What speed are you satisfied with?

EUCandME

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

Just a reflection on this. 

Be ing able to go 60kmh will not solve this. Think this way I view this as fooling yourself. 

Most car drivers dislike being behind a truck or lorry. So despite the truck is going as fast as speed limit in on that road most car drivers will push pass and find a option to do this. 

I will argue that car drivers do the same with mopeds and due to this will do this too if you ride an EUC. 

It is about taking your place in traffic so car drivers takes less chances putting you at higher risk while they do this.

Chance or risk taking happens all the time. So that is why I don't ride in car lanes especially heavy traffic once.

If you for whatever reason have a crash most car drivers do not keep the safe distance to react. The higher speed and dense traffic the less chance you have escape harm and the risk of causing mayhem with rogue tumbling wheel that is out of control. The chain reaction alone of this can be very severe. 

The reason this is different in the need to self balancing Vs a bike/moped/MC/car that doesn't have the same need to balance. People that doesn't ride doesn't understand this. And even EUC riders tend to forget.

I must agree with this. For my use case I try to avoid roads at all cost so at least for me the keeping up with traffic aspect is unnecessary. Whilst I do want a wheel that can perform when needed I want a wheel that can cruise comfortably over all terrain. I guess the better way to describe my use case is I am an EUC tourist. I like to explore areas with my EUC not really race.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mrelwood said:

@EUCandME, I’m not sure if you’re  asking the correct question to help your decision making. You’re the only one who’s going to be riding with (or paying for…) your new wheel, so the riding speeds of others shouldn’t matter very much.

We have all gone through similar repeated steps of being sure that we’ll never exceed XX mph. But luckily for most of us it doesn’t go on forever. For some it stops at 15 mph, for others even 50 mph may not be enough. For me it stopped at 30 mph.

I’d concentrate much more on the following: How long have you been riding? How long did it take for you to crave faster speeds? What is a practical speed in the places you ride? How much gear do you want to put on before a ride? Have you had any adrenaline or speed heavy hobbies?

I’m pretty sure you are over thinking it. Unless the viewer has specifically been looking at various EUC models, they usually can’t even tell a V11 from a (black) Mten afterwards. If a non-rider tells me they saw an EUC and I ask what kind/size/shape/color, they never have the slightest clue. They do however register the rider’s speed, image and attitude.

There’s no point in getting a Sherman if one’s comfortable max speed is 15 mph. Besides, the wheel’s top speed doesn’t tell much about the power headroom at any speed. 

This is a great point. You can always get to where you’re going 5 mph slower than you’d like, but if the battery is 5 Wh too small, you’ll have to walk.

I have been riding for just over a month and already I have outgrown my s2. I learnt how to ride pretty quick it took me about 3 days to go on short trips. And I agree completely with battery. That has been one of my biggest limitations with my s2 (apart from speed). I like to explore areas and go up country tracks just zoning out and enjoying my surroundings. Nothing kills that mood more than the constant beeping of the s2 gradually reducing power output. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lex Smith said:

I've had a couple of coppers give me quizzical looks when I'm riding on the road - trick is to keep moving and don't give them a chance to ask questions :-)

Ahaha true. One copper that wanted to speak to me blue lighted. He did it to get my attention and turned out to be curious. A change of underwear was definitely needed!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, EUCandME said:

Thanks for your comment! It’s interesting that you prefer lower speeds. Is it more fun because of stability or because you can enjoy your surroundings more? 

At speeds below 15mph I wonder whether I should really be on my bicycle. At speeds around 25mph I feel I'm totally in control and it feels like I'm on a magic carpet ride - in other words it's fun. At 30+mph speeds it just feels like I'm going to have an accident and that perhaps I should of taken the motorbike. Perhaps it's an age thing, but I don't have much to prove by risking life and limb on a unicycle.

It's also a totally different situation over here in the UK compared to America. Every time we pass a police car we're running the risk of having our wheels taken off us plus a fine plus getting halfway towards a driving ban. If I get stopped once then those points on my driving license will mean the insurance cost on all my vehicles will at least double. If I get done twice then I can't ride my motorbikes or drive a car for 3 years. We're illegal because we don't have insurance but insurance isn't available to us because we're seen as illegal - Catch 22. It's a stupid situation over here and I'll admit I have very low opinion of the police, the law and the courts because of all this but nevertheless that's the way it is. Having an EUC that looks like a one wheeled motorbike just makes it more likely for you to be stopped and also less likely to be allowed into coffee shops etc when I go through the door.

