Huh I guess you got the secret extra lightweight one that nobody knew existed. If it's the 40T cells it's probably adequate current delivery on the one 300Wh pack, just ultra short range.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cobaltsaber said:

mten4s is with the 40t cells specifically. Thats all the "s" means

i'm debating whether I should send the whole thing back for them to put the other battery in. Likely they'll want to send me the extra battery for me to install, which is kind of crappy considering how long I waited for this since the whole reason we waited for months for this is exactly what begode did to them, and now ewheels did to me.

whatever, i know jason is a good dude and ewheels is a good place. just disappointed I'm likely gonna have to do this

Edited by BKW

3 minutes ago, BKW said:

i'm debating whether I should send the whole thing back for them to put the other battery in. Likely they'll want to send me the extra battery for me to install, which is kind of crappy considering how long I waited for this since the whole reason we waited for months for this is exactly what begode did to them, and now ewheels did to me.

whatever, i know jason is a good dude and ewheels is a good place. just disappointed I'm likely gonna have to do this

Im not sure why they even split the packs to be smaller with the different cells. Who asked for that?

I specifically remember seeing a chart with the EX30, EX30s, Master pro, Master pro s, mten4 and mten4s and the only difference on the spec sheet was the use of 40t cells

1 minute ago, Cobaltsaber said:

Im not sure why they even split the packs to be smaller with the different cells. Who asked for that?

I specifically remember seeing a chart with the EX30, EX30s, Master pro, Master pro s, mten4 and mten4s and the only difference on the spec sheet was the use of 40t cells

40T cells are a supposedly a safer choice for smaller battery packs because less voltage sag among other things i hardly know anything about.

but, this wheel dropped 30% in 3 miles with the 300wh and I wasn't even really pushing it hard. does 15% battery drop in 3 miles on 600wh 40T cells sound normal? How many miles would that give me? 20 miles or so?

2 minutes ago, BKW said:

40T cells are a supposedly a safer choice for smaller battery packs because less voltage sag among other things i hardly know anything about.

but, this wheel dropped 30% in 3 miles with the 300wh and I wasn't even really pushing it hard. does 15% battery drop in 3 miles on 600wh 40T cells sound normal? How many miles would that give me? 20 miles or so?

yea 20 miles sounds about right. I get about 21 miles on my mten4 with 750wh of 50e cells. Ive only done tests in the late fall/winter so its been colder. I might be able to squeeze 25 miles on my mten in the summer. So with 600wh 40t cells, 20 miles seems around the ballpark

• Like 1

I've ridden my Mten4 at around 10C when I first got it and I was consistently able to get 20 miles with the knobby,  I was able to squeak out a little more with the street tire. I haven't ridden it in warm summer time temps yet so I can probably expect to get even more.

• Like 1

OK cool about the range, thanks.

My first impression is not that great tbh, but near the end of the 3 miles I felt like I was getting more control/comfortable with it and I thought I should hold off my impression until I get used to it.

Anyway, what do you guys think I should do? Send the whole thing back and have them send me one with 600wh? Or have them send me the other 300wh for me to install? I feel like if I do the second option I should get some kind of discount or something. I know that sounds bad of me, but I waited 3-4 months over the time it was supposed to arrive due this exact problem begode did to them, and now ewheels turned around and did it to me. Plus, I have no experience with setting this stuff up. I'm kind of upset I have to go through this tbh

Edited by BKW

1 minute ago, BKW said:

OK cool about the range, thanks.

My first impression is not that great tbh, but near the end of the 3 miles I felt like I was getting more control/comfortable with it and I thought I should hold off my impression until I get used to it.

Anyway, what do you guys think I should do? Send the whole thing back and have them send me one with 600wh? Or have them send me the other 300wh for me to install? I feel like if I do the second option I should get some kind of discount or something. I know that sounds bad of me, but I waited 4 months over the time it was supposed to arrive due this exact problem begode did to them, and now ewheels turned around and did it to me. Plus, I have no experience with setting this stuff up. I'm kind of upset I have to go through this tbh

Yea my very first mten4 ride I was sketched out tbh. Wobbling at like 10-15mph all over the place, but once I got the hang of it I loved it. Mten4 is THE pendulum and backwards riding wheel. The zippy lightweightness combined with more balance required from the rider make it an excellent training tool that transfers skill to your bigger wheels

If you send your mten4 back in for a 600wh version, how long do you have to wait again? I would just opt to do the install myself at a discount. The mten4 construction isnt that bad compared to most wheels. Like a typical begode, its easy to work on. If the wait is relatively quick, then sure send it back for a 600wh version

20 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Send it back, it's not what you paid for!

I had to bend the metal frame attachments with a wrench to put on the trolley handle. In the process the cheap nuts on the back frame that you put the screws into fell off (hard to describe). In other words, the back frame is bent with nuts missing because I had a hell of a time trying to put on the trolley handle due to the bent frame. I did all this before I rode the wheel so I had no idea about the 300wh battery pack yet.

