US federal agency wants a recall of Kingsong 16s due to fire hazard

GothamMike

CPSC Warns Consumers to Immediately Stop Using King Song Electric Unicycles Due to Fire Hazard; Fire and Injuries Reported | CPSC.gov

I can't find any particulars about the fire, or about what kind of testing they did.

For twitter users here is their post; it would be a good time to get on there and reply to USCPSC with something positive about KS and/or eWheels.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Robse said:

Yes. every battery pack can overheat. Even the NickelMetal  AA for my kids toys will eventually catch fire if overcharged .... so the point is that..  batteries represents danger of fire

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

So everything driven by Li Ion cells has to be disposed.

Immediately! We are doomed! 

You are preaching to the choir.

EUC's are now on their radar. They have already requested Kingsong and eWheels to do a voluntary recall, and they both refused.

Although, CPSC could put out a Commission Ordered Recall, they haven't yet.

My thoughts are that it would be more productive if somehow we can get hold of their tests and see whether the tests are reasonable pertaining to public safety. And find out which tests the KS-16S failed in. Who knows, maybe the tests are reasonable, and not too difficult to pass. Aren't there now hoover boards that are legal for sale in the USA.

I think the fire has been lit under the importers and manufacturers feet. No pun intended. 

Note that the complaint is focused only on the battery packs.

If the NHTSA of the DOT gets involved, it could become much, much more expensive. 

In Canada it is already too late. New legislation came in effect in February 2021, ruling any PEV'S imported into or manufactured in Canada, which has a top speed exceeding 32 km/h, or resembles legal motor vehicles in part or in whole, are no longer unregulated, and now have to comply with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act. That means they are now illegal in Canada. One can play the off-road use card, but then you would have to argue with the Canadian Motor Vehicle and Traffic Safety Branch of Transport Canada. This federal agency doesn't go after the individual owners. They go after the importers and manufacturers. Similar agencies at the provincial and municipal level go after the individual owners or operators. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Only the early RS builds with LG M50T cells... but see the other thread for discussion on it.

Thanku :-) - but it seems like an  US option - how about wheels sold in europe?  Do they have the LG M50T cells?

22 hours ago, Robse said:

how about wheels sold in europe?  Do they have the LG M50T cells?

Despite that thread title focused on ewheels USA... it's regarding the 2020-era problem-prone M50T packs that were supplied by Gotway to all global markets. 
So yes, Gotways sold in Europe during that time (2020 thru early 2021) did include those cells.

Open the left-side cover and lift up your battery pack to inspect the label and confirm the cell type, if you're unsure.

Edited by RagingGrandpa

47 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Nevermind that thread title focused on ewheels USA; it's regarding the 2020-era problem-prone M50T packs that were supplied by Gotway to all global markets. 
So yes, Gotways sold in Europe during that time (2020 thru early 2021) did include those cells.

Open the left-side cover and lift up your battery pack to inspect the label and confirm the cell type, if you're unsure.

I am about to buy one (instead of the V12,5)  😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gon2fast said:

"CPSC urges consumers to stop using the unicycles with model number KS-16S immediately and dispose of them at a recycling facility or household hazardous waste collection point."

Or you can drop them off at my house (and pay my e-waste recycling fee). Don't forgot to bring the chargers!

Brilliant! How much is the recycling fee? Can I get a discount if I recycle 10 wheels with you? 

23 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Can I get a discount if I recycle 10 wheels with you?

Let me check with my manager, I am sure she will not mind more wheels in the garage LOL.  Jokes aside, this BS may force the vendors into a recall (pretty sure that the manufacturers are not going to reimburse the vendors if this does happen). Not good at all.

Manufacturers really need to step up their game in safety, we are at risk of fire and being banned. Article below:

Some electric unicycles may be unsafe due to the risk of fire, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission warned. 

The federal agency is urging owners of the King Song electric unicycle model number KS-16S to get rid of them at a recycling or household hazardous waste drop-off site. 

The CPSC knows of one fire related to the unicycles that resulted in smoke inhalation injuries to two people and substantial property damage to a commercial building, it said on Tuesday. 

CPSC Warns Consumers to Immediately Stop Using King Song Electric Unicycles Due to Fire Hazard; Fire and Injuries Reported: https://t.co/pBTGcUWLdR pic.twitter.com/v4DSaboBFb

— US Consumer Product Safety Commission (@USCPSC) July 12, 2022

The agency tested the product and determined the battery pack can overheat and catch fire.

Made by King Song Intell Co. of China, the unicycles are imported and sold by companies including EWheels of Miami Beach, Florida, according to the federal safety agency. 

King Song and EWheels have refused to recall the product, the CPSC said.