The V10F is a fairly innocuous looking machine but it will go a lot further than your current ride, it will be more comfortable and it will be able to go faster but without killing you.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

At speeds below 15mph I wonder whether I should really be on my bicycle. At speeds around 25mph I feel I'm totally in control and it feels like I'm on a magic carpet ride - in other words it's fun. At 30+mph speeds it just feels like I'm going to have an accident and that perhaps I should of taken the motorbike. Perhaps it's an age thing, but I don't have much to prove by risking life and limb on a unicycle.

It's also a totally different situation over here in the UK compared to America. Every time we pass a police car we're running the risk of having our wheels taken off us plus a fine plus getting halfway towards a driving ban. If I get stopped once then those points on my driving license will mean the insurance cost on all my vehicles will at least double. If I get done twice then I can't ride my motorbikes or drive a car for 3 years. We're illegal because we don't have insurance but insurance isn't available to us because we're seen as illegal - Catch 22. It's a stupid situation over here and I'll admit I have very low opinion of the police, the law and the courts because of all this but nevertheless that's the way it is. Having an EUC that looks like a one wheeled motorbike just makes it more likely for you to be stopped and also less likely to be allowed into coffee shops etc when I go through the door.

The V10F is a fairly innocuous looking machine but it will go a lot further than your current ride, it will be more comfortable and it will be able to go faster but without killing you.

Wow that was exactly what I was looking for! I am also from the UK and have the same view of the police as yourself. This is one of the reasons I stay clear of roads in my EUC. I travel on bike paths between parks but mostly rural farmer tracks. Regarding the speed feeling like a magic carpet is exactly where I want to be at. I’m addicted to that feeling. I don’t want to go supersonic I just want to feel like I’m making progress. 

The Patrolmen's Benevolent Association of the City of New York, a large NYPD union, gives out cards to officers to distribute to friends and family, giving them preferential treatment for minor offenses. The cards are commonly referred to as "get out of jail free" cards.

The cards are designed to be presented in a low-stakes police encounter, like a traffic stop, as a laminated wink-and-nudge between officers that says, “Hey, would you mind going a little easy on this one?” When a cop is handed a PBA card, they can call the number on it to verify the relationship between the cardholder and the issuer, then decide whether it means they should give the cardholder a break.

For the UK:

Metropolitan Police Benevolent Fund

Registered Charity Number: 1125409

London

The Metropolitan Police Benevolent Fund (the Fund) provides assistance to serving, and former Metropolitan Police Officers and their dependants in need. The Fund receives contributions from serving Metropolitan Police officers for distribution.

To assist those who find themselves in financial difficulties arising from a variety of reasons e.g. long period of sickness or convalescence following an injury on duty.

Provides financial assistance to deserving cases of widows’, widowers’, orphans, and partners of former officers....

The Charity’s income is frequently enhanced by donations and bequests from organisations, companies and members of the public as a sign of appreciation for assistance given by Metropolitan Police Service officers, and are very welcome.

A blue and white checkered ribbon might be received as appreciation of the support.

This ribbon is sometimes attached to the aerial of a car to display the public support of the police.

Social connections/networks/relationships.

13 hours ago, mrelwood said:

There’s no point in getting a Sherman if one’s comfortable max speed is 15 mph.

I take your point but theres also no point in quoting extremes. The OP clearly wants more than 15mph and he clearly can't afford a Sherman so it's a bit of a pointless quote.

13 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Besides, the wheel’s top speed doesn’t tell much about the power headroom at any speed. 

It tells an awful lot IMO. Almost without exception, faster wheels will have more headroom at X speed than slower wheels at the same speed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mike_bike_kite said:

This is a fair point. I am similar. When I first started riding my daughter and I used to take the wheels whilst my son and wife took their bicycles (they have no interest in wheels). Now, I can't stand doing 10mph or so on a wheel, I would rather use my bike for family stuff now. I will often take my MTB ebike out for a leisurely 10~15mph ride and have a great time doing so, not worrying about police and being able to tackle terrain that would be impossible on my wheel. I also don't need to worry about arsey pedestrians (the ones who give you bad looks even though you are being polite and courteous).

25~30mph is also now my personal cruising speed for the wheel. Occasionally I will crank it up a bit if I am on a section of road between two trails but thats only to get the bit of road out of the way as soon as possible and avoid any build-up of cars behind me.

