KS S20 126V Requirement Debate?

Jason McNeil

some seem to lack understanding that the voltage is not really important as it is for the amps/current... 126V and 1A is not the same as 126V and 60A, it relates the same for a battery at it's minimum. The battery capacity has not increased for this wheel, the chemistry and the battery chosen has no advantage to harness the 126V system. if you had a Lithium iron phosphate battery, it would make sense because it would add more current and voltage per cell than Lithium Ion batteries but this is not the case. I hope maybe this makes sense to you.

Edited by nowjoel

2 hours ago, nowjoel said:

126V and 1A is not the same as 126V and 60A, it relates the same for a battery at it's minimum

you lost me here... I get the first part but not the second.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

On 10/14/2021 at 10:24 PM, mike_bike_kite said:

Perhaps you have a different definition of "reliably"? I mean things like the wheel doesn't have to be put outside to charge or left inside if it's raining etc. 

This is what I found strange on the OP message. 
gw moved from 67 to 100 , no one complained, and still it was the same as ever, catching fires. no tiltback, no respect for safety whatsoever. 

The way I see it 126 is a long overdue farewell to GW and the amazing level of R&D they exhibit, like making air intake holes bigger on the commander. 

Edited by enaon

36 minutes ago, Seba said:

this is why in higher voltage systems IGBT transistors are used instead of MOSFETs.

Ah. IGBTs... flashback to a former life. Nice thing about an IGBT is that you can control the turning off and basically slam it shut—and shutting it off quicker decreases power loss in the transistor.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, enaon said:

gw moved from 67 to 100 , no one complained, and still it was the same as ever, catching fires. no tiltback, no respect for safety whatsoever. 

GW moved from 67 to 84 and then to 100v. At the time GW was pushing the performance envelope and the extra volts gave you more performance, if you wanted to travel at a real 30+mph then 100v was the only way to get there. I think it's impossible to provide tilt back at the real top speed of an EUC as you need more power to give that tilt back - that means you either accept a slower artificial top speed (like KS and IM) or you just turn off the tilt back (they do have tilt back up to about 30mph) and see how brave you're feeling. Weirdly, I got my Nik+ because of it's safety - I'm a fairly big guy and I wanted a wheel I could do 30mph on safely, the KS16X was known for cutting out when the battery was depleted and riders tried going close to it's advertised top speed while the Nik+ would be fairly safe.

GW do some things great but the few battery fires that have occurred are unforgivable. The original MSX was almost game changing with high top speed and a great range, the mten3 is a fun EUC that can be easily carried and even my Nik+ was pretty unique at the time in that it was manoeuvrable, fast and had great range. They really do need to correct the battery issue and it would be really helpful if they could introduce a "black box" functionality so we could see why a wheel cut out, how many times it's been crashed and what sort of impacts it's had, has the battery been balanced etc etc. I'm not sure how you could preserve the info after a fire but maybe most of the info could be updated to a phone periodically.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mike_bike_kite said:

if you wanted to travel at a real 30+mph then 100v

Not true, the s18 is a true 31mph, 84 volts, 3 parallels only. And tiltback.

I know this will not sound very nice, but I really find the talk about worrying for KS amusing, when it comes from people that are using/retailing gotways. 

I agree with the rest of your comment, gotway delivers more power for heavy riders, so one could argue it is safer. But they do it the ugly way, no safety, no precautions, backyard level at the best. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, enaon said:

Not true, the s18 is a true 31mph, 84 volts, 3 parallels only. And tiltback.

I know this will not sound very nice, but I really find the talk about worrying for KS amusing, when it comes from people that are using/retailing gotways. 

I agree with the rest of your comment, gotway delivers more power for heavy riders, so one could argue it is safer. But they do it the ugly way, no safety, no precautions, backyard level at the best. 

I don't think the S18 was available when the Nikola+ came out. I'm also about 210lbs (96kg) in my underwear and I suspect I'd have to be insane to travel at 31mph on an S18. I actually really like KS wheels, if the 18XL was cheaper in the UK then I'd of probably got one of those. If EUCs are ever made legal here then I might well go for an S20. Gotway has most (perhaps all?) of the safety features of KS (tilt back and warnings on current, low battery, temperature etc). The only difference is that you can turn these warnings off if you want to. I have most of my alarms left on as I mostly just cruise between 20 and 25mph.

