Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

31 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

+1 

I'm very impressed that they performed a destructive test that replicated the fire, and published the result. Kudos, Kingsong.

I wish they would change their fuse rating from 60A to 30A... but if the BMS is working properly, it's fine as-is.

AM-JKLVXuEOgqVRfmYzUc198NU48RGkm9kc03KKF9RraBvOCE8i3bTXOy8F9MvQVAHsqmMNzZDIXIzMUhBt4yEbpvvzLKigNeKegxbvUbUN9gJIMa1P24guMVG-eyB5LXi7YEorf5prSuCgy5a9nkNvqQOKE8A=w1084-h408-no?authuser=0

Did they really perform a destructive test which replicated the fire tho? Or it is their assumption that it would result in a fire, and they were not really up for destroying a perfectly good pack?
This picture highlights how their testing environment is entirely inadequate for a test which will result in the pack catching fire.
The video does not show the pack catching fire.

So maybe they replicated the fire another time away from a camera, and this re-enactment is only for picture taking purposes. The lack of transparency here is unfortunate.

When you made your own destructive battery test @RagingGrandpa everything was recorded and you highlighted what got destroyed in the video.
A shame they did not do that IMO.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Did they really perform a destructive test which replicated the fire tho? Or it is their assumption that it would result in a fire, and they were not really up for destroying a perfectly good pack?
This picture highlights how their testing environment is entirely inadequate for a test which will result in the pack catching fire.
The video does not show the pack catching fire.

So maybe they replicated the fire another time away from a camera, and this re-enactment is only for picture taking purposes. The lack of transparency here is unfortunate.

When you made your own destructive battery test @RagingGrandpa everything was recorded and you highlighted what got destroyed in the video.
A shame they did not do that IMO.

When i first saw this video, i was worried:  What have the planned to do, if the pack explodes and catch fire in the face of the technician ...   what surroundings are they in?  hmmnn

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I think we can fairly safely assume that the red hot nickel strips would have lead to a proper battery fire if the test was continued. I suppose I did find it interesting that there was videos for the remaining tests but just photos for the failure replication.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, supercurio said:

What would you think of an automotive fuse in a holder like that?

Did you see the LiTech guys jump when the in-line fuse blew during their 80A load test video? It'll work, but it's still fun. And probably the fuse holder needs replacing when the fuse does blow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, supercurio said:

In short: what if you drain 70A from the pack continuously:
Wouldn't the strip get red hot already, while the fuse slowly gets to the temperature where it'll blow?

A 60A fuse handling 70A should go pretty quickly but might take several seconds. The strip will get hot for sure, but I don't know how hot. At a continuous 60A draw, the 60A fuse might take a very long time to blow (ref LiTech 80A load test). I have no idea how hot the nickel strips would get but if they're anything like the LiTech packs it doesn't seem like they get that hot.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

I'm impressed they showed anything! 
Imagine what the youtubers would do if KS provided a video of a pack burning down?!  It would be sensationalized out-of-context for clickbait, as fast as people can click.

Fair enough, it's still better than nothing.
I guess I feel like there's something missing to be transparent and thorough as they showed us a solution but not how they reproduced the issue in the first place.

They showed flames. It's smart, and sufficient. 
(Hopefully they drowned it in a bucket as soon as the fireworks started.)

3 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

AM-JKLVXuEOgqVRfmYzUc198NU48RGkm9kc03KKF9RraBvOCE8i3bTXOy8F9MvQVAHsqmMNzZDIXIzMUhBt4yEbpvvzLKigNeKegxbvUbUN9gJIMa1P24guMVG-eyB5LXi7YEorf5prSuCgy5a9nkNvqQOKE8A=w1084-h408-no?authuser=0

Ah interesting you saw flames here, I only saw a spark, the red hot nickel strips but wondered about these vertical orange glowing areas. I can't tell. What do you guys think?

@roghaj in the podcast mentioned they could be reflections due to the translucent plastic layer on top of the BMS.
The description in report says, in the section titled Output short circuit test:

After several output short-circuit tests, the battery output short-circuit fails, and the nickel sheet burns red directly. If the short-circuit continues, the battery will catch fire

From what they shared my understanding was not that they were showing us the fire, nor that it was reproduced here (possibly due to the unsuitable environment). Only that they showed us the red hot nickel strips and stopped right here.

(on fuse vs nickel strip)
Evidently, yes.
Luckily, we don't have to theorize here- it's happened twice now :) 

Yes right, possibly however can we rule out with absolute certainty that it was red hot nickel strips which ignited the fire and not something else.

It happened once in Kingsong's testing, but the exact failure mode during the NYC fire is unproven IMHO until reproduced identically.

And that's still today the main gripe I have with all this. They showed us they fixed a bug they found. They didn't demonstrate they fixed whatever happened during the NYC fire. Instead they merely speculate on what happened (guessing a hall sensor failure) and mention no attempt to reproduce it.

I don't know, maybe I'm too pedantic here; or maybe it is indeed an obvious requirement in methodology.

This is surely a "fault current" - such high draw is not possible during riding. So, a lower-rating fuse would be the appealing choice.

But if the BMS rapid-retry issue is fixed, it shouldn't be possible to glow the strips, so the fuse won't matter except for during multi-point failures (catastrophic physical damage, etc).