40mph on a wheel feels a lot different to 30mph (to me anyway) and requires a completely different mindset. Out goes the sight-seeing and general 'zen', and in comes watching the surface like a hawk, massively bent knees to take the shocks and a general underlying fear of how nasty it will end if the slightest thing happens. As you say, there really does come a point where I would rather take a moped, motorbike or car because risk levels above 40mph on an EUC become exponential IMO. Other opinions may vary of course, especially for those who predominantly ride on billiard-table asphalt.

So for me, hitting a max of say 35mph occasionally on an 'average' ride, the Sherman gives me all the reassurance I need. For someone else at say 25mph, a Nikola for example would be good, or any MSX. The S18 wouldn't fill me with confidence, nor a 16X if I'm honest as I prefer more than a 5mph buffer (which will reduce as the battery depletes too...) but if the OP is light and isn't about to play around torqueing the wheel at 25mph then the S18/16X could be an option. I still fear they may be outside his price range though, which is why I suggest going back to the venerable 84v MSX.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Unventor said:

Just a reflection on this. 

Be ing able to go 60kmh will not solve this. Think this way I view this as fooling yourself. 

Most car drivers dislike being behind a truck or lorry. So despite the truck is going as fast as speed limit in on that road most car drivers will push pass and find a option to do this. 

I will argue that car drivers do the same with mopeds and due to this will do this too if you ride an EUC. 

It is about taking your place in traffic so car drivers takes less chances putting you at higher risk while they do this.

Chance or risk taking happens all the time. So that is why I don't ride in car lanes especially heavy traffic once.

If you for whatever reason have a crash most car drivers do not keep the safe distance to react. The higher speed and dense traffic the less chance you have escape harm and the risk of causing mayhem with rogue tumbling wheel that is out of control. The chain reaction alone of this can be very severe. 

The reason this is different in the need to self balancing Vs a bike/moped/MC/car that doesn't have the same need to balance. People that doesn't ride doesn't understand this. And even EUC riders tend to forget.

This is a very interesting point and makes total sense. Having been out on the open roads at busier times I find I don't really enjoy it. Maybe that is also due to the S18 characteristics. Does a heavier more capable wheel instil more confidence?  I haven't ridden any bigger wheels but from vlogs and peoples comments it seems that the type of wheel will also have a big impact on what feels safer on the roads and at what speeds.  I much prefer paths ,trails , off/on road at 10-20mph at 5-6am in the morning when its super quiet.  Much more relaxing. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I take your point but theres also no point in quoting extremes.

The extremes were to prove a point. You can insert other speeds and wheel models of you wish. For example, no point getting a Nik+ if one wants a light wheel that can go 25 mph.

56 minutes ago, Planemo said:

It tells an awful lot IMO. Almost without exception, faster wheels will have more headroom at X speed than slower wheels at the same speed.

Incorrect.

Example #1: MSX 84V (max speed ~70km/h?) vs Inmotion V11 (inflated max speed 50/55 km/h). The power reserves are very close, but favoring the V11.

Example #2: KS 16X (50km/h), Z10 (45km/h). Z10 has much more headroom at 40-45 km/h.

Example #3: Tesla v1 (~50km/h) vs KS 18XL v1 (50km/h). Seems strongly that the 18XL is a clear winner here.

And so on.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I still fear they may be outside his price range though, which is why I suggest going back to the venerable 84v MSX.

I think I could agree with that, especially if they could get hold of one for a decent price. If the OP is mainly interested in riding off-road then the 84v MSX is a good choice. That big wheel copes with ruts etc better than the V10F and the larger battery will mean a much further range. The only slight negatives are that the case is a little fragile (you can get bumpers for it), the trolley can be a pain (it takes practise) and the pedals are quite angled but I guess that's good if you're riding off road. I'd still go with the V10F just because I prefer a more relaxed ride and it has a tougher case but the 84v MSX will go further and is more capable in the rough stuff.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Maybe that is also due to the S18 characteristics. Does a heavier more capable wheel instil more confidence? 

It probably depends on the rider’s weight, but for my ~230lbs the S18 indeed feels struggling at faster acceleration at any speed. I don’t feel comfortable going past 20mph on that wheel, whereas I have had no problem trusting the MSX 84V or the V11 at 30+ mph.

Regarding the speeds where I find the EUC preferable, for me the range is 1-35mph. I find cruising at 10-15 mph with a friend on a bicycle to be quite nice.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

For example, no point getting a Nik+ if one wants a light wheel that can go 25 mph.

