8 minutes ago, UPONIT said:

My pedal "upgrade." Please excuse the mud and dust. It's been raining.

mten pedals.jpg

I might just try this when I get my mten4. I have a couple regular grip tape pedals from my 16X and SherMax lying around, maybe I'll put those on instead of spikes because the mten4 only goes ~20mph? Maybe I'll come up with a solution to add studs to the grip tape pedals

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UPONIT said:

My impression is that the set screw prevents back and forth sliding, and the end screws with nylon bumpers are what provides the friction for pedal open/close? Either way, they work fine on the Mten4.

Hmm actually you may be right. I've had my v10f far longer than I've had the v11 (to the point that I have not yet had to tighten the pedals on the v11); on the v10f, the grub screw on the bottom is definitely what controls the flappiness of the pedals, but based on this discussion thread it seems that it may be the other way around for the v11 and v12, which match the pedal type you are using:

• Like 1

I'm starting to have doubts about my deposit for the mten4. I think I'll get it and won't use it much as I thought I would, especially considering I have the 16X. Considering the busy streets of NYC, crappy roads, etc., I think I might prefer using my 16X for shorter trips and errands. Been thinking of canceling the deposit even though I already purchased a trolley handle for it :unsure:

I'm starting to think I may get bored with it quickly and not use it much. I don't really ride EUCs on my off days because I use them all day 5 days a week for work already, so I'm thinking the mten4 not be right for me. But then, the other half of me says, "why not? you already bought the trolley handle and what is 1K for a mten4?"

Edited by BKW
  • Like 1

Yeah, I know what you mean - I'd be wondering the same, and 1000 on something you don't end up using much is the sort of thing that might annoy me over time, especially as the re-sale value probably isn't going to be great, specially considering the speed at which Begode will probably come up with its successor.

But I see people like Chooch having an absolute ball on his, despite the other 5 'better' wheels sitting in his garage, so it's obviously got some kind of charm of its own !! :)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

But I see people like Chooch having an absolute ball on his, despite the other 5 'better' wheels sitting in his garage, so it's obviously got some kind of charm of its own !! :)

Yeah, I think if I didn't have the 16X i wouldn't be so hesitant as I am lately. And a big appeal of the mten4 for me was seeing how chooch was having a blast off-road with it. I like the idea of having to really work with the wheel to overcome obstacles, like a fun challenge. But, I likely won't do hardly any off-roading with it in the city and the only time I can think of using it would be for errands, but I already have the 16X.

The only reason I would want this wheel now is for the novelty of it. I most definitely don't need it, and it would have to be a conscious choice to consistently choose it over the 16X for short errands.

BAH! Second thoughts creeping in!

FYI: I found that I still have time to cancel the begode trolley handle as well...

Edited by BKW

2 hours ago, BKW said:

I'm starting to have doubts about my deposit for the mten4. I think I'll get it and won't use it much as I thought I would, especially considering I have the 16X. Considering the busy streets of NYC, crappy roads, etc., I think I might prefer using my 16X for shorter trips and errands. Been thinking of canceling the deposit even though I already purchased a trolley handle for it :unsure:

I'm starting to think I may get bored with it quickly and not use it much. I don't really ride EUCs on my off days because I use them all day 5 days a week for work already, so I'm thinking the mten4 not be right for me. But then, the other half of me says, "why not? you already bought the trolley handle and what is 1K for a mten4?"

Well, that's why cancellations exist. Eventually, it will be a stock item and you won't have to wait for weeks, which just invites second guessing. If you couldn't cancel the trolley handle, I'm sure you could sell it for a couple dollars less?

I ride mine all the time because it's so portable, fun and easy to stow. I don't have a commute. But if I'm waiting for any reason near an empty space, I take it out of its spot in my truck and rip around to get in practice.

Other benefit: I can stand still balanced on it for almost 30 seconds, ride backwards a few feet, and pendulum for about a minute, all without any organized practice. I don't know if that will ever translate to the same ability on larger wheels. It hasn't so far, dang it. And I doubt I will ever be able to ride it seated like some can. Yikes. My knees don't work that way.

I've never ridden a 16X, so can't compare them.

TLDR: You don't NEED it. If you're not sure you WANT it, then spend the $1K on safety gear/pads/stands/lights for your other wheels? It'll be around, probably with improvements, and you can always get it later. :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UPONIT said:

I doubt I will ever be able to ride it seated like some can. Yikes. My knees don't work that way.

It's funny you should mention that. I was finally able to ride seated on the MTen4 just yesterday after weeks of trying. It's not comfortable or easy so I won't actually be riding it that way but it sure looks funny.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Clem604 said:

It's funny you should mention that. I was finally able to ride seated on the MTen4 just yesterday after weeks of trying. It's not comfortable or easy so I won't actually be riding it that way but it sure looks funny.