Edited by mike_bike_kite

2 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I don't think the S18 was available when the Nikola+ came out. I'm also about 210lbs (96kg) in my underwear and I suspect I'd have to be insane to travel at 31mph on an S18. I actually really like KS wheels, if the 18XL was cheaper in the UK then I'd of probably got one of those. If EUCs are ever made legal here then I might well go for an S20. Gotway has most (perhaps all?) of the safety features of KS (tilt back and warnings on current, low battery, temperature etc). The only difference is that you can turn these warnings off if you want to. I have most of my alarms left on as I mostly just cruise between 20 and 25mph.

I mentioned the s18 as it is actually the only ks that does true 50 cruising, the 18xl is doing 42km/h gps speed when reporting 50.  

but not all is about speed. A user shorted the charging port of the s18, nothing happened, the wheel could work with the port shorted, and after releasing the short the charging circuit was working fine. that is not the case on a mistake or a power supply fail on gotways. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Seba said:

And this is why in higher voltage systems IGBT transistors are used instead of MOSFETs.

Thanks @Seba for the very interesting information about MOSFETs!

Are you suggesting that Kingsong may be better off using IGBT for the 126V controller?

Your post lead me to brief research about MOSFET vs IGBT. It looks like IGBT is better for low frequency (<20KHz) switching, whereas MOSFET is better for high frequency (200KHz) switching. Will IGBT switch frequency be enough for the rapid switching required to keep the wheel balanced?

https://www.watelectronics.com/difference-between-insulated-gate-bipolar-transistor-igbt-and-mosfet/

1. IGBT is preferred for low frequency (Less than 20 KHz), high voltage (more than 1000V), small or narrow load or line variations; low duty cycle, high operating temperature; and, more than 5kw output power rating applications; whereas MOSFET is preferred for wide load or line variations, low voltage (Less than 250V), large duty cycles and high frequency (more than 200KHz) applications.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seba said:

Another possible problem is that voltages up to 120V DC are generally considered as safe voltages (EN 61140 etc.). 126V DC falls out of this category, which may cause several compliance and legal issues to US and EU distributors. For now this market segment is mostly unregulated, but it's a matter of time that EUCs as a products will get regulated (in terms of product safety).

It is already regulated in the EU. Maximum voltage is 100 VDC. So far regulation is enforced weakly.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Will IGBT switch frequency be enough for the rapid switching required to keep the wheel balanced?

To address only that specific question: yes, absolutely enough. A d=19" wheel going v=100kmh makes about 10 full rotations per second (f=v/πd). That is 10Hz in terms of frequency. Thus, 20KHz (= 20 000Hz) should be more than enough to smoothly drive the wheel and balance it without jerking. In other words, the reaction time of, say, a 10KHz rated device is 0.0001 seconds which is extremely quick -- you would never notice this kind of delay (for some comparison -- in professional gaming, 0.010 second is considered fantastic ping and that is 100 times slower than IGBT reaction time)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seba said:

Fortunately for now it's still only a new standard, not regulation.

EU standards are a way to show compliance with applicable directives, and so part of the regulation. EN 17128 is not a harmonized standard. It just doesn't cover all requirements of directives. Not following a standard is much longer way for the manufacturer's to show compliance. It rarely happens.

3 hours ago, yoos said:

To address only that specific question: yes, absolutely enough. A d=19" wheel going v=100kmh makes about 10 full rotations per second (f=v/πd). That is 10Hz in terms of frequency. Thus, 20KHz (= 20 000Hz) should be more than enough to smoothly drive the wheel and balance it without jerking. In other words, the reaction time of, say, a 10KHz rated device is 0.0001 seconds which is extremely quick -- you would never notice this kind of delay (for some comparison -- in professional gaming, 0.010 second is considered fantastic ping and that is 100 times slower than IGBT reaction time)

You are missing how many coils and magnet regions there are per rotation.  I am sure this varies per the wheel model.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, duanew said:

You are missing how many coils and magnet regions there are per rotation.  I am sure this varies per the wheel model.

Indeed, I omitted that for simplicity and perhaps I shouldn't have. Anyway, ~50 positions as estimated by @Chriull still keeps the required frequency low enough.

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

...maybe at some high speed pothole encounter higher control loop frequencies could make (seldomly) some difference?

I don't think so: the wheel is not powerful enough to rebalance quickly enough to make advantage of an even higher frequency. Suppose you hit a bump which tilts your wheel almost instantly. Even if the controller reacts instantly to this tilt and applies the max torque to balance the wheel, it will take considerable time (compared to 1/f which would be 0.1ms or less) for this torque to get the body and pedals back to level.

