NYC Euc and car accident

mike_bike_kite

25 minutes ago, Funky said:

Okey. I'll will buy a gun and use it the same way. <3 Thanks.

I'm sure police and people wont mind me robing something at gun point or maybe something worse.

Your choice to use it in that manner. Just because you own one doesn’t make you a bad gun owner. That’s the point 

Best thing people can do is put themselves in others shoes. And then look at your self again. Change roles of what is happening.

Forget euc and be a regular person again.. You never had euc.

If you where a soccer mom. Or simple man who has only car.. You would not do anything extreme.

For free time: you would enjoy going fishing or hiking, maybe reading a book or playing a video game. 

Would you enjoy seeing these kind of euc ridders on roads? What would you think, if you saw someone riding like that? If you where Average Joe.

10 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Behaviour of rogue NYC riders bringing EUC's into disrepute is perhaps the opinion of quite a few members.

Perhaps refer to the thread titled:

Incredibly bad look for this community.

Again, the actions of others DON’T make  you the same as them. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

Your choice to use it in that manner. Just because you own one doesn’t make you a bad gun owner. That’s the point 

Yes you're right. That's the point. Many people own guns, but they obey law or get punished..

The society make things right/wrong..

For my actions they can send my to jail.. Because i used said gun in that manner. Is killing right or wrong? Ofc it's wrong.. But why is it wrong? Because of society standard, rules, law..

Every coin has 2 sides..

Edited by Funky

Correct.  The actions of others do not make you the same as them.

The responsible NY members of this forum should not be offended and think they are being slurred, when videos of rogue NY riders are posted.

The actions of others do not make them (responsible riders) the same as the rogue riders.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

The responsible NY members of this forum should not be offended and think they are being slurred, when videos of rogue NY riders are posted.

The actions of others do not make them (responsible riders) the same as the rogue riders.

Imo the posting of said nyc rider videos isn’t the issue. The issue is when people make comments such as “nyc riders are making us look bad”…. “Rider in video is riding like a typical Ny’er”…… “all reckless videos come from nyc” which drives a specific narrative. That’s when threads like this one do nothing to promote rider awareness/safety which I believe is the point your trying to make most of the time. 

Suggestion: if you or anyone else wants to highlight poor rider etiquette then it should be done in a constructive manner. 
- example A - doing a reaction video to said poor etiquette video where you break down what you believe the mistakes are in said video and how you would have reacted in said situation and showing another video where a better example is present. 

B- doing an analytical post referring to time stamps of alleged bad etiquette video where you present a different pov of how the rider should have approached said situation.

If rider safety and awareness is what people want to promote in these type of threads then do it constructively instead simply making a thread that does nothing but promote bashing or characterization of a group of riders. 

One thing that doesn’t get spoken about enough are the videos where people are doing the right thing. The negative videos get 30+ pages banter and attention. So what is the forum really promoting ?? Food for thought. 

Edited by Mayhem
  • Like 1

There would be plenty of NYC riders doing the right thing.

NY members on this thread, such as yourself, who have expressed dismay at being perceived as being the same as the rogue NYC riders........is evidence that they are responsible.

Perception.  Definition:

perception
/pəˈsɛpʃ(ə)n/
the way in which something is regarded, understood, or interpreted.

When the public see:
Rogue NYC EUC riders behaving badly, (endangering others, ignoring red lights, wrong side of road, etc...)

Some of the public will perceive that all EUC riders act like this.
                         Some of the public will perceive that some EUC riders act like this.

When NY forum members see:
Videos of NYC EUC riders behaving badly

Some of the NY members will be offended, and perceive that they are being slurred
                        Some of the NY members will not be offended, and not perceive that they are being slurred.

There are videos posted of dangerous situations.
Members have made constructive comments and advice of what to do.
eg: do not assume others will adhere to road rules,
      in a conflict with a car, the EUC rider will always be the bug and not the windscreen
      being dead right is meaningless, when you are dead.
etc.....

3 hours ago, Paul A said:

Then stop posting NY related reckless videos all the time? Give NYC a break? You just contribute to throw oil on the fire all the time by digging out old videos and reposting them at the first opportunity of bashing NY riders. For example the NYtarzan video you posted earlier was already in another thread where NY riders have already been plenty bashed already. You dig this and repost this again in another thread to renew the circle of bashing. In which way does this contribute in something positive? Are such practices normal and acceptable?