The potentially dangerous unicycles have "King Song" printed on their pedals, and come in white, silver, matte black or black. Each has a black tire and multi-colored lights that light up when in use. The serial number of the affected unicycles begins with "KS16S." 

The unicycles are currently being sold for between $1,200 and $1,350 online at www.ewheels.com and other retailers. 

While the word "unicycle" likely conjures images of a funny-looking contraption ridden by a clown or someone in a top hat, the battery-powered version looks more high tech, and goes further and faster.

Source:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/king-song-electric-unicycles-fire-risk-cpsc-ewheels/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab8d&linkId=173095658

On 7/12/2022 at 4:42 PM, Funky said:

"Confiscate" you mean steal? Here i fixed that for you. :D They will need to catch me first, before i give it to someone. Because it's plain simple thievery. "Confiscate" Ha.. makes me laugh.

Good thing i don't have license. Also i don't drive with cars - so they can't give a crap. (Question: Can you get penalty points, if you ride regular bike on sidewalk?)

We got 2 wheels. We know what can happen. We really don't think about that. "Home insurance" We don't have one. Heck our 3 room apartment cost ~35k.. Older "brick" 5floor house. (Fire literally can't spread to neighbors..) Worst case scenario everything will burnout. Best scenario 1 room burns down. ~10k down the drain. I'm thinking of buying metal cabinet for mine wheel.. At least there will be only smoke damage if fire happens.

worst case fire starts while sleeping & someone in ur house gets injured! As long as safety standards allow the liability of li-on packs, manuf will not devl safer tech. My wheels are now in a metal box with a cement board cover ( to contain flames) and never charge overnight. Ebike sales are exploding and pack fires will likely increase such that regulatory standards will also be raised once enough houses catch fire...

45 minutes ago, redsnapper said:

worst case fire starts while sleeping & someone in ur house gets injured! As long as safety standards allow the liability of li-on packs, manuf will not devl safer tech. My wheels are now in a metal box with a cement board cover ( to contain flames) and never charge overnight. Ebike sales are exploding and pack fires will likely increase such that regulatory standards will also be raised once enough houses catch fire...

Hey the wheel sits right next to my bed. When the burning starts, i at least will hear batteries pooping like popcorn. :D Or my feet will start roasting and i will smell bacon. :thumbup:

I hope you got that cement board at least somehow "fixed" to the box. The board otherwise could fly off, because of all the battery gases. (You know that firebomb effect..) Simply putting on won't do. Also i hope the box sits on some bricks or something.. Because the floor could also catch on fire, because of heat.

Next week or so, i will get 1.5mm thick wall metal closet 60Wx80Hx30D (Wheel is 50x60x20) size for 150$. Will insulate in "fireproof" plasterboard true all inside. Drill many small holes in front for flames/gases to escape. Should do the trick. (Only in front, true all the door, so nothing can catch on fire.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's the testing part that interests me. They should be transparent about what tests they ran so we know whether the test is valid and whether other wheels might be affected. All I've found so far is that in a battery pack overheated in their tests. I really want to know how they made it do that. I'm pretty sure they didn't just put a battery pack on a table and watch it until it eventually burst into flames. Or maybe they did, who knows.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Funky said:

Hey the wheel sits right next to my bed. When the burning starts, i at least will hear batteries pooping like popcorn. :D Or my feet will start roasting and i will smell bacon. :thumbup:

I hope you got that cement board at least somehow "fixed" to the box. The board otherwise could fly off, because of all the battery gases. (You know that firebomb effect..) Simply putting on won't do. Also i hope the box sits on some bricks or something.. Because the floor could also catch on fire, because of heat.

Next week or so, i will get 1.5mm thick wall metal closet 60Wx80Hx30D (Wheel is 50x60x20) size for 150$. Will insulate in "fireproof" plasterboard true all inside. Drill many small holes in front for flames/gases to escape. Should do the trick. (Only in front, true all the door, so nothing can catch on fire.)

Your fire alarm IS your 16s. Cut away the middle man, go right to the source. :thumbup: Hehe.

What's going to have to happen is that there must be confirmation that balancing has completed. A light that turns green or something. An independent circuit.

Without confirmation, it's only a matter of time.

Imagine a series of tiny LEDs on the battery packs. Like on power banks. You press a button and they light up red/green/whatever depending on the group voltages.

My KS16s is 6 years old and has been opened many times to change tires and replace cracked shells. It might be a good idea to retire it. I'm not impressed with the build quality; there's a number of exposed and misaligned wires, and 90 degree bends that the newer KS18XL just doesn't have.

I'm curious as to the build quality of the newer wheels.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

and 90 degree bends that the newer KS18XL just doesn't have.

Have you seen both wires that comes out of axle? Especially the fat 3 motor wires. It "hurts" me each time i need to bend it..

It comes out of axle and then does 90 degree angle. (The same as 16s.) :D