Anyway, I'm kind of with you on this. I waited a very long time for this, and the whole reason I had to wait so long was because ewheels was supposed to fix this exact 300wh issue and install and verify the 600wh packs. Me getting this wheel with 300wh pack makes me feel like they didn't really even do the proper checks before sending it out. They did send me the one with the street tire I asked for, however.

If I send it back they'll be getting a slight damaged back frame due to installing the trolley handle, but I'll mention this and I think Jason will understand. I don't feel like I should have to install the packs. I realize I'm being kind of petty here, but you're right, this isn't what I paid for and this is their mistake (I do kind of feel bad about the back part though)

I don't care about waiting a couple more weeks for it. Anyway, I'll just wait for a response from them and go from there. Thanks for the vent session <_<

Edited by BKW
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BKW said:

I had to bend the metal frame attachments with a wrench to put on the trolley handle. In the process the cheap nuts on the back frame that you put the screws into fell off (hard to describe). In other words, the back frame is bent with nuts missing because I had a hell of a time trying to put on the trolley handle due to the bent frame. I did all this before I rode the wheel so I had no idea about the 300wh battery pack yet.

Anyway, I'm kind of with you on this. I waited a very long time for this, and the whole reason I had to wait so long was because ewheels was supposed to fix this exact 300wh issue and install and verify the 600wh packs. Me getting this wheel with 300wh pack makes me feel like they didn't really even do the proper checks before sending it out. They did send me the one with the street tire I asked for, however.

If I send it back they'll be getting a slight damaged back frame due to installing the trolley handle, but I'll mention this and I think Jason will understand. I don't feel like I should have to install the packs. I realize I'm being king of petty here, but you're right, this isn't what I paid for and this is their mistake (I do kind of feel bad about the back part though)

I don't care about waiting a couple more weeks for it

Couple more weeks? Yea id send it back. Sounds like a meh experience, but hopefully you get the mten you wished for soon! Theres nothing else like it on the market (which is a good and bad thing lol)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cobaltsaber said:

Couple more weeks? Yea id send it back. Sounds like a meh experience, but hopefully you get the mten you wished for soon! Theres nothing else like it on the market (which is a good and bad thing lol)

not sure how long it'll take to send a replacement. But yeah, near the end of my 3 mile ride I was starting to get a feel for it. I was afraid to push it hard, over torque/accelerate, and cut out the wheel though. Not sure of its limits yet.

Also, I personally thought it'd be faster feeling. Supposedly I was going 20 mph but it felt like 15 at best.

Edited by BKW

My box said 300wh on it, but the battery was a twin pack of 300. Jason has been sending them out as they've been putting the batteries in. I get about 10 miles on my mten3, not going very fast. But it gets lots of voltage sag due to my weight. Today, I just rode it around the halls at my work. For sure more power, and not nearly the sag I experienced on the 3. I'm very happy with my ewheels purchase, even though it took a while. 

I didn't realize the frame came bent out of the box. You definitely didn't pay for that and should get a replacement. I don't know how the ones with the 40T pack are but I've had no issues with my 750wh version.

8 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

I didn't realize the frame came bent out of the box. You definitely didn't pay for that and should get a replacement. I don't know how the ones with the 40T pack are but I've had no issues with my 750wh version.

it was warped is probably a better term, where the left side of the frame was against the left side of the wheel and the right side had a larger gap. I thought it was normal considering how malleable this frame was to bend back, which I did.

Did your mten4 frame feel malleable? In other words, do you think you could bend the frame back in place easily if it were up against the side of your wheel? Because it was pretty dang easy to do for me.

Honestly, what kind of "metal" is that frame? It's malleable like slightly thicker sheet metal. It's kind of ridiculous for a frame of an EUC

Edited by BKW
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BKW said:

it was warped is probably a better term, where the left side of the frame was against the left side of the wheel and the right side had a larger gap. I thought it was normal considering how malleable this frame was to bend back, which I did.

Did your mten4 frame feel malleable? In other words, do you think you could bend the frame back in place easily if it were up against the side of your wheel? Because it was pretty dang easy to do for me.

Honestly, what kind of "metal" is that frame? It's malleable like slightly thicker sheet metal. It's kind of ridiculous for a frame of an EUC

Yeah it's not great TBH. Mine feels pretty solid but I'm also pretty gentle with it. No issues yet with the wheel after 211 miles (340Km's) of riding . I heard last year that they are coming out with a version that has a reinforced frame and a street tire option from the factory?? I haven't heard much about it since then.

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BKW said:

I didnt realize my kickstand was slightly bent until I installed a wider tire and it scraped on one side. I had to bang it back but now everything is true and not rubbing. Its pretty weak metal

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cobaltsaber said:

I didnt realize my kickstand was slightly bent until I installed a wider tire and it scraped on one side. I had to bang it back but now everything is true and not rubbing. Its pretty weak metal

Yeah, that's basically exactly what was wrong with my wheel. It was warped so much that the holes that are supposed to be aligned vertically to attach the trolley to the back were not aligned. If I had tried to install the trolley handle without bending the frame back the trolley handle would have opened at an angle from the wheel

thanks for confirming the weak frame because I was beginning to worry maybe ewheels sent me one of the very first mten4s ever lol. But it appears the frame is just weak AF

Edited by BKW

57 minutes ago, kiitick said:

My box said 300wh on it, but the battery was a twin pack of 300. Jason has been sending them out as they've been putting the batteries in. I get about 10 miles on my mten3, not going very fast. But it gets lots of voltage sag due to my weight. Today, I just rode it around the halls at my work. For sure more power, and not nearly the sag I experienced on the 3. I'm very happy with my ewheels purchase, even though it took a while. 