And what are you talking about with Rogue riders/ Rogue from what? Everybody is their own person. Did you buy them their EUC? or contribute in anything to them to allow yourself to call them Rogue? One thing i noticed is that the most aggressive posters always come from countries where PEV are banned. Couldn't you focus your harted on the local reasons why your country banned PEVS and give NY riders a break?  Maybe some local "reckless rogue riders " caused this?

https://www.mondaq.com/australia/crime/1134338/electric-scooter-laws-in-nsw#:~:text=Riding an electric scooter (e,retailers to sell e-scooters.

https://www.techadvisor.com/buying-advice/gadget/electric-scooter-law-uk-3668712/

My point is NY riders want to be able to come in this forum and enjoy as everyone else without having to be finger pointed at the first opportunity. Is it possible?

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 1

First video on the thread showed a rider passing alongside a vehicle that proceeded to turn into him. (New York)

Second video showed a rider on Sherman at the beeps all the way. (Dubai)

Third video showed a truck doing a U-turn in front of a rider. (California)

Fourth video showed a rider passing an SUV clearly signalling a turn. (California)

Fifth video is of a mountain bike crash where the rider became a paraplegic. (BC, Canada)

Sixth video is of how Dubai Police detect/fine dangerous car drivers. (United Arab Emirates)

Seventh video is of EB electric bike in UK.  (United Kingdom)

Eighth video is of rogue NYC EUC rider, winner of an illegal Alley Cat Race, riding illegally on a highway, provoking a fight with a car driver.  (New York City)

The videos are of many countries.

The videos are of various PEV's, bikes, cars, topics.

The common theme is of dangerous situations that could be avoided.

Discussions by members have been varied and cover many aspects.

Our community has suffered the terrible loss of Joel D'ort.
We do not wish this to ever happen again.

Rogue definition:

Cambridge Dictionary

rogue
adjective

behaving in ways that are not expected or not normal, often in a way that causes damage
  • Like 1

I can not speak from personal experience because I have not quite progressed enough to ride more than 10mph confidently but my son has told me about people borderline ignoring him while riding his unicycle. This one time he was riding home kind of late (4pm) and then a guy on some electric scooter started to cut him off and when he tried to get a head a car that was driving behind them pulled up into the spot he just was if he didn’t try to pull ahead. It was sheer luck that he didn’t go flying and crack some bones.

Edited by Goblyhoo
  • Like 2

Crowd behaviour can make us get carried away with the moment. We see this all the time in demonstrations, group rides, sporting events etc. Unfortunately when we see a group ride it makes this behaviour very visible and obvious. Thus upsetting us; we fear the impact will stop our ability to use EUC's on the open road or possibly anywhere.

When we feel threatened we attack what we see.  In this case the easy target is NY riders. 

Taking a step back we all realise that its not all NY riders. 

We also need to recognise that different countries (and even cities*) have different driving styles which might impact on our thoughts of acceptable behaviour.

In the UK we have very strong lane discipline in Australia not so much and other places virtually none.  

*Melbourne drivers are/were notorious for jumping red lights so much so you always waited a second after the green to go. (Others will need to correct me if this is no longer the case) and this was an unwritten rule that seemed to work. Approaching a red just changed 'she'll be right mate'.

Sydney drivers totally different.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Paul A said:

First video on the thread showed a rider passing alongside a vehicle that proceeded to turn into him. (New York)

Second video showed a rider on Sherman at the beeps all the way. (Dubai)

Third video showed a truck doing a U-turn in front of a rider. (California)

Fourth video showed a rider passing an SUV clearly signalling a turn. (California)

Fifth video is of a mountain bike crash where the rider became a paraplegic. (BC, Canada)

Sixth video is of how Dubai Police detect/fine dangerous car drivers. (United Arab Emirates)

Seventh video is of EB electric bike in UK.  (United Kingdom)

Eighth video is of rogue NYC EUC rider, winner of an illegal Alley Cat Race, riding illegally on a highway, provoking a fight with a car driver.  (New York City)

The videos are of many countries.

The videos are of various PEV's, bikes, cars, topics.

The common theme is of dangerous situations that could be avoided.

Discussions by members have been varied and cover many aspects.

Our community has suffered the terrible loss of Joel D'ort.
We do not wish this to ever happen again.

Rogue definition:

Cambridge Dictionary

rogue
adjective

behaving in ways that are not expected or not normal, often in a way that causes damage

Who is Joel D’ort?

19 hours ago, Ronin Ryder said:

Then stop posting NY related reckless videos all the time? Give NYC a break? You just contribute to throw oil on the fire all the time by digging out old videos and reposting them at the first opportunity of bashing NY riders. For example the NYtarzan video you posted earlier was already in another thread where NY riders have already been plenty bashed already. You dig this and repost this again in another thread to renew the circle of bashing. In which way does this contribute in something positive? Are such practices normal and acceptable?

