INMOTION V12

Mike Roe

8 minutes ago, Patrick Robert said:

The Nikola+ has been equipped with 125V mosfets for a while now :

• Are these Wheels fitted with the newer/upgraded controller?
    Yes, the Nikola+ is equipped with the high-powered HY5012W MOSFETs, rated for up to 300A sustained & 1000A peak output. These offer a substantial boost over the first generation Nikola from 2019.

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-gotway-nikola-1800wh-battery-2000w-motor-3-wide-tire/

The HY5012W is rated for 125V:

https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf/1269423/HOOYI/HY5012W/1

That is a 6 fet system? Vs the 12 fet 

Makes sense why they set 2 120amp fets together to try to achieve what 1 fet can do

21 hours ago, Patrick Robert said:

Would be nice, along with the battery types, etc. Would help informed customers make better purchasing decisions. How many would have said that the V12 is a more powerful wheel if they knew it had worse mosfets than its main competitor (the Nik+)?

But my point was that it took a while for Gotway to respond with a more powerful controller + mosfets for the Nik+, and it seems like Inmotion has done the same mistake with their *first* 100V wheel.

Did Inmotion not know about this when they designed the V12? Especially since they never had gone 100V before? 

At least KS is taking its time testing and perfecting its first 126V offering to make sure they didn't forget anything so obvious. 

I don’t wanna jump to conclusions anymore after the V12 fiasco. I did the mistake once. We don’t know what kind of surprise KS is preparing for us, good or bad. If they use TO247 for a 126V wheel wouldn’t they make a similar mistake InMotion did with V12?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

I have a batch 2 V12 but I cannot do the spin test due to my bad shoulders and wrists. My back is not that great either so I do not want to risk injuring it.

So what would Inmotion do to help V12 riders that cannot do the spin test?

@SanDiegoGuy. You can ask the local groups near you to meat up and test it for you. If your from Cali like your name leads on to be the euc group is huge out there

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

I have a batch 2 V12 but I cannot do the spin test due to my bad shoulders and wrists. My back is not that great either so I do not want to risk injuring it.

So what would Inmotion do to help V12 riders that cannot do the spin test?

Hopefully a friend or neighbor can help you with the test?
However, in some cases (minority so far) the wheel still failed after a successful test.

If you'd like some test still now, you can give a try to the my proposed test #2: significantly easier to execute.
Be aware that it is both unofficial and unconfirmed at this point, so please take its result with a huge grain of salt.

Edited by supercurio
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Planemo said:

And this is where the shit will hit the fan in the western world. If a rider gets seriously hurt (or worse) as a result of a V12 failing due to this fault, even after a dealer has already done the 'stress test', the rider will have every right to go after the dealer for compensation. I know if I was a dealer, there is no way on earth I would be selling ANY V12's right now, even if they did pass the test. It just wouldn't be worth the aggro, or potential financial consequences.

I am pretty sure that resellers are doing their bit to get a resolution from Inmotion. 

How reworks are done in most businesses depends on volume and logistics with a twist of location too. Being a niche product (euc in general) that is why this will cost a lot of money for the manufactory. They know this and will do a lot to avoid situations like this. 

As of safe to ride is below 20-25kmh stated by manual and/or app warning. So the risk each rider accepts when unlocking higher speeds falls back to the operator of the wheel. 

Sueing people or companies is one thing in the US. It is not a clear case in other areas. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I am pretty sure that resellers are doing their bit to get a resolution from Inmotion.

I'm sure they are. In the meantime, there are people out there riding ticking time bombs. Probably because I'm not seeing any recalls or indeed any urgent correspondence from dealers or Inmotion telling people to stop riding them. All I hear about is the useless stress test.

17 minutes ago, Unventor said:

As of safe to ride is below 20-25kmh stated by manual and/or app warning.

Come on, you know as well as I do that you can still get seriously injured on an EUC with a 25kmh cut out.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Unventor said:

So back to the Inmotion situation. Since none know real sales numbers and warrenty claims beside Inmotion themself this will only be speculation. There is only one way to get facts, that is from Inmotion. 

Now Inmotion has posted there are risk of a problem. They also posted they are orchestrated a fix but it will take some time to get this setup and distributed. 

That top part are facts. So looking on the feeling side of this. It is very unfortunate for every one manufactory, resellers and end-customers alike. None wanted this and none profit from this. 

But this doesn't change the current situation no matter how much we like too.

That is the huge difference between facts and opinions. 

I hope it is resolved fast for all parties. But that is a hope only. It does seems that Inmotion is taking this seriously, otherwise they had not posted their announcements on telegram, Instagram and here on the forum. 

Also to keep people informed about this moderators posted a current state warning (pinned in general discussion section), like it has done before when there was a need for it (previous brands have had this all of them). 

So in my opinion right now the only thing to do is wait out for solutions are ready. Keep posting about this will not speed up this anymore. 

And like in cases like this before. Eventually problems are sorted out. 

Agree wait out for solutions can be a fine strategy for yourself, if you feel detached enough from the topic.

Let me ask you tho, let's say you just got your V12, it passed the test Whohoo!! you get delivery of it. You're all excited.
Next day you learn that one of the wheels your dealer tested successfully next to yours, died on a small jump, uh-ho.

• What would do you do?
  • What does waiting mean in this context: waiting for a replacement board to eventually ride your V12? Your MOSFETs didn't burn: you're not supposed to get one.

Second scenario. You must decide within a couple day if you take delivery of your V12, knowing it might not be safe to ride, or cancel your order. To get another one: wait for 6+ months and add 400-500€ to the initial pre-order price.

• What would do you do?
  • What does waiting mean? Waiting is not an option here, a choice has to be made.

Note: that's my own situation right now.

Sure, waiting can works but waiting is passive, it works because others are active while you wait.
Ironically, if you're successful convincing everyone to wait, then there's no value in waiting anymore because the principle of delegating to others by delaying your own action disappears.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 3