I don't know about you guys but by now I lost trust in KingSong's software, remembering things like

It's just a crapshoot IMO. Aside from the main self-balancing loop which is clearly observable, I'm incline to consider all of their safety and algorithm which are not directly out here broken unless proven otherwise, and would not rely on any of them working when needed.
Lack or absence of QC  looks that bad.

I don't like those, since their blade-style connection is not very reliable during high-vibration use. 
Better would be to use a bolted fuse holder like Leaperkim does. Takes up more space, though... if I owned an S22 I'd leave it alone.

Ah yes good point, it would be counterproductive to introduce a point of failure with the fuse holder themselves. Something to look in depth into indeed.
I'm not sure there will be a good opportunity to attach a bolted fuse holder in that case, which is why I was thinking about this kind of automotive fuse holder, hoping the form factor could also help dampen the harshest shocks and vibrations as they're in made of hard rubber.
What would you think about that type held in place with some kind of roam?

I recall these blade connections are used on the 16X motherboard. But clearly they moved away from that.

70A from only 2 cells in parallel (e.g. one S22 pack) is damaging to the cells. We need to prevent it; and there is no need to upsize the connections to support it.

Yes I took 70A as something that would have a good chance to get the nickel strips red hot, stress or damage the cells but not blow the fuse immediately.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, supercurio said:

From what they shared my understanding was not that they were showing us the fire, nor that it was reproduced here (possibly due to the unsuitable environment). Only that they showed us the red hot nickel strips and stopped right here.

Correct. They showed that they could create a situation that has a high likelihood of leading to a fire, but did not show an actual fire.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fryman said:

I would ask the same question.  Only benefit is 35A discharge. Negatives only 4000mah and 250 life cycle. 50e has 5000mah and 500 life cycle. 

4000mAh * 3.7V * 120 = 1776Wh. Assumed range of roughly 70km per cycle times 250 cycles equals roughly 17’500km (10’938 miles) for the capacity to fall to 80%. I personally wouldn’t be troubled by the “low” cycle life at all.

• Like 1

Delivery update from my distributor (Ekolka) - source web: FB
Shortened translation from 23rd of April: Upgrade 20->22 has been done (issues fixed). EUC manufacturing already running. Expected 10th of May departure from KingSong, expectations 45-55days to Czech.

My note: Not sure what has been changed and/or fixed. Not sure if Czech post service will not ruin the delivery times (long tradition). I will share with you in case of any news.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

4000mAh * 3.7V * 120 = 1776Wh. Assumed range of roughly 70km per cycle times 250 cycles equals roughly 17’500km (10’938 miles) for the capacity to fall to 80%. I personally wouldn’t be troubled by the “low” cycle life at all.

That would only be like 1 year of ride experience for some of us(me). I had 15000km after a year. Based on my devices battery health it looks I can do another year and another 15000km, totalling closer 30k before noticing performance loss.

I do like safety but not certain, if the dendrite formations and high use case is safe thing. Any performance loss means device battery life is getting worse and end of life scenario for batterys  draw closer. For safety, batterys change is key or stop using the device before performance goes too bad.

Edited by Tasku
typos
  • Like 1

I don't think they actually recalled the shipment? I read "was this list of improvements worth returning to the manufacturer's warehouse?" as kind of a joke "we hope the improvements were worth the delay" some ambiguous language from the translation there but the emojis tell all.

From KS's list of improvements the one I wonder about is "additionally processed wiring"....... wonder what that is?

I'm still on the fence about maintaining my S22 pre order, and I'm a tired of reading posts about glowing nickle strips

This is all I would need to see to make me feel instantly better about my KS pre order:

Take 5 of your newest, shiniest production S22s with all the software/hardware upgrades and send them to that Ustride guy who blew up the first one.  Have him do his absolute worst to them.  I don't even care if he over torques and smokes the main board on all 5, as long as they don't explode I'm happy.  I'll never be able to ride like that guy so I know I won't fry that board, I just want to see that the battery won't explode in a real world STRESS test. 

10 hours ago, supercurio said:

2022-04-25 12.09.48

@EcoDrift posted on Telegram this: (automatic translation)

They added this comment:

KS clearly omitted to say what prompted them to recall the shipment, which is a regrettable lack of transparency.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

wstuart:  "I'm still on the fence about maintaining my S22 pre order, and I'm a tired of reading posts about glowing nickle strips"

Yea, metoo. 

As someone who already has an S22 I'm wondering if I should get an old metal garbage can to keep it in until I can replace its dead controller and questionable batteries.  I like the high surge batteries option talked about too.  I don't push range and do have speed anxiety vs underpowered wheels into high headwinds like the S18 (and like S22 compared to my 3YO MSX100V).  

Meanwhile, I just put an ewheels deposit in for a Begode Master.  When that arrives I think I might sell what's left of my S22 (obviously there might be a market for S22 parts to keep the 38 remaining prototypes alive).  

And yea, of the 40 prototypes 1 = destroyed by fire and 1 = killed by firmware declared fault (mine). And yea, killed by firmware fault since I can measure my batteries are  both charged over 124V.  (both are >125 now charging that its only charging 1 at a time).

Edited by Elliott Reitz
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

both are >125 now charging that its only charging 1 at a time

I'm a doofus, confusing Master's voltage with S20's. My apologies.

Edited by Tawpie