I don't know the intricacies of modern algorithms but I suspect they filter out small fluctuations and also have some dampening and retardation built in. This should conserve energy, reduce stress on the system, make for a smoother ride and, perhaps most importantly, it should protect from self-induced oscillations (I have seen some videos of older wheels going into a wild rodeo mode, violently oscillating back and forth at >1Hz or more). Roughly speaking, such dangerous behavior is more likely if the algorithm tries to balance as quickly as possible and energy gets pumped into rodeo behavior.

6 hours ago, yoos said:

(I have seen some videos of older wheels going into a wild rodeo mode, violently oscillating back and forth at >1Hz or more).

Oh yes, the wonderful MSX rider from a few years ago! It was a bug in a new firmware (maybe on the first 100V MSX?), on a non user upgradable wheel… :facepalm: It was quite a setback I’m sure. Some people debated what the actual reason could’ve been, but I don’t know if they came to a solid conclusion.

6 hours ago, yoos said:

the wheel is not powerful enough to rebalance quickly enough to make advantage of an even higher frequency.

I have to dig up the MSX “Crash test” videos that GW themselves published.

They let the wheel slam onto a curb without a rider. The wheel launched directly upwards to about 1.5m high, staying PERFECTLY straight and balanced the whole time it was in the air. It left me hugely impressed of the tech we ride on. 

It is some time back. But if I recall right one way to remove the electricity static noise or wine was to increase the frequency use in the motor (or how you would explain it).

As I recall it moved from 10k to 12 or 14K on the KS18L. It had the benefit to remove the motor noise and some of the vibrations when trolleying the wheel. But you can feel it still if you are close to standstill and just push the wheel so slightly until it is on edge to move. 

Now the S20 might look good on paper in many ways, but...

I am not sure 126V is problem free. That mixed with its top speed and its weight, it do hold some risk in the event of a crash, that being a hardware fault or rider error or surrounding traffic to blame. Such a wheel doing a cutout ballet down the road pose a risk. 

That is why I don't really see the need to push this far for an EUC.I know others disagree. But if you think a crash on a can at 70kmh, that can be fatal. And here you have ,any safety system often, on an EUC not so much.

A suprise crash at 70kmh...not a risk I would take. It might be a great wheel, the S20, but I am reserved or sceptical at least for now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mrelwood said:

They let the wheel slam onto a curb without a rider. The wheel launched directly upwards to about 1.5m high, staying PERFECTLY straight and balanced the whole time it was in the air.

It takes much less energy to balance the wheel without a rider (the shell+batteries weighs 10-20kg and is close to the wheel vs 100kg with rider with a center of mass roughly 1m away from the axle, since you care not only about mass but also about leverage). If you slam onto a curb with rider the wheel will not stay balanced (assuming there are power pads to firmly connect the rider to the wheel). Here's a video where Ian manages to tilt the MSX (or whatever wheel is in the video) while trying to get over a log. So while wheels are very powerful they can still be overpowered -- tilted with such force that they do not manage to regain balance, or they do get back to level, but it takes time (e.g. half a second). Anyway, I think that improving the feedback loop frequency is not on the list of urgent improvements for EUCs. Proper BMS, Reliability, QC seem much more important (and also straight-forward to implement!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Unventor said:

As I recall it moved from 10k to 12 or 14K

While modern wheels seem rather silent (fans notwithstanding) to humans, 10-20KHz is still in the middle of a dogs hearing range. I wish EV manufacturers would at some point make an effort to reduce noise well into 100KHz so that animals would be less disturbed, if only to help prevent dog attacks. 

Edited by yoos
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, yoos said:

It takes much less energy to balance the wheel without a rider

Of course. My point was mainly about the feedback loop frequency you mentioned. Since for it to be able to compensate the tire hitting the curb, and tire flex and rebound while the wheel is launched upwards, the frequency is already definitely enough for riding in any situation.

Ian manages to tilt the MSX

Me too, it was a common occurrence for me to overpower the 84V MSX at near zero speed while doing really gnarly off-roading.

Anyway, I think that improving the feedback loop frequency is not on the list of urgent improvements for EUCs. Proper BMS, Reliability, QC seem much more important (and also straight-forward to implement!)

I agree fullheartedly!

• Like 2