INMOTION V12

Mike Roe

First, apologies for raining on everyone's parade.
It's no doubt great to have a functioning test which allows to remove clearly defective wheels from the pool.

However

And that's a big caveat.

2 out of 15 cutouts reported (compiled) so far left the wheel unharmed, with MOSFETs intact.
It means that: if the MOSFETs die like they do in the spin/yank/reverse test, a cutout happens - no doubt
But it also means that cut-out can happen due to one or several separate root causes.

No test covers that yet, and this/these separate problem(s) has/have not been acknowledged or addressed  by Inmotion yet.

My guess here:

• yes a V12 that passes a perfectly executed stress test has significantly lower risk of cutting out due to the blown MOSFET root cause on the short run
  • one or several issues, which lead to 13% of these cutouts still remain

Do you think this sounds correct?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, supercurio said:

First, apologies for raining on everyone's parade.
It's no doubt great to have a functioning test which allows to remove clearly defective wheels from the pool.

However

And that's a big caveat.

2 out of 15 cutouts reported (compiled) so far left the wheel unharmed, with MOSFETs intact.
It means that: if the MOSFETs die like they do in the spin/yank/reverse test, a cutout happens - no doubt
But it also means that cut-out can happen due to one or several separate root causes.

No test covers that yet, and this/these separate problem(s) has/have not been acknowledged or addressed  by Inmotion yet.

My guess here:

• yes a V12 that passes a perfectly executed stress test has significantly lower risk of cutting out due to the blown MOSFET root cause on the short run
  • one or several issues, which lead to 13% of these cutouts still remain

Do you think this sounds correct?

One of those tests where the mosfets where intact ended up failing on the spin test

• Like 3

Wheel doesn't want to free spin anymore. Gives this error. It can still self balance and seems to ride okay (just tested going ~5mph indoors despite it erroring at < 5mph when free spinning)

Anyone else??

IMG_8582.thumb.jpg.09b52a237021faba6d12ea3eece4085e.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spitfire1337 said:

One of those tests where the mosfets where intact ended up failing on the spin test

Very good point.

So hopefully 100% of the wheel which cutoff also fail the test.

But what explains the cutoff for these then, if it's not the MOSFET failure?

Inability to drive the motor correctly by using MOSFET beyond its spec, the same/same which will blow on the stress test?

Ping @RagingGrandpa again 😉

14 minutes ago, ESB said:

Wheel doesn't want to free spin anymore. Gives this error. It can still self balance and seems to ride okay (just tested going ~5mph indoors despite it erroring at < 5mph when free spinning)

Anyone else??

IMG_8582.thumb.jpg.09b52a237021faba6d12ea3eece4085e.jpg

This was 'fixed' or worked-around by disabling "load detection" in the app. But I was able to get it to free spin earlier today without turning that off (and I don't think instructions mentioned that setting). So still a bit confused but /shrug i guess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ESB said:

This was 'fixed' or worked-around by disabling "load detection" in the app. But I was able to get it to free spin earlier today without turning that off (and I don't think instructions mentioned that setting). So still a bit confused but /shrug i guess.

i would expect you need 'load detection' option disabled. cant imagine how it worked with that enabled with your earlier test.

hope this helps,

steve

Curious, what are the ratings of mosfet used in 100V wheels from other manufactures? What does Begode or LeaperKim use?

So now we have to wonder if a wheel is designed with proper safety margins.   Kingsong and Begode have 116v wheels coming out this year.  Do we need to worry that they remembered to up there MOSFETs and other components?  Early adopters suffer again,  roll the dice.  Batch one buyers= extreme risk takers.

• Like 2

So my v12 is on a truck right now from the distributor scheduled for delivery early next week. Would it be prudent to refuse delivery and get a refund or are we looking at a very small percentage of affected units?

• Like 2

Just now, tombo said:

So my v12 is on a truck right now from the distributor scheduled for delivery early next week. Would it be prudent to refuse delivery and get a refund or are we looking at a very small percentage of affected units?

