothole, but I was too busted up to spend time investigating. So it could have been two things: the axle sheared from normal riding on smooth surface, or it sheared from absorbing the impact of riding into/thru a small pothole. I guess I gotta go back to the crash location to see if I can identify the pothole (if any) that caused the crash.

And it was sheared, not snapped.

As of today, I do not weigh more than 220 lbs! But cutting it close...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, joeboots said:

I assumed it was a pothole because of how the crash went down, but I didn't actually see it. The roadway was covered with water from construction activity, which I had assumed was hiding the pothole, but I was too busted up to spend time investigating. So it could have been two things: the axle sheared from normal riding on smooth surface, or it sheared from absorbing the impact of riding into/thru a small pothole. I guess I gotta go back to the crash location to see if I can identify the pothole (if any) that caused the crash.

And it was sheared, not snapped.

As of today, I do not weigh more than 220 lbs! But cutting it close...

Does the wheel switch on? If not, might  be the power plug disconnecting by itself that caused the crash. Its a special feature of that wheel (Dont ask me how i know).

Edited by Ronin Ryder

Got an update from AR - begode will warranty my motor, but not my frame. It was pretty badly bent but I've heard folks have had success bending it back. Has anyone seen anybody reinforce their mten4 frame? I think that's what I'd like to do, not sure where the best places to weld reinforcing angles would be. 

image.thumb.jpeg.35d919b84193639d0603a344d7a8cf7f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f8e9b9c4ccd2677b6014a4c200d283fe.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 8:00 PM, joeboots said:

Haha I'm all too (personally) familiar with that particular feature of the mten4. Mine has the 3d printed retaining clip installed. The wheel still powers on.

Does anyone have the "retaining clip" 3D-printer file? My mTen4 needs it. I am using duct tape in the mean time. :whistling:

On 3/30/2023 at 4:28 PM, joeboots said:

I think my brother's is a 1st batch. Mine definitely was. You're exactly right - the cable is too short, and it vibrates loose. There's a 3d printed clip design floating around to hold it in place. My brother's printing two of them for us. My pedal screws also vibrated loose fairly early on.

Do you have the file, or can point me where to get it?

-------

EDIT: nevermind, found it: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5600589

Edited by edwin_rm

• 2 weeks later...

a warning to others - even with the 3d printed battery clip installed, my brother's mten4 failed while riding on the bike path last weekend at 15 mph. he got 10 stiches in his knee. the battery clip kept the two parts of the clip (xt90?) attached, but the red battery wire was a few mm shorter than the other two battery wires and the red wire's solder connection inside the clip broke! he lost power and cut out immediately, triggering a crash.

so be warned! if your battery cables are too short and there's tension on them when installed, the battery clip is not sufficient protection! the wires need to be lengthened or otherwise reinforced as well.

• Sad 4

Just got an mten4 used. Frame was slightly bent up front but nothing a Rubber mallet couldn’t fix. 

question, is it normal for the headlight to go dim after some long distance riding? I suspect it may be heat related. It was plenty bright for 15 minutes of riding, then went dim, until I turned it off and on again, then bright for 3 min or so before it goes dim again. Rinse and repeat. 

any fix?

PS: 18 gps miles with 73v remaining. 40 psi street tire 750Wh. 185 lb. This wheel desperately needed some pedal angle adjustment, just curious about that headlight dimming. 

Edited by Ben Kim

That is not normal. I have a few friends with Mten4s and all their lights work as long as they’re turned on. Like any other wheel. I don’t have an answer on how to fix your light, sorry. Someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in I’m sure. 

4 hours ago, joeboots said:

not normal, I'd assume the headlight assembly needs to be replaced

Someone suggested they had the same issue on the “fun lights” firmware.  I will try switching back to the non fun firmware and see if the issue comes back. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jonesq said:

I no longer want a mten4 after reading this thread

Hopefully you base your decision either way on more than a single thread on a single forum on a single interweb. The opinions of maybe 20 people vs. thousands of Mten4's sold. 

Having said that, it IS a specialty wheel with many quirks...

• Upvote 1

The MTen4 is a deeply fraught piece of equipment. With a few minor manufacturing improvements, it could be great.

1) fix the battery cable issues. Probably sorted in newer versions

2) waterproofing. As manufactured, the MTen4 will fail in the presence of mist. This is easily remedied with a tube of rtv silicone, but begode should be doing this in the factory

3) stronger axle. At 220lbs, I'm right at the weight limit, and I've already broke one axle. I won't be doing any curbs or drops on this new one

It's still just about the most fun you can have on one wheel, and perfect for urban environments. I wish other manufacturers would make similar scale wheels.

• Upvote 1

On 7/31/2023 at 10:34 PM, Jonesq said:

I no longer want a mten4 after reading this thread

I love my mten4. I like it even better than my master. The unique ride experience you cannot get on any other wheel. It taught me how to pendulum and ride backwards and it translates to bigger wheels easily. The mten4 makes you feel like a pro rider

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(With the Ex in the shop for the past week...)

I put 30 kms on my MTen4 yesterday. All easy riding, I find it's great up to about 28kmh, after that it starts to get a bit wobbly. I've only been seriously riding it for a few days, my comfortable top speed seems to be gradually going up, but even if it doesn't get much higher it is surprising how often 28-29 kmh is enough. Amazingly it actually works as a commuter vehicle for 10kms or less I would say. I would never have done that with the MTen3.

Riding weight is 240, height is 6.1, I don't do curb drops, I'm careful with pendulums when battery is below 50%.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/3/2023 at 11:10 AM, Clem604 said:

I'm one of those who also loves their Mten4 but had the A2 been availiable when I bought It I would have considered that instead. Either way it's a wheel that serves a good purpose, FUN!

Got to try an A2 the other day. Build quality is excellent. Wish my Mten4 was built that good. Ride wise though, the A2 was underwhelming. It doesnt have the fun nimbleness of the mten4. The larger tire and stableness makes you want to ride faster, but it still has mten4 performance, speed and range. Makes the A2 feel limited for the entire ride. Its great for commuting from point A to B, but the mten4 is so much more fun

Edited by Cobaltsaber
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2