Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

2 hours ago, rolis said:

from KS

We are interested in exploring the option to allow riders to maintain the 70kmh meaning tilt back will only start at around 73kmh with a less aggressive tilt. The original is 22 degrees tilt back and we are contemplating a lesser degree. How do you feel about a firmware like this?

This is honestly what I was hoping for - it's not really a useable top speed if the wheel is tilting back at that point.  I hope the riders that have Kingsong's ear agree and convince them to do it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Paul A said:

For the front bumper, maybe use the same type of plastic that is used in CE certified elbow/knee/back/shoulder guards of protective gear?

Highly shock absorbent.

If you mean viscoelastics like D3O then their main advantage (flexible normally but "hard" on impact) is wasted on a bumper. Helmet technology might be more appropriate. 

A thick rubber, like on the V12 will do just fine. It should withstand/cushion a forward drop from standing. That bumper/handle is just a small part on the front of the EUC. No point in developing the perfect high-impact bumper when all the other sides of the wheel are bumperless and a typical tumble hits the EUC all over. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paradox said:

Don't know who or why this video was made.  This is the same video as the facebook post above.

Well that's one way to get your wheel down stairs faster. Beats carrying that thing.

Now we need drop test from 5th floor. :) 

Edited by Funky
  • Haha 2

I don't think any of the suspended wheels will crash as well as the older designs but my dirt bike doesn't come out perfect either. 

If some plastic parts snap and absorb impact but riding out is still doable I think that's as good as it's going to be.

I'm a little sad that Mike said the torque isn't as much as the RST. This can be (and sure it will be) the best off road wheel we've ever had but I'd trade some top end for as much torque as possible. 

The could always make a shorter travel stiffer sprung version in a high speed variant for street riding. 

I'm still super excited for this wheel though! 

• Like 3

@pkinpdx do you get to climb any hills and if you did don't seem to run cool. 

Some of my rides are uphill for miles, of anyone is in socal and has gone up saddleback mnt they know what a strain that puts on the board. So far my RST handles that climb just fine. 

For what I'd want to do with the S20 cooling is very important.

That initial bite on the gotways really helps for slow steep downhill sections, I hope the 20 can tip toe down steep trails with similar confidence. 

I was two main wheels this year, a high speed wheel for commuting, and this one dedicated to off road use. Hoping by the fall production levels and port back logs will be better and these will be more available. 

Thank you for observations!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pkinpdx said:

https://imgur.com/a/45MMwow

ok I took pictures.  I haven’t had a chance to measure my v12 width in comparison but it felt wider but not uncomfortably so.  They had two s20s to demo and they were set up differently.  One set up was significantly softer than they other.  I rode that one first on the street.  It has a surprisingly quick turn in on low speed corners.  It feels I little like the heinadou k66 for low speed on street.  My first turn I dropped further than I expected and it shut off as I exceeded the 40 degree angle.  I was able to catch the wheel before it fell so no harm.  I connected the app and switched it to 70 degree lean angle and it worked no problem. Lower pads felt ok but you really have to jam your toes in to get leverage because of the angle.  Between the ultra squish suspension this one had and the pad setup I struggled to get this beast more than 4 to 5 inches off the ground jumping.  I tried a flat drop off a 2 foot ledge and even with the soft settings didn’t bottom out and it felt like a cloud landing.  Upper pads are annoying and nearly useless.  You can use them for acceleration but you have to have your ass hanging on the ground to touch the back part and even then they are floppy so you can’t get any leverage.  Worthless cosmetic fluff.  
Torque is hard to describe.  For those that have been riding RS torque or the like it will take some getting used too.  Even in hard mode there is no instant bite like gotway wheels have.  It’s super smooth and linear.  That being said, a long time EXN speed rider and a rev rides rider on the s20 raced for about 1/8 mile on a straightaway and the s20 won.  They probably hit mid 40’s in speed.

It is the best stock seated ride I have ever experienced.  If you aren’t racing you should be sitting.

I took the stiffer setup one on a few trails.  I initially felt like I was trying to fit a Cadillac on some single track but after navigating a few obstacles it felt fine.  Goes exactly where you tell it, cruises over minor stuff without thought.  The trail I was on had lots of big roots crossing and after a bit I just ignored anything that wasn’t curb height or more.  It’s really controllable at low speed so highly technical trails should be no problem and if you decide to just stop trying to pick your line the suspension will probably save you.  I didn’t try that approach since it wasn’t my wheel.  The tire is magnificent.  So Much Grip!  I was in wet soil conditions but no mud and I really wanted to rip.  It inspires a lot of confidence.

The plastic front bumper is paper mache but it sounds like king song will make a better one.  We have local entrepreneurs already designing TPU ones. Pedals are fine, better grip than grip tape but I prefer the Clark style spikes for better grip.

i found it easy to pick up in comparison to the s18.  S18 was super slick so trying to grab quick was a pain.  There are lots of places to grab on this beast.  They really do need to stiffen the lift handle though.

I would say the exn vs s20 test confirms it would beat a Sherman.

acceleration and braking both felt great.  I had no need to grab a handle to brake harder.  Super stable at speed.  I probably only took it to 35 or so but in the above race much higher speeds were hit.

lift sender will not activate unless it’s stopped, they are also fixing it so it won’t flop as much.  When you have the seat on it acts as a capture for it so it won’t flop out without effort.  
I checked the functionality of changing the rear light color.  The app has a screen to do so but it currently isn’t working.  Eevees said that they think it’s because it’s preproduction.

sorry… didn’t  test the robustness of the batteries.  Eevees told me to put my hammer back in the car.

Thanks for the great write up @pkinpdx. I guess it's now my job to get good video footage.😁

• Like 3

KS has actuality uploaded the front bumper smash video onto their YouTube channel.

Was KS actually smashing the wheel them self to test it?

Was KS also the ones dropping the S20 onto the ground from a staircase?

Testing video of the front handle material that will be used on the S20 bulk order.

488 views · 12 hours ago

• Haha 2

I am planning on making a stand for the S20.  How high, wide and how far apart do the supports need to be?  I am thinking 6" deep by 10 inches tall and 6 inches clearance between the sides. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Paradox

33 minutes ago, Paradox said:

I am planning on making a stand for the S20.  How high, wide and how far apart do the supports need to be?  I am thinking 6" deep by 10 inches tall and 6 inches clearance between the sides. 

Thoughts?

Make a drive on stand then.. No need to lift, after driving on it automatically stands it self. I made one for my 18xl.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Funky said:

Make a drive on stand then.. No need to lift, after driving on it automatically stands it self. I made one for my 18xl.

I would love to see pictures of your stand.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Could someone that is planning to go hands on with the S20 test reported speed of the wheel compared to GPS see how accurate it is? Thank you 😊🙏

• Like 2