Call your reseller.  Ask him if you can refuse shipment.  It may or may not create more problems just refusing the delivery.

• Like 2

Are these the 100V and 125V Mosfets used in EUC's?

Price difference of about $0.50 between 100V and 125V.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/IRFB4410ZPBF-TO-220-n-P-Channel_1600381554965.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_title.7a152f14B8jJ4H&s=p

IRFB4410ZPBF TO-220 n / P Channel MOSFET semiconductor transistor integrated circuit 100V 97A IRFB4410ZPBF

1 - 99 Pieces  $0.29          100 - 999 Pieces  $0.25         >=1000 Pieces $0.21

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/HY3912W-HY3912-TO-247-190A-125V_1600294106614.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_title.7a152f14B8jJ4H

HY3912W HY3912 TO-247 190A 125V N-Channel Enhancement Mode MOSFET

$0.67 - $0.70/ Piece

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wolverine said:

Unfortunately, replacement of defective 100V power MOSFETs with completely new equivalents or brand-new board with these same power MOSFETs does not solve the problem just as I have written before. This is a huge design oversight from Inmotion. Even if nothing happens according to the tests performed by the drivers, the damage to poorly chosen power MOSFETs will occur over time and at some point, it will fail. A 100.8V system requires a significantly higher voltage power MOSFETs than they are using now (100V).

I totally agree with @yoos, 100V rated power MOSFETs are cutting too close even on an 84V euc (Inmotion V11). But V11 is left with a margin that V12 doesn't have. If you have to choose between buying V11 or V12, then obvious choice is V11.

@Rawnei If I’m not wrong, the power MOSFETs used in the Veteran Sherman are rated for 125V.

INMO and if you read inmotion statement not voltage of mosfets problem all of them has some safety margin ir reality . Problem is bad quality mosfets. And during test not all mosfets burn but just defective mosfets

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tombo said:

at a very small percentage of affected units?

It was rumored/forwarded from a distributors statistic that about ?10%/30%? (Don't remember which;) were affected. But it's a new wheel and failure rate could rise once the riders gets accustomized to the wheel and burden it higher?

The wheel lift test statistics posted here somewhere show a result somewhere in this range (definitely lower than 30%), but sample size is still very low till now (some 15-20 tests?)

4 minutes ago, Paradox said:

Call your reseller.  Ask him if you can refuse shipment.  It may or may not create more problems just refusing the delivery.

If refusal/return is allowed the important point is who bears the cost (and risk) of the return transport!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, skautas2003 said:

INMO and if you read inmotion statement not voltage of mosfets problem all of them has some safety margin ir reality .

Could be true fir breakdown voltage, but still the Safe Operation Area specified fir this mosfet is "borderline" https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/26197-v12-cutout-tracking/?do=findComment&comment=399793

35 minutes ago, skautas2003 said:

Problem is bad quality mosfets. And during test not all mosfets burn but just defective mosfets

Bad quality infineon mosfets should be a problem of buying from dubious sources, vad manufacturing or bad design choices.

If it comes to (dis)trust specified mosfet characteristics i'd choose infineon vs inmotion...

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Paradox said:

So now we have to wonder if a wheel is designed with proper safety margins.   Kingsong and Begode have 116v wheels coming out this year.  Do we need to worry that they remembered to up there MOSFETs and other components?  Early adopters suffer again,  roll the dice.  Batch one buyers= extreme risk takers.

The way they are testing the S20 with all that off-road I'm sure they would find any weakpoints.

• Like 3

What I'm having a hard time reconciling (no EE background!) is that if 100v mosfets are inherently so risky on a 100.8v wheel (out of spec ones aside) then shouldn't chooch have hit issues riding his v12 as hard as he does? He's not a heavy rider but he accelerates and brakes super aggressively and goes off road with it some. We all know chooch I'm sure - and chooch style of riding on the v12 for several months I think would have revealed a problem with the design. No?

Edited by ESB
  • Like 1