:clap3:WOW! That's impressive. I'm 6ft and I can't even sit on it when it's not moving! :wub:

I get what you mean about looking funny. (Welcome to the Mten4, right?) But forget that! Anybody who understands the difficulty and sees you, would probably give a standing ovation! 

$20 bucks if you post a picture. :D

• Haha 1

I decided to just go ahead and stick with my deposit and get the mten4. My next and last purchase for an EUC for a long time -- unless I trade a wheel -- will be the EBCP, but considering how I won't get that wheel until batch 2 or later, the mten4 will keep me busy in the mean time :)

Edited by BKW
  • Like 2

I went into buying the mTen4 not knowing how much I would like it or how often I would ride...  I ride it alot actually!  In bad weather, which often happens in Seattle, my 2 car garage feels like a stadium on a wheel that's hyper agile like the mTen.  I only wish the frame was a bit more sturdy, it is super simple to bend the frame.  It bends back in place pretty easy, but how much can it take doing that?

1 minute ago, Rich Sam said:

I went into buying the mTen4 not knowing how much I would like it or how often I would ride...  I ride it alot actually!  In bad weather, which often happens in Seattle, my 2 car garage feels like a stadium on a wheel that's hyper agile like the mTen.  I only wish the frame was a bit more sturdy, it is super simple to bend the frame.  It bends back in place pretty easy, but how much can it take doing that?

I've heard the newer version of the Mten4 has the reinforced frame (go figure :rolleyes:).I haven't had to bend the frame back so I couldn't tell you how the frame is going to handle that but at least you can buy the newer version should yours break.

9 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

I've heard the newer version of the Mten4 has the reinforced frame (go figure :rolleyes:).I haven't had to bend the frame back so I couldn't tell you how the frame is going to handle that but at least you can buy the newer version should yours break.

Thinking of getting the trolley just because it helps enforce the frame, or maybe I will 3d print something that will enforce.  Its bad enough, that the distributors should offer a kit to enforce them. In my opinion.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Clem604 said:

Hello,

How do you know you're going to buy the newer version ? 

Cheers :)

3 hours ago, LeKeiser said:

Hello,

How do you know you're going to buy the newer version ? 

Cheers :)

Ask dealer before you buy.

I'm not sure what ppl are doing to bend their frames?? :shock2:

Edited by UPONIT

On 1/18/2023 at 2:40 AM, rebeuc said:

I'm sorry to hear that; Please keep us updated if you get any sort of resolution (or even if you get the runaround with no answer)

Good news pertaining to the mileage display issues, the firmware will be updated recently by the engineer of Begode. 

• Like 2

On 2/3/2023 at 10:42 AM, UPONIT said:

Ask dealer before you buy.

I'm not sure what ppl are doing to bend their frames?? :shock2:

He can say whatever he wants, he wants to sell the Mten4... 
There is no way to know if it's a newer version? The serial number ? Something distinctive ? 

On 2/3/2023 at 8:54 AM, YCC said:

Good news pertaining to the mileage display issues, the firmware will be updated recently by the engineer of Begode. 

if you watch hsiang's video on the mten4, when he went to update the firmware he bricked his mten4 because the wheel needed a kill-switch to do begode's typical updates, but the mten4 doesn't have one. So I'm curious how they expect us to update?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BKW said:

if you watch hsiang's video on the mten4, when he went to update the firmware he bricked his mten4 because the wheel needed a kill-switch to do begode's typical updates, but the mten4 doesn't have one. So I'm curious how they expect us to update?

Per my understanding, the normal upgrade process does NOT require use of the spin-kill button.

It's only if the upgrade fails or the bootloader gets stuck in a bad state that you may need to use the spin kill button to get the wheel back in a reset state where it will properly accept the firmware update. So if everything goes well that will never come up.

It is concerning, though. You could always solder on a spin kill button as I understand the traces are there on the board, but who wants to have to go through that?

I haven't heard any commentary on this in a while; hopefully they have some sort of fix (even if it doesn't come into effect until after you've done at least one 'risky' update), but I don't have much hope. (Spin kill button is something I fully expect later batches to eventually offer, but who knows when that will be)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, BKW said:

Firstly, connect to the app of Begode, meanwhile, and then make sure that the power button is pressed when you press the update click.

Secondly, press and hold the power button until the 100% update process is complete. The power of the wheel will be lost, but the display will still function when the update processing is processed.

Finally, the issue of display was solved.A1FA4A6D-5916-42C3-9970-B1CCD328640A.thumb.jpeg.5d1569237cbf6e8f79cdc641132a93d0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1