I didn't suggest a Nik+. I suggested a Nikola, 84v if needed, which at 25mph would be 'safe', and prob a lot cheaper than a 16X/S18.

23 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Example #1: MSX 84V (max speed ~70km/h?) vs Inmotion V11 (inflated max speed 50/55 km/h). The power reserves are very close, but favoring the V11.

Example #2: KS 16X (50km/h), Z10 (45km/h). Z10 has much more headroom at 40-45 km/h.

Example #3: Tesla v1 (~50km/h) vs KS 18XL v1 (50km/h). Seems strongly that the 18XL is a clear winner here.

1. I would not agree that an MSX 84v at 30mph has less headroom than a V11 at 30mph but we'll agree to disagree on that one. Not sure where you got 70kmh from either.

2. I was going to say (which is why I said 'almost without exception') that the Z10 is the only wheel I would trust running the beeps continuously due to the unusually high headroom on that particular wheel Vs the unusually low headroom on the 16X, especially after the FW update the 16X had.

3. Comparing a Tesla V1 with 850Wh to an 18XL with 1600Wh is stretching the goalposts a bit, given that such an increase in Wh will nearly always equate to a headroom benefit but I see where you're going with the example.

@EUCandME

I think you can see by now advise you get here depends on the eye of the beholder or rider.

I understand from your posts that you are on a budget. And right now there are 3 brands to pick from in general in the market. Since you are in the UK I suggest you get a wheel from a local reseller. It make service and warranty so much easier. 

Some time back it was the V10F that was a huge seller from Speedyfeet. It isn't the biggest battery by far. But at the price with local warranty it will be a reliable ride. And it is too heavy to bring up stairs, train or subway. And it is pretty durable in the current design. If you go up on price range the V11 gives you new options for rides. A simpler construction is the KS18L or XL. However I do think it is a better package with the XL over the L version. I wouldn't go to the KS16X though. Unless you can get a really sweet deal on latest build. And latest build is the only version I would consider to avoid problems. 

You might notice I don't talk about GW and their linked brands. I am not a fan of their design philosophy. And weather resistant are in general absence in GW, at least compared to latest models I mentioned above. 

Going above 50kmh is risk in my opinion. As a fairly new rider I can only hope you avoid some of my accidents. You can find them described here on the forum. You can see also that the wheels I talk about are wheels I have or previously owned. 

I know the feeling of what to choose. Whatever you decide to go by I wish you happy exploring. And remember next wheel isn't likely to be the last. So it is also part of the decision what you might keep if you can afford you dream wheel some day. 

I keep my V10f as a light weight option with enough battery to do everyday rides in more or less any weather.  But I prefer to ride the V11 by far. But it isn't a light wheel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

It probably depends on the rider’s weight, but for my ~230lbs the S18 indeed feels struggling at faster acceleration at any speed. I don’t feel comfortable going past 20mph on that wheel, whereas I have had no problem trusting the MSX 84V or the V11 at 30+ mph.

Regarding the speeds where I find the EUC preferable, for me the range is 1-35mph. I find cruising at 10-15 mph with a friend on a bicycle to be quite nice.

I weigh 200 pounds if that helps! i also like cruising at 15mph on my S2 except it doesnt last long with battery etc. Im hoping the v10F would give me some overhead. Allthough maybe 25mph wont be enough in a few months time who knows! 

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

@EUCandME

I think you can see by now advise you get here depends on the eye of the beholder or rider.

I understand from your posts that you are on a budget. And right now there are 3 brands to pick from in general in the market. Since you are in the UK I suggest you get a wheel from a local reseller. It make service and warranty so much easier. 

Some time back it was the V10F that was a huge seller from Speedyfeet. It isn't the biggest battery by far. But at the price with local warranty it will be a reliable ride. And it is too heavy to bring up stairs, train or subway. And it is pretty durable in the current design. If you go up on price range the V11 gives you new options for rides. A simpler construction is the KS18L or XL. However I do think it is a better package with the XL over the L version. I wouldn't go to the KS16X though. Unless you can get a really sweet deal on latest build. And latest build is the only version I would consider to avoid problems. 

You might notice I don't talk about GW and their linked brands. I am not a fan of their design philosophy. And weather resistant are in general absence in GW, at least compared to latest models I mentioned above. 

Going above 50kmh is risk in my opinion. As a fairly new rider I can only hope you avoid some of my accidents. You can find them described here on the forum. You can see also that the wheels I talk about are wheels I have or previously owned. 