Good point @Ronin Ryder, digging up old videos (months / years old) especially from a locked thread add nothing to the current topic at hand. It just continues the endless cycle of bashing and finger pointing. 
——————————————————-

So for those who “perceive” others as dangerous riders Do yourself a favor and STOP watching these types of videos then.

dislike/ unsub/ don’t recommend this channel / block

“you can’t control other peoples behavior, you can only control your reaction.”

plenty of options not to come across these videos. 

Edited by Mayhem

I also don't care where they are from.. I care more, that they simply are breaking law.

From my viewpoint they can live on moon, or be my neighbor. Human being = human being.

Let's be honest, anyone riding like that isn't cool. By law viewpoint..

I don't give shit if they go and break their necks.. They can do what they want. 

Endangering other people, being reckless on road, that's another topic.. :facepalm:

Get on a bicycle, skateboard, whateva and start doing same thing - you'll be smashed in no time.

Actually guys on motorcycles and bicycles get it all the time without making headlines. They just go in the "stupid" column. Nobody is planning on forbidding the bicycles, right?

Drivers make mistakes or fail to notice the others on the street often. Gotta be prepared.

Can someone of you, being long time motor vehicle driver, swear they never made a mistake or got distracted or made a wrong movement?

I had a case when starting from a traffic light, I was doing a left turn and, giving a signal, had to do almost immediately a right turn to enter in my office parking. A guy on a motorcycle overcame on the right side, in the curve, and almost got in the car. He was angry too...

One has to respect physics - mass and inertia.

Lack of judgement and self preservation is fatal, eventually.

Edited by Aztek

No helmet, no protective gear, no tether.

Carving a little may help to reduce likelihood of oscillating.

A viewer comment:
'exactly what happened to me. I was going 45kph. Wobbled off the back in full body armour. Still effed up my ribs for 6 weeks.'

EUC Electric Unicycle - oscillation accident - not the wheel's fault - Gotway Nikola 100v 1230

Jul 30, 2020

130 subscribers

EUC oscillation accident - not the wheel's fault - Nikola 100v 1230 - my bad stances, lack of concentration (I was paying attention to the drone), bad tire psi etc.
Also it was the ski season and I tend to change my stance technique.
The Nikola is a tank and there wasn't any inside damage.
Wheel is working perfectly and I had to change the right shell.
I wasn't using any protection gear and nothing happened to me.
I always use it, but that day I was just testing the drone... It's always like that!

• Sad 1

Wow that some impact on the wheel. The rider took a pretty big hit too, he done well not to break his coccyx there.

I note the rider admits he was paying attention to the drone. I really don't like any distractions when I'm riding which is why I don't like selfie sticks or fiddling with phones. So for footage I occasionally pull out my GoPro Session and just hold it. It's surprising how varied your footage can be when using something small and handheld rather than stuck on a visor or chest mount for the whole ride. I can just point it low down/high up/behind/front etc and just edit everything later. As for phones, my pebble controls my music and runs EUC World so my phone stays in my jacket and only comes out when stopped. I've seen more than a few crashes due to riders being on their phones and besides which it's not a good look for the public.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Wow that some impact on the wheel. The rider took a pretty big hit too, he done well not to break his coccyx there.

I note the rider admits he was paying attention to the drone. I really don't like any distractions when I'm riding which is why I don't like selfie sticks or fiddling with phones. So for footage I occasionally pull out my GoPro Session and just hold it. It's surprising how varied your footage can be when using something small and handheld rather than stuck on a visor or chest mount for the whole ride. I can just point it low down/high up/behind/front etc and just edit everything later. As for phones, my pebble controls my music and runs EUC World so my phone stays in my jacket and only comes out when stopped. I've seen more than a few crashes due to riders being on their phones and besides which it's not a good look for the public.

Dat light pole doh.. Nuke incoming, DING. It looks like his feet slipped, when wobble started.

Same, i normally stop or come to crawl speeds, when i take my phone in hand.

23 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Should not be using a phone when on or near a road.

Might seem like a minor distraction, but the inattention can be fatal.

Did not mention any road my self.. As i don't ride with cars. Only walk paths.

+Every city differs. My city has very little people.. So i mostly can ride how i want. Same time slowing down at house corners, at people.

And if you leave city center.. You see maybe 1-2 people each 5 mins. xD

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Should not be using a phone when on or near a road.

Might seem like a minor distraction, but the inattention can be fatal.

Thats bloody brutal that is.

Even so, as hard a watch as it is, I can't help feel that this should be shown in secondary schools...

• Like 1