Jason sent you a box with a 300wh label for an mten4? Under your avatar it says you only own a mten3?

Anyway, yeah, you might be right about jason saving the old boxes of 300wh mten4s when begode first sent them, installing the other 300wh battery in the mten4s, then shipping the new 600wh eucs in the old 300wh original boxes. This could be the case. But, like I said, I also got a spec sheet that said it was 300wh mten4 and i dropped 30% in 3 miles on it's first trip.

I'll have to confirm with Jason or do some research to see how I can tell myself (maybe thorough EUC World indicator on the app, or a physical inspection myself, idk).

How can I tell if I have a 300wh mten4 in the meantime? Any quick pointers?

Edited by BKW

1 hour ago, BKW said:

How can I tell if I have a 300wh mten4 in the meantime? Any quick pointers?

Short of opening up the wheel, I think only by monitoring the charging. Best if you have a wall socket amperage/wattage/Wh meter, but you can calculate pretty well from the charging process as well:

Write down the exact battery voltage before charging. Plug in the charger, check the time, and check the charging current from an app. The current will start to decrease once the charging voltage closes up on the maximum. When that happens, unplug the charger, check the time, wait for 10 minutes and check the end voltage.

With the above information we can help calculate the amount of Wh that went into the battery, and the estimated total Wh.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Short of opening up the wheel, I think only by monitoring the charging. Best if you have a wall socket amperage/wattage/Wh meter, but you can calculate pretty well from the charging process as well:

Write down the exact battery voltage before charging. Plug in the charger, check the time, and check the charging current from an app. The current will start to decrease once the charging voltage closes up on the maximum. When that happens, unplug the charger, check the time, wait for 10 minutes and check the end voltage.

With the above information we can help calculate the amount of Wh that went into the battery, and the estimated total Wh.

I think I'm going to open up the wheel and look to see if there are two battery packs. I got a response back from ewheels saying all documentation shows 300wh because that's what Begode initially sent them and ewheels had to manually put in the other 300wh,so that's why I see on spec sheet 300wh and on shipping box label.

They also told me that the 600wh mten4 should be closer to 28/29 lbs,.and the 300wh will be closer to 26lbs. So I can check weight as well.

It's just strange to me that I lost 30 percent battery in 3 miles. I had it charged around 53% when I took it out, and it dropped around 20-24% after the short trip. Does that sound normal to you if I started at 53% and went 3 miles with 600wh 40T batteries? That doesn't seem right to me personally with 600wh -- that seems more align with a 300wh battery

Also, I even charged it slightly before taking it out so that means it was shipped with under 53% battery life. Shouldn't it have been shipped with like 80 or 90%? Or does it matter? Why such a low percentage when I got it?

Edited by BKW

3 hours ago, BKW said:

I think I'm going to open up the wheel and look to see if there are two battery packs.

You will only see one battery pack regardless of which version, I believe. The 600wh packs they installed were an entire replacement, not just adding a second 300wh battery pack. (They are internally doubled with a single power connector from what I heard)

3 hours ago, BKW said:

I got a response back from ewheels saying all documentation shows 300wh because that's what Begode initially sent them and ewheels had to manually put in the other 300wh,so that's why I see on spec sheet 300wh and on shipping box label.

This is 100% what I was expecting to be the case when I first heard about the 300wh vs 600wh confusion

I do think if you want to verify the only way will be to open the top cover, remove the mainboard, and check the label on the battery.

My main concern in all this is whether or not there are any other differences in things like the firmware for the 300Wh version of the wheel that may limit things in some way that would not be the case for the 600wh or 750wh, because those limits would still be in play even though ewheels swapped in the 600wh pack.

9 hours ago, Clem604 said:

I heard last year that they are coming out with a version that has a reinforced frame and a street tire option from the factory?? I haven't heard much about it since then.

That is supposed to be these wheels. ewheels is the first retailer I have seen to offer this specific street tire, and they mentioned the reinforced frame in an email (though I have not seen any proof/photos to confirm the reinforced frame and am unclear on how exactly that is supposed to be the case)

We should also see that the ewheels mten4 side pads are black instead of the bluish color the other retailers have had previously. (Though I don't know if the alienrides 300wh mten4's would be blue or black, haven't heard anything about them other than that they exist)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BKW said:

it appears the frame is just weak AF

Begode could announce a new model Mten4 with a reinforced cardboard frame, as an April Fools day prank......and people would probably just accept it as an improvement......and place orders for it.    <_<

Edited by Paul A
  • Haha 2