I know the feeling of what to choose. Whatever you decide to go by I wish you happy exploring. And remember next wheel isn't likely to be the last. So it is also part of the decision what you might keep if you can afford you dream wheel some day. 

I keep my V10f as a light weight option with enough battery to do everyday rides in more or less any weather.  But I prefer to ride the V11 by far. But it isn't a light wheel.

Thank you for your comment! I am honestly thinking v10F is my way to go especially with availability etc. You are right it will not be my last. I think the v10F will compliment my S2 as the S2 would be my subway/bus wheel where my V10F would be my long range commuter. As a new member to the EUC community i have noticed a fine balance between price, experience and specs. They are all swirling together to make it quite hard to pick an EUC. I think after all your comments i have decided to go for the V10F as most of you have all agreed it is a solid build quality. Whilst it may not be the fastest it seems to server my purpose of an  EUC tourist and be reliable along the way. Sadly my dream EUC is indeed the v11 however i know that will either kill me with my current experience or get to much attention and im not sure which is worse ahah. I kind of like the incognito/discrete look the v10F still has. Thanks!  

Edited by EUCandME
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

I didn't suggest a Nik+.

I wasn’t talking about your wheel suggestions. I was talking about why the top speed is not a good measure for safety headroom.

1. I would not agree that an MSX 84v at 30mph has less headroom than a V11 at 30mph but we'll agree to disagree on that one. Not sure where you got 70kmh from either.

Based on my experience on the MSX (14000km) and the V11 (6000km), the MSX is easier to overlean/underlean. IIRC the free air speed of the MSX is 78km/h. Since it doesn’t have a top speed limit, there is no precise top speed. But some people consider 90% of the free air speed as the maximum. Call it a 60km/h wheel if you want, my point still stands.

What accounts for the max speed in your headroom calculations is one of the main issues in relying on it as a proof of headroom.

unusually high headroom on that particular wheel Vs the unusually low headroom on the 16X

Exactly. Most wheels don’t have a “usual” amount of headroom at max speed, which is another reason why speed isn’t a good measure for headroom.

3. Comparing a Tesla V1 with 850Wh to an 18XL with 1600Wh is stretching the goalposts a bit

You only mentioned using max speed as the only measure for headroom. That’s where I strictly kept the goalposts in my examples.

But since the point has been made and taken, I don’t think taking this discussion further helps the OP much.

51 minutes ago, EUCandME said:

I am honestly thinking v10F is my way to go

Even if you would reach the top speed on it after a few months, it definitely doesn’t suddenly make the wheel useless. 40km/h is already a max speed that many experienced riders are happy with. Even if you would visit 45km/h every now and then, the V10F is still one of the most comfortable non-suspension wheels, and has a great balance of weight, range and max speed.

And what is maybe the most important aspect, you seem to like the idea of owning it. That’s what helps you the most in being happy with your purchase decision.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I wasn’t talking about your wheel suggestions. I was talking about why the top speed is not a good measure for safety headroom.

Your suggestion that someone who only needs 25mph and a light wheel should not buy a Nik is nothing to do with why 'top speed is not a good measure for safety headroom'.

But some people consider 90% of the free air speed as the maximum.

Way too high. If an 84v MSX free spins at 78kmh (48.5mph), 90% of that makes 70kmh (43.6mph). Good luck getting an 84v MSX to that.

You only mentioned using max speed as the only measure for headroom.

I didn't say it's the only measure. I said it's a good indication (or words to that effect).

As you say, I don't think taking this further helps the OP, we'll leave it here :cheers:

• Like 1

Speed is really based on the situation, as has come up many times here. A lot depends on where you ride most. 

For me, if I'm just out to have fun I find myself staying at a speed where the wind noise is not too loud, around 23 to 28 mph. Of I need to get somewhere then I'll ride faster.

I have the most fun when there is something happening other than riding straight. There is a row of small trees in parallel (8 of them) at a park by my house. My dad and race each down the rows and back. It's a very tight left right left right then a u turn and more left right back to the start. I don't think we excerpt 7 to 8 mph but is so much fun!

• Like 3

35 mph seems to be the sweet spot for me. 30 is about the max that I ever go but it is nice to know that there is still a little more headroom for safety purposes. When I first started riding I never thought I’d want to go over 20 but, like others have said, that thought will go away rather quickly once you become comfortable with your wheel. 

• Like 1